What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

run1818

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year: Rising Senior (graduate May 2016)
Major: Biomedical Engineering (@ Georgia Tech) with Chem minor
cGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.15
MCAT: Awaiting score

Extra Curriculars
- 3 years clinical research (~10 hrs/wk) with 2+publications
- ~100 hrs volunteering (20 clinical, 80 nonclinical) throughout college
- ~50 hrs shadowing (family, ortho, cardiology)

Do I have a fighting chance with my GPA being as it is? (Obviously much depends on my MCAT score, but I feel I did pretty well on it). I think I have a pretty compelling story to tell, and I'm confident I will have very strong letters of rec. I'm just planning on applying to state schools, and I'm a white male if that matters. What do you think?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
State of residence??
Year: Rising Senior (graduate May 2016)
Major: Biomedical Engineering (@ Georgia Tech) with Biomechanics focus and Chem minor
cGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.15
MCAT: Awaiting score

I struggled during my first two years, including in the core pre-med classes, which killed my GPA. Junior year my GPA was 3.55 and 4.0. Through freshmen and sophmore year my close friend battled cancer, which factored into my less than stellar grades.

Extra Curriculars
- 3 years clinical research (~10 hrs/wk) with 2+publications
- ~100 hrs volunteering (20 clinical, 80 nonclinical) throughout college
- ~50 hrs shadowing (family, ortho, cardiology) over last summer
- 1 year collaborated with a sugeon to develop techniques and devices to make his O.R. more efficient and safe (~5 hrs/wk)
- BMES member
- Honors college scholarship recipient
- Interned at a major orthopedic implant company for one summer

Do I have a fighting chance with my GPA being as it is? (Obviously much depends on my MCAT score, but I feel I did pretty well on it). I think I have a pretty compelling story to tell, and I'm confident I will have very strong letters of rec. I'm just planning on applying to state schools, and I'm a white male if that matters. What do you think?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
That sGPA is a killer for basically all MD schools, and a serious ding for many in the DO camp. Apply broadly DO, low tier MD if you have an MCAT thats whatever the equivalent if a 30+, or just straight state school and DO if you're in the 26-29 range. I'd try to knock this last year out of the park, and have contingency plans for MCAT and course retakes if your grades don't pan out in the first semester of your senior year.

You can definitely do it, but you're going to have to work your butt off, because the deck is quite stacked against you at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't have any advice, but I have similar stats. Good luck!