MD What are my chances at Midwest schools with average statistics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n1ght-b1rd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have good extracurricular activities and great rec letters. I don't want to spend too much money on these schools if it's not really worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a 3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, and a 30 MCAT. I have good extracurricular activities and great rec letters. I don't want to spend too much money on these schools if it's not really worth it.
What schools?

Reactions: 1 user
What schools?
The ones I am looking at are: Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Toledo, USF Morsani, Temple, University of Louisville, University of South Carolina, University of Washington, Loyola, and Wright State

I've been staring at these for the past few days, and I'm kind of lost on what I should cut out of my main list.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones I am looking at are: Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Toledo, USF Morsani, Temple, University of Louisville, University of South Carolina, University of Washington, Loyola, and Wright State

I've been staring at these for the past few days, and I'm kind of lost on what I should cut out of my main list.
Not really Midwest, but I meant applying to schools that have a preference for in-state students.

What's your state of residence?

Reactions: 1 user
These are hardly Midwest schools.

With your stats, you should be looking at:
Loyola
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Your state school(s)
Rosy Franklin
The new schools in MI

That's only ~10-14 schools, depending upon what state you live in. Beggars can't be choosy, and so you're going to need to cast your net outwards. With a 30 MCAT, consider some DO schools, of which there are plenty in the Midwest. Start with CCOM and MUCOM.

These are hardly Midwest schools.

With your stats, you should be looking at:
Loyola
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Your state school(s)
Rosy Franklin
The new schools in MI

That's only ~10-14 schools, depending upon what state you live in. Beggars can't be choosy, and so you're going to need to cast your net outwards. With a 30 MCAT, consider some DO schools, of which there are plenty in the Midwest. Start with CCOM and MUCOM.

Yeah I didn't describe it accurately; I meant schools that accept mainly in-state applicants. I have a main list which is more broad, just wasn't sure on whether to include these schools. Thank you for your advice!

Consider axing toledo and wright state. They're either low OOS %, high OOS tuition or a combination of both. Pretty sure temple is also strict on their two science prof LOR requirement FYI.

MSAR Online is your friend. See the "Acceptance Information" tab for numbers of IS/OOS for each school.

Yeah I didn't describe it accurately; I meant schools that accept mainly in-state applicants. I have a main list which is more broad, just wasn't sure on whether to include these schools. Thank you for your advice!