WBC Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pisiform

Oh Crap!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know wbc path - leukemias and lymphoma are pretty easily explained and provided in straightforward manner in pathoma but I still tend to forget the details or mix them up - confuse one for the other.

What ways do you guys use to keep all aml cml etc all straight ? Thnx

Members don't see this ad.

power through it + repetitions + questions.

You start associating things w/o even thinking or trying.

1517aplauerrods

See, I didn't even consciously type that.

Reactions: 1 user
Read the pathoma section every other night before bed for a week, and then again in two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I drew it out several times on white board but it's details that don't stick. I will keep grinding at it I guess every day

Reactions: 1 user
I know wbc path - leukemias and lymphoma are pretty easily explained and provided in straightforward manner in pathoma but I still tend to forget the details or mix them up - confuse one for the other.

What ways do you guys use to keep all aml cml etc all straight ? Thnx
Preach.

The best way for me is to draw the normal pathways of HSC to all the different important blood cell types (e.g. neutrophils, B-cells, etc.) and label each normal branch point with its corresponding disease (e.g. PV near RBCs, Hairy Cell near B-cells, etc.)

Ok here's how I memorized it (not learned) think of these as high yield hints not a substitute for learning the details:
Leukemia arises from Bone Marrow while Lymphoma arises from Lymph.
First I usually divide it age wise which isn't 100 percent accurate but during questions they usually test classical scenarios and real life situations so it mostly works.

Infant-------15 yrs old---------------------------60 yrs old--------Older
_____ALL___________CML or AML____________CLL

It helps deduce certain options.

You can look at onsets like if its acute then think AML or ALL (I know you're thinking "obviously", but surprisingly a lot students don't pay attention to onsets).
For AML think: AML (M3 form) = Auer rods and Vit A (All trans retinoic acid)
For CML think: CML= Abel(bcr-abl) goes to see(C) Philly(Philadelphia chromosome) and buys a Mat(imatinub[a bcr-abl inhibitor]).
For Translocations use only the first number of the translocation with the first letter of the disease:
9P = The 9 looks like a mirror image of P. t(9;22) Philadelphia chromosome CML
8B = The 8 looks like a B with a line. t(8;14) Burkitt's Lymphoma
11M = The 11 looks like a M. t(11;14) Mantle cell lymphoma
14F = Fourteen starts with the letter F. t(14;18) Follicular cell lymphoma
15A = Okay honestly for this I got nothing lol but I just think of double odd numbers. t(15;17) AML

These are just a few small ways to go through questions quicker saving time. I have all the details and mechanisms memorized but these definitely help in test taking and time-saving. And I have about 2 110-page hand-written notebooks, with stuff like this making the detail learning simpler for me, all memorized.

But rmbr there are other countless infos and lab findings that you need to interpret in order to solve questions for example:
-In CML and Leukemoid Reaction the WBC >50,000/mm3 but what differentiates them is that in CML the Leukocyte Alkaline Phosphotase(LAP) score is low while in Leukemoid Reaction the score is normal/high.
-Patients with AML will have High Myeloblasts (blasts) rather than a "few blasts"(Low myeloblasts) as in CML.

As you can see non of those quick high yields explained this which is what you most likely should expect on the Step 1 to be like (NOT EASY). But don't let that scare you lol. The best advice is repetition and questions. Constantly going over materials/content will make it fluid, kind of like a reflex at one point where it should come to you without even thinking.
Good Luck and hope this helped!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Ok here's how I memorized it (not learned) think of these as high yield hints not a substitute for learning the details:
Leukemia arises from Bone Marrow while Lymphoma arises from Lymph.
First I usually divide it age wise which isn't 100 percent accurate but during questions they usually test classical scenarios and real life situations so it mostly works.

Infant-------15 yrs old---------------------------60 yrs old--------Older
ALL CML or AML CLL

It helps deduce certain options.

You can look at onsets like if its acute then think AML or ALL (I know you're thinking "obviously", but surprisingly a lot students don't pay attention to onsets).
For CML think: CML= Abel(bcr-abl) goes to see(C) Philly(Philadelphia chromosome) and buys a Mat(imatinub[a bcr-abl inhibitor]).
For Translocations use only the first number of the translocation with the first letter of the disease:
9.P = The 9. looks like a mirror image of P. t(9;22) Philadelphia chromosome CML
11.M = The 11 looks like a M. t(11;14) Mantle cell lymphoma
14.F = Fourteen starts with the letter F. t(14;18) Follicular cell lymphoma
15A = Okay honestly for this I got nothing lol but I just think of double odd numbers. t(15;17) AML

These are just a few small ways to go through questions quicker saving time. I have all the details and mechanisms memorized but these definitely help in test taking and time-saving. And I have about 2 110-page hand-written notebooks, with stuff like this making the detail learning simpler for me, all memorized.

But rmbr there are other countless infos and lab findings that you need to interpret in order to solve questions for example:
-In CML and Leukemoid Reaction the WBC >50,000/mm3 but what differentiates them is that in CML the Leukocyte Alkaline Phosphotase(LAP) score is low while in Leukemoid Reaction the score is normal/high.
-Patients with AML will have High Myeloblasts (blasts) rather than a "few blasts"(Low myeloblasts) as in CML.

As you can see non of those quick high yields explained this which is what you most likely should expect on the Step 1 to be like (NOT EASY). But don't let that scare you lol. The best advice is repetition and questions. Constantly going over materials/content will make it fluid, kind of like a reflex at one point where it should come to you without even thinking.
Good Luck and hope this helped!

This is money! Thanks man. I know the content and can recall most of the things but this is what I was talking about - small details. This will definitely help.

I had to edit it a bit because the demographics came out weird when I posted. Recheck it. Glad it helped. Now go get that 260+ :astronaut:

9.P = The 9. looks like a mirror image of P. t(9;22) Philadelphia chromosome CML
11.M = The 11 looks like a M. t(11;14) Mantle cell lymphoma
14.F = Fourteen starts with the letter F. t(14;18) Follicular cell lymphoma

This will probably save me. Thx! You should send this to FA team and win a 20$ Amazon gift card ;)

That sounds like a good idea but I have a better idea. I'll publish my own Step 1 Prep book from the 2-3 notebooks I have written down with the easiest mnemonics and the best high yields that have made test taking a breeze for me.

And if ever in the future you guys and I see these in First Aid just make sure you know who put these down first and where the original came from ;)