What are my chances for competative schools? (MD) 34R MCAT, cGPA: 3.98, sGPA 4.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTKpreMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been lurking on these forums for a while, but just recently decided to participate and create an account. So basically I am a senior at a state school and I am wondering what my chances would be at some of the private/better public medical schools when I apply next summer (waited to get more experience). I am worried about having settled for an undergrad state school as my tuition was covered by instate scholarships. Also, a lack of experience since I changed career plans half-way through college. I will be applying this summer after retaking the MCAT in spring and working a bit on the extras.

Year: Senior
Major: Biochemistry
Minor: Business Administration
cGPA: 3.98
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 34R (9 V, 12 BS, 13, PS)

Extras:
-Started as first Student Leader directing a biweekly group tutoring session program for Organic Chemistry at the school (about 15 hours each week for 2 semesters, will be 3) with excellent recommendation letters from professor and director of the program.
-about 240 Hours at local hospital with rotations in OR, ER, and clinicals, with a personal recommendation from a chairman of surgery after participation in the program.
-about 75 hours research in biology department doing computer based protein conformational analysis (will have more after next semester, likely no publication).
-about 150 hours volunteer work with the First Tee program at local golf course.
-possibly ~50 hour doing clinical trials at hospital next semester
-Dean's List Every Year (so what?)
*(More would be better of course, and I feel like not starting this type of things earlier in college will really hurt my chances)

So what would be my chances at say:
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (Out of State)
Vanderbilt University
Duke University
University of Colorado Aurora (Out of State)
Emory University
ect. (Top 25)

I know it feels like whoring yourself out to put up every detail, but I am genuinely curious and would love to hear your input! What should I improve? If none of the schools, what MCAT would give me a chance when I retake it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Every school is "competative". As for top 25, your MCAT is below their medians and your ECs are rly lacking. Be sure to apply broadly (everyone should apply broadly).

Instead of retaking MCAT beef up your ECs imo

Your stats are fine, even if your MCAT is a bit under some schools' medians. I think the biggest thing that will hold you back at top schools will be your lack of research.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Great gpa and MCAT scores. Duke focuses on research so perhaps you should work as a research technician in your gap year to strengthen your app. Any interesting hobby to make your list of ECs more unique? UNC favors in-state (not exactly sure but i recall that approximately 50% of in-state applicants receive an interview vs. 10% of out of state applicants). What about your state schools?

Great gpa and MCAT scores. Duke focuses on research so perhaps you should work as a research technician in your gap year to strengthen your app. Any interesting hobby to make your list of ECs more unique? UNC favors in-state (not exactly sure but i recall that approximately 50% of in-state applicants receive an interview vs. 10% of out of state applicants). What about your state schools?

The odds are even worse than you state -- about 3% of OOS applicants are invited to interview at UNC, according to MSAR. Very, very difficult. Colorado also has a < 10% interview rate for their OOS applicants, although they aren't as selective as UNC.

OP: I feel like your lack of research will hold you back at Vandy, Emory, and Duke more than your MCAT score will. I'm not saying that you shouldn't apply there or that you won't get in, but if you really have your designs set on those schools, then I would do as bauhinia123 suggests. You should also apply to your state schools, which, assuming you're from TN, include ETSU and UT. Also, when forming your school list, look at schools that are more friendly to out-of-state residents. MSAR can help you with this. If you apply to schools like UNC, you are, quite frankly, throwing your money away.

No need to retake MCAT. With your stats you will be able to attend a great school that will offer many opportunities for you to become a successful medical student and obtain a competitive residency. It's mostly about what you do in medical school, not what medical school you go to!

Thank you all for your input. I am picking up a clinical research position, and I am devoting myself more to my current research project in biochem. Hopefully it's enough. I wish I had chosen my path sooner, but I know that's no excuse to give to an admissions board.

