MD What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penny.lane.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some feedback for my chances for MD programs. I'm a non-trad. applicant (currently working as a Registered Dietitian), and started the process a bit later than most on here. I was planning to enter a PhD program this Fall, but deferred it in favor of pursuing medical school instead. Anyway, here are my stats:
  • Undergraduate major: Nutrition and Dietetics: cGPA 3.96 sGPA 4.0
  • Masters Degree in Clinical Nutriton: GPA 4.0
  • Registered Dietitian (RD) since October 2013
  • 1500 hours clinical supervision/practice in various medical settings (icu, renal, geriatrics, rehab, peds, ob/gyn, endocrinology)
  • Volunteered 100+ hours at med student run free clinical as a dietetic intern
  • Currently working in an outpatient behavioral health hospital (40 hrs week)
  • Published twice, various publications nutrition/non nutrition related.
  • Minimal (yet still some) shadowing experience- during clinical rotations
  • 150-200 hours research (graduate school)experience

MCAT = 40
VR 12
PS 13
BS 15

Caveats:
- Pretty late in the application process - I am still not verified!
- Little research experience... I am in the process of finding and getting into research this year. My hope is by interview time (fingers crossed) I will be able to say that I am currently particpating in __ research, rather than just hoping to.
- Lastly, I only have one physics and lab. As I mentioned, I was not a pre med major, and that was not a requirement for nut triton. I have asked and read and it seems as though some schools do have a physics requirement (2 classes/labs). Others require only that the applicant demonstrate knowledge that would be comparable to that of taking another lecture/lab.

What are my chance - given the entire picture - of getting into a top tier program? I am limiting myself and only applying to seven schools. I have to be honest, I have my heart set on one and am prepared to even take a gap year to improve my candidacy.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned, I'm concerned about my lack of research and am actively trying to get into a lab to log some more hours. I am also tentatively planning on enrolling in and conpleting the "necessary" physics class/lab before next fall. Unfortunately, with working fulltime doing both is incredibly difficult. Assuming I can do only one (keeping in mind I'm going to do my best to do both), which would be more advantageous at improving my overall application? TIA.

Regarding timing, I *should* be verified next week. I've already submitted my all secondary requests and have pre-written most of them.

Having 2 semesters of physics + Lab is a requirement at most schools. Generally this means that if you get accepted without it, you must have it done before next summer or they'll give your seat to someone else.

Research is not required anywhere. It is highly recommended at research focused schools (US News top 25 or 50), but considering your stats and background you should be fine with what you currently have now.

I'll agree with gyngyn. 7 schools is too few especially this late in the application cycle. Why are you only applying to 7? It sounds like you're considering only applying to a few top schools because of your stats.

Reactions: 1 user