What are my chances?!/Help with Schools List Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCIpremed4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am from one of the schools in the University of California system.
I have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.3sGPA and took the may MCAT where I scored:
Chem-127-79%
CARS-125-58%
Bio-128-87%
Psych-126-66%
Total: 506-71%

Obviously, a CA resident.
-am a NCAA Division I athlete- 4000+ hrs dedicated to athletics
-500+ hours- Research Hrs
-50+ hours- Shadowing doctor
-430 hours- Hospital Volunteer
-Received a grant for research, created my own research project and presented at a symposium
-Received many scholar-athlete awards and athletic awards
-Worked as a babysitter, waitress, and TPR proctor (great college job btw!)
-SES disadvantaged
-english is not my first language.

I have a tremendous upward trend.
Actually failed a class my first quarter of college, which is significantly bringing down my GPA, but my last 2 years of college I have received 3.8's-4.0's.

I am applying to low-tier schools due to my low GPA/MCAT, but hoping my extracurriculars, strong LOR's and PS will help?

My list so far:
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
University of Washington
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFUMS)
UC Davis
UCI
UCLA, drew and greffen
UCR
UCSD
Drexel University College of Medical
Albany Medical College
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth University SOM
Thomas Jefferson University

I would like help adding to the list, I am also applying to DO schools.

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have the equivalent of between a 28 and 29 so the California schools are probably all reaches. I would drop U of Washington because they are unfriendly to OOS students not from certain states. For a similar reason I would also consider cutting Oregon. Consider adding Western Michigan, Creighton, SLU, Loyola, Oakland, and Temple to begin with. I personally think going to California Northstate would be risky but if you would attend if it were your only acceptance you may want to look into it. For DO schools your GPA isn't great but you are competitive so you should be able to pick almost any of them to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have the equivalent of between a 28 and 29 so the California schools are probably all reaches. I would drop U of Washington because they are unfriendly to OOS students not from certain states. For a similar reason I would also consider cutting Oregon. Consider adding Western Michigan, Creighton, SLU, Loyola, Oakland, and Temple to begin with. I personally think going to California Northstate would be risky but if you would attend if it were your only acceptance you may want to look into it. For DO schools your GPA isn't great but you are competitive so you should be able to pick almost any of them to apply to.

Thanks so much!!

You're fine for most DO programs.

3.4/28 isn't going to be good enough for MDs, particularly being from CA.

Reactions: 1 user
You can delete Oregon and Washington since you are not a resident of those states. These are schools you could add where you would have a chance for an interview:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Temple
Commonwealth (PA)
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rush
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
California Northstate (new school )
I suggest applying to at least 6 DO schools and your stats are competitive for any DO schools. There is no guarantee of a MD acceptance with your stats.

You can delete Oregon and Washington since you are not a resident of those states. These are schools you could add where you would have a chance for an interview:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Temple
Commonwealth (PA)
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rush
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
California Northstate (new school )
I suggest applying to at least 6 DO schools and your stats are competitive for any DO schools. There is no guarantee of a MD acceptance with your stats.

Thank you.

If you are not a UCR grad or IE resident, UCR is low yield.
Drew is also a mission based school, so make sure you have a validated commitment to urban under-served before applying.
I cannot recommend CNU at this time for an applicant in their first application cycle with an application consistent with success at any other US school.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are not a UCR grad or IE resident, UCR is low yield.
Drew is also a mission based school, so make sure you have a validated commitment to urban under-served before applying.
I cannot recommend CNU at this time for an applicant in their first application cycle with an application consistent with success at any other US school.

I really appreciate your input!