This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!
Sending in my application tonight, so here goes nothing:

Double major: BS in psych/BS in bio
cgpa: 3.2
sgpa:3.1
mcat: taking it next week 9/12-averaging 26-27.

extracurricular activities: over 100+ shadowing 3 podiatrist. Lots of interning at different medical practices(dentist, MD, DO, OD), vision therapist, optometric assistant, 100+ hours volunteering in the ED/ER at a major hospital on LI, president/vice president of 5 clubs including minorites in pre-health, and have a radio show on campus that discusses major health issues, concerns, etc (been doing it for almost 2 years now)

*my first semester grades are horrendous and my grades are pretty scattered. Have 2 F's from orgo 2 and physics 1, I retook physics 1 and got an A and I'm currently retaking orgo 2. Did have a lot of personal family issues throughout college. I'm finishing up my last semester(super seniors for the win!) and graduating in December.

My first choice is NYCPM for January. Also applying to Temple, Barry, Kent, Scholl, DMU, and Merritt.

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking for a little feedback... I have not taken my MCAT yet, which I plan to do this winter, but I am just wanting to see what are my chances/ where I fall among others applying to Podiatry school. I will graduate roughly with a 3.1/3.2 GPA after I am done with undergrad. When I apply to POD school, I will have 2,000 patent care hours, 2 Medical Trips to Haiti (200 hours), 70 hours of shadowing Medical professionals, and 500 hours community service. My concerns is that had some difficulty in undergrad due to some family issues and failed some classes, which I have retaken and gotten A/Bs in. I don't know how much of an issue this is going to be to admission boards/ look on my application. I am really passionate about going to Podiatry school and I am looking to do things that will boost my changes of getting in and will really show the application board this.

SO the questions I have are --

What are my changes of getting in AS I stand now?

What can I do the better my application?

What score do I need on my MCAT to compensate for my poor transcript ( If that is even a plausible thing. )

AND if I would do a Post Bacc education before Podiatry school, WHAT are some good schools that are academic enhancers?

I would really appreciate the feedback and I thank you for reading!

I am looking for a little feedback... I have not taken my MCAT yet, which I plan to do this winter, but I am just wanting to see what are my chances/ where I fall among others applying to Podiatry school. I will graduate roughly with a 3.1/3.2 GPA after I am done with undergrad. When I apply to POD school, I will have 2,000 patent care hours, 2 Medical Trips to Haiti (200 hours), 70 hours of shadowing Medical professionals, and 500 hours community service. My concerns is that had some difficulty in undergrad due to some family issues and failed some classes, which I have retaken and gotten A/Bs in. I don't know how much of an issue this is going to be to admission boards/ look on my application. I am really passionate about going to Podiatry school and I am looking to do things that will boost my changes of getting in and will really show the application board this.

What score do I need on my MCAT to compensate for my poor transcript ( If that is even a plausible thing. )

AND if I would do a Post Bacc education before Podiatry school, WHAT are some good schools that are academic enhancers?

Moving to WAMC

Members don't see this ad :)

Look - if you'd spent anytime on this forum you would know that you won't have any issues when it comes to interviewing. In the grand scheme of things your GPA would likely be called "average". An MCAT of 21-23 will almost certainly be sufficient, but you could get in with less. If you would just hit a 24+ on the MCAT there won't be any questions asked. When you eventually apply to too many schools because you didn't realize that schools offer interviews to literally everyone who applies (you would be well advised to come up with a shortlist of schools rather than applying everywhere) you'll receive interviews everywhere and find yourself trying to save some money and interview at a few places. But how do you limit places when its really difficult to find out information about any of the schools?

Here's the real trouble-spot. If you don't realize how low the admissions standards are then you don't know anything about podiatry school. You don't know that a bunch of the schools have atrocious attrition numbers. You may not be aware that the average board pass rate is ~82% and that certain schools have to be way below that because the schools that release their numbers are all above it. You may not even be aware that you are walking into a residency shortage and that unless things improve significantly in the future the number of students will exceed the number of available residencies available.

