What are my chances for EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ambrosia2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while now and seeing the other WAMC post, I thought this might be a good time to get some advise. I'm currently a 3rd year US allopathic med student. I should say, I'm only interested in doing EM and would be devastated if I had to scramble into IM or something else.

My stats:
Step 1 210
Step 2: not taken yet but I've been doing questions/practice exams and the results have been consistent with my step 1 score.
CS: already passed
Grades: Passed surgery and Medicine. High pass for psych, peds, and OB. Doing family now. Years 1 and 2: passed but no high pass or honors. I haven't failed anything.
Volunteer: not a ton. Mostly at the student run clinic.
Research: none
Work: was a EMT before medschool

I have my home SubI scheduled for July and an away in September at a well known east coast program.

I'd like to stay on the east coast for residency.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a DO 4th year (so already in a lesser position than you)
Step 1 :218
Step 2: 245
3rd years EM elective: honors, more or less 75% mix of high passes and honors, few random passes.
No clue what class rank i was...prob rght around 50th percentile id guess.

Applied to 42 acgme programs, 9 interviews, ranked everything. And matched. I am not staying on the east coast like i too had hoped, but I am 100 % excited about my program.

Make sure you rock that step 2, as a lot of anecdotal reports claim EM favors step 2 vs step 1. Rock those aways/subIs and you should be fine. You are a US allo grad....already a massive leg up on me!!

I think it is possible. You need to do very well on your EM rotations, get good letters. A friend of mine had a Step 1 similar to yours, might have been lower, and actually did worse on Step 2 and still matched. Apply very broadly, and to a lot of programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is possible. You need to do very well on your EM rotations, get good letters. A friend of mine had a Step 1 similar to yours, might have been lower, and actually did worse on Step 2 and still matched. Apply very broadly, and to a lot of programs.

Most important advice on here.

The advice I got pre-application this year when I asked how broadly I should apply was basically "two years ago I would have told you 20 places, but things have changed so I would do at least 40". I did 40, and I am glad I did. The cost of some extra applications is nothing compared to the cost of med school or the cost of not matching.

If I had to do it again, I'd apply to every damn program out there, and swallow the extra several hundred bucks.

Reactions: 1 users
If I had to do it again, I'd apply to every damn program out there, and swallow the extra several hundred bucks.

There are ~165 EM programs out there. You would really apply to that many? I guess it is the safer route because you can always decline interviews if you get too many?

There are ~165 EM programs out there. You would really apply to that many? I guess it is the safer route because you can always decline interviews if you get too many?
how many interviews is too many

Could someone give me an idea on my chances?
I am an MS4 who did not match into an extremely competitive field. Plan to apply EM next cycle
Step 1: 252
Step 2: 251
CS passed first attempt
Preclinical grades 75% honors
MS3 grades HPs and Passes
not AOA
I did extremely well first 2 years. Could not honor a clerkship because I got average shelf scores (at my school its extremely hard to get honors)
No red flags except that I am applying a year out from graduation. never failed anything or any bad eval/comments on a rotation
Have research in non EM field, but will get EM research during this yr

I am an MS4 who did not match into an extremely competitive field. Plan to apply EM next cycle
CS passed first attempt
not AOA
I did extremely well first 2 years. Could not honor a clerkship because I got average shelf scores (at my school its extremely hard to get honors)
No red flags except that I am applying a year out from graduation. never failed anything or any bad eval/comments on a rotation

You have a chance

I've been lurking for a while now and seeing the other WAMC post, I thought this might be a good time to get some advise. I'm currently a 3rd year US allopathic med student. I should say, I'm only interested in doing EM and would be devastated if I had to scramble into IM or something else.

My stats:
Step 1 210
Step 2: not taken yet but I've been doing questions/practice exams and the results have been consistent with my step 1 score.
CS: already passed
Grades: Passed surgery and Medicine. High pass for psych, peds, and OB. Doing family now. Years 1 and 2: passed but no high pass or honors. I haven't failed anything.
Volunteer: not a ton. Mostly at the student run clinic.
Research: none
Work: was a EMT before medschool

I have my home SubI scheduled for July and an away in September at a well known east coast program.

I'd like to stay on the east coast for residency.

What do you guys think?

You have a chance

CS passed first attempt
not AOA
No chance whatsoever

how many interviews is too many
There is no such thing. You can always decline interviews.

If you get a ton of interviews and are sitting on them while waiting to hear back from other places, you will get the distinct impression from SDN that you are a horrible person and are stealing their interview spot by not dropping places. This is a load of crap. Drop the ones you don't want once you actually have the interview offers you do want. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but trust me, this theme will come around again next interview season.