What are my chances? (Junior in College)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JTDSB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'de like to get some opinions on my chances for med school (MD) acceptance. I'll try and be concise.

-I'm a junior in college prepping for the MCAT this summer, and my practice tests make me think I'll fall within the 33-36 range.

-I have shadowing hours (50) with MD's, DO's, and PT's (back when I was pre-PT), and experience working as a dialysis technician in a hospital and aide in a retiremIent community(1 year). I also have an EMT cert.

-Involvement with campus groups for my first 2 years, but I have stopped due to concentrating on school.

-Physics, advanced Physics, and Physiology tutor

-I have all my letters of rec from professors, and I have been doing neuroscience research for 1.5 years now. I MAY have my name on a paper before graduation.

-I started as a double major in Bio and Psych, than switched to just Sports Medicine (pre-PT again)

-I'll ideally be getting my M.S in Neurobiology before applying, so I'll be able to claim graduate work.

-My GPA is where things get rough. I did pretty bad my first year, and have been steadily climbing ever since, but I'm predicting a cGPA between 3.0 -3.4 and similar sGPA for graduation and thus applying to med school.

-I'm just looking for some honest opinions. Do you think I have a shot at M.D? If so, which schools? If not, is there anything I could do to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hard to say without the MCAT. Your ranges for GPAs are below average for MD. You'd probably be fine for DO. But again much depends on the MCAT.
Getting a Masters degree isn't as helpful as you might think. Grad programs are notorious for grade inflation so schools look at them rather skeptically. You might investigate a SMP instead. You also need some additional shadowing.
Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
-My GPA is where things get rough. I did pretty bad my first year, and have been steadily climbing ever since, but I'm predicting a cGPA between 3.0 -3.4 and similar sGPA for graduation and thus applying to med school.

Everything on your resume looks good except this. The difference between 3.0 and 3.4 is enormous, obviously. But keep in mind the national average for matriculated MDs is around a 3.7. You may be looking at DO schools.

That GPA is definitely on the low side, if you can retake some of your lower grades I would recommend that, as well as killing the MCAT. Based on that gpa you may be ok for DO schools, not MD unless you raise it significantly.

A 3.0 will lower your chances significantly compared to a 3.4, which is still on the lower side but doable if your MCAT is high. Make sure to get straight As from now on.

Thanks everyone! I'm getting the jist that SMP-than MD or DO are the routes I should be going. I appreciate it!