Wellbutrin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoTexas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between bupropion SA and bupropion SR? I have a pt on SA but formulary only allows SR.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the difference between bupropion SA and bupropion SR? I have a pt on SA but formulary only allows SR.

You sure it's SA?

As far as I know, there's only SR (dosed BID) and XL (dosed QD).

Members don't see this ad :)
??
I think the VA has SA vs SR...
??
That's the old instant-release? The one that triggered seisures in people? Back when I was a resident, we certainly had the SR formulation available. You might want to check with the VA Pharmacist.

If I am not mistaken, "bupropion SA" is what the generic 12-hr formulation is called in the VA formulary. So for all intents and purposes, "bupropion SA" = Wellbutrin SR. This one is dosed twice daily, but as noted above, should be given in the a.m. and no later than 2pm due to its activating effect.

I am not sure what the VA's name is for the once-daily formulation (ie, the generic equivalent of Wellbutrin XR).

Those are 2 questions I would put to the pharmacy that filled the Rx:
What is bupropion SA? What exactly does the "SA" stand for?
What formulations of bupropion are on the formulary?

It is, indeed, possible that the label is a simple typo.

Nowadays, when I write a Rx or order for bupropion, I always write "Wellbutrin" so that no one will confuse it with buspirone. And I always follow that with "SR," or "XL," or "reg" (so no pharmacist or nurse will assume I must have meant SR or XL, since some don't seem to know that "reg" still exists).

I had a similar problem when a pt showed up with a bottle labeled "Budeprion SR XL." There was obviously a typo on the label, but I didn't know which was the mistake, the "XL" or the "SR". I couldn't just go by the dosing (qDay vs BID), since I've seen several docs in the area prescribe XL to be taken BID, and many of us start SR just once per day. Unfortunately, the pharmacist refused to look up the computer record of which stock bottle he pulled the pills from, and just told me, "Oh, it's probably XL because I wouldn't have typed that onto the label if it wasn't XL." Not terribly comforting.

FYI, I've been switching people at the VA from SR to XL. It's not hard, just have to talk with the outpt pharmacist and put in for a non-forumulary request.

FYI, I've been switching people at the VA from SR to XL. It's not hard, just have to talk with the outpt pharmacist and put in for a non-forumulary request.
Sometimes, two doses of SR gives a bit extra energy than the XL, which mainly only covers motivation.