What are my chances? (specific) 3.8 sGPA/cGPA , 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted654432

- NY Resident
- Attend a SUNY College
- Biology Major with Chemistry Minor

- Approx. 3.8 sGPA and cGPA
- 33 MCAT
- > 500 hours clinical "hands-on" experience
- > 100 hours of shadowing MDs and DOs
- 3 years of research with faculty member (SUNY STEM Passport Program, must apply and applicants are chosen by a board)
- > 100 hours of volunteering (non-medicine related)

After reviewing my stats compared to MD and DO school averages, I think it is safe to say I have a pretty good shot at most DO schools, and many of the SUNY MD schools. My main question is, with the numbers I listed above, how good would my chances be for a top tier medical school? Would it be a waste of time and money to apply to schools like Harvard, Yale, Brown, Penn, Stanford, etc, or could I have a shot at getting an interview and possibly an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you are not a URM, your MCAT is probably too low to have a realistic shot at top tier schools. Keep in mind that for top 20 schools, the average stats are 3.85/36, and they only go up for the top 10s (of which you have listed 4). You might have a shot at Brown, but they are not in the same league as the other schools you listed. You could always apply if you're willing to pay the money and write the secondaries, but I wouldn't expect too much.

For reference, averages for these schools are

Harvard: 3.9/37
Yale: 3.9/37
Penn: 3.9/38
Stanford: 3.85/37

Brown is closer to 3.7/33 (not 100% sure actual numbers as I didn't apply there)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't apply to those top schools. There are other reaches that you can apply to though too. Like many of the NY schools, OSU, Case, etc. You could try some of those if you have the money. If you can only afford ~10 schools or less than I wouldn't waste spots on any of those reach schools. You have a great shot at many great MD schools though.

I wouldn't apply to those top schools. There are other reaches that you can apply to though too. Like many of the NY schools, OSU, Case, etc. You could try some of those if you have the money. If you can only afford ~10 schools or less than I wouldn't waste spots on any of those reach schools. You have a great shot at many great MD schools though.

I knew prior to this question that my numbers were less than the averages for these schools. I just didnt know if my research and EC's would maybe give me a fighting chance.

I knew prior to this question that my numbers were less than the averages for these schools. I just didnt know if my research and EC's would maybe give me a fighting chance.
Research is good. But your ECs are average and many applicants have done undergraduate research. I wouldn't do it but you can try a couple if you want and have the money!!

Research is good. But your ECs are average and many applicants have done undergraduate research. I wouldn't do it but you can try a couple if you want and have the money!!

Yeah thats what I figured. I'll probably apply to Stanford or Harvard just to say I did haha. You'll never know if you don't try!!!

Yeah thats what I figured. I'll probably apply to Stanford or Harvard just to say I did haha. You'll never know if you don't try!!!
That's true! Many people do that and I did the same thing with other schools of that caliber so I don't blame you at all.