Western University execs under fire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BME103

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203~21481~1438337,00.html

Records show loans, advances exceeded $400,000 to top school officials

By WILL MATTHEWS
STAFF WRITER

POMONA ? Top executives at Western University of Health Sciences have given themselves more than $400,000 in cash advances on salaries and zero-interest loans since 1981, according to university documents.

University President Philip Pumerantz approved more than $250,000 worth of salary advances for himself between 1981 and 1990, according to documents made public this week within a court filing by a former school official who was fired after alleging financial improprieties at the university.

By 1991, Pumerantz had repaid the university most of that amount, but during the 1990s he received at least $74,000 in additional salary advances, according to the documents.

By the end of 1999, Pumerantz owed the university more than $60,000, documents show.

Pumerantz refused to be interviewed Thursday about executive salary advances and loans.

In a statement released Thursday by the university, Pumerantz said Western adheres to the highest standard of financial practices.

"The university takes any allegations about financial reporting very seriously, and rigorous practices are in place to ensure the integrity of university financial practices," Pumerantz said in the statement.

Supervising Deputy Attorney General Jim Cordi said he could not comment on the Western University case, but said loans from a non-profit organization to any of its trustees, officers or directors are against state and federal law.

"There are no prohibitions against making loans to employees, but giving loans to officers and trustees is prohibited," Cordi said. "Directors and officers are in a position to control the corporation, and they could possibly take advantage of that control."

Cordi said this week that he could not discuss whether his office is investigating Western's financial practices as a matter of department policy.

Pumerantz is the founding president of the school, which opened in a small East Second Street storefront in 1977 and has since expanded to take up a large part of East Second Street.

Mark L. Wallace, Western's executive director of communications, said this week that the university had a practice in place through 1999 in which top employees could take loans against the dollar value of accumulated vacation time.

"That is not a practice at Western anymore," Wallace said this week.

The internal university documents were made public as part of a court filing by the school's former director of human resources, Sinclair Hugh. They include memos from top executives to the school's payroll department requesting -- and approving -- the loans as well as an itemized list of the cash advances extended to Pumerantz.

Hugh, who was hired by the university in 1999, was fired in April after he alleged to the state Attorney General and the Internal Revenue Service that Pumerantz and others had engaged in financial practices that Hugh believed to be unethical and a violation of state and federal laws.

He has sued the university for unfair termination, believing he was fired for blowing the whistle on decades of financial improprieties.

"What these people have been doing is taking money that is not theirs and and using it for personal use," said Russ Thomas, an Irvine-based attorney representing Hugh. "These are funds donated by people who think the money was going to be used by the school. Instead, the money was used for personal reasons, for things the money shouldn't have been used for."

Craig Lenz, dean of Western's School of Osteopathic Medicine, has also filed complaints with the Attorney General and the IRS alleging financial impropriety.

Western has filed a lawsuit against Hugh, alleging he has knowingly made false accusations against the university in an effort to defame its reputation.

Though Pumerantz was the recipient of the biggest salary advances, university records show that at least two other top executives - neither still working for Western - also received tens of thousands of dollars in no-interest loans from the university, all characterized as "salary advances."

Stuart Wiener, Western's former executive vice president of finance and administration, approved for himself salary advances of more than $65,000 between 1989 and 1997, university records show.

An internal university memo, dated Dec. 2, 1991, shows that Wiener agreed to pay back the money at a rate of $50 per pay period.

Reached by phone Thursday at his Riverside home, Wiener refused to comment.

Internal university documents also show that Marlene Miller, Western's former vice president of facilities and human resources, received $15,700 in advances between 1982 and 1990 and paid back $9,900 by Aug. 29, 1991.

Between 1991 and 1997, Miller approved for herself over $38,000 in salary advances, records show.

Miller did not return phone calls Thursday to her Ontario home.

A Feb. 6, 1998 memo from Miller to Wiener shows that Miller requested to reduce her repayments to Western from $50 per pay period to $5 per pay period.

Wiener approved the request, records show.

Wallace refused to discuss when Wiener and Miller left the university or whether they repaid all of their outstanding debt.

An internal memo from Wiener to the university's business office also shows the university agreeing to pay all of Miller's Social Security taxes, including both her employee portion and the college's normal employers' portion.

In its financial statements filed with the IRS for the 1998 fiscal year, university officials said they did not engage in any loaning of money or other extensions of credit to any trustees, directors, officers, creators, key employees or members of their families.

University records show that Pumerantz approved for himself an $8,000 salary advance on April 10, 1998.

Wallace said the university's filings for additional years were in storage and could not be immediately provided.

Warren Lawless, chairman of Western's Board of Trustees, said Friday that he has no reason to doubt the integrity of Pumerantz or any other top university official, and that he believes the financial practices of the university have been both ethical and legal.

"I do know for one thing that we have satisfied the IRS (between 1981 and 1999)," Lawless said. "All of our accounting has been very precisely audited, and we have met all of the standards and covenants required of us in terms of the bond holders for the indebtedness that we have incurred to construct the university. We have also been able to build from a single penny store to where we are now in just 25 years. That, I think, speaks for itself."

Will Matthews can be reached by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at (909) 483-9333.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the ramifications of all this? I don't want to work all these years to become a DO and end up at the Enron of medical schools. Is there a chance that the school could be shut down? "Opps...Sorry Nater..We accidentely shredded your transcipts with our financial records." Throw us applicants a bone here. Should we stay away from COMP?

Slickness, I was really interested in COMP until I stumbled on this forum. Is it lots of unhappy students and a few optomists? Either way you don't see these kinds of posts about other schools. Whether COMPS really good or really bad, something is going on there and the news of these shady loans floating back and forth among the admin is a major redflag. Disenchanted students or overly optomistic students aside, COMP's finances have been called into question and the state's attorney general is investigating. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Certainly one can draw their own conclusions to what the OP intends by these posts.

This is my take:

The founder of the school is accused of giving himself some unauthorized no-interest loans.

The president of osteopathic medical school is lending his weight to the charges.

The founder of the university is *not* the president of the medical school.

Now, this article would cause me more pause if it spotlighted the president of the medical school, which it does not. In fact, it makes me think that the president of the medical school has little to hide if he's lending his weight to the charges, because his past is sure to be investigated now.

The amount of money being mentioned is, in institutional terms, chicken feed. If the disappearance of less than a million dollars is enough to put an entire institution in financial jeopardy, then I certainly *would*be worried. But there has yet to be any articles about the financial health of the university in relation to these charges.

C'mon, people, you can dig up dirt about scandals at almost every school if you really wanted to.

The alleged negative actions of the university president have nothing to do with the fiscal health of the medical school under it, nor does it speak to the quality of the program.

If the president of Harvard University is caught in some crime, would this cause people to think differently about the subunits of Harvard? I certainly wouldn't, though I'd think differently about the *president* of Harvard University.

Separate the person in the institution with the *institution* and I think you'll see they are not one in the same.

- Tae

"Craig Lenz, dean of Western's School of Osteopathic Medicine, has also filed complaints with the Attorney General and the IRS alleging financial impropriety."

