Weight of First-Gen/Economics without minority status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrShephardWannabe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've searched and found a few threads on the subject but they're all several years old without any adcom input. But I was curious as to how being First-Gen to attend college plays a role in admissions or scholarships, as well as the need to work during school (On/Off, mostly during breaks but I have worked during a few semesters when necessary). I am a Caucasian male so I don't have minority status. I've chosen to sacrifice GPA (Still around a 3.5-3.55 upon application) over EC's, because I do truly enjoy my EC's and I'll have ~200-300 clinical hours, ~200 non clinical hours, and around 500-1000 of research when applying on top of about 750-1000 work hours when applying.

Tl;Dr Can a wealth of EC's, first-gen status, and need to work rationalize a ~3.55 gpa.

Members don't see this ad.

Being first gen college grad may help, but the amplitude of it's effect is probably not very large. I was first gen as well, and it never came up as a topic of discussion for me.

Additionally, I find it difficult to use ECs as a rationale for grades. The first priority of college was still academics, so I think that saying you "sacrificed" that primary goal for a secondary pursuit is a little weak.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to rationalize your GPA in a way that doesn't come off as excuse. The person reading your application will see that you worked/were active and decide how much leeway to give you- writing space is better spent emphasizing your positive qualities. If they just got done reading about someone with your exact same GPA and more difficult circumstances, you pointing out the sacrifices you've made for extracurricular activities won't be viewed in the way you'd like it to be. The "bonuses" you get are out of your control- the fact of the matter is that what schools are looking for varies between schools and even at the same school from year to year.

Reactions: 3 users
You need to rationalize your GPA in a way that doesn't come off as excuse. The person reading your application will see that you worked/were active and decide how much leeway to give you- writing space is better spent emphasizing your positive qualities. If they just got done reading about someone with your exact same GPA and more difficult circumstances, you pointing out the sacrifices you've made for extracurricular activities won't be viewed in the way you'd like it to be. The "bonuses" you get are out of your control- the fact of the matter is that what schools are looking for varies between schools and even at the same school from year to year.
Sweet, focus on the positives. Thanks for the advice!

So I've searched and found a few threads on the subject but they're all several years old without any adcom input. But I was curious as to how being First-Gen to attend college plays a role in admissions or scholarships, as well as the need to work during school (On/Off, mostly during breaks but I have worked during a few semesters when necessary). I am a Caucasian male so I don't have minority status. I've chosen to sacrifice GPA (Still around a 3.5-3.55 upon application) over EC's, because I do truly enjoy my EC's and I'll have ~200-300 clinical hours, ~200 non clinical hours, and around 500-1000 of research when applying on top of about 750-1000 work hours when applying.

Tl;Dr Can a wealth of EC's, first-gen status, and need to work rationalize a ~3.55 gpa.
Fully agree with all of the above statements. Also, do not bring any attention to your "low" GPA, and, if asked, do not make "excuses" as mentioned above. If you take a look at the MSAR, there are a fair amount of medical schools that have average matriculant GPAs of 3.5 (though most are 3.6-3.7+). Also, it's an average, so there are matriculants above and below. I was also a first gen student (non-URM), and, because of this, I had to work 30+ hours per week while being a full-time student in order to support myself. I think it may have marginally helped me gain admission, but I still had all of the research, clinical and non-clinical ECs, shadowing, grades, MCAT, and the like to back it up. Finally, echoing on what @The Helpful Aye Aye said, try not to come off like you believe that you have a situation more difficult than most because you have had to support yourself while in college. Sure, many applicants seem to come from affluent backgrounds and do not have to support themselves, but many others have endured adversity that we cannot even imagine. Emphasize your positive qualities without coming off as "look how I had to work while others didn't," and DO NOT say you sacrificed GPA for ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
Fully agree with all of the above statements. Also, do not bring any attention to your "low" GPA, and, if asked, do not make "excuses" as mentioned above. If you take a look at the MSAR, there are a fair amount of medical schools that have average matriculant GPAs of 3.5 (though most are 3.6-3.7+). Also, it's an average, so there are matriculants above and below. I was also a first gen student (non-URM), and, because of this, I had to work 30+ hours per week while being a full-time student in order to support myself. I think it may have marginally helped me gain admission, but I still had all of the research, clinical and non-clinical ECs, shadowing, grades, MCAT, and the like to back it up. Finally, echoing on what @The Helpful Aye Aye said, try not to come off like you believe that you have a situation more difficult than most because you have had to support yourself while in college. Sure, many applicants seem to come from affluent backgrounds and do not have to support themselves, but many others have endured adversity that we cannot even imagine. Emphasize your positive qualities without coming off as "look how I had to work while others didn't," and DO NOT say you sacrificed GPA for ECs.
Right, I should have reworded "sacrifice." I've never willingly volunteered knowing in my head "Well I'm going to fail this exam tomorrow but it's alright." Mostly what had happened was I didn't really see the toll of all my EC's and commitments until I ended up with a 2.7 one semester. Basically my time management sucked back then and I couldn't handle everything whereas I now do 15 hours of research a week, 5 of clinical volunteering, and 2 of non, while maintaining a 3.75+ in upper divisions.

I'll take your advice and try to emphasize the aspects of learning time management and academic importance.

Question: I was asked by a woman on a med school admissions committee why I stopped working in one of my labs. I said that it was because their funding was tight and they could no longer afford to pay me, so, as a work-study student, I needed to find a new job. She said that I shouldn't say that because it is negative and I sound like I am complaining. Is that a normal response or was she just particularly grumpy? That's kind of exactly the reason I left (I was hoping to do an honors thesis in that lab). Do I just say that reason and add "but it gave me the chance to do blahblahblah?"

Last edited:
Question: I was asked by a woman on a med school admissions committee why I stopped working in one of my labs. I said that it was because their funding was tight and they could no longer afford to pay me, so, as a work-study student, I needed to find a new job. She said that I shouldn't say that because it is negative and I sound like I am complaining. Is that a normal response or was she just particularly grumpy? That's kind of exactly the reason I left (I was hoping to do an honors thesis in that lab). Do I just say that reason and add "but it gave me the chance to do blahblahblah?"

I'd rephrase it to "I would have liked to have stayed in that lab, it was a great learning environment (or a very productive team or whatever nice you can say about it) but when the funding wasn't there to support my work-study stipend, I had to move on. The new position did give me a chance to blahblah..."

I don't see that as negative, but as a pragmatic reason for needing to find a new job.

Reactions: 1 users