What are my chances of having a career in the med field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bzelaznog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To begin with, my first two years of high school consisted of little to no care for my grades. This has left me with roughly a 1.8 gpa the beginning of my junior year. Im on the road to changing my act and im now getting As and Bs which i guess is average. I would love to pursue a career in the medical field either as a orthopedic surgeon or a plastic surgeon. I realize with my grades currently it will be difficult to raise them enough to be accepted into a college and im prepared to take more time to go to a community college first then move on from there. I live in Miami so colleges such as FIU or UF are colleges in mind. Any advice on classes i should take that would help my odds is much appreciated. Also, do things such as community service at a hospital look good on my applications next year. Any advice given is much appreciated im open for judgement. Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

There are so many variables here that it's virtually impossible to give you an honest answer. However, starting off at a community college shouldn't hurt your chances at all. Community service will help somewhat for undergrad, however the most important part of your application will ultimately be your grades and SAT score.

lol...... high school student..... interested in plastic surgery and orthopedic surgery..... ok

Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on getting into a decent 4-year institution, and performing to the best of your abilties. In a few years you can reassess your long-term career goals and whether or not you have earned the grades and credentials to even consider medical school. Do not be shocked if your desires have changed drastically, this happens and is a good thing.

It is way too early to be chosing a medical specialty! :)

However, it is nice that you have an idea of what you want to do. If you truly desire this, then you have plenty of time to build yourself a strong application.

Nonetheless, please take this one step at a time. College first.