Why would the Dean of the medical school also file complaints? This just seems odd....with all of the politics at just about EVERY medical school out there...this just doenst seem like a smart move for Lenz (unless he's trying to cover his own ass) -

Maybe the COM will break away from Western U. and operate autonomously......

care

Since it is inevitable that the word has been getting out about COMP's reputation, I might as well share how many of us feel about the situation. If you do go back to all the posts about COMP, you will notice that we started 2 really long threads from the DO Class of 2005. Browsing back to those threads, I have seen the transformation from "happy enthusiastic med students" to "why did I come here, are we in Kansas anymore" attitudes. True, there are many threads about COMP, many dealing with the same issues over and over and over again. Some may be exaggerated, and others closer to the truth. The fact of the matter is, that with all this publicity, COMP will surely get a "bad wrap". As a 1st year med student 2 years ago, I actively answered many and all the questions incoming students had as they toured the campus. The attitudes ranged from "I love this school because so and so said this about it..." to "I wouldn't come here unless this is the only school I get accepted to..." This year, I noticed the same attitude for the prospective 2007 students. It is unfortunate to hear that a school I will be graduating from is getting a bad reputation. Colleagues and classmates alike are just hoping to get through all this, mostly remaining quiet and hoping things will get better. Our class in general appears to ignore the current issues because many of us are used to all the issues/drama at COMP that we have had to endure. To us, it's just another routine. Is there an advantage to all this? Maybe. If any premeds do consider applying here ask yourself a few questions. Do you consider yourself a strong person? a go getter? an independent learner? If you answered yes to all these questions, then these issues shouldn't even concern you because you'll do just fine here at COMP. This school is definitely not for the weak at heart. You will get worked. You will get tired. You may even complain. But the bottom line, when you've gone through it all, you will still be a DO!

Some of you might be concerned about COMP's future. I can't really answer that question for you...even I myself do not know anything for sure. What I do know is that COMP, the dean and it's faculty, are working very hard to make COMP a better place for both themselves and the students. I'm not hear to convince you all to apply to COMP, b/c as I said earlier, this school is not for everyone. I'm just here to relieve the tension and "exaggerated rumors" that may be spreading on these message boards. I can't necessarily blame the posters for posting all these negative comments about COMP, I just hope they channel that energy into improving COMP in any way that they can. As for all my colleagues out there, the best that we can do now is show them that we're competent, capable, and caring student physicians as we rotate from one hospital to the next. Peace.

Rob C.
OMS-III
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific

P.S. If there are any questions any of you may not feel comfortable in asking on this public forum, just PM me and I can answer them for you.

You have the dean filing complaints with the attorney general..the founder of the school using it as his own personal piggy bank...You know what's the worst..Is that there are a lot of good talented doctors coming out of that school but a few administrations pinheads cast a shadow over everything. I'm sure the students at COMP are quality. If only they could get some quality admin people. :mad:

Originally posted by BME103
http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203~21481~1438337,00.html

Records show loans, advances exceeded $400,000 to top school officials

By WILL MATTHEWS
STAFF WRITER

POMONA ? Top executives at Western University of Health Sciences have given themselves more than $400,000 in cash advances on salaries and zero-interest loans since 1981, according to university documents.

University President Philip Pumerantz approved more than $250,000 worth of salary advances for himself between 1981 and 1990, according to documents made public this week within a court filing by a former school official who was fired after alleging financial improprieties at the university.

By 1991, Pumerantz had repaid the university most of that amount, but during the 1990s he received at least $74,000 in additional salary advances, according to the documents.

By the end of 1999, Pumerantz owed the university more than $60,000, documents show.

Pumerantz refused to be interviewed Thursday about executive salary advances and loans.

In a statement released Thursday by the university, Pumerantz said Western adheres to the highest standard of financial practices.

"The university takes any allegations about financial reporting very seriously, and rigorous practices are in place to ensure the integrity of university financial practices," Pumerantz said in the statement.

Supervising Deputy Attorney General Jim Cordi said he could not comment on the Western University case, but said loans from a non-profit organization to any of its trustees, officers or directors are against state and federal law.

"There are no prohibitions against making loans to employees, but giving loans to officers and trustees is prohibited," Cordi said. "Directors and officers are in a position to control the corporation, and they could possibly take advantage of that control."

Cordi said this week that he could not discuss whether his office is investigating Western's financial practices as a matter of department policy.

Pumerantz is the founding president of the school, which opened in a small East Second Street storefront in 1977 and has since expanded to take up a large part of East Second Street.

Mark L. Wallace, Western's executive director of communications, said this week that the university had a practice in place through 1999 in which top employees could take loans against the dollar value of accumulated vacation time.

"That is not a practice at Western anymore," Wallace said this week.

The internal university documents were made public as part of a court filing by the school's former director of human resources, Sinclair Hugh. They include memos from top executives to the school's payroll department requesting -- and approving -- the loans as well as an itemized list of the cash advances extended to Pumerantz.

Hugh, who was hired by the university in 1999, was fired in April after he alleged to the state Attorney General and the Internal Revenue Service that Pumerantz and others had engaged in financial practices that Hugh believed to be unethical and a violation of state and federal laws.

He has sued the university for unfair termination, believing he was fired for blowing the whistle on decades of financial improprieties.

"What these people have been doing is taking money that is not theirs and and using it for personal use," said Russ Thomas, an Irvine-based attorney representing Hugh. "These are funds donated by people who think the money was going to be used by the school. Instead, the money was used for personal reasons, for things the money shouldn't have been used for."

Craig Lenz, dean of Western's School of Osteopathic Medicine, has also filed complaints with the Attorney General and the IRS alleging financial impropriety.

Western has filed a lawsuit against Hugh, alleging he has knowingly made false accusations against the university in an effort to defame its reputation.

Though Pumerantz was the recipient of the biggest salary advances, university records show that at least two other top executives - neither still working for Western - also received tens of thousands of dollars in no-interest loans from the university, all characterized as "salary advances."

Stuart Wiener, Western's former executive vice president of finance and administration, approved for himself salary advances of more than $65,000 between 1989 and 1997, university records show.

An internal university memo, dated Dec. 2, 1991, shows that Wiener agreed to pay back the money at a rate of $50 per pay period.

Reached by phone Thursday at his Riverside home, Wiener refused to comment.

Internal university documents also show that Marlene Miller, Western's former vice president of facilities and human resources, received $15,700 in advances between 1982 and 1990 and paid back $9,900 by Aug. 29, 1991.

Between 1991 and 1997, Miller approved for herself over $38,000 in salary advances, records show.

Miller did not return phone calls Thursday to her Ontario home.

A Feb. 6, 1998 memo from Miller to Wiener shows that Miller requested to reduce her repayments to Western from $50 per pay period to $5 per pay period.

Wiener approved the request, records show.

Wallace refused to discuss when Wiener and Miller left the university or whether they repaid all of their outstanding debt.

An internal memo from Wiener to the university's business office also shows the university agreeing to pay all of Miller's Social Security taxes, including both her employee portion and the college's normal employers' portion.

In its financial statements filed with the IRS for the 1998 fiscal year, university officials said they did not engage in any loaning of money or other extensions of credit to any trustees, directors, officers, creators, key employees or members of their families.

University records show that Pumerantz approved for himself an $8,000 salary advance on April 10, 1998.

Wallace said the university's filings for additional years were in storage and could not be immediately provided.

Warren Lawless, chairman of Western's Board of Trustees, said Friday that he has no reason to doubt the integrity of Pumerantz or any other top university official, and that he believes the financial practices of the university have been both ethical and legal.

"I do know for one thing that we have satisfied the IRS (between 1981 and 1999)," Lawless said. "All of our accounting has been very precisely audited, and we have met all of the standards and covenants required of us in terms of the bond holders for the indebtedness that we have incurred to construct the university. We have also been able to build from a single penny store to where we are now in just 25 years. That, I think, speaks for itself."

Will Matthews can be reached by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at (909) 483-9333.

Some one else has already posted this article earlier, don't know why you bother to post it again

Hey Kpax,
Thanks for re-posting the entire friggin article...really clarified things...

Originally posted by GDubDO
Hey Kpax,
Thanks for re-posting the entire friggin article...really clarified things...

