What are my best options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.TurkandJD

One Dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am currently starting my application process and this is my candidacy in a nutshell:

Cum Laude in Neurobiology from DePaul University
3.6 GPA/3.4 Science
I did not take the MCAT yet, but practice have been 22-26.
-2 publications, 2 in preparation.
-2 different research labs, 2 years in environmental phycology and 3 years in neurobiology studying neuroplasticity.
-Numerous conferences all over the nation.
-Been down to central america twice, setting up mobile health care clinics in rural areas. Became president of Global medical brigades.
-Volunteering at a children's hospital and adult hospital throughout my undergrad and post-graduation.
-Teacher Assistant for 3 years.
-Co-founder of a non profit that works on providing health care and public health in Nicaragua.

What are my best choice? I would really like to do the DO route and stay in Chicago, so Midwestern is my top choice, my second choice would be Rosalind Franklin. I am considering SGU but would rather stay in the U.S. Is there any other schools I should look into? I would really like to get into a residency in Chicago.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Start practicing harder for the MCAT. If you can get to a 30+ you would have a very very good chance at CCOM and a decent chance of at least staying in Chicago. There are no guarantees in this process and setting yourself up with a subpar MCAT is only going to make it harder. Do everything to get your study averages around 30.

Start practicing harder for the MCAT. If you can get to a 30+ you would have a very very good chance at CCOM and a decent chance of at least staying in Chicago. There are no guarantees in this process and setting yourself up with a subpar MCAT is only going to make it harder. Do everything to get your study averages around 30.

CCOM would be ideal. I have been studying for MCAT's for 6 months now and it just seems that no matter what I do, I am awful in them. I am taking it in April and will just continue studying and take them again in June/July. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you using to study, how much are you studying, what are your subscores?

I started out at a terrible 20, now im scoring high 20s to low 30s. And trust me if I can improve that much, anyone can. Im not special.

Thinking about Loyola or UIC? If you can get that MCAT to a 31+ you may be competitive due to your excellent EC's. I think you would have a great chance with Loyola personally.

I think you would be well served taking an MCAT class if you can afford it. I thought the princeton review was very very helpful. My first score was a 23 and I ended up with a 37.

I think you would be well served taking an MCAT class if you can afford it. I thought the princeton review was very very helpful. My first score was a 23 and I ended up with a 37.

I absolutely despised TPR course. I took it when I had a full course load and was unable to achieve the full potential of it. I have TPR and EK books. Basically, I just go through the books and take notes and try to memorize all the info and understand. However, I feel like there is just so much that I am struggling with it. What do you recommend would be the best way to study? I heard that just doing practice tests and passages is the best way to go. I just find it odd that you can learn from the practice passages if you dont have a good grip of the material.

What do you guys think?

I would absolutely LOVE a 30, I would not be worried if I could do that. I am just an awful test taker. In undergrad, I was always successful with blue books and always did poorly or multiple choice.

Thinking about Loyola or UIC? If you can get that MCAT to a 31+ you may be competitive due to your excellent EC's. I think you would have a great chance with Loyola personally.

I was more shooting for CCOM, I would be happy with RF.