What are my chances of getting into UC schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luvahgilahsa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a Wisconsin resident applying for admission in 2013
I have really wanted to go to California ever since high school, but back then my family lived in Syracuse, so my parents wanted to keep me close, so i never got a chance to apply to any UC's. I ended up going to Cornell, which isn't bad, but the weather here is sooo depressing,and I think I have enough of this northeastern gloomy weather ( did you know that it snowed like two weeks ago??? It's literally 40 degrees outside right now). I want to apply to UCLA, UC Irvine, etc, but I think those are pretty hard to get into as a nonresident, so I'm kind of worried...
So here are my stats

I have 3.75-3.8GPA,
not sure yet because the semester isn't over.

I haven't taken any MCATs yet, but will in June.
I got a 30 on the only practice MCAT i took, so i'm hoping to aim for a 35 or higher after a few weeks of intense studying.

I have done 2+ years of research in a plant pathology lab.
generated some great data, but would not be able to publish until next year :(

I have volunteered at local hospital for 2 semester+summer.
ER as well as long term patient visits

I have shadowed two doctors.

I have 3 pretty okay rec letters, two from science professors and one from chinese professor. i'm hoping to get one more from the physician I shadowed.

So what are my chances at getting into UC schools if I'm not a resident? I would be so happy if I can go, seriously.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how come no one is giving me an answer :(

I don't think I'm qualified to give a good answer (I'm applying for admission in 2014 haha), but maybe people could give you a better assessment once you actually take the MCAT.

This following thread will give you a decent idea of where you stand based on your grades/MCAT (I found this pretty helpful because you can do what if scenarios and the like):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=831618

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow 2013 applicant here. From what I understand, you have very poor chances at UC Irvine and Davis. Even though these are the two "lower tier" UC medical schools, their acceptance rate for out-of-state applicants is very low, around 1%. UCSD definitely accepts some out-of-state applicants, but gives preference to Californians. Assuming a 35+ MCAT, you'd be a strong candidate for UCSD as an in-stater, but being out-of-state does set you back a bit. UCSF gives some preference to in-staters as well. UCLA supposedly doesn't discriminate against out-of-state applicants. You have a chance there if you knock your MCAT out of the park. I hate being so negative, but California has so many of its own applicants and so few medical school seats that it's really hard for someone from out of state to make it here. Good news is that USC and Stanford don't care where you're from :)

Last edited:
Fellow 2013 applicant here. From what I understand, you have very poor chances at UC Irvine and Davis. Even though these are the two "lower tier" UC medical schools, their acceptance rate for out-of-state applicants is very low, around 1%. UCSD definitely accepts some out-of-state applicants, but gives preference to Californians. Assuming a 35+ MCAT, you'd be a strong candidate for UCSD as an in-stater, but being out-of-state does set you back a bit. UCSF gives some preference to in-staters as well. UCLA supposedly doesn't discriminate against out-of-state applicants. You have a chance there if you knock your MCAT out of the park. I hate being so negative, but California has so many of its own applicants and so few medical school seats that it's really hard for someone from out of state to make it here. Good news is that USC and Stanford don't care where you're from :)

Oh my, that does sound hard... My current roommate that I'm super close to lives in Irvine, so I was hoping that I would get in there. So I probably have a better shot at UCLA, UCSD, or UCSF?? But aren't those schools hard to get into to begin with? I feel like it's hard for me either way :(
USC and Standford do sound good as well, but they are also ridiculous to get into as well, plus the tuition is like triple that of the UC's....
I hate this instate out of state discrimination... At this rate I'll probably only get into UW Madison or Milwakee.

Oh my, that does sound hard... My current roommate that I'm super close to lives in Irvine, so I was hoping that I would get in there. So I probably have a better shot at UCLA, UCSD, or UCSF?? But aren't those schools hard to get into to begin with? I feel like it's hard for me either way :(
USC and Standford do sound good as well, but they are also ridiculous to get into as well, plus the tuition is like triple that of the UC's....
I hate this instate out of state discrimination... At this rate I'll probably only get into UW Madison or Milwakee.

Yes. :(

I have also heard that UC Irvine and UC Davis don't really take out of state students.

Wanna trade? Id love to leave California(and currently live in Irvine.....) :p

Going to CA for med school when you're not already there is definitely swimming against the tide, since there are a lot of people who already live there who have to leave for med school. USC, Stanford and Loma Linda don't have IS preference, but Stanford is Stanford and Loma Linda's definitely not for everybody (requires a lifestyle agreement). If what you want is better weather than Wisconsin/Ithaca though, there are definitely lots of options outside of California though. If nothing else, do really well in med school and on the boards and try to match a residency in California.