What are my chances? (School list)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted654432

- NY Resident
- SUNY Buffalo State
- cGPA: 3.75
- sGPA: 3.84
- MCAT: 31

- Biology major
- Chemistry minor
- 3 summer research projects, each with a presentation.
- > 500 hours of clinical experience
- > 100 hours of shadowing
- > 100 hours of non-medicine related volunteering
- Multiple awards and recognitions (Dean's List, Honors College, Honors Biology etc.)
- Strong LOR's.

Was just wondering what everyone thought about my school list, and if there is any you would add or remove. The schools with the "**" are the schools I would like hear people's opinions on if I have a realistic shot.

: MD
- SUNY Buffalo**
- Albany Medical College
- Drexel University
- New York Medical College
- New York University**
- Stanford University (far reach, but I want to apply just to give it a shot)
- SUNY Downstate
- SUNY Upstate
- Stony Brook University
- University of Florida
- University of Miami**
- University of Rochester (reach)
- Vanderbilt University**

: DO
- Des Moines University
- Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine**
- New York Institute of Technology**
- Nova Southeastern University
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest

- SUNY Buffalo**
- Albany Medical College
- SUNY Downstate
- SUNY Upstate
- Stony Brook University
- University of Miami**
- University of Rochester
Netter
Tulane
TCMC
The Philly Triplets
EVMS
VCU
Rush
Loyola
MCW
SLU
Wake
Creighton
ANY DO school. Start with PCOM, Touro-NY and NYITCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest

- SUNY Buffalo**
- Albany Medical College
- SUNY Downstate
- SUNY Upstate
- Stony Brook University
- University of Miami**
- University of Rochester
Netter
Tulane
TCMC
The Philly Triplets
EVMS
VCU
Rush
Loyola
MCW
SLU
Wake
Creighton
ANY DO school. Start with PCOM, Touro-NY and NYITCOM.

Do you think I would have a realistic shot at Miami?

@Goro

I know this post is very old, but I just had another quick question I think you could answer. With the stats listed above and with a 30-32 range MCAT, would an acceptance to the University of Florida be possible? Keep in mind that I am not a FLA resident (NY). And if you have any percentages of out of state acceptees I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

You're in striking distance, yes. That's why I left it on the list.

@Goro

I know this post is very old, but I just had another quick question I think you could answer. With the stats listed above and with a 30-32 range MCAT, would an acceptance to the University of Florida be possible? Keep in mind that I am not a FLA resident (NY). And if you have any percentages of out of state acceptees I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

No.

For U FL, out of 1513 OOS apps, only 43 got interviews, 16 matriculated! Harvard is easier to get into! If you're IS, the odds go up to 10%

I feel all of the state MD schools in FL are poor yield for OOS, except U SF

@Goro would an acceptance to the University of Florida be possible? Keep in mind that I am not a FLA resident (NY). And if you have any percentages of out of state acceptees I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro @Monster_Cat

Im asking this because I am planning on applying to the JHMP at the University of Florida, with my current stats being approx:

cGPA: 3.80
sGPA: 3.90

I have research experience through the SUNY system

Many hours of medical related volunteer hours : 100-150

Shadowing experience: multiple types of MDs.

I dont know if the OOS stats change for the JHMP.

No.

For U FL, out of 1513 OOS apps, only 43 got interviews, 16 matriculated! Harvard is easier to get into! If you're IS, the odds go up to 10%

I feel all of the state MD schools in FL are poor yield for OOS, except U SF

Im asking this because I am planning on applying to the JHMP at the University of Florida, with my current stats being approx:

I consider that the MCAT would be the deal breaker. State schools favor the home team and thus you have to be > average. I don't know anything about JHMP

JHMP is open to all UGs, with no stated residency bias.

Aren't you too old/advanced in college for that program, though?

No, Im currently in my sophomore year. The MCAT score is hypothetical, but the GPA's and EC's are legit. So you're saying JHMP has no preferance for florida residents over NY?

No, Im currently in my sophomore year. The MCAT score is hypothetical, but the GPA's and EC's are legit.
Ahhhhh this makes far more sense now.

So you're saying JHMP has no preferance for florida residents over NY?
I'm probably not the one to ask on all things JHMP on here, but what I can tell you is that one of my friends matriculated at UF for this program, and her class was decidedly non-Floridian. Hence my belief that it is open to all (their website also doesn't mention a FL restriction, which is something that most programs do publicize).

Ahhhhh this makes far more sense now.

I'm probably not the one to ask on all things JHMP on here, but what I can tell you is that one of my friends matriculated at UF for this program, and her class was decidedly non-Floridian. Hence my belief that it is open to all (their website also doesn't mention a FL restriction, which is something that most programs do publicize).

I dont mean to keep bugging you about this, but did your friend happen to mention how many applicants they accept or anything like that? Ive been searching all over the internet for information and I cannot find anything.

I dont mean to keep bugging you about this, but did your friend happen to mention how many applicants they accept or anything like that? Ive been searching all over the internet for information and I cannot find anything.
Sorry, I don't know the exact numbers, but I can confirm what you probably knew anyways: it's extremely competitive.