what are my chances, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prodigalson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so here is the story, I have a 3.38 science GPA and a 3.52 overall GPA. terrible I know but believe it or not after my first two years at university I had an overall of 3.7 and a science gpa of 3.7 as well. I received an A in all he pre--requisite medical school classes except chemistry 1. everything else from organic chem, physics, biology, you name it. after my second year of college I had a major family problem that had me commuting from school to home (which was a 3 hour drive) twice a week. and since I was a biology major I had to take a lot of biology classes which required a lot of work I did not have time to get to. this family problem I had was with my grandparents who both had diabetes and are now both dead after a long battle with it. and I know this is an excuse but that doesnt change the fact its true. if anyone where to look at my grade trends they would even see for themselves. And im not here trying to find a way to use this to my advantage, I just want to know if I still have a chance to go to medical school. I just graduated last may (2014) and I was unable to take the old mcat because of this same situation, I was unable to study. both my granparents died this year as well. Is there any chance I can get in if I study for the new mcat and do well? I have lots of volunteer/shadowing hours. I just need to know if there is any chance I can still get in. I am a texas resident and would like to go to med school in texas. the most important thing I am afraid of is the fact that over the last 2 years of college (in which I was split home and at school), I received a total of 3 C's in science classes and thats why my gpa dropped so drastically. in such rediculous classes such as plant biology... So please. I just want to know if me doing well on this new mcat gives me any chance of getting into med school. I am smart and if I had a normal college life all 4 years I would have definitely had a good gpa, taken the mcat at the right time, and would have already applied a year ago. Please let me know, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

edit your post with paragraphing please. this brick wall is hard to read

sorry to hear about your grandparents

the GPA is low but not a death sentence. you live in a good state too (texas schools like their own residents), so if you do very well on your MCAT (>90th percentile), you'll have a fair shot. DO probably needs to be an option too, especially if your MCAT doesn't turn out stellar.

you'll also want to make sure you have all the necessary pre-reqs, considering many schools are adding additional requirements (sociology, biochem, english, etc) and you might not have taken those since you planned to apply earlier. also make sure your ECs are great. good luck