what are good tests that help narrow what speciality to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titanlord1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are good tests that help narrow what speciality to take?

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1.

But seriously, it will largely be determined by what interests you and what your scores are.

I'm sure there are aptitude tests out there.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
USMLE Step 1

This. At the very least it'll narrow you down a hell of a lot. It's pretty much the destroyer of dreams and overly-ambitious med school students. I'd highly recommend not even deciding your speciality until you get your step 1 score (unless it can make you pull of a higher step 1).

Reactions: 1 user
This. At the very least it'll narrow you down a hell of a lot. It's pretty much the destroyer of dreams and overly-ambitious med school students. I'd highly recommend not even deciding your speciality until you get your step 1 score (unless it can make you pull of a higher step 1).
I think it's good to have a couple in mind, one in case you do really well and one that doesn't require as high of a score. Work hard from day 1 to get in the more competitive specialty and the research, etc will be helpful regardless of the score.

sorry guys i ment personality tests that shows which is best for you. i know these arent the best indicator but i just want a general idea.

Here's a nice cartoon I found on the web (for those who really value their
free time).
pmr.jpg

AAMC's careers in medicine page has a lot of good resources, but the full site isn't available to new med students until you start classes I believe.

that will be a problem : /

There's a lot of great content about each specialty that you can view now, however.

Are you really pre-pharm? If so, probably better to ask this question in the pharm forum.

that will be a problem : /
Why? You have lots of time to decide....browse the residency boards on this site to get a feel for a lot of the day-to-day workings of the various specialties, as well as the most common complaints about the specialties by the residents and attendings working in them. I think this will be much more valuable for you right now than a personality test, which very roughly estimates your "fit" for a specialty with questions that may or may not realistically assess you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the tests out there (even the SDN one) are a crap shoot and not good predictors. My top 5 specialties on any one I've taken have always been very different between these tests.

Though some may argue that ACT and SAT scores have a closer correlation with what specialty is most appropriate.
Well the reason we're saying Step 1 is because it will open or close doors for you. You might love ortho, but a 210 isn't going to help. I had a classmate who was planning on going peds until he got a really good Step score, now he's in radiology.

Well the reason we're saying Step 1 is because it will open or close doors for you. You might love ortho, but a 210 isn't going to help. I had a classmate who was planning on going peds until he got a really good Step score, now he's in radiology.
Hence my fitting avatar (which I got from the GomerBlog). Step 1 score spurs the biggest sudden change in heart in students.

I realize that. That's what I was getting at when I first posted the step 1 comment at the beginning of the thread. I was taking a shot at some of the few premeds here who strongly believed that their ACT and/or SAT success would strongly correlate with their med school/step 1 success. One of whom, although a troll, dermviser got into a flame war with a couple weeks ago.

I realize that. That's what I was getting at when I first posted the step 1 comment at the beginning of the thread. I was taking a shot at some of the few premeds here who strongly believed that their ACT and/or SAT success would strongly correlate with their med school/step 1 success. One of whom, although a troll, dermviser got into a flame war with a couple weeks ago.
gotcha

fkn premeds

gotcha

fkn premeds

Exactly. 21 ACT (I honestly slept through almost half of it), 32 MCAT, and god knows I could very well end-up with a 140 step 1, fail it two more times and be dismissed from med school. Also, sorry if I came off really snarky in that last post.