There's a world of difference between "what are my changes of getting in somewhere" and what are my chances of eventually being a residency trained podiatrist.

Now delete this unkind post from your mind. You've put a lot of time into helping other people and you need to put some time into helping yourself. Don't believe the hype. Do your research. Shadow as many people as possible. Read some of the threads in the student forum about the residency shortage. Good luck.

Howdy yall,
So I'm planning to apply to Pod school for the class of 2018. My cumulative GPA is around 3.4 and science is around 3.0 I still havn't shadowed a Podiatrist. I recently took the DAT and got a 19. I'm wondering if it would be better to apply to Temple in October/November with my DAT score or apply in December, take the MCAT in January and be able to apply to more schools. Do my current stats give me a strong chance at Temple? Do I need a recc letter from the podiatrist I shadow or can I get one from an M.D.? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Howdy yall,
So I'm planning to apply to Pod school for the class of 2018. My cumulative GPA is around 3.4 and science is around 3.0 I still havn't shadowed a Podiatrist. I recently took the DAT and got a 19. I'm wondering if it would be better to apply to Temple in October/November with my DAT score or apply in December, take the MCAT in January and be able to apply to more schools. Do my current stats give me a strong chance at Temple? Do I need a recc letter from the podiatrist I shadow or can I get one from an M.D.? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Moving to WAMC

Howdy yall,
Thanks!

You have a solid chance at getting into Temple with those stats. Unless you were looking at any other school(s), I would apply. A letter of recommendation from a podiatrist is required at all the podiatry schools. A secondary letter from another health professional is also required for Temple, I believe. So you can probably use your M.D. letter for that.

@EK18 (or others) thanks for the reply. If you don't mind a few questions. What pod school do you go to? Also, if I took the mcat i'd apply to Temple, Scholls, Ohio, a school in California, and maybe NY or Iowa. I'm just trying to decide if I should apply to only Temple with my dat score or if I should take the mcat in January and broaden my application. Although that would make it later in the app cycle

@EK18 (or others) thanks for the reply. If you don't mind a few questions. What pod school do you go to? Also, if I took the mcat i'd apply to Temple, Scholls, Ohio, a school in California, and maybe NY or Iowa. I'm just trying to decide if I should apply to only Temple with my dat score or if I should take the mcat in January and broaden my application. Although that would make it later in the app cycle

No worries, I'm a P1 at Scholl.

You can finish your application, and apply solely to Temple and submit your DAT scores to them. Worst case scenario, you don't get accepted (but like I said, you should have a solid chance with your stats and it is still quite early in the cycle), then you can always register and take the MCAT, then add schools later. I would only recommend the MCAT if you wanted to consider attending any other school besides Temple at this point, since they are the only ones that will accept the DAT.

No worries, I'm a P1 at Scholl.

You can finish your application, and apply solely to Temple and submit your DAT scores to them. Worst case scenario, you don't get accepted (but like I said, you should have a solid chance with your stats and it is still quite early in the cycle), then you can always register and take the MCAT, then add schools later. I would only recommend the MCAT if you wanted to consider attending any other school besides Temple at this point, since they are the only ones that will accept the DAT.

That sounds like a good plan, I wasn't sure if I could do that (apply solely to temple with dat and add schools/mcat if denied) I think I'll do that. Honestly Scholl would be my number 1 if I could choose, but avoiding the mcat would be nice. How do you like Scholl?

1. Schools you are applying to
All of them

2. cGPA/sGPA
3.15c / 3.1s

3. MCAT Score
20 (7/8/5), retaking in january

4. Podiatry Experience
only about 5 hours of shadowing (going to do more when I can)

5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable)
interned for MD doctor (pediatrician) for an entire summer

6. Volunteering
over 200 hours volunteering at a hospital
full summer volunteering at an autistic center

7. Miscellaneous
certified EMT-B in NY

thank you for your help!