You are very welcome
happy reading

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%7E21481%7E1448036,00.html

Western University board of trustees will meet to talk on salary advances

POMONA - The Board of Trustees of Western University of Health Sciences will meet Saturday to discuss published reports that top-level executives granted themselves salary advances and zero-interest loans over a two-decade period.

The meeting was called this week by Western President Philip Pumerantz.

Internal university documents show that Pumerantz and other executives gave themselves over $400,000 in salary advances between 1981 and 1999.

"I'm sure that (Pumerantz) will explain the situation as he sees it, but beyond that I haven't a clue as to what he will talk about," said Western trustee Sam Tanenbaum. "He has been very vigorous thus far in saying that he hasn't done anything wrong."

Pumerantz has refused to comment publicly about the salary advances.

Internal university documents - including memos from Pumerantz and other executives requesting and approving for themselves hundreds of thousands of dollars in salary advances - were made public last week as part of a court filing by Western's former director of human resources Sinclair Hugh, who is suing the university for wrongful termination.

Hugh was fired in late April after complaining to the state Attorney General and the Internal Revenue Service about decades of financial practices that he believes to be in violation of the law.

The university is also suing Hugh alleging he made false accusations in an intentional attempt to defame Western's reputation.

- Will Matthews, (909) 483-9333

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%7E23127%7E1445641,00.html?search=filter

Records raise questions that need answering

The revelations about the financial practices of Western University of Health Sciences raise troubling questions about the school's management. University records released in a court filing show top executives giving themselves cash advances and zero-interest loans since 1981.

Allowing top officers to approve huge loans to themselves asks for trouble. Where are the checks and balances?

University President Philip Pumerantz approved more than $250,000 worth of salary advances for himself between 1981 and 1990. He repaid most of that amount by 1991, but received a further $74,000 in salary advances during the 1990s. Two other top executives, neither of whom work for Western any more, also received tens of thousands of dollars in salary advances.

These advances operated as interest-free loans. The executives could pay the money back over time, without the fuss of interest charges such as banks or other lenders would require. And the payments could be cheap: One recipient was allowed to repay the money at a rate of $5 a month.

The Attorney General's Office declined to comment specifically on the case, but pointed out that loans from a non-profit organization to its trustees, officers or directors violate state and federal law.

The university says its financial practices comply with the law and the highest standards, and adds that the documents released so far don't present the full picture.

If that's the case, it must make a fuller explanation of these events if it hopes to avoid damaging the credibility of its leadership.

http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~1470273,00.html

Western records show payments, family ties
By WILL MATTHEWS, Staff Writer

POMONA - Western University of Health Sciences records show the son of a university trustee was paid more than $1.3 million over five years while serving as the school's construction coordinator.
University records also show that a former school executive, who approved for herself tens of thousands of dollars in salary advances and zero-interest loans while employed by Western, was paid more than $100,000 as a consultant after leaving the university.

The records also show that a business owned by the husband of the former executive was paid $111,088 for carpet work for the university.

Payments and advances are shown in tax documents filed by Western and in university documents made public this month as part of a court filing by a former employee, who claims he was unfairly fired for disclosing financial impropriety on the part of Western executives. The university has denied any impropriety.

Bob McGwire, son of Western trustee John McGwire, was employed by the university from 1996 through 2000, university filings with the Internal Revenue Service show.

The records show that Bob McGwire's salary ranged from $217,308 per year to $310,860 per year during his time as Western's construction coordinator.

In 1996, Bob McGwire's salary of $300,000 exceeded the $234,191 salary of Western University President Philip Pumerantz.

In 1997, Bob McGwire's salary was $217,308, the records show, and his salary was $234,154 in 1998, $223,979 in 1999 and $310,860 in 2000.

Bob McGwire, the brother of former major league baseball star Mark McGwire, also received $67,153 in benefits and deferred compensation during his tenure at Western, and $19,024 in other allowances.

Bob McGwire said Friday his job was to manage all construction projects at the university.

He said his employment had nothing to do with his father being a member of the university's board of trustees.

John McGwire also said that his son's employment at Western had nothing to do with his being a university trustee.

"As far as his salary and the president's, I really am not privy to that information,' John McGwire said. "I don't ask my kids how much they make. That is sort of a ticky-tack situation.'

A university spokesman declined to state Bob McGwire's job description, but did say that "there has been a steady stream of construction' at Western during the past decade.

Over the past several years, the university has built a library and remodeled several former Second Street department stores in Pomona for use by the university's College of Osteopathic medicine, said Mark Wallace, Western's executive director of communications.

University tax documents show that Marlene Miller, Western's former vice president of facilities and human resources, was paid $114,173 in 2001 by the university as an independent contractor for unspecified consulting services.

Vaughn Miller Carpet, owned by Marlene Miller's husband, was paid $111,088 in 2000 to do unspecified carpet work for the university, Western tax records show.

Marlene Miller, who was not employed by Western when she was paid as a consultant, approved for herself $53,700 in salary advances and zero-interest loans between 1981 and 1997 while she was employed by Western, university documents show.

Vaughn Miller on Friday referred all questions to Los Angeles-based attorney Gloria Allred.

Allred on Friday declined to comment about Western University and said she could neither confirm nor deny that she was representing the Millers.

Hundreds of pages of internal university documents were made public earlier this month as part of a court filing by Sinclair Hugh, Western's former director of human resources.

The documents show that top university executives, including Miller and Pumerantz, approved for themselves more than $400,000 in salary advances and zero-interest loans between 1981 and 1999.

The documents show that Pumerantz approved more than $250,000 in salary advances for himself between 1981 and 1990.

By 1991, Pumerantz had repaid most of that amount, but during the 1990s he received at least $74,000 in additional salary advances, according to the documents. Hugh alleges he was fired for alerting the state attorney general and the IRS about executive advances and loans.

University officials deny Hugh's allegations and have sued him for allegedly trying to defame the university.

Craig Lenz, dean of the university's College of Osteopathic Medicine, has also filed a complaint with the attorney general and the IRS alleging financial impropriety on the part of Western executives.

A deputy attorney general in the charitable trusts section of the Attorney General's Office has said she is reviewing the financial practices of Western University.

Pumerantz was unavailable for comment, and Western spokesman Wallace declined to comment on Bob McGwire's employment at Western or the employment of Marlene and Vaughn Miller.

"We'll take the questions and answer them through the litigation process,' Wallace said. "That is the only place we are protected in addressing these issues.'

Additionally, internal university records show that Beth Katz, Pumerantz's daughter, was employed by Western during at least 1999 and 2000 as a part-time employee.

On July 1, 1999, records show, Katz's classification was changed from part-time university adviser to staff development associate.

Her salary as a part-time employee was increased from $33,000 a year to $36,300 a year, records show.

Wallace said university officials would not comment on Katz's employment at Western and would not say whether she is still employed by the university.

Internal university documents also show that between March 2000 and March 2002, the university paid for life insurance policies for both Pumerantz and his wife, Harriet Pumerantz.

On March 17, 2000, records show, the university made a $720.32 quarterly premium payment for a long-term care coverage policy on behalf of Harriet Pumerantz.

Quarterly payments in the same amount were made on behalf of Harriet Pumerantz on June 30, 2000, and Sept. 29, 2000.

University records also show a semi-annual premium payment of $3,450, for a $500,000 life insurance policy, was made by the university on Dec. 1, 2000, on behalf of Harriet Pumerantz.

A payment in the same amount on behalf of Harriet Pumerantz for the same life insurance policy was also made on May 19, 2000, university records show.

Records also show the university made a $5,030 payment on March 16, 2001 on behalf of Philip Pumerantz for a life insurance policy.

"Private universities will provide presidents with homes,' Wallace said. "Knowing that about private universities and the kinds of benefits that private universities provide their presidents, I don't know why this is being picked out of the air.'

