Weakness and shortcomings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watsupdoc15

schmidty
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the title to this thread sounds like a Jackie Collins novel, but I was curious what everybody's weaknesses or shortcomings are i.e. disorginaization, short temper, yada yada. Were you asked this by interviewers and were they seen as a liability by the interviewer(s)?
I'll start, I personally don't trust anyone other than myself to get things done..."If i want to get it done, gotta do it myself" mentality. I'm also a bit unorganized with stuff outside of school. Your turn. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

In a few interviews, I have said that I am a perfectionist, and I tend to like things to go according to plan. I also said I hated making mistakes and I hated to fail.

The important thing is to remember to follow up with an example of how you are working on your weakness. For instance, after I stated mine, I talked about my research and how it definitely didn't go as I expected, but I got conclusive, meaningful results anyway. I talked about how my mistakes lead to new hypotheses and ideas I hadn't thought of before. And this was a good thing.

The bottom line: Turn it into a positive.

Kendall

I was asked this question on one of my interviews and I rather than just answering the question I got so caught up with wanting to say the right thing that I completely fumbled and I think it has something to do with me not getting admitted (I know there is more to it than that but this definately played a part). It was really a strange experience, it was like half of my brain was giving me answers and then the other half was shooting each and every one of them down because they could be considered bad traits for a potential physician. While this internal battle was occurring in my head I was verbally paralyzed and just kept saying Umm...Err...Well... It was quite pathetic.
:eek:

My advice to all that will encounter this type of question is to not be so preoccupied with saying the right thing. Just be honest, as long as you don't say something extreme I think you will be all right.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) chasing women

2) betting on darts after i've been drinking

I think the most important thing is that after you state your weakness, you should also explain what you have done to address it.

For example, my weakness is public speaking. I have no problem carrying on a conversation in a small group. But, when it comes to speaking in front of a sizeable audience and it is only me speaking, then I don't feel comfortable. I followed that by saying I try to address that weakness by leading lab meetings at my lab and giving presentations of my results in front of my lab.

SKS704 said:
In a few interviews, I have said that I am a perfectionist, and I tend to like things to go according to plan. I also said I hated making mistakes and I hated to fail.

The important thing is to remember to follow up with an example of how you are working on your weakness. For instance, after I stated mine, I talked about my research and how it definitely didn't go as I expected, but I got conclusive, meaningful results anyway. I talked about how my mistakes lead to new hypotheses and ideas I hadn't thought of before. And this was a good thing.

The bottom line: Turn it into a positive.

Kendall

I've been told never to say perfectionist as an answer, because it is the "perfect" positive weakness. It doesn't matter if its true, people assume it isn't, and it's extrmely overused. It is true that you should be able to turn your weakness into a positive or at least show how you are working to change it, but using perfectionist is in many ways turning what many thing is a positive into a negative.

Now back to watching cspan.

I think this a question you definitely have to have an answer ready for. And like was already said, saying that your weakness is that you are a "perfectionist" or that you "work too hard" sounds like BS. Find something that really is a weakness, something that actually does get in your way, but (obviously) find a way to put a positive spin on it.

My weakness? I need to develop my ability to effectively manage people (when in a leadership role) who aren't following through with their responsibilities.

This is a true weakness, and something that most interviewers can probably relate to.

I told my interviewer that my weakness is that sometimes I get very impatient and anxious about things. I also told her that lately everytime I get impatient, I remind myself that things aren't going to happen when I want them to happen. We got into a conversation about how things aren't always going to go as planned and how noone can plan their whole lives to the last minute because there are going to be pitfalls and things that just get in the way. She said that she liked my philosophy and that it applies to medical school. She said that people plan their whole lives and when they get into medical school, they have to make more decisions than they initially thought.

My advice is to be honest. I've been told that they want to know that you are aware of your weaknesses so that you are able to attend to them. The worst weakness is not knowing that you have one because then you won't be able to work on it :)

My weakness is impatience with members of the team who do not pull their own weight. I also have a tendency to get bored easily (but I do not plan on using this one).

watsupdoc15 said:
I know the title to this thread sounds like a Jackie Collins novel, but I was curious what everybody's weaknesses or shortcomings are i.e. disorginaization, short temper, yada yada. Were you asked this by interviewers and were they seen as a liability by the interviewer(s)?
I'll start, I personally don't trust anyone other than myself to get things done..."If i want to get it done, gotta do it myself" mentality. I'm also a bit unorganized with stuff outside of school. Your turn. :rolleyes:

Here's another thread-full of weaknesses:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1972559

I think my biggest weakness is that I expect a lot out of people, sometimes too much and get disappointed when others don't do what they say they were going to do

Weaknesses. Hmm.....

I have very little patience with people who desire to wallow in their ignorance. For example, people who REFUSE to learn. You know the ones I'm talking about (I classify these people as the "truly stupid").

I am impatient with my own failings. Regarding this weakness, it makes me strive to be a better person and overcome my failures.

I am very shy (which rather contradicts my strong personality), and would rather dig a 6' hole and crawl under a boulder than speak in front of a group of people. On the other hand, I am very comfortable in small groups of people I know well, and teach quite well one on one.

I spose three is enough for now. :D

Being that we are all, or most of us are desiring the same thing, i believe that we all share a lot of these. Things such as, the "impatient with people not pulling their weight," "anxiousness", and not being able, or feeling like you can't kick somebody in the ass in a leadership role, and being too hard or expecting a lot of others are probably things we all feel but don't know how the interviewer(s) will view those. As angelinebear said in different words, it's not what your weakness is, it's that you've identified it. At the same time, these "weaknesses" to us could manifest as a very positive character trait in you someday. This is a useful thread for applicants...Any others!?

I think my weakness is not having enough self-confidence. I will be afraid to try something (like going to med school). I am afraid for the fact that i might not get in. I think this weakness have been with me since I was little.

I got asked to list a strength and weakness almost everytime. Here's one I heard someone joking about:

I'm very modest.....and I have no weaknesses.

How about greatest strengths? I was going to say my biggest weakness is my biggest strength as well...i don't know if this falls into the whole perfectionist thing, but I would answer this question in an interview that my biggest strength/weakness is that I am really detail oriented. I am so detail oriented that I lose sight of the big picture...