What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SachmoJones

Osteopathic Medical Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, starting off I believe I got an extremely difficult MCAT when I took it. I scored a 24 (V6P7B11), which is by far the lowest of all of my testing scores. I plan to take it again before next cycle and will in theory will be more prepared and will score closer to my normal range (29-30). cGPA 3.97, sGPA 3.9. I am a member of two different honors societies, one of which is a leadership society and I have done ~140 hours of volunteer/shadowing a doctor in an underserved area. I also tutor students at my college and have completed over 400 hours of tutoring to date. I am a Virginia resident.

What do you guys think?

Also how would retaking a couple of courses to get 4.0 in both GPAs affect my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone have any opinions on this at all? I have talked to the Dean of the undergrad program and he gave me some advice for preparing for the next test so in theory I will be better prepared this time around.

Okay, starting off I believe I got an extremely difficult MCAT when I took it. I scored a 24 (V6P7B11), which is by far the lowest of all of my testing scores. I plan to take it again before next cycle and will in theory will be more prepared and will score closer to my normal range (29-30). cGPA 3.97, sGPA 3.9. I am a member of two different honors societies, one of which is a leadership society and I have done ~140 hours of volunteer/shadowing a doctor in an underserved area. I also tutor students at my college and have completed over 400 hours of tutoring to date. I am a Virginia resident.

What do you guys think?

Also how would retaking a couple of courses to get 4.0 in both GPAs affect my application?

As you've already noted, the biggest red flag in your application is the MCAT, so getting up to your normal range would be first priority. I would also try and round your extracurriculars as bit if possible. Have you been done research? General, non-clinical volunteer experience? While you have a good number of hours accrued for the two activities you've listed, you may want to expand that.

I also don't think retaking classes would help anything. Your GPA is already high enough that one or two classes won't make it budge much. Not to mention, a GPA that high without an MCAT score to back it up may raise some eyebrows as to the rigor and level of the classes

Members don't see this ad :)
Work on your MCAT. Nobody cares about 3.97 vs 4.0

As you've already noted, the biggest red flag in your application is the MCAT, so getting up to your normal range would be first priority. I would also try and round your extracurriculars as bit if possible. Have you been done research? General, non-clinical volunteer experience? While you have a good number of hours accrued for the two activities you've listed, you may want to expand that.

I also don't think retaking classes would help anything. Your GPA is already high enough that one or two classes won't make it budge much. Not to mention, a GPA that high without an MCAT score to back it up may raise some eyebrows as to the rigor and level of the classes

I am currently working on some research and I have done plenty of volunteer hours with my church and church youth group. I was also going to look into a summer research position at a National Lab this year.

i am student of Bsc(hons) cardiac perfusion technology in pakistan..i want my further studies to be done in italy..kindly guide me..which cources will b most suitable for me..can i jump to M.D?

I am currently working on some research and I have done plenty of volunteer hours with my church and church youth group. I was also going to look into a summer research position at a National Lab this year.
Your gpa can not be improved. Your EC's are slightly below average. Your MCAT is very weak.

High yield is MCAT improvement. You could have a PhD at this point and not get in with your current score.

Your gpa can not be improved. Your EC's are slightly below average. Your MCAT is very weak.

High yield is MCAT improvement. You could have a PhD at this point and not get in with your current score.
Given my area, there is not a whole lot I could do for my EC but I am currently working on MCAT material.

Given my area, there is not a whole lot I could do for my EC but I am currently working on MCAT material.
For what it's worth, I don't think your EC are all that bad. With the research you're doing/going to do and if you continue volunteer work another 100 hours you will be in desired range for an applicant. Definitely work hard on that MCAT. Even with a 28 I'd say you'd have a shot at MD.