Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeytaxi

Reaction score
Hello I apologize for the long post! I am 21F, first generation, and I’m planning on applying for the first time this cycle. My in state school is Michigan State. I was planning on applying to MSU and a couple other schools. I know I definitely need to work on some things for my application but my advisor recommended me to apply this cycle. I’m having a hard time trying to decide what out of state schools to apply to. I don’t think my GPA is competitive enough for OOS and GPA focused schools, but I also don’t think my experience is enough for holistic schools. I don’t want to waste my money applying on schools that I have no chance of getting into. I’m also not worried about the location of the schools which it making it even harder for me to pick ones to apply to. I was hoping I could get some suggestions of schools to apply to based on my stats and ways to improve my application!

Cumulative GPA: 3.7-3.8
Science GPA: 3.67
Last 45: 3.8

Degrees: None currently, I’m still in undergrad

GRE: Not planning on taking it

Veterinary experience: at least 1000 hours at a small animal general practice

I’ve been trying to get large animal experience but I live in the city and I haven’t been able to find any opportunities.

Animal Experience: ~150 hours with cows, pigs, sheep, horses, chickens

Research experience: ~50 hours

Awards: Dean’s list every semester

Extracurricular: I’m in a few different clubs and hold a great leadership position in one of them.

I’m not sure if I can add things from high school but if I can I did some sports and volunteering.

Employment: Just the 1000 hours from the veterinary experience

I know I need more diversity in my application and I’m trying but it’s hard to get it where I live.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're selling your GPAs short, honestly. Those GPAs are plenty competitive at a lot of schools. The biggest thing, which you've already said you're trying to work on, is the lack of diversity in your vet experience. Even if you aren't able to get large animal experience, could you get some specialty shadowing? Maybe pocket pets or other companion exotics?

Reactions: 1 users