what are my chances? 3.75 cum/3.75 science 510 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Averagemanboy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love some input before I think about applying next cycle.

I am a pacific islander/ white guy going to UCSD. I have always been a California resident.

3.75 science and cumulative GPA. 510 MCAT

100 hrs volunteering/shadowing in the Emergency Room, watching doctors and helping out with patients.

150 hrs volunteering in Radiology, analyzing MRI's (although mostly not with a doctor).

A quarter in a freshman biology club.

1 year of tutoring Organic Chemistry.

6 months of Cognitive science research, head of the undergraduates in the lab, lead meetings, etc.

1 good letter of rec, the rest are not that great.

So do I have a shot of getting in somewhere? Is it possible to go somewhere in California? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This looks like a pretty good app. Do you have any non-academic hobbies/interests/passions that you didn't list here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would MCAT retake be in the realm of discussion in OP's situation? OP could do a lot more with the fine 3.75GPA if the MCAT were a bit higher, considering that OP wants to stay in CA from the sound of it and CA is one of most competitive states.
I'm not asking because I recommend it, but rather, because multiples would lower OP's competitiveness. My advice would therefore differ if he has previous takes.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not asking because I recommend it, but rather, because multiples would lower OP's competitiveness. My advice would therefore differ if he has previous takes.

That is my only MCAT. I don't have any gap years either if that helps.

This looks like a pretty good app. Do you have any non-academic hobbies/interests/passions that you didn't list here?

I surf, play a lot of basketball, I hike a lot, I'm really into fitness and eating healthy, I've waited tables for the last 3 years which I love to do. I like video games but probably don't want to talk about that lol

Buy the AMSAR and build a good list of OOS private schools in addition to UC schools.

I suggest the following:

Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Any new MD school, except Hofstra and Central MI, FIU, FAU and UCF. I can't recommend CNU.
Any DO program, starting wit Western and Touro-CA
UCI, UCD, UCR (IF you're from the Inland Empire)

I surf, play a lot of basketball, I hike a lot, I'm really into fitness and eating healthy, I've waited tables for the last 3 years which I love to do. I like video games but probably don't want to talk about that lol

If you've done any of this formally, put it on your app. Def put waiting tables on your app - many premeds have not done a days work in their life.

Just wanted to get some input on whether you guys think I should apply this coming cycle or take a gap year.
I want to know specifically:

a)Which would position me better for a UC Acceptance (or UC interviews)
b)Which would have a higher chance of acceptance (getting interviews) at at least 1 school in the nation.

The answer is probably the same for both but I'm not sure.

I am a pacific islander/ white guy going to UCSD. I have always been a California resident.

If I applied this year:

3.75 science and cumulative GPA. 510 MCAT

100 hrs volunteering/shadowing in the Emergency Room, watching doctors and helping out with patients.

150 hrs volunteering in Radiology, analyzing MRI's (although mostly not with a doctor).

A quarter in a freshman biology club.

1 year of tutoring Organic Chemistry off the books (privately).

6 months of Cognitive science research, head of the undergraduates in the lab, lead meetings, etc.

1 good letter of rec, the rest are not that great.

2 years of working as a waiter.

If I applied next year:

My GPA would likely be in the 3.8-3.9 range.

I would have significantly more volunteering ours in Radiology.

3 years of working as a waiter (lol).

I would try to be a scribe or EMT, or maybe doing some new volunteering in the gap year combined with me waiting tables.

all else would be the same.