MD What are my chances of being admitted into a medical school through a local SUNY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted in to SUNY Buffalo State. They offer pre-med advisement even though being a school focused primarily on the arts. I will be majoring in Biology. I talked to the head of the science department.. and she said only a few students yearly are accepted into medical school. Can you go to medical school through any no name school like mine? Would I be better off transferring out? Apparently they do offer research and other things to help you extra curricular.. Has anyone here went to medical school through some state school like mine? Any suggestions would be good, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe that where you go to school makes no difference, as long as you do well. A 4.0 from SUNY New Paltz or Kutztown State is nothing to be sneezed at.

Apparently some Admissions deans at Big Name med schools like students from Big Name colleges. But many schools are feeders for med schools, and they have a high yield because their product is a known quantity.

But for SUNY Buffalo, 18% of the matriculants attended the UG school, so do well and you'll have decent odds. But really, it's on you.

I believe that where you go to school makes no difference, as long as you do well. A 4.0 from SUNY New Paltz or Kutztown State is nothing to be sneezed at.

Apparently some Admissions deans at Big Name med schools like students from Big Name colleges. But many schools are feeders for med schools, and they have a high yield because their product is a known quantity.

But for SUNY Buffalo, 18% of the matriculants attended the UG school, so do well and you'll have decent odds. But really, it's on you.
Let's not confuse SUNY Buffalo State, or University at Buffalo which has it's own medical school. You are talking about Buffalo state, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
SUNY Buffalo med school IS U of Buffalo. Specifically, it' s U of Buffalo SUNY School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.

From Wiki:

The State University of New York at Buffalo is a public research university with multiple campuses located in Buffalo and Amherst, New York, United States. It is commonly referred to as the University at Buffalo (abbreviated UB) or SUNY Buffalo, and it was formerly known as the University of Buffalo.

Let's not confuse SUNY Buffalo State, or University at Buffalo which has it's own medical school. You are talking about Buffalo state, correct?

SUNY Buffalo med school IS U of Buffalo. Specifically, it' s U of Buffalo SUNY School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.

From Wiki:

The State University of New York at Buffalo is a public research university with multiple campuses located in Buffalo and Amherst, New York, United States. It is commonly referred to as the University at Buffalo (abbreviated UB) or SUNY Buffalo, and it was formerly known as the University of Buffalo.
I'm going to SUNY Buffalo state not SUNY Buffalo. There's a difference.. I was just wondering med schools don't care about no name UG schools?

As long as you do well in your classes and your MCAT, school name matters very little for the vast majority of medical schools.

As I said, a 4.0 from Kutztown State is nothing to sneeze at.

Your situation is no different than someone who goes to MSU instead of U MI, or Iowa State, vs U IA.

I'm going to SUNY Buffalo state not SUNY Buffalo. There's a difference.. I was just wondering med schools don't care about no name UG schools?

As I said, a 4.0 from Kutztown State is nothing to sneeze at.

Your situation is no different than someone who goes to MSU instead of U MI, or Iowa State, vs U of IA.

This post made me smile. :)

Also, I agree w/ everything you've posted here.