DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KristenD77

Predent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, aren't math classes counted in the sGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for one right now but if I do, how do you think my chances are

Hard to tell without an MCAT score. Your GPA looks solid. An MCAT score of 26+ would get you a handful of interviews if you apply broadly. 28+ would get an interview from nearly every school you apply to.

Are you applying this cycle?

Hard to tell without an MCAT score. Your GPA looks solid. An MCAT score of 26+ would get you a handful of interviews if you apply broadly. 28+ would get an interview from nearly every school you apply to.

Are you applying this cycle?
Thanks, if I can find a DO to shadow on time and get a good score on my MCAT I am

Last edited:
You're really lacking in community volunteering tbh. So really you're going to want to find a DO or two that can write you a strong LOR and you're going to want a decent mcat.

You're really lacking in community volunteering tbh. So really you're going to want to find a DO or two that can write you a strong LOR and you're going to want a decent mcat.
yea I was worried about it ...thank you for being honest=/

yea I was worried about it ...thank you for being honest=/
This isn't what you wanna hear but I almost wanna say take the MCAT (so you take it before it changes) and apply next cycle because right now you're missing shadowing, community service and leadership. Your volunteer exp's right now are limited and not over the course of a long time which doesn't prove youre committed (ie: bone marrow thing being 1 day). Also, with your current delays...you won't be able to apply till later in the cycle which would lower your chances relative to applying next cycle in which you can apply the first day.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't what you wanna hear but I almost wanna say take the MCAT (so you take it before it changes) and apply next cycle because right now you're missing shadowing and community service and leadership. Your volunteer exp's right now are limited and not over the course of a long time which doesn't prove youre committed (ie: bone marrow thing being 1 day). Also, with your current delays...you won't be able to apply till later in the cycle which would lower your chances relative to applying next cycle in which you can apply the first day.
I think you're probably right.

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't what you wanna hear but I almost wanna say take the MCAT (so you take it before it changes) and apply next cycle because right now you're missing shadowing and community service and leadership. Your volunteer exp's right now are limited and not over the course of a long time which doesn't prove youre committed (ie: bone marrow thing being 1 day). Also, with your current delays...you won't be able to apply till later in the cycle which would lower your chances relative to applying next cycle in which you can apply the first day.

Most people aren't going to have leadership experience and it's obvious that she works and as such is already layering it in. So, I think pending a decent mcat + a strong D.O lor she should be in a decent position at most DO schools. It would be different obviously if it were a 3rd year undergrad with no work experience, but for others it's probably acceptable and schools will understand.

Did you present any of your research btw?

Most people aren't going to have leadership experience and it's obvious that she works and as such is already layering it in. So, I think pending a decent mcat + a strong D.O lor she should be in a decent position at most DO schools. It would be different obviously if it were a 3rd year undergrad with no work experience, but for others it's probably acceptable and schools will understand.

thank you and yes I did at an undergraduate research conference

I'll echo what others said and say shadow a PHYSICIAN. Shadowing a PA and NP isn't sufficient. I also agree that you need some more leadership stuff and your clinical experience is lacking. A B+ in Orgo is fine. No one can accurately tell you your chances until you take the MCAT. A 28 or higher and you have a good shot, so long as you shadow a doctor and try to get more clinical/volunteer experiences. A 23 or lower and you'll likely need another year.

I'll echo what others said and say shadow a PHYSICIAN. Shadowing a PA and NP isn't sufficient. I also agree that you need some more leadership stuff and your clinical experience is lacking. A B+ in Orgo is fine. No one can accurately tell you your chances until you take the MCAT. A 28 or higher and you have a good shot, so long as you shadow a doctor and try to get more clinical/volunteer experiences. A 23 or lower and you'll likely need another year.
I definitely agree that shadowing a PA and NP isn't sufficient and agree that I need more volunteer experience but I thought two years of being a dental assistant was great clinical experience. That's just my opinion and I appreciate your opinion also

I definitely agree that shadowing a PA and NP isn't sufficient and agree that I need more volunteer but I thought two years of being a dental assistant was great clinical experience

It is great, but it's better to get some experience dealing with medical patients instead of dental patients. There's a purpose to clinical exposure. It's because they don't want students to get to 3rd and 4th year and discover they hate sick people. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you saw patients who were sick as a dental assistant, but they had mouth/oral disease. There's a difference.