Members don't see this ad :)
To Prospective, Students and Friends of Western University,

In a similar spirit to the opinions which have been voiced in this forum, we too at the university are concerned about the unfavorable media coverage which we have recently received. Unfortunately, legitimate legal constraints have prevented us from responding as completely as we would like to the newspaper?s queries. As certain legal proceedings move forward in the near future, we will be able to provide additional information that will answer all the questions that have been raised. These are issues that we wish to address in the court room and not on the pages of our local paper. Your patience and understanding in these times is greatly appreciated.

Also, viewers of this forum should know that Western University is a fiscally strong institution with 1,500 students, 4,500 alumni and 26 years of tradition that in the long-run, will not be stunted by these events. Our mission to train competent, compassionate health professionals will continue, as will the development of the university.

Any further inquiries on this matter can be directed to Mark Wallace, executive director of communications, at (909) 469-5205 or by e-mail at [email protected].

Thank you.

I am glad to see that the president of Western University has received my email about this forum. I want this to be a fair exchange of information.

To my knowledge, this is the first time I have seen Western U. staff post on this forum although I am quite certain that COMP/WUHS administration has known about these forums for quite some time. In light of what does seem to be the work of a few disgruntled people to raise more "noise" about the school in general, (not just related to recent events followed by the media) it only seems logical that there would be a response from someone representing the university as these public forums are widely used by prospective applicants as well as perhaps the general public to gain access to valuable input and feedback by students and professionals in regards to medical training.

One such example of what I am referring to has been this message thread regarding a certain number of students lost in the DO2006 class. I certainly hope there is a fair exchange of information, but due to the different nature of recent events, I would have to say it is hard for most outsiders and students to really know the full story until some more time passes. With all this in mind, I doubt our medical school is going anywhere and we will still be training competitive and compassionate future physicians in the years to come.

Lanny Hsu
OMS-III
WUHS/COMP

Well said...
About 2 disgruntled people, perhaps university dropouts continues to post these articles on line, which is pointless when you can just go on www.dailybulletin.com to do a search. Or check out www.westernu.edu for more info.
Then again, if they actually take out time to post these stuff online, further justifies my point, because they really have all the time in the world. ;)

WESTERN UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES
University Communications/News Release
June 26, 2003

DEAN OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICAL SCHOOL RESIGNS POST

POMONA, CA - After almost four years of distinguished service, Craig, J. Lenz, DO, FAODME, is announcing his resignation as Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP) at Western University of Health Sciences.
In a short statement, Dr. Lenz said, ?I want to inform my college and the University community of a decision that I have made. Effective July 1, 2003, I am resigning my position for personal reasons.?
His statement continues, ?I cannot express the pride that I have in the accomplishments of the team with which I have been privileged to work these past four years. We have made advances at the College of Osteopathic Medicine. There needs to be more. So I entreat everyone to move forward and work with any new dean who is selected to lead you in the coming years.?
Dr. Lenz concluded with, ?I will miss you all and never forget my time here.? Dr. Lenz began his service at Western University as the Assistant Dean of Clinical Affairs in 1999. In 2000 he was appointed as Dean of COMP.
?Among his many accomplishments, Dr. Lenz has built the number of rotation sites for our students from six to over 74 with more sites in the process of being established,? said Philip Pumerantz, President of Western University. Rotation sites are where third and fourth year students get practical experience working with patients alongside practicing physicians and other healthcare practitioners in the various disciplines of medicine.
more
Page 2
Dr. Pumerantz added, ?Dr. Lenz also taught our students about professionalism. He had clear expectations on how our medical students
cared for their patients and how they presented themselves as future doctors.?
While the University begins a national search to replace Dr. Lenz, the services of an Interim Dean have been secured. Benjamin L. Cohen, DO, FACOP, will serve as the Interim Dean of COMP beginning July 1, 2003. Dr. Cohen retired from service as Executive Vice President and Dean of the Osteopathic Medical School at the University of North Texas, for ten years and has a long and distinguished career as a physician and educator.
###

Executive Director of Communications
909-469-5205

:laugh: :clap:

hmpf....I met Lenz a while back when interviewing at Western...seemed like a nice guy. Any idea where he is off to next?

care

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203~21481~1480205,00.html

Western, whistleblower settle
College dean to receive cash, benefits; Western assured he won't file more complaints

By WILL MATTHEWS
STAFF WRITER

POMONA ? A Western University dean who alleged financial misconduct by top school executives will be paid more than $500,000 in cash and benefits in return for his resignation and promise not to file additional complaints or lawsuits, the Daily Bulletin has learned.

Craig Lenz, dean of Western's College of Osteopathic Medicine, will be paid his salary through 2005, have his daughter's tuition largely paid for and will receive a good recommendation for future employment from the university, according to a confidential settlement agreement.

In return, Lenz has agreed to resign effective June 30 and to not return to the campus except in the event of any ceremonies involving his daughter, who is scheduled to begin studying at the university in the fall, according to the agreement.

The university announced Lenz's resignation on Thursday.

A university spokesman would not confirm the settlement.

"All matters between the university and Dr. Lenz have been resolved to the mutual satisfaction of both parties," said Mark Wallace, Western's executive director of communications. "Beyond that, the university as a practice does not comment on personnel issues."

Lenz declined to comment on the settlement.

In a statement released by the university Thursday, Lenz said he is resigning for "personal reasons."

University tax records show that Lenz's salary as of 2001 was $189,427 per year. He received an additional $14,250 worth of benefits.

According to the agreement, the university will employ Lenz as a professor at his current salary through 2005. Lenz will not be required to teach, though.

Lenz's resignation comes two weeks after he was put on paid administrative leave and ordered to work from home.

Lenz filed a complaint against Western with the state Attorney General in April, alleging financial improprieties on the part of Western executives.

Western President Philip Pumerantz did not return phone calls seeking comment Thursday. Warren Lawless, chairman of Western's Board of Trustees, declined to comment.

Lenz, who was hired by the university in 1999 as assistant dean of clinical affairs before being promoted to dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2000, alleged to the Attorney General in April that top university executives had been mishandling school money.

"I believe that the university has engaged in fraudulent and deceptive practices in its fundraising," Lenz wrote in his complaint. "I believe that the university has not used funds received from donors in a matter that is consistent with the wishes of the donor. Further, I believe that the university has engaged in other financial practices that violate California law."

Lenz also filed a complaint against Western with the Internal Revenue Service.

Under the settlement, Lenz promises "that he has not filed any complaints or charges or lawsuits against university with any government or court excepting the complaints submitted by employee to the Internal Revenue Service and California Attorney General dated April 17, 2003, and that employee will not do so at any time hereafter with respect to the matters released under this Agreement."

Lenz filed his complaints less than a month after complaints were filed with the Attorney General and the IRS by Sinclair Hugh, Western's former director of human resources, who also alleged illegal financial practices on the part of Western executives.

Hugh was put on administrative leave by the university in April and fired in May.

Hugh is suing the university for unfair termination, contending he was fired for revealing decades of financial impropriety by Pumerantz and other executives.

Documents made public as part of Hugh's litigation against Western show that Pumerantz and at least two other former university executives approved for themselves hundreds of thousands of dollars in salary advances and zero-interest loans between 1981 and 1999.

An Attorney General's Office official has said that loans from a nonprofit corporation to any of its officers or trustees is illegal.

Internal university documents show that Pumerantz and other executives who benefited from the advances agreed to pay them back in increments of as little as $5 per pay period.

Wallace has said Western had a policy under which any employee could borrow money against accrued vacation time.

That policy has been stopped, and all advances and loans have been paid back to the university, according to university officials.

In addition to the university agreeing to pay Lenz's salary and benefits through 2005, the settlement agreement between Lenz and Western shows that the university will also pay a substantial portion of Lenz's daughter's tuition while she attends Western.

