What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsm09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys what do you think my chances are getting into optometry school, my gpa is a bit unbalanced, since i did poorly in my first 1.5 years and then did well the last 1.5 years. My cumulative GPA is 3.24, but my last 45 credits is 3.77. I havent taken the OAT yet, planning to take end of this month, but on the practice Kaplan exams ive been getting around 340-350

My Practice Test score:

Biology: 360
Gen. Chem: 320
Org. Chem: 340
Physics: 320
Reading Comp.: 370
QR: 390
Overall: 350

I plan to apply early try to send my app in early August.

For my extracurriculars I have shadowed two docs, one is private practice and one is a group practice. I also volunteered at both. I volunteered at the private practice or about 3-4 months once a week, helping out with filing, inventory count on glasses, some dispensing and helped run a visual fields test. At the group practice i have been volunteering for the last 8 months, where i pre test patients and help out in the office, combined i prbly have about 100 hrs or so. At my university im part of the pre-optometry club and Oxfam club which deals with poverty and injustice in 3rd world countries. I have executive positions in both clubs. I also play a musical instrument as a hobby.

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools are you looking to apply to? And what is your overall science GPA?

If your science GPA is a 3.24, then those stats are competitive for most schools so it really comes down to where you are hoping to attend. I don't believe your scores would be competitive enough for SUNY or NECO for example.

For other schools though, the fact that your science gpa is higher in your later years of undergrad shows that you are capable of improving along an upward incline. If you get an interview, I imagine they will ask you why your science GPA is lower the first 1.5. If you have a good response to this, you'll be fine.

Which schools are you looking to apply to? And what is your overall science GPA?

If your science GPA is a 3.24, then those stats are competitive for most schools so it really comes down to where you are hoping to attend. I don't believe your scores would be competitive enough for SUNY or NECO for example.

For other schools though, the fact that your science gpa is higher in your later years of undergrad shows that you are capable of improving along an upward incline. If you get an interview, I imagine they will ask you why your science GPA is lower the first 1.5. If you have a good response to this, you'll be fine.
Thanks irisiris for your response, my top two choices are puco and ico, but i will also apply to neco and pco. I havent calculated my science gpa but it will be around 3.24 or slightly higher.