What are Med Schools looking for in LORS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kanye West

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My entrepreneurship professor just told me he could write me a STRONG letter of recommendation (for non-science letter, I am a minor)

Anyways he asked me what schools are looking for in the letter, and I am not sure what to say. Do they just want to see that I am a normal dude who can work well with people?

Members don't see this ad.

I think for him,

they want to know his impressions of you as an individual, your work ethic, and your character.

character references are usually no good, they are usually too biased.

since he a prof, he should comment on your performance, work ethic in the class compared to other students. stuff like that. impressions/potential he sees of of you would work too.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about drive and communication ability? I networked with a bunch of doctors as part of the course and presented a lot on what i learned/future aspirations etc

Personal attributes that make you well-suited to a career in medicine, supported with specific anecdotes.

An assessment of your academic accomplishments and drive relative to your peers ("one of the best this year" or "the best student I have worked with in my 23 year career")

It also helps if there is brief mention of how the prof knows you and specifics of the work you did in his course(s).