The university will pay 50 percent of the tuition her first year at Western, 75 percent of her tuition her second year and all of her tuition her third and fourth years, the agreement shows.

Lenz will also be allowed to keep the university's laptop computer, portable printer and cellular phone.

Will Matthews can be reached by e-mail [email protected] or by phone at (909) 483-9333.

I'm sorry but to me this just looks awful for any medical school to be doing. How will future donors view WU? This is just nasty and sad for a great university such as Western. I wish them much luck in the future.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203~21481~1482289,00.html

State audits Western finances
University has 'nothing to hide,' pledges cooperation

By WILL MATTHEWS
STAFF WRITER

POMONA ? Acting on complaints filed by two university officials, the state Attorney General's office is conducting a financial audit of Western University of Health Sciences, the Daily Bulletin has learned.

The audit is being handled by the charitable trusts division of the Attorney General's office in Los Angeles, Deputy Attorney General Sonia Berndt said Friday.

Berndt would not say when the audit began or how long it might take.

"It depends on how many documents there are to review and what kind of cooperation we get," Berndt said. "There is no way that I could anticipate how long this might last."

Western University officials said Friday they would cooperate with state investigators.

"Western University of Health Sciences looks forward to working with the Attorney General's office to provide it with documents and answers to questions the Attorney General's office may have regarding the university's financial and management practices," Western's general counsel Keith Johnson said through a university spokesman.

"The university has nothing to hide and expects that the information it will provide will satisfactorily resolve all issues and concerns so that the university can focus its full attention on fulfilling its mission and expanding the university."

Allegations stem from the university's past practice of approving interest-free loans to executives.

An Attorney General's official has said that loans from a nonprofit corporation to any of its officers or trustees is illegal.

A complaint was filed in March by Sinclair Hugh, the university's former director of human resources. He alleged decades of financial impropriety by top Western executives, including President Philip Pumerantz.

Hugh was put on administrative leave in April and fired in May.

He has said he was fired for revealing financial impropriety and is suing the university for unfair termination.

Western is suing Hugh for what university officials say is an intentional effort to defame the school.

Internal university documents made public as part of Hugh's litigation with Western show that Pumerantz and two former university executives approved for themselves more than $400,000 in salary advances and zero-interest loans between 1981 and 1999, the year Hugh began working at Western.

Pumerantz approved more than $324,000 in loans and advances for himself, the documents show.

The documents also show that executives agreed to repay the loans and advances for as little as $5 per pay period.

A university spokesman has said that the university had a practice - since stopped - that allowed any school employee to take out loans against accrued vacation time.

In April, Craig Lenz, dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine, filed a complaint against Western that also alleged financial impropriety on the part of Western executives.

Lenz was put on administrative leave earlier this month and resigned from Western on Thursday.

A confidential settlement agreement between Lenz and Western obtained by the Daily Bulletin shows the university has agreed to pay Lenz more than $500,000 in cash and other benefits in exchange for Lenz's resignation and promise not to file additional complaints or lawsuits.

Berndt would not say why the decision was made to audit Western. She said an audit is not always an automatic step taken by investigators after receiving a complaint against a corporation.

"We evaluate each situation to determine how to best approach the issue," she said.

Western University, founded in 1977 by Pumerantz as the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, has since expanded to include five colleges with more than 1,500 students.

The school currently offers degrees in osteopathic medicine, pharmacy, graduate nursing, physical therapy, physician assistant studies and health professions education. A new program in veterinary medicine will be launched in the fall.

Officials at Western have engaged in exploratory discussions about merging with Chapman University in Orange.

Chapman officials Friday said that the state investigation of Western will not deter their exploration of a merger between the two institutions.

"We will continue to pay attention and do our due diligence," said Chapman spokeswoman Ruth Wardwell.

Will Matthews can be reached by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at (909) 483-9333 .

well, hey, look on the bright side. At least we're not the only school with problems. Looks like UMDNJ is having financial issues, and DMU "ousted" (as quoted from a poster) their dean. It was kinda getting lonely around here with COMP getting all the spotlight.

Sorry, don't mean to put down the other schools, I'm just happy COMP's not alone :)

I'm definitely curious about the outcome of the litigation regarding all these allegations. So far the people upstairs haven't said much to defend themselves except mentioning that the Daily Bulletin articles to do not tell the whole story and that they will have their say in court.

Western University Presents Evidence that Former Employee
Conspired with Others to Overthrow University??s Leadership

University Also Refutes Charges of Financial
Impropriety by Sinclair Hugh,
Who Served as Head of Human Resources Department at University
Pomona, CA (June 30, 2003) Two or more former employees of Western University conspired to take over the university administration by widely distributing to third parties their false allegations about financial practices at the University, according to documents filed today in Superior Court in Pomona.
Details of the conspiracy were included as evidence in an opposition to a motion filed today by Western University related to its lawsuit against Sinclair Hugh for libel, slander, defamation and conspiracy, among other things. Hugh??s employment was terminated on May 2, 2003, because he breached his management responsibilities and breached University confidentiality, the court documents say.
As part of the opposition filed today, the University presented evidence that Hugh sought to force the ouster of the University??s current President and replace him with former University Executive Vice President of Business and Finance Christopher Oberg as President. To further that goal, Hugh had improperly described in detail to his subordinates at the University the false details of his letters to the California Attorney General and Internal Revenue Service alleging financial improprieties at the University by University President Philip Pumerantz and others. According to evidence included in the opposition, ??Hugh acted jovial about the situation and said that Pumerantz, Dr. George Charney (??Charney??), University??s Chief Academic Officer, and the other Trustees were ??going down?? and the University??s Treasurer, Kevin Shaw, was right behind them.??
The filing presents evidence that Hugh told a subordinate that ??the state would appoint a trustee to run the University?? and that Oberg ??would be appointed as president.?? Hugh also told subordinates that ??missiles would be falling?? because a copy of his letter had been provided to Chapman University and others, and that ??a copy of his letters had ??landed?? in the hands of a faculty member, which he felt would lead to a vote of no confidence from the faculty and an ouster of Dr. Pumerantz,?? evidence in the filing shows.
The filing details evidence of the conspiracy between Hugh and Oberg. Among other things, the filing includes evidence that Hugh gave copies of his letters to Oberg, who immediately offered the letters to the University??s bond underwriter.
The opposition filed today by Western University responds to a motion filed earlier by Hugh that requested the court dismiss the University??s libel and defamation lawsuit because Hugh??s communications with the Attorney General and IRS constituted ??protected communication.?? The University responded that its lawsuit was based on Hugh??s improper communication of false, non-privileged information to others, not to the AG and IRS, and that such communication was not protected.
??Hugh??s publication of this letter to University??s employees, Chapman and the University of La Verne did nothing to further Hugh??s right to petition the government and/or free speech. In fact, these acts were in actuality done in furtherance of Hugh??s plan to force the ouster of the University??s current management and replace it with Oberg as President,?? the University opposition states.
In the filing, the University also responded to allegations by Hugh regarding financial and management activities. The filing addresses these issues:
?P With respect to the use of University funds for the personal use of administrators, including domestic help and maintenance at the home of University??s president, the filing said, ??In truth, some of these expenses were University related and any non-University expenses were promptly reimbursed to the University.??
?P Regarding employment by the University of members of the president??s and trustee??s families, the filing said, ??In truth, market studies conducted by the University as to these employees?? compensation had determined the compensation to be reasonable and the compensation was board approved.??
?P Regarding the use of University funds to pay for benefits, such as the automobiles and country club memberships, the filing says, ??In truth, a portion of these expenses were University related and any personal use was reported as income to these employees.??
?P Regarding the alleged continuation of the practice of providing salary advances to some employees based on accrued vacation, the filing says, ??In truth, the University??s policy of allowing advances to employees, which the University did not consider to be loans, had already ceased in 2001, a fact of which Hugh was aware.??

