What am I doing wrong? not able to complete a BR chapter in one day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluepolka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I thought of doing the SN2d study plan. However, I am just not able to finish a BR chapter in a day! I take at least 2 days. I study about 5 hours a day (straight). It has been a while since I left school, it could be because of that. Or maybe I am just studying it the wrong way? reading way too much into it? trying to re-read too much? How does everyone else following this plan fare? Do you just read through quickly and start the practice question? or go through each and every concept and commit it to memory?
Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I thought of doing the SN2d study plan. However, I am just not able to finish a BR chapter in a day! I take at least 2 days. I study about 5 hours a day (straight). It has been a while since I left school, it could be because of that. Or maybe I am just studying it the wrong way? reading way too much into it? trying to re-read too much? How does everyone else following this plan fare? Do you just read through quickly and start the practice question? or go through each and every concept and commit it to memory?
Any advice?

Keep going. You'll get faster. Used to take me 2-3 days to finish a chapter. After a few weeks I was able to finish them in a day and after a month or so, I could finish 2 chapters in a day if I wanted to.

You might consider reducing the amount of TBR. Every 4th passage instead of every 3rd. IMO, it's important not to fall behind in MCAT prep because you run the risk of forgetting what you've learned. So, decide if you are going to speed up over time, and if you want to wait for that or reduce the number of passages.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, side question, the content for MCAT exam has not changed since 2007 right? because I mostly have the 2007 editions of EK books and BR books :(

Members don't see this ad :)
It takes time. At first you want to just memorize everything and then you realize what's super important and what is just good facts to know.

The test has not really changed. The only difference is that after 2005 the tests can contain a max of 2 OChem passages whereas the AAMC practice may have 2 or more.

It takes time. At first you want to just memorize everything and then you realize what's super important and what is just good facts to know.

The test has not really changed. The only difference is that after 2005 the tests can contain a max of 2 OChem passages whereas the AAMC practice may have 2 or more.
You are so right @Sammy1024 That is exactly my problem, I'm trying to STUDY like I have to reproduce all the text in some exam. I need to change that. I just don't know how. I have completed 9 chapters in total in 3 weeks!phew! I have 82 days left, do you think I still have a chance? or should I postpone my test date?

You've got plenty of time! If you're trying to skip some stuff, I would suggest taking a practice test to see where your weakness lies. Maybe you're an expert at Acids and Bases and then you don't need to spend all that time reading it. Also, I would suggest making goals. I used to be like okay at page 20, I get to watch an episode of tv, and it made it more bearable. BUT after all that reading when you start doing practice, you'll forget stuff and it'll be okay because it won't be all that necessary. TBR goes into way too much detail but it's nice when you know about 0% of a topic.

You've got plenty of time! If you're trying to skip some stuff, I would suggest taking a practice test to see where your weakness lies. Maybe you're an expert at Acids and Bases and then you don't need to spend all that time reading it. Also, I would suggest making goals. I used to be like okay at page 20, I get to watch an episode of tv, and it made it more bearable. BUT after all that reading when you start doing practice, you'll forget stuff and it'll be okay because it won't be all that necessary. TBR goes into way too much detail but it's nice when you know about 0% of a topic.
It is true. BR is deep. But I havent been to school in 5 years! So. All my knowledge, though it exists in my brain somewhere, it needs to be rudely awoken from its hibernation! Haha, I give myself food breaks lol! Thanks for the advice, I guess I will just continue with vigor and confidence and see where I land up in 82 days! phew

Practice is the real key. I didn't read all the topics in TBR and opted for shorter chapters like in Kaplan/EK and ended up with 10's on the sciences. I'm a horrible test taker so for me, getting those 10's shows that you can do it without having to know everything ever.

Reactions: 1 user
Practice is the real key. I didn't read all the topics in TBR and opted for shorter chapters like in Kaplan/EK and ended up with 10's on the sciences. I'm a horrible test taker so for me, getting those 10's shows that you can do it without having to know everything ever.
so essentially if I read and just get key concepts right in my head I am ok? while doing content review

It's normal to take 1-2 days for reading TBR chapters. One thing that might help quicken your reading and getting most out of the chapters is to look at the chapter outline in table of contents and before you read, recall as much as you can about the topics. Then look at the bunch of equations they provide on the first page of each chapter and try to recall as much as possible. Then quickly read the portions that you feel comfortable with (e.g. if you are very comfortable with Doppler effect, read that part first in the sound chapter). Before you know it, you'll be 2/3 done and can take your time on the hard topics. Of course this is harder if you don't recall much at all.

Yup. A lot of folks overthink the MCAT or focus too much on memorizing details and not enough on test-taking skills.

yeah thats fine. use tbr for physics/genchem/and orgo. Its the tips/tricks in tbr that makes it gold, and passages!! EK for bio. And some chapters in TBR take me longer than a day…no biggie. Some of the chapter are dense AF so don't worry--you'll be more prepared come test day!! If you do all tbr for physics/gen chem and average >70% on passages (do them all) you are basically guaranteed 10+ in PS from what I have seen.

I'm a bit confused - Are you doing all the end of chapter passages as well as reading it all in a day?

yeah thats fine. use tbr for physics/genchem/and orgo. Its the tips/tricks in tbr that makes it gold, and passages!! EK for bio. And some chapters in TBR take me longer than a day…no biggie. Some of the chapter are dense AF so don't worry--you'll be more prepared come test day!! If you do all tbr for physics/gen chem and average >70% on passages (do them all) you are basically guaranteed 10+ in PS from what I have seen.
Thanks for the tip! I am doing ochem, phy and gchem from BR. However, I am not sure what editions they are. but like you said that doesnt matter! Hoping for the best! :)