What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwanttogotomedschool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school Junior, BS in Molecular and Cellular Biology, BS in Economics, Minor in Chemistry

Schools to which you are applying Loyola, UIC, Rush, Indiana, Michigan, Kansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Texas (any other school suggestions in the midwest?)

Cumulative GPA 3.5

Science GPA 3.3 (Both of these are on an upward trend. I messed up my freshman year, about a 3.0, and I have been slowly improving since then.)

MCAT Scores: Taking the 2015 but my two practice exams gave me a 507....errr idk compared to others.

Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc) - 1.5 year in a renal and cardiovascular lab. Our lab primarily conducts research regarding the effects that exercise and dietary modifications have on the development or progression of cardiovascular disease and other related metabolic disorders in chronic kidney disease patients. I work more clinical implementing excercise and protein consumption at the dialysis clinic.

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites - Local Hospital about 500 hours. Worked on patient floors and Emergency room

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties - Thoracic Radiologist about 20 hours. (Trying to get some shadowing during the school year).

Non-clinical volunteering: - Club my room mates and I founded, Be the Match on Campus. Put in about 2 hours a week.

Extracurricular activities - Logistics chair of social fraternity, Part of a leadership group that is involved helping alumni donate to the University along with represent the college on any accreditation, ceremonies etc. , I am a tutor for the University, a member of my club Be the Match on Campus, a general member of ISA, and I am part of an ad-hoc committee trying to create a med school at my university that is distinct from the other med school in our school system.

Employment history Camp Counselor for 4 years and a University tutor for about 1. (Camp counselor helped interest me into pediatrics since I was a counselor for 5-8 year olds)

Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars. - I spend about 15-20 hours a week with my job and EC

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) No

Specialty of interest Don't have one, somewhat interested in radiology and pediatrics

Shadowing experience - Shadowed a thoracic radiologist

Graduate degrees no: (would a quick 1 year masters program be helpful?)

Interest in rural health (y/n)..maybe. I am interested in opening up a family practice type of deal and it makes sense to do it in rural areas. But idk how different life would be away from the big city.

Members don't see this ad.

Going by the AAMC estimated percentiles, a 507 will be approximately equal to a 30 now. I'd say with your GPA you'd need a 34 at least to have a good shot which is around a 512-514.

Members don't see this ad :)
Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Forget TX schools, they're mandated to accpet 90% of thier classes from IS. Your stats aren't competitive for Baylor.

Your GPAs are < avg, so stick with private schools, except VCU. Definitely apply to your state school, and maybe those surrounding.

Year in school Junior, BS in Molecular and Cellular Biology, BS in Economics, Minor in Chemistry

Schools to which you are applying Loyola, UIC, Rush, Indiana, Michigan, Kansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Texas (any other school suggestions in the midwest?)

Cumulative GPA 3.5

Science GPA 3.3 (Both of these are on an upward trend. I messed up my freshman year, about a 3.0, and I have been slowly improving since then.)

MCAT Scores: Taking the 2015 but my two practice exams gave me a 507....errr idk compared to others.

Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc) - 1.5 year in a renal and cardiovascular lab. Our lab primarily conducts research regarding the effects that exercise and dietary modifications have on the development or progression of cardiovascular disease and other related metabolic disorders in chronic kidney disease patients. I work more clinical implementing excercise and protein consumption at the dialysis clinic.

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites - Local Hospital about 500 hours. Worked on patient floors and Emergency room

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties - Thoracic Radiologist about 20 hours. (Trying to get some shadowing during the school year).

Non-clinical volunteering: - Club my room mates and I founded, Be the Match on Campus. Put in about 2 hours a week.

Extracurricular activities - Logistics chair of social fraternity, Part of a leadership group that is involved helping alumni donate to the University along with represent the college on any accreditation, ceremonies etc. , I am a tutor for the University, a member of my club Be the Match on Campus, a general member of ISA, and I am part of an ad-hoc committee trying to create a med school at my university that is distinct from the other med school in our school system.

Employment history Camp Counselor for 4 years and a University tutor for about 1. (Camp counselor helped interest me into pediatrics since I was a counselor for 5-8 year olds)

Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars. - I spend about 15-20 hours a week with my job and EC

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) No

Specialty of interest Don't have one, somewhat interested in radiology and pediatrics

Shadowing experience - Shadowed a thoracic radiologist

Graduate degrees no: (would a quick 1 year masters program be helpful?)

Interest in rural health (y/n)..maybe. I am interested in opening up a family practice type of deal and it makes sense to do it in rural areas. But idk how different life would be away from the big city.

Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Forget TX schools, they're mandated to accpet 90% of thier classes from IS. Your stats aren't competitive for Baylor.

Your GPAs are < avg, so stick with private schools, except VCU. Definitely apply to your state school, and maybe those surrounding.

I have the open MSAR so far,Im thinking of investing in the actual MSAR for more information. But looking at all this is disheartening considering I only have 10 highly competitive schools and most of them are not in the continental US. Anyways, I am going to apply to ever school in Illinois minus Chicago and Northwestern. I am looking at the open MSAR for the OOS matriculants and Ill edit where I apply based on that. As long as the med school is accredited I would be fine going there right?

Also all this data is based on the old MCAT, how should I follow it based on my result of the new MCAT? In addition, should I apply close to the range of what I get on the MCAT or should I apply close to my GPA? Lets say I absolutely kill the MCAT and get a 520+ should I consider applying to more mid tier schools, or should I stick with the low tier schools with my gpa being around a 3.5?

Thanks again with all the help

It's important to apply strategically and smartly, to maximize the chances of your getting an interview. If you don't live in Southern ILL, forget SIU. Do apply to CCOM.

Yes, no matter what med school you go to here in the US, MD or DO, you'll get a fine medical education.

It will take a few years for us to get used to the new MCAT. But we do know how to look at percentile scores. Keep in mind it's very easy to say that you'll rock the xam, doing so is harder. Try and avoid magic thinking. Also, for MD schools, a high MCAT doesn't rescue a mediocre GPA, and vice versa.

I have the open MSAR so far,Im thinking of investing in the actual MSAR for more information. But looking at all this is disheartening considering I only have 10 highly competitive schools and most of them are not in the continental US. Anyways, I am going to apply to ever school in Illinois minus Chicago and Northwestern. I am looking at the open MSAR for the OOS matriculants and Ill edit where I apply based on that. As long as the med school is accredited I would be fine going there right?

Also all this data is based on the old MCAT, how should I follow it based on my result of the new MCAT? In addition, should I apply close to the range of what I get on the MCAT or should I apply close to my GPA? Lets say I absolutely kill the MCAT and get a 520+ should I consider applying to more mid tier schools, or should I stick with the low tier schools with my gpa being around a 3.5?

Thanks again with all the help

It's important to apply strategically and smartly, to maximize the chances of your getting an interview. If you don't live in Southern ILL, forget SIU. Do apply to CCOM.

Yes, no matter what med school you go to here in the US, MD or DO, you'll get a fine medical education.

It will take a few years for us to get used to the new MCAT. But we do know how to look at percentile scores. Keep in mind it's very easy to say that you'll rock the xam, doing so is harder. Try and avoid magic thinking. Also, for MD schools, a high MCAT doesn't rescue a mediocre GPA, and vice versa.

Awesome. Thanks so much! Really appreciate the help.

Just curious, but why do you say forget about SIU?