1. Schools you are applying to
All of them

2. cGPA/sGPA
3.15c / 3.1s

3. MCAT Score
20 (7/8/5), retaking in january

4. Podiatry Experience
only about 5 hours of shadowing (going to do more when I can)

interned for MD doctor (pediatrician) for an entire summer

6. Volunteering
over 200 hours volunteering at a hospital
full summer volunteering at an autistic center

7. Miscellaneous
certified EMT-B in NY

thank you for your help!

It is likely that you will get an interview invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Majoring in Biochemistry

1. Schools I want to apply to
All of them

2. 3.55cGPA / 3.37sGPA

3. MCAT Score
21 (8PS/7BS/6VR), will retake in January.

4. Podiatry Experience
10 hours of shadowing. I need to get more and plan to do so during winter break (also planning to study for my MCAT retake and apply for summer research programs during this time).

Some MD and DO shadowing.

6. Volunteering
Nearly 50 hours of volunteering at the student health center at my university.

7. Miscellaneous
-Pianist with 14 years worth of classical training – organized, sold tickets for, and performed in a concert as a freshman
-Tae Kwon Do for 11 years – currently holds Junior Black Belt rank
-Ran several half marathons for charity and plan to run another this October.
-Dean's List
-Recognized by my university as the 'best' sophomore in chemistry.

Which schools are your top choice? I ask because you may not need to apply to all nine. It will save you some app money as well as money and time spent interviewing.

Which schools are your top choice? I ask because you may not need to apply to all nine. It will save you some app money as well as money and time spent interviewing.

Temple is my top choice, actually.

Last edited:

EXACTLY what SLCpod said!!!!!!!!! If you apply to ALL 9 schools and it'd cost $440, while 3 schools is $230 and 4 schools is $265 for just the application portion.

With those grades you'll most likely get accepted to each program unless your interview scares them off. So really, the cost to actually go to every school to interview that would be very costly and very time consuming. I have yet to even schedule an interview myself but have at least Barry interview acceptances, but I know I will only plan to interview at 3 of the 4 I applied to.

Time and Money would advise you to apply alone to just your top 3 with those grades and attend those interviews.

Temple is my only choice, honestly. You're saying I can really get in with my stats? Isn't my MCAT score a bit low?

Temple is my only choice, honestly. You're saying I can really get in with my stats? Isn't my MCAT score a bit low?

You're good.

You shouldn't have an issue with your MCAT score. It is a bit low but it certainly isn't pushing the line by far. In the worst case scenario (probably won't happen) they will ask you to take it again. At that point you will have turned in your app and would only have to update your MCAT.

Trust me, you will be fine getting into Temple. In fact, I would not even retake the mcat and just apply now. Your stats are actually a bit above the average for Temple and last year, they were still scrambling to fill in seats 2 week before school started.

Trust me, you will be fine getting into Temple. In fact, I would not even retake the mcat and just apply now. Your stats are actually a bit above the average for Temple and last year, they were still scrambling to fill in seats 2 week before school started.

I agree with him about not taking the MCAT again for Temple. Save yourself the money and stress.

To be honest, I am fairly confident in my academic performance. They are as follows:
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 25Q

I have around 200 clinical volunteer hours, and 100 nonclinical volunteer hours. I have worked full time during college and have been a part of my schools Red Cross club for a few years.

The part I am most worried about is my job shadowing and letter of recommendation. I have job shadowed two podiatrists, one of which is my cousin. I have about 6 hours job shadowing the other podiatrist, and countless hours shadowing, listening, and observing my cousin. For this reason I have asked my cousin to write my letter of recommendation, not the other DPM.

Does anyone know if this will be efficient since he is not an "immediate" family member? I shadowed the other DPM at the beginning of summer, and I don't think it would be too late to request a different letter from him, if it's needed.

Thanks guys.

You're good.

