What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blah12346497

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert (hopefully Goro or another admissions committee member can come in and offer better advice), but I get the feeling that a 6 on verbal could potentially be lethal. What were you averaging in VR on your practice tests? If you feel as though you could do better, why not give the MCAT another shot? (I would especially recommend a retake if you feel as though nerves or some factor outside of preparation was what brought your score down.) Again, this is just my non-expert opinion, so let's see what others think.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPAs are fine for all DO schools, and a 25 MCAT is acceptable for some DO schools.

What did you score on your practice AAMCs, and what score were you aiming for?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate the responses from you guys. I was scoring a 28 average with a 7 in verbal. I feel like I did my best though on that exam especially on the verbal section. Turns out I bombed it. I was aiming for a 30 since I tend to do better on tests under pressure. If anything I guess I should prep for 2015 MCAT and plan to take it in April - July? I am at an all time low right now from seeing my score.

Do you think you could get that verbal score up at all with more practice? Perhaps you overemphasized the PS/BS sections and didn't do enough VR practice. If you think that's the case, then I would retake in your position. Based on your average of 28 with a 7 in verbal on practice exams, if you get the same BS and PS scores as your averages but bring verbal up to a 9, you've got a 30, which is a great score for DO, and I don't think that bringing your VR up to a 9 should be too difficult.

All the seats are taken for the 2014 MCAT unfortunately. I am also so burnt out, I do not think I can handle another stressful study marathon :(

I already have two acceptances one DO and one MD. I am expecting more

You just gave me a surge of hope..

Last edited:
You should be OK, especially with the newest schools. Skip CCOM, the NY and CA Touros, AZCOM and Western. You can do better than LUCOM as well.

I worked so hard and found out I only got a 25 MCAT today :(.. (6V / 9 PS / 10 B). I have a 3.4 GPA with a 3.29 sGPA and a very strong upward trend. Currently EMT certified, volunteer work at the hospital, and also went on a third world mission trip for volunteer work. I have a D.O letter as of now and am working on 2 science professor LORs. I really do not want to retake the MCAT. What are my shots at D.O next cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
Goro has spoken. I apologize for potentially misleading you. For some reason I thought the verbal score might be more of a hindrance than it actually turned out to be. Best of luck, OP!

Have trust in yourself. I also posted something like this when I got my mcat. :) good luck.

I worked so hard and found out I only got a 25 MCAT today :(.. (6V / 9 PS / 10 B). I have a 3.4 GPA with a 3.29 sGPA and a very strong upward trend. Currently EMT certified, volunteer work at the hospital, and also went on a third world mission trip for volunteer work. I have a D.O letter as of now and am working on 2 science professor LORs. I really do not want to retake the MCAT. What are my shots at D.O next cycle?

Hi OP. I know it's hard seeing that 6VR, I got it too, but am fortunate enough to have gotten multiple interviews and an acceptance. As it has been said here, have faith in yourself and apply confidently. Be sure to have a well thought out theme within your story and it will compel AdComs! I wish you the very best of luck! :)

You're a bit of an underdog at CCOM, but if there's a tale to go with the numbers that matches their mission, it's worth it to add them to all of your other schools. No guarantees, though.

There are a lot of things wrong with LUCOM. They are founded by the Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia, and headed by Jerry Falwell's son. Their curriculum rejects the scientific consensus on the theory of evolution. Many of their official positions on issues like LGBT rights and abortion would be described by many Americans as "hateful".

I just got accepted! This feeling is incredible. Thank you to everyone on this thread for your support. It meant a lot. Im still shaking.

Reactions: 2 users