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%7E21481%7E1487416,00.html

Western defends firing executive
University claims former officials tred to take over

By WILL MATTHEWS
STAFF WRITER

POMONA ? Complaints made to state and federal agencies by a former Western University executive are false or have already been addressed by an internal university investigation, according to court documents filed Monday.

University officials say they fired former Human Resources Director Sinclair Hugh not because of his complaints to the government but because he released confidential information to other school employees and made false allegations about the university to individuals and organizations outside the school, according to the documents.

The documents, filed in connection with a slander and defamation lawsuit filed by the school against Hugh, also allege that Hugh conspired with a former Western University vice president to unseat and take over the management of the school.

"(Hugh) talked how the president was going to fall and how the university's chief financial officer would be right behind him," university spokesman Lewis M. Phelps said Monday. "He told the people he worked with that missiles would be falling because of the complaints and allegations that he made."

In March, Hugh complained to the IRS and the state attorney general that university President Philip Pumerantz and other executives approved for themselves hundreds of thousands of dollars in salary advances and zero-interest loans, tens of thousands of dollars in improper benefits and hired family members at exorbitant salaries.

In their court filing, university officials say they investigated similar complaints made in 2001 by former Executive Vice President of Finance and Business Christopher Oberg.

As a result of that investigation, the university adopted a conflict of interest policy that prohibits employees from participating in decisions in which they might have a conflict of interest and are now requiring that the contracts of all administrative officers be reviewed by a board of trustees subcommittee prior to approval.

University officials declined to comment Monday on the salary advances and zero-interest loans except to say that the "informal practice" was discontinued in 2001. They have said that all loans were repaid, but refused to provide documentation of any repayment, citing an ongoing investigation by the state.

Western officials allege that Hugh and Oberg conspired to slander the university's reputation and to overthrow its current administration.

Oberg was laid off in January as part of what Western officials say was a reorganization of the university's management structure.

Hugh was fired in May.

The lawyer representing both Hugh and Oberg called the charges "absurd."

"Their allegations are nothing more than a smoke screen to try and hide the real issue," said Irvine-based attorney Russ Thomas. "Sinclair Hugh was aware of financial wrongdoing and asserted his constitutional rights by reporting them to the proper authorities. This is nothing but a fairy tale and nobody, including the courts, is going to believe it."

Hugh is suing the university for unfair termination, claiming he was fired for blowing the whistle on decades of financial mismanagement by Western executives.

Western is suing Hugh, alleging he has intentionally tried to defame the school's reputation.

Internal university documents made public as part of the ongoing litigation show that Pumerantz and two other top university executives approved for themselves more than $400,000 in salary advances and zero-interest loans between 1981 and 1999.

Pumerantz alone benefited from $324,000 in loans and advances, the documents show.

University officials say the loans and advances were made as part of an informal policy in which school officials could borrow money against accrued vacation time.

An attorney general's official has said that loans by a nonprofit corporation to any of its officers and trustees is illegal.

The Attorney General's Office said last week it was investigating the financial practices of Western.

Craig Lenz, another employee who filed a complaint with the state, resigned last week after signing a confidential agreement under which he promised not to file any more complaints or talk about Western in return for more than $500,000 in cash and other benefits.

Western officials said Monday that they could not comment on Lenz or his allegations.

It's sad to see school administration executives playing these institutional politics. I mean, for crying out loud, a school take over? What, is this a coup d'etat? These issues should not be my concern, nor of any other student attending this school. I am going there for one purpose only, to receive an education for my graduate degree. Nothing more, nothing less. The bottom line is, how does this affect the quality of the education that I am going to receive? If the answer is nothing, then I don't wish to hear about it anymore. Besides, if any potential residency is going to discredit you by which school you went to and the "tarnished reputation" caused by asinine office politics that took place at the time, then they probably aren't worth working for in the first place.

Just a thought.

Congrats to the accepted students into COMP 2007.:clap:

Former dean sues Western
Complaint, 2nd of its kind, alleges unfair termination
By WILL MATTHEWS
STAFF WRITER

POMONA - A former Western University of Health Sciences dean sued the university Tuesday for unfair termination, the second such lawsuit to be filed against Western this year.

Craig Lenz, former dean of Western's College of Osteopathic Medicine, says in a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Pomona Superior Court that his June firing was illegal and unconstitutional.

He claims he was dismissed in retaliation for complaining to the state attorney general about improper financial practices by Western President Philip Pumerantz and other executives.

"I felt that I had done a great job there. The president had told me that I was the best dean that he had ever had. But I chose to speak out about things going on there that I thought were wrong and it cost me my job," Lenz said in an interview this week.

A university spokesman said Tuesday that university officials had not yet seen the lawsuit and could not comment.

"If we were going to respond it would be through our court filings," said Western spokesman Mark Wallace. "That is how we are obliged to deal with these types of personnel issues."

Pumerantz declined Tuesday to answer questions related to any ongoing litigation involving the university during a ribbon cutting for the university's new school of veterinary medicine.

Lenz's April complaint to the attorney general alleged improper and illegal fund-raising by school executives and was filed just one month after another similar complaint had been lodged.

In March, Sinclair Hugh, the school's former director of human resources, alleged to the attorney general that Pumerantz and other top university executives had given themselves hundreds of thousands of dollars in salary advances and zero-interest loans, a violation of state and federal laws.

Hugh was put on administrative leave in April and fired in May. He is also suing the university for unfair termination.

Based on the complaints filed by Lenz and Hugh, the Attorney General's Office has launched an audit of Western's finances.

Deputy Attorney General Sonia Berndt of the charitable trusts division has requested from Western internal financial records. The university has until Friday to respond to the request.

University officials announced June 26 that Lenz, who began working at Western in 1999 as the school's assistant dean of clinical affairs, had resigned.

In a statement released by the university at the time, Lenz is quoted as saying he had resigned his position for "personal reasons."

According to the terms of a confidential settlement agreement obtained by Daily Bulletin in June, Lenz was to be paid more than $500,000 in cash and benefits in return for his resignation and promise not to file any additional complaints or lawsuits.

Lenz was to remain on the university's payroll through 2005 and was to be be paid on every regularly scheduled university payday, according to the settlement.

In his lawsuit, Lenz contends that because he has not been paid since leaving the university in June, the settlement agreement is null and void.

"I've adhered to the settlement agreement, but I have received none of the benefits," Lenz said. "Filing this lawsuit is not something that I wanted to do, but the university has made choices that I feel have left me with no other option than to take action."

University officials have refused to acknowledge that a settlement agreement even exists.

Lenz said this week that university officials told him that because details of the agreement were made public in newspaper articles, they were refusing to adhere to its stipulations.

"We do not acknowledge that the agreement exists. It is hypothetical as far as we are concerned," Wallace said. "Hypothetically, if an agreement exists and someone violates that agreement, then things flow from there."

Lenz, who until this week had refused to comment on the settlement agreement, said he was not responsible for details of the agreement being made public.

He said he was forced into signing the agreement by Pumerantz, who informed him in June he was to be fired whether he agreed to the settlement or not.

"If someone tells me I'm gone, no matter what, then what are you supposed to do?" Lenz said. "I have house payments to make and a family to provide for."

Internal university documents made public as part of Hugh's litigation with Western show that Pumerantz and two former university executives approved for themselves more than $400,000 in salary advances and zero-interest loans between 1981 and 1999.

Pumerantz approved more than $324,000 in loans and advances for himself, the documents show.

