What are my chances? Non-trad, masters in bioinformatics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrcm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm a science flavored non-traditional applicant wondering about my chances and would love for you all to weigh in if you don't mind!

Here's my situation:
Undergrad cGPA: 3.40, sGPA: 3.34 . Two major academic sins: Organic chem II: D+, Calculus II: C.

______Diagnosed with sleep apnea, began treatment and school got easier_____

MCAT: 36/97% (BS 14/99%, V: 12/98%, P 10/78%)
Post-bac undergrad coursework: retook organic chem II: A-, EM Physics: A, Biochem II: A-, Molecular Bio II: A
MS Bioinformatics: 3.89 gpa

Not totally sure how AAMCAS will calculate my GPA after all is said and done, but my calcs give 3.53 or so with a gpa of slightly under 3.9 for all work done the past 2 years.

Clinical volunteering: 110 hours in a major regional ED, 110 hours (and ongoing) entertaining and supporting kiddos and parents in a pediatric oncology clinic. Shadowing: ~50 hrs in neurology, rheumatology, EM, infectious disease, sports medicine.

Non-clinical volunteering: ~20 hours split between an organization that helps immigrants during naturalization and a kitchen that cooks free, healthy meals for people with severe health concerns and limited budgets.

Extracurriculars/Awards: Ran DIII track and XC, awarded distinction in biology major, elected vice-president and treasurer of outdoor club, played a whole bunch of music, worked in genetics lab, teaching assistant x 4, walked around having no idea I wanted to be a doctor.

Work experience: Full-time research technician in a translational lab for a year and a half, interning in a computational biomedicine lab

Long story short, as an undergrad I did well at biology but messed up some of the other pre-med stuff up very badly. Seems like this was probably due to the sleep apnea. I've been working hard towards a come from behind admission, think I can pull it off?

School list (suggestions?):
Home = Massachusetts
UMass
Tufts
BU
University of Minnesota
Mayo (Delusional longshot you say? Definitely. But I love Mayo and will gladly toss them my application fee to know that they (not me) ruled me out)
Drexel
Georgetown
GWU
Dartmouth
Brown
Temple
Loyola
Tulane
Rush
UVM
U Mich. (See Mayo)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could add schools such as:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
It is important to apply to many schools since your GPA is a little low and you want to maximize the number of interviews you receive.

Thanks Faha! Do you think the list look pretty reasonable with these additions (with the possible exception of strong reach schools that I noted?) Any other opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Faha! Do you think the list look pretty reasonable with these additions (with the possible exception of strong reach schools that I noted?) Any other opinions?
Yes, you would have a reasonable list. Your high MCAT will attract the attention of some schools.

Great, thanks again! Seems like you help out a lot of people on this site, it's much appreciated.