What are my chances of top MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexiespaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 15 schools, with about half being top 20 schools. Here are my stats:

MCAT: 32 (12 B,11 P,9 V)
GPA: 3.78
Research: 1 full year paid research assistant, 1 summer paid apprenticeship (different labs)
1 semester for credit junior year
completing an honors thesis senior year
presented my initial findings of thesis at Experimental Biology Conference
awarded 3 undergraduate grants for research
Clinical Experience: worked as home caregiver then nurse's aide
volunteered in nursing homes and with disability homes
Extracurricular Activities: colony coordinator and founder of a chapter of Phi Delta Epsilon (medical fraternity), first acting president, alpha initiate, etc.
Delegate of Phi Delta Epsilon's Leadership conference
Member of an intercollegiate equestrian team (4 year member, 1 year vice president)

I really want to go to a top 20 school, but I know my MCAT is a little low. Will my research, paid clinical experience, and extracurricular activities help me for top schools?

One last kicker is my application is still being verified. I submitted in beginning of August, but transcripts and letters recently were received. I have 4 secondaries already (but I think these go to everyone who applied).

HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

you should chill. for all intents and purposes a U.S. med school of practically any stripe is fine. no body will know (or care) where you went to school as long as you complete a residency and get boarded. i speak from 37 years experience as a physician.

Last edited by a moderator:
considering that youre late, and half of your schools are top 20 (aka half of your schools youre below average on stats) does not bode well

if you want some concrete advice, post your list, but pretty much everyones gonna tell you to apply broadly and add in more mid to low tier schools

you dont want your ego to be the reason you have to wait another year and be a reapplicant

your ECs sound pretty standard, so no they will not make you stand out

Members don't see this ad :)
With an avg MCAT that's imbalanced, I think you should have focussed more on the medium tier schools. But you should have some luck with the other half of your choices.

I applied to 15 schools, with about half being top 20 schools. Here are my stats:

MCAT: 32 (12 B,11 P,9 V)
GPA: 3.78
Research: 1 full year paid research assistant, 1 summer paid apprenticeship (different labs)
1 semester for credit junior year
completing an honors thesis senior year
presented my initial findings of thesis at Experimental Biology Conference
awarded 3 undergraduate grants for research
Clinical Experience: worked as home caregiver then nurse's aide
volunteered in nursing homes and with disability homes
Extracurricular Activities: colony coordinator and founder of a chapter of Phi Delta Epsilon (medical fraternity), first acting president, alpha initiate, etc.
Delegate of Phi Delta Epsilon's Leadership conference
Member of an intercollegiate equestrian team (4 year member, 1 year vice president)

I really want to go to a top 20 school, but I know my MCAT is a little low. Will my research, paid clinical experience, and extracurricular activities help me for top schools?

One last kicker is my application is still being verified. I submitted in beginning of August, but transcripts and letters recently were received. I have 4 secondaries already (but I think these go to everyone who applied).

HELP!!!

I would add more schools as soon as possible (and not top 20 programs by the way). You are setting yourself up for trouble. It is ok to take a shot at some top 20s, but they are all reaches for you.

You definitely shouldn't have applied so top heavy, but hopefully you'll have some luck at a few of those 15. If not, you know what to change next cycle.