The documents also show executives agreed to repay the loans and advances for as little as $5 per pay period.

Will Matthews can be reached by e-mail [email protected] or by phone at (909) 483-9333.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%7E21481%7E1567084,00.html?search=filter

this is a bit off the beaten path but why do people feel they need to post a link to a story AND THEN the entire story itself???
isn't one good enough or is it to drive the point like it says in the da vinci code (pg38) Repeating a symbol (or story, or link) is the simplest way to strengthen its meaning??

Originally posted by kpax18
havin fun in Nebraska ? :laugh:

Hmm....Is that directed at me or the article? :confused:

Judge finds no libel against Western
Most other allegations will go to trial
By WILL MATTHEWS, STAFF WRITER

POMONA - A former Western University of Health Sciences manager did not libel the school by alleging to authorities that top executives had engaged in decades of financial illegalities, a Pomona Superior Court judge ruled Wednesday.

Judge Peter Meeka Wednesday allowed the majority of a Western lawsuit that charges Sinclair Hugh, the school's former director of human resources, with trade libel, slander, intentional interference with prospective economic advantage and conspiracy to move forward toward trial.

But he said Hugh was within his rights by lodging complaints with both the state Attorney General's Office and the Internal Revenue Service accusing Western President Philip Pumerantz and other top university officials of financial impropriety.

"(The complaints) are protected and they were intended to solicit an official action," Meeka said. "Anything to the Attorney General and the IRS is protected. I think that is clear as a bell. At least it is to me."

Western sued Hugh in May, shortly after university officials fired him for what they say was his violation of university policy and ignoring sound management practices.

His firing also came just weeks after he had filed complaints with the IRS and the state Attorney General's Office alleging mishandling of university money by school executives.

Hugh believes he was fired in retaliation for filing the complaints and has sued Western for unfair termination.

But Western officials say that Hugh breached university policy by not first taking his complaints to his superiors or to the school's Board of Trustees, warranting both his firing and the lawsuit against him.

In their suit, Western officials say Hugh engaged in an intentional campaign to defraud the university and defame its reputation.

They accuse Hugh of making what they say were false accusations about the financial practices of Pumerantz and others to other university employees, including his subordinates.

They also accuse him of attempting to damage ongoing negotiations between Western and Chapman University in Orange about a possible merger of the two institutions by sending to Chapman officials copies of his complaints.

Hugh is also accused of conspiring with the school's former chief executive officer to slander the reputations of Pumerantz and other school officials in an effort to topple Western's administration and take power for themselves.

Western's legal team was pleased Wednesday with Meeka's decision to allow the majority of their lawsuit to move forward.

"We are really happy with the results," said Bob Wenzel, one of several lawyers representing Western. "We are confident that our allegations will be proven at trial."

Hugh's attorney, Irvine-based Russ Thomas, said he, too, was satisfied with Meeka's ruling, saying the Pomona jurist had upheld the most important of his arguments.

"You always want to win everything, and we would have liked to have had this entire lawsuit thrown out," Thomas said. "But, most significantly, the judge upheld Hugh's right to make a complaint about things he feels to be wrong or unjust."

In his complaints, Hugh accused Pumerantz, Western's president since the university was founded 25 years ago, and other top executives of approving for themselves hundreds of thousands of dollars in salary advances and no-interest loans.

Internal university documents made public as part of Hugh's litigation with the university show that Pumerantz and at least two former executives gave themselves more than $400,000 in loans and advances between 1981 and 1999.

Pumerantz alone approved for himself more than $320,000 in loans and advances.

An official in the Attorney General's Office has said loans by a nonprofit corporation to any of its executives or officers is illegal.

The Attorney General's Office has launched an audit of Western's finances.

Pumerantz has repeatedly declined to answer questions about the state inquiry and could not be reached Wednesday for comment.

University spokeswoman Jill Dolan said Wednesday that "there is nothing to defend and we are fully cooperating with the Attorney General's Office."

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%7E21481%7E1595862,00.html

Former VP sues Western University
Suit claims Pomona university fired executive for questioning spending

By WILL MATTHEWS
STAFF WRITER

POMONA ? A former Western University vice president has sued the school for unfair termination, alleging he was fired for attempting to bring to light a number of improper and illegal financial practices undertaken by top Western executives.

Christopher Oberg, who served as the school's executive vice president of finance and business during the final three years of his five-year Western tenure, claims in a lawsuit filed last week in Pomona Superior Court that his attempts to halt financial practices he considered to be unethical resulted in his being fired.

"It is clear what Western's motivation for getting rid of him was," said Oberg's Irvine-based attorney Russ Thomas. "They wanted him out because he was asking questions that nobody wanted to be asked."

University officials had not yet seen the lawsuit Monday and could not comment on its specifics.

But university officials have said that Oberg's position was eliminated in January as a result of a restructuring of the school's administration.

They also have said they believe Oberg's complaints to have been part of a conspiracy aimed at toppling the school's administration.

Oberg and Sinclair Hugh, Western's former director of human resources who filed complaints with both the state Attorney General and the Internal Revenue Service in March, have been sued by Western for slander and defamation.

"If in fact this lawsuit has been filed, it comes after we filed our lawsuit against Mr. Oberg," said Western spokesman Mark Wallace. "We feel that our position will be validated by the court."

In his lawsuit, Oberg claims that he began raising concerns about a number of university practices as early as 1999, when he was assigned to oversee the university's human relations department.

He recommended a number of specific policy changes to Western President Philip Pumerantz, some of which were accepted but others of which were ignored, according to the lawsuit.

In March 2001, Oberg says, he felt unable to continue as the university's fiduciary "because the President continued to act on his own, often to the detriment of the university and to the benefit of his own immediate family," according to the lawsuit.

During the ensuing two years, Oberg says he continued to perform his job - including leading the school through several accreditation reviews - while at the same time highlighting financial practices he says continued to be carried out by Pumerantz and other executives and which he believed to be improper.

In January, Oberg was informed his position was being eliminated and, according to the lawsuit, he was asked to prepare an announcement to the university's staff that he was leaving to pursue another position.

He refused, Oberg says in his lawsuit.

"It is very clear what was going on there," Thomas said Monday. "You can sum it up in one sentence: Speak out and you get fired. That is about it. It is really pretty clear."

Weeks after filing his complaints with the Attorney General and the IRS alleging financial illegalities on the part of Pumerantz and other university executives, Hugh was fired for what university officials have said was a violation of his management responsibility.

Hugh is also suing Western for unfair termination.

Internal university documents made public as part of Hugh's litigation with the school show that Pumerantz and two former university executives approved for themselves more than $400,000 in salary advances and zero-interest loans between 1981 and 1999.

The documents show that executives agreed to repay the loans and advances for as little as $5 per pay period.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%7E21481%7E1665385,00.html

this is old news :rolleyes:

Some of this certainly is old news but it is a symptom of an underlying problem at western univ which has lead to the gathering of plaintiffs for a class action lawsuit, I and several other current and former students are putting together a suit and are looking for any others to join. Let me know if your interested. For those of us who left we are simply seeking our tuition with interest back. Any school that hires an individual like Dennis Kiick, who was fired from his previous teaching position and allows the discrimination that DK practiced on a routine basis has some serious problems. Isn't interesting that within days of Lenz resigning the faculty fired Kiick from his position as chair of the academic committee. Hhhhmmmm I wonder why they did that.