You shouldn't have an issue with your MCAT score. It is a bit low but it certainly isn't pushing the line by far. In the worst case scenario (probably won't happen) they will ask you to take it again. At that point you will have turned in your app and would only have to update your MCAT.

I really hope I wouldn't have to take it again. >_<

To be honest, I am fairly confident in my academic performance. They are as follows:
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 25Q

I have around 200 clinical volunteer hours, and 100 nonclinical volunteer hours. I have worked full time during college and have been a part of my schools Red Cross club for a few years.

The part I am most worried about is my job shadowing and letter of recommendation. I have job shadowed two podiatrists, one of which is my cousin. I have about 6 hours job shadowing the other podiatrist, and countless hours shadowing, listening, and observing my cousin. For this reason I have asked my cousin to write my letter of recommendation, not the other DPM.

Does anyone know if this will be efficient since he is not an "immediate" family member? I shadowed the other DPM at the beginning of summer, and I don't think it would be too late to request a different letter from him, if it's needed.

Thanks guys.

You're good.

I would think that the LOR from your cousin will be just fine.

Majoring in Biochemistry

1. Schools I want to apply to
All of them

2. 3.55cGPA / 3.37sGPA

3. MCAT Score
21 (8PS/7BS/6VR), will retake in January.

4. Podiatry Experience
10 hours of shadowing. I need to get more and plan to do so during winter break (also planning to study for my MCAT retake and apply for summer research programs during this time).

Some MD and DO shadowing.

6. Volunteering
Nearly 50 hours of volunteering at the student health center at my university.

7. Miscellaneous
-Pianist with 14 years worth of classical training – organized, sold tickets for, and performed in a concert as a freshman
-Tae Kwon Do for 11 years – currently holds Junior Black Belt rank
-Ran several half marathons for charity and plan to run another this October.
-Dean's List
-Recognized by my university as the 'best' sophomore in chemistry.

I just wanted to add that my GPA is only going to go up and that I am an URM (hispanic).

I saw on the Temple website that they give scholarships to those with at least a 3.0 and a 20 on the MCAT. If this is the case, why would they ask me to retake a 21 MCAT?

I just wanted to add that my GPA is only going to go up and that I am an URM (hispanic).

I saw on the Temple website that they give scholarships to those with at least a 3.0 and a 20 on the MCAT. If this is the case, why would they ask me to retake a 21 MCAT?
I don't think URM matters for podiatry... they asked you to re-take MCAT or you are speculating why they would even do that?

I don't think URM matters for podiatry... they asked you to re-take MCAT or you are speculating why they would even do that?

I'm kind of speculating at this point because one poster had previously mentioned that the worst case scenario would be that they ask me to retake it.

Last edited:
I'm kind of speculating at this point because one poster had previously mentioned that the worst case scenario would be that they ask me to retake it.

Why would you ask what your chances are if you already know that you will get in with a scholarship with a 3.0 and a 20 MCAT? You're good. Have a fun interview.

Why would you ask what your chances are if you already know that you will get in with a scholarship with a 3.0 and a 20 MCAT? You're good. Have a fun interview.

I was just unsure, that's all. :p

cGPA- 3.66; sGPA- 3.43
MCAT- 30

ECs- a few leadership positions here and there in college. ~150 patient contact hours.

I shadowed a podiatrist for eight hours over the summer, but I didn't ask for a letter.

If I was to apply in January to two schools (NYCPM and AZPod), would you say I'm pretty close to a lock?

cGPA- 3.66; sGPA- 3.43
MCAT- 30

ECs- a few leadership positions here and there in college. ~150 patient contact hours.

I shadowed a podiatrist for eight hours over the summer, but I didn't ask for a letter.

If I was to apply in January to two schools (NYCPM and AZPod), would you say I'm pretty close to a lock?
Pretty much...as long as you present yourself not like a clown or murderer...

