Wave: Harmonics Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wikipremed PF #220
w4NLD.jpg

wgidw.jpg

How can you assume from the information provided that the current frequency is the 2nd harmonic?

Members don't see this ad.

With one fixed end you can fit a certain amount of standing waves on it.

n = 1 you get 1/4 wavelength

n = 3 you get 3/4 wavelength (this is what we see in the picture)

n = 5 you get 5/4 wavelength

I would just see in the picture that there is 3/4 of a wavelength, so n=3, the next one is n=5.

Oh, this is an interesting question...
At first, I took at look at it and thought the same thing as you; I also thought that the frequency should be based off the formula f = nv/4L for strings.
It turns out there are actually many different cases for strings:

Case 1. 1D - 2 Fixed ends: Lambda = 2L/n and f = nv/2L
Case 2. 1D - 2 Free ends: Lambda = 2L/n and f = nv/2L
Case 3: 1D - 1 Fixed end and 1 Free end: Lambda = 4L/n and f = nv/4L

In this problem, it would be Case 3 since one end is attached to the peg. You can use the formula Lambda = 4L/n; since we know that the string only goes through 3/4 of the wavelength, you can multiply both sides by 3/4 to give (3/4)Lambda = 3L/n and you know the length L is fixed, (3/4)Lambda must still equal L (even though it only goes through 3/4 of the wavelength, it still uses the whole length L) so n = 3. Another way to think about it is to just rearrange the formula to give n=4L/Lambda which will give you the sequence that @Cawolf mentioned

Hope that makes sense! This was actually a great problem to think through and helped me to understand the situation better too :) Thanks! Where did you find these questions?

Also, just of curiosity, @Cawolf I saw in your post, that you are in a Post-Bac program. I was also thinking about Post-Bac programs, so that caught my interest. If I may ask, where are you attending and what do you think of it so far? :)

Members don't see this ad :)