Originally posted by anonymous student
Some of this certainly is old news but it is a symptom of an underlying problem at western univ which has lead to the gathering of plaintiffs for a class action lawsuit, I and several other current and former students are putting together a suit and are looking for any others to join. Let me know if your interested.
Yea I guess you don't care about Western since you already left right. Sure use them and then sue them for everything they got. Forget about those other students who still wish to get an education at COMP and how they may suffer as a result of your actions.:rolleyes:

class action = anonymous student = BME103

it is useless to post on internet forum and asking for help to sue a school. watchout, maybe some students actually joins up and turns out to be a traitor :laugh:

kpax18 = stupid jackass

I don't even know who BME13 is and maybe if you weren't so intellectually limited you could research both of our profiles and discover that yourself. I am always amazed at how many mental midgets there are who post on SDN to point of nausea.

Here are the facts, there were originally two students who talked about a suit, others became aware and interested and it has grown into a class action. Its just that simple. Pointless flaming of myself and others who support this has no effect except to strengthen our resolve.

As far as students who are still at school, nothing but positive things can come from this, such as better accountability better representation of the school.

Originally posted by anonymous student
As far as students who are still at school, nothing but positive things can come from this, such as better accountability better representation of the school.

yeah, keep up the good work, you're doing reallll good
:laugh:

Top Salaries and Benefits Packages of Employees and Officers of Osteopathic Medical Schools

**obtained from the IRS 990 Form (public record) for Fiscal Years 2000/01

Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine

James McGovern, Ph.D. President $260,235
Michael Lockwood, DO Chair OMM $224,851
Richard Cenedella, PhD. Chair Biochemistry $211,786
Michael Kuchera, DO VP $207,405
Dixie Tooke Rawlings Acting VP/Dean $191,145
Billy Straight, DO Assoc Prof OMM $177,095
Donald Knoll, DO Assoc Prof Gerontology$172,543
Craig Phelps, DO Provost $169,478
Jan Willcox, DO Assoc Region Dean $164,436
Kent Mulford, DO Dean/Health Mgmt $139,226
John Heard, Ph.D VP Research $104,034
Ron Gaber, EdS VP/Dean $97,157
Bill Castles Assoc VP of PR $94,505
Janelle O?Dell VP Advancement $93,698
Monica L. Harrison Treasurer $86,615
Tracey Lantz Secretary $59,399

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Pennsylvania)

Silvia Ferreti, DO VP Dean $319,452
John Ferreti, DO President $243,073
Craig S. Glines, DO OB/GYN Physician $237,392
Craig Scwartz, DO Thoracic Surgeon $233,397
Brian Nemunatis, DOOB/GYN Physician $224,549
Ronald Esper, DO AOA Representative $204,889
Mary Eckert Millcreek Hospital $204,837
Dennis Agostini, DO Assoc Dean $199,472
Richard Olinger CFO $170,825

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Data unavailable.

Midwestern University/Arizona and Chicago Colleges of Osteo Med)

Kathleen H. Geoppinger, PhD President/CEO $494,491
Arthur G. Dobbeleare, PhD. Exec VP/COO $370,020
Gregory J. Gaus CFO/Treasurer $281,207
John Fernandes, DO Dean CCOM $280,667
James W. Cole, DO Dean AZCOM $239,101
David J. Slatkin Dean Pharmacy $218,923
George T. Caleel, DO VP Clinical Ed $161,980
John R. Burdick Dean Basic Sci. $155,816
Dean P. Malone VP Business Aff. $153,003

New York College of Osteopathic Medicine/NYIT

Matthew Schure President $298,424
Stanley Schiowitz NYCOM Dean $286,054
Edward Guiliano Provost $199,053
Maryse Prezeau VP Student Affairs $193,315
Arnold Nagler NYCOM $190,535
Eileeen DiGiovanna NYCOM $174,403
Sheryl Moody Secretary $164,494
Craig Becker Treasurer $72,085
Joseph Cook,III Treasurer $58,365

Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine

Ray Ferrero, JR President $337,151
Randolph Pohlman Dean $316,945
Morton Terry Chancellor/Trustee $293,228
Joseph Harbaugh Dean/Professor $281,145
Anthony Silvagni Dean $216,791
Ronald Levant Dean $205,798
Frederick Lippman Vice Chanc/Provost $202,304

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

Leonard H. Finkelstein, DO President/CEO $385,016
Samuel Steinberg Exec VP $368,731
Kenneth Veit, DO Dean $281,964
Robert Fogel, DO Dept. Chair $227,991
Richard Pascucci, DO Assoc Dean $224,090
Eugene Mochan, Ph.D., DO Assoc Dean $223,371
Harry Morris, DO Dept. Chair $216,605
Pat Lanutti, DO Physician $213,697
Peter Doulis, CPA VP Finance/CFO $201,671

Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (Kentucky)

William Betz Chair Family Med $162,228
John Strosnider Dean of Medicine $152,500
Michael Murphy Prof Family Med $150,000
Edward Stiles Chair OPP $138,000
Robyn Weyand Assoc Dean $110,000

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Data unavailable.

Tuoro College of Osteopathic Medicine

Bernard Zeliger Secretary $244,601
Yoram Neumann Provost $204,229
Dr. Bernard Lander President $200,017
Jay Sexter VP $150,324
Martin Diamond Assoc Dean $150,093
Melvin Ness CFO $148,116
Peter Perhac Dean $144,258
Robert Koester Dean $132,360

University of New England College Osteopathic Medicine (Maine)

John Thompson Physician $288,113
Sandra Featherman, Ph.D. President $210,089
Boyd Buser Physician $171,720
George Pasquarello Physician $161,842
Richard Stockwell Physician $160,771
Bruce Bates Chair Family Med $155,681
Theodore DiPadova VP Academic Affairs $106,720
Bernard Chretien VP Business $91,387

University of Osteopathic Medicine (Des Moines)

Richard M. Ryan, JR President $305,898
George B. Clavenna, DO Faculty $273,497
Gary L. Hoff, DO Associate Dean $204,900
Mehrunnisa Sultan, MD Faculty $187,181
Michael Reagen VP $182,500
Kendall Reed, DO Faculty $179,710
James L. Fleming Faculty $159,167
Stephen Dengle VP $151,600
Mary Ann Zug VP $98,627
William Applegate VP $82,550
Craig Canby VP $84,708

University of Health Sciences College Osteopathic Medicine (Kansas)

Karen Pletz, JD President/CEO $390,656
Robert E. Arnold Professor $262,975
James M. Carl VP Academics/Dean $236,073
Kenneth J. Steier Professor $214,493
Richard K. Hoffine VP Finance $208,144
Doug Dalzell VP Inst. Develop $201,619
Elaine M. Wallace Vice Dean $200,994
Vergil Guillory Professor $196,476
Joseph Yasso Jr. Professor $191,429

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine

Data unavailable.

Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona)

Philip Pumerantz President (ex oficio) $417,495
Stuart Weiner Assist to President $392,161
Donald Krpan Provost $272,063
Carl Trinca CPO $268,559
Bob McGwire Construction Coord. $246,518
Mitchell Kasovac Dean Osteopathic $234,123
Marlene Miller Plant Facilities Coord. $226,577
George Charney CAO $199,066
Alan Cundari Physician $188,371
Christopher Oberg CFO $159,913

What do you mean by "self denial"...just curious.

By the way, I am going to be dropping anesthesiology and look into medical school administration (J/K)... 8 to 5 with no weekends/holidays and make that kind of cash. Not saying they don't earn their money because they do, they just don't have the same kind of stress levels.

OMG!!! i can't believe they make that kind of money. i always thought that people that go into academic medicine make less, not more.

Don't look like they are denying themselves much of anything. The hell with medicine. Anyone want to open a new school with me?

**bump* any updates?

Guess not. It's summertime now.. have any work to do?

melancholy said:
Guess not. It's summertime now.. have any work to do?

Yes, I am currently working.

BME103 said:
**bump* any updates?

Yes, the school is in shambles. Just the other day Dr. Pumerantz hit me up to borrow money for lunch.