Also, I have decided to apply to many more state schools around the area since I am not as interested in research and would like to have more of a clinical experience background, especially during M3/M4. I hear Vandy and the other big name schools often don't allow for much time with patients in the early stages.

the 34 MCAT score is very good, but it's unbalanced with the 9V. There are schools that screen out those with less than a 10 in any section unless you're a URM.

Try to identify which schools those are and eliminate them.

Are you instate for Tenn? If so, are you applying to any Tenn meds?

Both of your GPAs are very high, so that will likely work with schools that don't screen for "less than 10"

I think you should include some midwest SOMs that aren't as competitive as, say, NU or UChi.

Last edited:
Chances excellent. there will always be schools that will look down their noses at that 9VR, but you'll definitely get interviews. I don't think a retake on MCAT would be necessary unless you're completely shut out in the interview cycle.

Hi guys,

I have been lurking on these forums for a while, but just recently decided to participate and create an account. So basically I am a senior at a state school and I am wondering what my chances would be at some of the private/better public medical schools when I apply next summer (waited to get more experience). I am worried about having settled for an undergrad state school as my tuition was covered by instate scholarships. Also, a lack of experience since I changed career plans half-way through college. I will be applying this summer after retaking the MCAT in spring and working a bit on the extras.

Year: Senior
Major: Biochemistry
Minor: Business Administration
cGPA: 3.98
sGPA: 4.0

Extras:
-Started as first Student Leader directing a biweekly group tutoring session program for Organic Chemistry at the school (about 15 hours each week for 2 semesters, will be 3) with excellent recommendation letters from professor and director of the program.
-about 240 Hours at local hospital with rotations in OR, ER, and clinicals, with a personal recommendation from a chairman of surgery after participation in the program.
-about 75 hours research in biology department doing computer based protein conformational analysis (will have more after next semester, likely no publication).
-about 150 hours volunteer work with the First Tee program at local golf course.
-possibly ~50 hour doing clinical trials at hospital next semester
-Dean's List Every Year (so what?)
*(More would be better of course, and I feel like not starting this type of things earlier in college will really hurt my chances)

So what would be my chances at say:
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (Out of State)
Vanderbilt University
Duke University
University of Colorado Aurora (Out of State)
Emory University
ect. (Top 25)

I know it feels like whoring yourself out to put up every detail, but I am genuinely curious and would love to hear your input! What should I improve? If none of the schools, what MCAT would give me a chance when I retake it?

Thank you all for your input. I am picking up a clinical research position, and I am devoting myself more to my current research project in biochem. Hopefully it's enough. I wish I had chosen my path sooner, but I know that's no excuse to give to an admissions board.

Also, I have decided to apply to many more state schools around the area since I am not as interested in research and would like to have more of a clinical experience background, especially during M3/M4. I hear Vandy and the other big name schools often don't allow for much time with patients in the early stages.

You realize that "top 25" implies research rankings? Most of the schools in that range will place a heavy emphasis on research, though not all require research projects. Applying OOS to state schools is likely a waste of money, but it's your call.

With your MCAT/GPA combo, you're competitive for a lot of places. I wouldn't bother retaking the MCAT because there's a good chance you can go down. Were your verbal practice scores consistently >10 or did it fluctuate? With strong scores in the sciences, I think you'll be ok. Your time would be better spent on ECs.

You realize that "top 25" implies research rankings? Most of the schools in that range will place a heavy emphasis on research, though not all require research projects. Applying OOS to state schools is likely a waste of money, but it's your call.

With your MCAT/GPA combo, you're competitive for a lot of places. I wouldn't bother retaking the MCAT because there's a good chance you can go down. Were your verbal practice scores consistently >10 or did it fluctuate? With strong scores in the sciences, I think you'll be ok. Your time would be better spent on ECs.

Yes, I know, but I am also looking for a great education and the best chance to match in a top notch residency. I go to a mediocre school for undergrad, and I would love it if all I had were extremely knowledgeable professors, even if they are hardasses. I wasn't scoring above 11 on the verbal sections of AAMCs, and I averaged around 9.5, so it was not too surprising honestly. It was definitely the most boring section to practice. Thanks for the input! I am focusing on ECs a lot more this semester and working on developing stronger relationships with the hospital physicians.