This is basically the same thing I posted a while back but most of the current applicants on here probably didn't see it so in a (most likely still futile) attempt to provide clarity/ease fears, here are some personal observations now that I'm in my 3rd year of school and have done some work in the admissions office.

Disclaimer: Opinions are my own and not endorsed by KSUCPM in any way.

-If you have a GPA, especially sGPA, above 3.0, you are good
-if you have an MCAT above 25 you are good
-if you have one of the above, but not the other, take your GPA times 10 and add it to your MCAT. If that number is above 52 and your sGPA is above 2.7 and your MCAT is above 22, you are probably good to be interviewed just make sure you kill that interview.
-If you have neither 3.0 nor 25, the 52 rule is still probably a decent predictor, still.

Cold Hard Facts (ESPN/Coors lawsuit probably pending):

-If your sGPA is below 2.7, it will be EXTREMELY hard for you to handle the curriculum at ANY school of ANY kind of medicine. Not impossible, but you will have to work your tail off in a way you never have before.
-A good GPA will make up for a poor MCAT better than a good MCAT will make up for a poor GPA.
-Don't take the DAT unless you're actually applying to dental schools as well. I don't know why this is an issue sometimes, but it is.
-If your MCAT is below 22, you will probably have trouble passing boards. Also, cannot speak for other schools but MCAT 22 is the stated minimum for Kent (can't confirm or deny exceptions you may know/have heard from friends of friends of friends/saw on a message board/came to you in a dream that like just felt so real, man).
-If you have done a ton of research/EC's in undergrad, that is great and admissions people love to see it and you should do them BUT, GPA and MCAT are decent enough predictors of med school success and if you're scoring low on MCAT's and getting more C's than anything else, you need to really be honest with yourself and think if you're going to be able to handle a 20+ credit hour/semester all science curriculum.

That said, good luck to everyone applying for c/o 2018! Saying 2018 makes me feel old...

This is basically the same thing I posted a while back but most of the current applicants on here probably didn't see it so in a (most likely still futile) attempt to provide clarity/ease fears, here are some personal observations now that I'm in my 3rd year of school and have done some work in the admissions office.

Disclaimer: Opinions are my own and not endorsed by KSUCPM in any way.

-If you have a GPA, especially sGPA, above 3.0, you are good
-if you have an MCAT above 25 you are good
-if you have one of the above, but not the other, take your GPA times 10 and add it to your MCAT. If that number is above 52 and your sGPA is above 2.7 and your MCAT is above 22, you are probably good to be interviewed just make sure you kill that interview.
-If you have neither 3.0 nor 25, the 52 rule is still probably a decent predictor, still.

Cold Hard Facts (ESPN/Coors lawsuit probably pending):

-If your sGPA is below 2.7, it will be EXTREMELY hard for you to handle the curriculum at ANY school of ANY kind of medicine. Not impossible, but you will have to work your tail off in a way you never have before.
-A good GPA will make up for a poor MCAT better than a good MCAT will make up for a poor GPA.
-Don't take the DAT unless you're actually applying to dental schools as well. I don't know why this is an issue sometimes, but it is.
-If your MCAT is below 22, you will probably have trouble passing boards. Also, cannot speak for other schools but MCAT 22 is the stated minimum for Kent (can't confirm or deny exceptions you may know/have heard from friends of friends of friends/saw on a message board/came to you in a dream that like just felt so real, man).
-If you have done a ton of research/EC's in undergrad, that is great and admissions people love to see it and you should do them BUT, GPA and MCAT are decent enough predictors of med school success and if you're scoring low on MCAT's and getting more C's than anything else, you need to really be honest with yourself and think if you're going to be able to handle a 20+ credit hour/semester all science curriculum.

That said, good luck to everyone applying for c/o 2018! Saying 2018 makes me feel old...

I got an interview for Kent. 3.1 cgpa and 2.9 sgpa 19 MCAT so it's possible.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

To KSUCPM2015: What's your take on a 3.55 cGPA/3.37sGPA and a 21 MCAT (with the GPA expected to only go up)?

