MD & DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glomerulus365

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.56 cgpa, 3.41sgpa 38 MCAT.
I am delaying my application until 2015 because I want to bring my GPA. Though the highest science can get is prob 3.48 :( Started out strong freshman and sophomore year. I had a family emergency junior year and worked full time to support. My grades slipped but my MCAT is ok. I have a "V" trend. Strong grades, low grades, and back to straight A's. Do you think I have a chance at any schools? I really do not want to go Caribbean but if that's the only way for me to study medicine than I will consider it.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to work on the self-esteem, glom. You're quite competitive. Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median numbers are closest to your own. Start with your state school, if any.

3.56 cgpa, 3.41sgpa 38 MCAT.
I am delaying my application until 2015 because I want to bring my GPA. Though the highest science can get is prob 3.48 :( Started out strong freshman and sophomore year. I had a family emergency junior year and worked full time to support. My grades slipped but my MCAT is ok. I have a "V" trend. Strong grades, low grades, and back to straight A's. Do you think I have a chance at any schools? I really do not want to go Caribbean but if that's the only way for me to study medicine than I will consider it.

Your MCAT is more than ok, it is excellent ! Your MCAT is approximately in the 98th percentile for applicants to MD schools. If you can get your GPA over 3.6 by next spring you should be in a good position when applying. Apply in June and target all your state schools and at least 10 mid and lower tier schools. in addition, apply to as many reach schools as you wish.

Thank you both for the input. @Goro haha I will work on it, but I am a little nervous because I will be applying June 2015 and some state schools will prefer the new MCAT. Since my GPA is not as strong and I have the old MCAT it doesn't make me seem as competitive as I would be in a pool of applicants with the same MCAT.