What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

typoncho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying all Texas schools. I really want MD, but I know this MCAT score is not competitive.
GPA: 3.87, Science: 3.84, MCAT: 26 (PS:8, V:8, BS:10)
Considering retaking the MCAT, but not sure how much I could improve. Sounds strange, but I worked really hard for the 26 that I got.

-Eagle Scout
-Marine infantry for four years 2005-2009
-Paramedic (Worked in Baghdad for State Dept for 1 year, then in ambulance for 1 year)
-ORM

Thanks for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Other than Baylor and UT, you've got a good chance to get in somewhere even with your MCAT. Just make sure you've done some shadowing.

I have done a bit of shadowing, but everyone told me to worry more about gap and mcat since I have experience. I shouldn't have listened.

Members don't see this ad :)
-Eagle Scout
-Marine infantry for four years 2005-2009
-Paramedic (Worked in Baghdad for State Dept for 1 year, then in ambulance for 1 year)

I am pretty sure these experiences will sufficiently increase your chances in Texas.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, I sure hope so. Do you mean I probably won't get any UT school, or specifically UTSW?

Thanks, I sure hope so. Do you mean I probably won't get any UT school, or specifically UTSW?

Sorry, should've been clearer. I think UTSW might be a bit of a stretch, and UTH isn't too safe either, but you may have a shot. I think you are totally fine for the other UTs.

That makes me feel a lot better. I was expecting around a 28 or 29 MCAT, so was really surprised to see a 26.

Applied to all of them! Just want to somewhat ease my mind. Been going full throttle to try and get into med school. Semper fi!

Assuming most schools don't toss my app after seeing my MCAT, does the Eagle Scout EC help all that much? What about medic or veteran status?

Yes I have been. I'm sure if i'm lucky enough to get interviews, one of the questions will deal with that.

Wanted to update everyone who posted here and gave me advice and for any down in the dumps pre-meds looking for hope . Thank you all. I was accepted to TAMHSC COM through the TMDSAS match. I interviewed there and at TCOM who rejected me. It was a rough cycle, and I ended up beginning prep in October for another MCAT test since I only had one interview and was expecting to reapply this year. I took that on January 13 and increased my score 7 points, and interviewed at A&M two days later. I was then accepted Feb. 2 prior to A&M seeing my new score. Thanks again.

Reactions: 3 users
Wanted to update everyone who posted here and gave me advice and for any down in the dumps pre-meds looking for hope . Thank you all. I was accepted to TAMHSC COM through the TMDSAS match. I interviewed there and at TCOM who rejected me. It was a rough cycle, and I ended up beginning prep in October for another MCAT test since I only had one interview and was expecting to reapply this year. I took that on January 13 and increased my score 7 points, and interviewed at A&M two days later. I was then accepted Feb. 2 prior to A&M seeing my new score. Thanks again.
Congrats! Did I read that correctly? Your new score is a 33? Best of luck at A&M!

Thanks. And yep, I focused on my weaknesses and had a solid game plan instead of rushing. Went from (8,8,10) to a (11,12,10).