1. Arizona, DMU, Kent, Scholl, Temple

2. 3.3cGPA/ 2.97sGPA

3. MCAT 25 (VR9/PS8/BS8)

4. Shadowed 3 podiatrists for total ~50 hours. Includes some surgery

5. Shadowed lots of other types of doctors

6. 150 hours in ER

Last edited:
1. Arizona, DMU, Kent, Scholl, Temple

2. 3.3cGPA/ 2.97sGPA

3. MCAT 25 VR9 PS8 BS8

4. Shadowed 3 podiatrists for total ~50 hours. Includes some surgery

5. Shadowed lots of other types of doctors

6. 150 hours in ER

We are essentially identical, and so far I have gotten interview offers from NYCPM and Temple

To KSUCPM2015: What's your take on a 3.55 cGPA/3.37sGPA and a 21 MCAT (with the GPA expected to only go up)?
I really can't imagine you not getting an interview unless that 21 is like 13 verbal and 4 for BS and PS.

I got an interview for Kent. 3.1 cgpa and 2.9 sgpa 19 MCAT so it's possible.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4
Yeah, for sure, exceptions are made and early in the cycle there will be more. Your GPA is right around what mine was.

Has anyone here gotten in with a <3.0 GPA? (not as a URM student though)

I have a 29 MCAT score, would I be able to get in anywhere?

How far below 3.0 did you go? Yes, it's very possible; also, URM does not matter for pod.

Hah I guess that would have been worth mentioning. ~2.9 and science is a bit lower

I had 2.89 with 29 MCAT also. I was straight up denied at Arizona and Temple. Accepted everywhere else. Currently top 25% of my class.

I had 2.89 with 29 MCAT also. I was straight up denied at Arizona and Temple. Accepted everywhere else. Currently top 25% of my class.

2.9 S+cGPA (about 15 hours of easy postbacc work at community college, without that it was more like 2.79) 31Q MCAT
I was waitlisted at DMU and never got a call back (I sort of messed up the interview, when asked about my grades did a mea culpa of how did not put full effort forward in undergrad but my recent acheivements show I am different. That must not have smoothed them over). Outright denied at AZPOD (closed file interview, I thought the interview went well, but oh well)

All the others I got into, scholarships offered at Western and Temple.

Bottom line unless the class of 2018 really upped the stats a whole lot this year compared to last you will get in somewhere.
At Temple now, have got all As on the first rounds of tests

2.9 S+cGPA (about 15 hours of easy postbacc work at community college, without that it was more like 2.79) 31Q MCAT
I was waitlisted at DMU and never got a call back (I sort of messed up the interview, when asked about my grades did a mea culpa of how did not put full effort forward in undergrad but my recent acheivements show I am different. That must not have smoothed them over). Outright denied at AZPOD (closed file interview, I thought the interview went well, but oh well)

Bottom line unless the class of 2018 really upped the stats a whole lot this year compared to last you will get in somewhere.

You got a scholarship at Western? That's pretty impressive, I was under the impression that they basically had 0 scholarship funds since they are so new.

So every school you guys applied to interviewed you but only those couple actually denied?

So every school you guys applied to interviewed you but only those couple actually denied?

I got automatic rejection letters from those schools, I don't think a real person ever saw my application.

I got automatic rejection letters from those schools, I don't think a real person ever saw my application.

Do you think there is an automatic cutoff at 2.9 or were there other reasons you didn't get in?

The other student in this thread, rushrhees, had a marginally higher GPA and a little better MCAT and got a scholarship to Temple while you got denied immediately?

Do you think there is an automatic cutoff at 2.9 or were there other reasons you didn't get in?

The other student in this thread, rushrhees, had a marginally higher GPA and a little better MCAT and got a scholarship to Temple while you got denied immediately?

Do they screen for a 3.0 cGPA or sGPA?