Blanket statement and not a good assumption.
I was merely giving an option to maximize his chances. Rather than blow several thousand on applications/secondaries/traveling with reduced chance of acceptance, he'd have a much much greater chance if he delayed applying. His EC's are not very good as of now and as I echoed before it won't look good that he only has a few volunteer activities and which 2/3's were one day things. I'm a gambling man and I'd say he'd be taking bit of a gamble applying now.

Last edited:
It is great, but it's better to get some experience dealing with medical patients instead of dental patients. There's a purpose to clinical exposure. It's because they don't want students to get to 3rd and 4th year and discover they hate sick people. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you saw patients who were sick as a dental assistant, but they had mouth/oral disease. There's a difference.
Yes, that is true. It's really hard to get clinical experience without any certifications though and I don't want to spend any more money on that... any suggestions?

Yes, that is true. It's really hard to get clinical experience without any certifications though and I don't want to spend any more money on that... any suggestions?

Continue to volunteer or shadow a lot. Either would get you in the door to see patients.

Blanket statement and not a good assumption.
I was merely giving an option to maximize his chances. Rather than blow several thousand on applications/secondaries/traveling with reduced chance of acceptance, he'd have a much much greater chance if he delayed applying. His EC's are not very good as of now and as I echoed before it won't look good that he only has a few volunteer activities and which 2/3's were one day things. I'm a gambling man and I'd say he'd be taking bit of a gamble applying now.

I actually think it's a frequently true one. Very few of the people I know who applied had been officers in clubs or frat/soro. There's are usually just too many people for too few positions.

And despite the huge emphasis on ECs on SDN. The biggest ones are clinical volunteering and shadowing. IF the op can get 50 hours of shadowing and a solid LOR. IF the op can continue to work in the ER. IF the op can hit a 27 or 28 on the mcat. Then there is no reason to not apply.

Just wondering what you guys think my chances are of either DO or MD acceptance. Thinking DMU is my top choice...

GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 28
Shadowing: 25 with MD. 25 DO. 10 from Podiatrist
Volunteering: ~100 Hours in ER/OR; Spent a week in Costa Rica on a service trip; 20-25 Hours of local disaster relief; 80 Hours CNA training; 20 Hours of Hospice Volunteer work
Thanks guys! :chicken:

I actually think it's a frequently true one. Very few of the people I know who applied had been officers in clubs or frat/soro. There's are usually just too many people for too few positions.

And despite the huge emphasis on ECs on SDN. The biggest ones are clinical volunteering and shadowing. IF the op can get 50 hours of shadowing and a solid LOR. IF the op can continue to work in the ER. IF the op can hit a 27 or 28 on the mcat. Then there is no reason to not apply.

Very few people who you know. Key word: you. Virtually every applicant I know has had or holds a leadership position. So in a sense, I conclude as I am writing this sentence neither of us know who's right lol. I will say however, Frats/soro's both have dozens of leadership positions within them, most of these then also has committees you can sit on and lead. There are also co-chairs. There are student gov't positions (SGA, senate, diversity, LAC, etc) /student boards as well, etc.

You make good points in the latter however he'd be crunching hard to do all that with no guarantee of success of completing all that. Some of those variables lie outside of his control (ie: strong DO LOR). His plans would have to go perfectly and even then he'd still be applying late. Even if he overcomes that obstacle, that late in the cycle, there is no any guarantee he'll get in . I think he'd have a sure shot if he applied next cycle.

Last edited:
Just wondering what you guys think my chances are of either DO or MD acceptance. Thinking DMU is my top choice...

GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 28
Shadowing: 25 with MD. 25 DO. 10 from Podiatrist
Volunteering: ~100 Hours in ER/OR; Spent a week in Costa Rica on a service trip; 20-25 Hours of local disaster relief; 80 Hours CNA training; 20 Hours of Hospice Volunteer work
Thanks guys! :chicken:

You're solid, though you like the OP may want to get into some community service. Like work in a soup kitchen or food warehouse once a week or something, idk.