Yes, I know, but I am also looking for a great education and the best chance to match in a top notch residency.

You can get a "great" education at pretty much any US MD/DO school for the most part, or at least the vast majority of schools well outside the top X of the rankings or whatever.

Your chance to match into a top notch residency will be much more determined by your accomplishments in medical school rather than where you choose to attend. What sort of residency are you looking for?

There's nothing wrong with aiming high, but it's important to keep things in perspective.

You can get a "great" education at pretty much any US MD/DO school for the most part, or at least the vast majority of schools well outside the top X of the rankings or whatever.

Your chance to match into a top notch residency will be much more determined by your accomplishments in medical school rather than where you choose to attend. What sort of residency are you looking for?

There's nothing wrong with aiming high, but it's important to keep things in perspective.

Well, I hear terrible things about my state school like people routinely failing boards and grades often having to be fudged by the school. I hear that the professors make it very hard to succeed, and besides that, I really just want the most interesting lecturers I can get. I am interested in Orthopedic Surgery which I spent some time shadowing and am well aware is quite competitive.

I appreciate the input though, and I will be grateful for whatever education I can get!

Last edited:
Yes, I know, but I am also looking for a great education and the best chance to match in a top notch residency. I go to a mediocre school for undergrad, and I would love it if all I had were extremely knowledgeable professors, even if they are hardasses

Med school is not like undergrad. All US MD schools will give you a great education. There aren't any mediocre or "just ok" US MD med schools. MD education is flat.

As for your undergrad...if you went to UT-Knoxville, then your pre-med pre-reqs were not mediocre. Don't judge an undergrad's STEM classes by its overall ranking.

Med school is not like undergrad. All US MD schools will give you a great education. There aren't any mediocre or "just ok" US MD med schools. MD education is flat.

As for your undergrad...if you went to UT-Knoxville, then your pre-med pre-reqs were not mediocre. Don't judge an undergrad's STEM classes by its overall ranking.

I am talking about UT Memphis, and I have heard a lot of negative feedback from residents and M3/M4s. I take it with a grain of salt for obvious reasons, but it is discouraging when there are few other local options. Hence, I am looking at OOS and private schools.

I am not saying my education has been poor, but there are definitely a number of professors who have "burnt out" or lost the spark that makes a tough subject more exciting and interactive. I would assume better lecturers migrate to more prestigious medical schools as they do to undergraduate institutions.

i've been in this business for 35 years and for all intents and purposes it does not matter which US allopathic ( or even D.O.) school you go to. Calm down.

I would assume better lecturers migrate to more prestigious medical schools as they do to undergraduate institutions.

No, and no.

"Better lecturers" do not end up at the best med schools nor do they end up at the best undergrads. Those selected for those institutions are selected based on their research and publications. Their ability to communicate info to students is way down the list. lol Heck, their ability to speak decent English isn't even hardly considered.

i've been in this business for 35 years and for all intents and purposes it does not matter which US allopathic ( or even D.O.) school you go to. Calm down.

Exactly.

No, and no.

"Better lecturers" do not end up at the best med schools nor do they end up at the best undergrads. Those selected for those institutions are selected based on their research and publications. Their ability to communicate info to students is way down the list. lol Heck, their ability to speak decent English isn't even hardly considered.

Exactly.

I appreciate your input, and you're probably right. Maybe it's just regret for going to my current undergrad school that makes be want to go to a more highly ranked institution. I've watched online lectures from some of the Ivy leagues and was blown away by how much more interesting the way they introduced the material was. However, I am aware of the fact that they were posted online, and that makes it less than likely that they are representative of the faculty as a whole.

Anyways, what state schools are most friendly to OOS apps? I will do the research as well, I'm just interested in other people's opinions. I am ready for a change of scenery. :sleep: