What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rosieck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently planning on applying to MD and DO programs. What do you guys think I should improve? I am going to take my MCAT in May and so I will not know my score until I've already applied. I am not applying to "reach" schools per say, so my MCAT will not dictate where I apply. I am a Florida resident and will apply to all the Florida schools and DO schools. I will cast a wide net by applying around the south as well. I am planning on applying as early as possible.

Ivy League grad majored in neuroscience
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.4
Post bacc GPA 3.9 (Bio 1, Orgo 1, Orgo 2, Biochem, cell bio).
Overall BCPM: 3.6
MCAT: will take in May and will hope for the best!

LORs: Great letters of rec from 2 science professors (Organic chem and biochem) and college coach.

ECCs
-4 year varsity athlete: Freshman of the year, MVP, academic All Ivy selection, team captain.
-Medical scribe: 4 months in ENT clinic
-Volunteer and mentor at elementary school helping kids read
-Volunteer: cofounded a program to teach minorities how to swim
-Certified nurse assistant: full time job
-Swim coach for a team specializing in special needs kids
-Mentor/tutor for special needs college students
-Shadowed various surgeries. Spent a lot of time in the clinic due to work, so I'm not sure how much more shadowing I need.

Research
-Alzheimers research for one summer after freshmen year in college
-Social neuroscience research junior year in college (no publications)
-Waiting on a Mayo clinic research opportunity for a year long position in a neuroscience and cancer research lab.

Members don't see this ad.

So I think many will say that we really do need to see your mcat before we can make any recommendations. If your mcat is below 30, I'd say you're in no bueno position with MD schools. However, say you get an mcat of 35+, then theres a fair shot for you.

That said, regarding your ECs, your research is fine for what it is, can't expect for you to have published-you were a varsity athlete, there's not a whole lot of time to dedicate towards research in the meantime. However, doing some lab work as you are working on now will help and keep you 'research savvy'. Your activities, being a CNA will help you-having a good reflection on what you've learned from that experience will help you on your interviews (I hope your reflection is not about how you drew someones blood, but a sincere patient interaction, or how the real-world works, when you're paid to go work). I'd suggest doing some clinical volunteering possibly, but since you have CNA work, might not be so necessary. just continue your volunteer activities elsewhere and i think you should be fine. otherwise, go to the hospital and volutneer in a unit or the ED.

Reactions: 1 user
looks excellent. do well on your MCAT and you are going to get love from some great schools

Members don't see this ad :)
So I think many will say that we really do need to see your mcat before we can make any recommendations. If your mcat is below 30, I'd say you're in no bueno position with MD schools. However, say you get an mcat of 35+, then theres a fair shot for you.

That said, regarding your ECs, your research is fine for what it is, can't expect for you to have published-you were a varsity athlete, there's not a whole lot of time to dedicate towards research in the meantime. However, doing some lab work as you are working on now will help and keep you 'research savvy'. Your activities, being a CNA will help you-having a good reflection on what you've learned from that experience will help you on your interviews (I hope your reflection is not about how you drew someones blood, but a sincere patient interaction, or how the real-world works, when you're paid to go work). I'd suggest doing some clinical volunteering possibly, but since you have CNA work, might not be so necessary. just continue your volunteer activities elsewhere and i think you should be fine. otherwise, go to the hospital and volutneer in a unit or the ED.
4-year varsity athlete with great ECs and a good trend. it's not a question of whether MD or not, but which tier

A strong MCAT will take you far with those post-bac stats.

I am currently planning on applying to MD and DO programs. What do you guys think I should improve? I am going to take my MCAT in May and so I will not know my score until I've already applied. I am not applying to "reach" schools per say, so my MCAT will not dictate where I apply. I am a Florida resident and will apply to all the Florida schools and DO schools. I will cast a wide net by applying around the south as well. I am planning on applying as early as possible.

Ivy League grad majored in neuroscience
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.4
Post bacc GPA 3.9 (Bio 1, Orgo 1, Orgo 2, Biochem, cell bio).
Overall BCPM: 3.6
MCAT: will take in May and will hope for the best!

LORs: Great letters of rec from 2 science professors (Organic chem and biochem) and college coach.

ECCs
-4 year varsity athlete: Freshman of the year, MVP, academic All Ivy selection, team captain.
-Medical scribe: 4 months in ENT clinic
-Volunteer and mentor at elementary school helping kids read
-Volunteer: cofounded a program to teach minorities how to swim
-Certified nurse assistant: full time job
-Swim coach for a team specializing in special needs kids
-Mentor/tutor for special needs college students
-Shadowed various surgeries. Spent a lot of time in the clinic due to work, so I'm not sure how much more shadowing I need.

Research
-Alzheimers research for one summer after freshmen year in college
-Social neuroscience research junior year in college (no publications)
-Waiting on a Mayo clinic research opportunity for a year long position in a neuroscience and cancer research lab.

4-year varsity athlete with great ECs and a good trend. it's not a question of whether MD or not, but which tier
Wow I didn't think I'd ever hear someone say something like this. Thank you for the positivity!

A strong MCAT will take you far with those post-bac stats.
Thank you for the kind words. Any recommendations on other schools (besides Florida schools) to apply?

Depends upon your MCAT. MD school will want you to ace it (like >33). U Miami is one of those schools that reward reinvention.
Ok good to know. Yeah its hard to know where I stand with this new MCAT because my practice exams can't give a real score. I'll just hope for the best. Thanks a lot.

Wow I didn't think I'd ever hear someone say something like this. Thank you for the positivity!
well this assumes a decent MCAT score, but seeing how you did very well in post-bac, i've got faith. update us when you get that back