What are my chances of getting an interview offer for Fall 2012 Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChokherOD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have applied to the Following Optometry Schools:

SUNY - OK, I won't get into this, but applied anyway!!!
PCO
ICO
IUSO
NECO
MCO
UMSL
SCO

I did really horrible in OAT: TS 270 AA 280
My GPA: 3.25 Optomcas GPA: 3.29

I did lots for shadowing for a Vision therapist (100+ hours for 4 months)
Community service for home Improvements for a year - Ave 3 Hours a Week.
Currently Volunteering to teach student Math and Reading - Ave 3 Hours a Week

Do you think I will be invited for interview from any of the schools I've applied? I'm really worried, because I know that most of the seats are filled up already. Any feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have applied to the Following Optometry Schools:

SUNY - OK, I won't get into this, but applied anyway!!!
PCO
ICO
IUSO
NECO
MCO
UMSL
SCO

I did lots for shadowing for a Vision therapist (100+ hours for 4 months)
Community service for home Improvements for a year - Ave 3 Hours a Week.
Currently Volunteering to teach student Math and Reading - Ave 3 Hours a Week

Do you think I will be invited for interview from any of the schools I've applied? I'm really worried, because I know that most of the seats are filled up already. Any feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you have time to retake the OAT before the application cycle ends? Most of them like to have a minimum of a 300, but might make an exception for a 280 or 290 if the GPA is really strong. I think your GPA is around average (maybe slightly higher than average for a couple schools), but not something that will make your OAT school irrelevant. Did you already send in your application? Sometimes the admissions offices will give you feedback regarding their minimum cut-offs so that you don't waste money applying only to find out they won't consider you.

If you CAN retake the OAT, I would highly recommend it! I had a friend get into SCO from the waitlist last summer. He didn't apply until February. I have no idea what his stats were, but I know they weren't mind blowing!

Here are the average entering stats for 2010:
http://www.opted.org/files/public/Profile of the Entering Class 2010FINALpdf.pdf
It looks like Puerto Rico and Western are the only ones with average stats in your range, and you didn't apply to either. Keep in mind though that 50% of the entering class fell below those numbers as well.

Thanks for the reply. My application was mailed out last week through OptomCas, and I received e-mail from some of the schools saying they have received my application.

Do you have time to retake the OAT before the application cycle ends? Most of them like to have a minimum of a 300, but might make an exception for a 280 or 290 if the GPA is really strong. I think your GPA is around average (maybe slightly higher than average for a couple schools), but not something that will make your OAT school irrelevant. Did you already send in your application? Sometimes the admissions offices will give you feedback regarding their minimum cut-offs so that you don't waste money applying only to find out they won't consider you.

If you CAN retake the OAT, I would highly recommend it! I had a friend get into SCO from the waitlist last summer. He didn't apply until February. I have no idea what his stats were, but I know they weren't mind blowing!

Here are the average entering stats for 2010:
http://www.opted.org/files/public/Profile of the Entering Class 2010FINALpdf.pdf
It looks like Puerto Rico and Western are the only ones with average stats in your range, and you didn't apply to either. Keep in mind though that 50% of the entering class fell below those numbers as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, are you eligible to retake your OAT? I think that would be a a red flag for most schools. Most schools have specific requirements and I think IUCO state somewhere on the secondary that they only accept OAT subjects with 300 or above (I'm not 100% sure). Since you just mailed out your application, it will take a couple of weeks for school to start calling you for interview if they like your stat. If you do get one, some might advise you to retake the OAT for reconsideration or put your spot on hold pending the result of the OAT. Also, call the school's admission office and ask they if you are competitive enough. I had to do that with 1 of my school and they offered great help. Good luck

I'll retake it again since I'm not happy with the score at all. I just took it today so I don't think have enough time retake it before all the deadlines. Yes, I'll call the schools up just to make sure where I stand. If I'm lucky then I'll get some interview, if not then I'll try for next year.

I agree, are you eligible to retake your OAT? I think that would be a a red flag for most schools. Most schools have specific requirements and I think IUCO state somewhere on the secondary that they only accept OAT subjects with 300 or above (I'm not 100% sure). Since you just mailed out your application, it will take a couple of weeks for school to start calling you for interview if they like your stat. If you do get one, some might advise you to retake the OAT for reconsideration or put your spot on hold pending the result of the OAT. Also, call the school's admission office and ask they if you are competitive enough. I had to do that with 1 of my school and they offered great help. Good luck

Ouch yeah I think IAUPR might take you if you don't mind moving to Puerto Rico and want to not wait a whole year.

I'll retake it again since I'm not happy with the score at all. I just took it today so I don't think have enough time retake it before all the deadlines. Yes, I'll call the schools up just to make sure where I stand. If I'm lucky then I'll get some interview, if not then I'll try for next year.

Don't be discourage. You just took it, and yeah there's the whole 90 days waiting period. This time study harder and use more practice tests. The more practice that you do, the better you can understand the materials. Most people have to take it 2+ times, so its never too late. However, IF you put the effort and study, you might be able to make in this cycle. Some schools like PCO, NOVA, and RSO have deadlines that are until 6/1/12 (5 months from now), so that's a lot of time. It's NOT to late for PCO, so that's your best choice because the other schools deadline will pass before the 90 day period.

http://www.optomcas.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=38

Last edited:

Yea then definitely call the schools and let them know what date you are planning on retaking it. That way they can put your application on hold or possibly give you conditional acceptance so long as you meet a specific requirement on the score. I hope it works out for you to get in this cycle!

I agree with others though - never assume anything and just stress the stronger points in your application!