What are my chances/what should I do to make a better app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studoc28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tis a silly question. Your chances are solid. I would just suggest to get a little more volunteer hours and do your best on the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't try that... they accept like, 3 OOS every year. Your resume won't really matter- their preference is so strong that your DAT will have to be nearly perfect for them to let you in. Just a forewarning

I know I would be a late applicant, but if I took the DAT within the next 3 weeks. How would my chances be- applying as an entering junior? I will work up my shadowing hours to hopefully 150 and volunteer to 50-70ish.

Of course, I will not know my DAT score until I take the test- but with my EC's and GPA, what do you believe would be a good score to make me a good applicant?

I dont get why you would be applying this cycle if your entering your junior year. And why you would rush to take the dat in 3 weeks is beyond me. Maybe I'm missing something but dont you have to be going to your senior year in order to apply, because you would be in dental school a year later..

Not good, very few students get in dental school without bachelors at the time of matriculation. Even those who get in don't get into as good school as they would have, had they waited a year.

You can apply to a lot of schools as long as you have 90 hours when you matriculate. I know that it is very difficult so I was wondering if it's worth it or not. It would save me a year of school in undergrad, and allow me to begin making my salary a year earlier.
It'd be really hard to say without your DAT. If you do well (22-23+), then sure, go for it. But if not, then wait. Here's what you'd need for Pittsburgh for consideration for early admission http://dental.pitt.edu/admission-requirements . That's probably a good guideline.

Reactions: 1 user
If I take the DAT by August 25th then if I get a 22+ would it be smart to apply? I would probably finish the app by end of August/first week in September?
You can try? It seems like you really want to apply this cycle, so just do it. Good luck!

If I take the DAT by August 25th then if I get a 22+ would it be smart to apply? I would probably finish the app by end of August/first week in September?
It won't hurt anything to apply. The question is, can you afford to apply immediately and can you afford to apply again next round if you don't get in this time? And by afford I mean literally, do you have enough money?

Last edited:
You can apply to a lot of schools as long as you have 90 hours when you matriculate. I know that it is very difficult so I was wondering if it's worth it or not. It would save me a year of school in undergrad, and allow me to begin making my salary a year earlier.

Have you looked at the stats for people who get accepted/matriculate without a degree by the time D1 starts? I honestly have not, I'm just curious. Also, how did the DAT go?

Also I was in TriBeta at UT! Keep up with it and be active!