MD & DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papa Oso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an URM (hispanic male) from South Florida. my c GPA is 3.33, and I recently got my MCAT score of 504 (not bad, but am retaking it on May for a better score). Talked to my pre-health advisor who told me I have a solid shot at mid tier MD schools, and a great shot at DO. Worried that he might be overly optimistic. Working on my PS and collecting my LOR for committee Review at FIU. (I have plenty of doctors who are nice enough to write me a LOR). Also, I am part of a distinguished science program at FIU (QBIC) which is notably harder than the average undergraduate science courses, and part of the Honors College.

As far as EC's: Over 2 years and counting of volunteering at Nicklaus Children's Hospital (aka Miami Children's) at Radiolollipop, 2 years of research (1 year AD research and 1 year prostate cancer), been to undergraduate research conferences and presented. Worked as an ER scribe again a little over 2 years.

I'm thinking of applying to all of the MD schools in Florida (aside from UM). I want to apply to UF being my long shot dream especially since I'm getting a LOR with an MD affiliated from there even though I know I'll probably just get filtered out. Oh, and obviously I am planning on applying early next cycle.

Aside from NSU (main DO school here in Florida), I'm not sure which other DO school is appropriate for me.

If I am at best a long shot for MD, what score do I need to on my MCAT retake to realistically get in? I honestly don't care which kind of program I get into (so long as it's within the U.S); my goal is to become a physician, not get the letters MD next to my name.

Thank you in advanced fellow SDN colleagues!

Random hopefully interesting note: My junior year at FIU I actually curated an Art show with Miami Artists for a class! Had an attendance of about 1000 or so in the Robert Frost Museum on FIU campus during opening night. I imagine it always helps to have these random, interesting things to help stand out from everyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What community do you represent? And please don't say "Boca Raton". Not all Latinos are URM.

Hahaha. No, I was born in the U.S, but my entire family is Cuban. Born and raised in the south Miami area. First generation in the states.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cubans are not considered URM.

Thus, your stats are fine for any DO school, and you may have some luck with the Fl state schools, especially FAU, FIU, FSU, USF. But your GPAs are very close to the 10th %ile for them, and so I'm not sanguine.

Hahaha. No, I was born in the U.S, but my entire family is Cuban. Born and raised in the south Miami area. First generation in the states.

Reactions: 1 users
Cubans are not considered to be underrepresented in medicine officially by the AAMC. Individual med schools may differ. Be prepared for some schools to consider you a minority and others to not. At any rate, fluency in Spanish is a valuable EC that will enhance your application.

I feel like a 510 will be a good improvement, and 513 will make you competitive at MD schools. The GPA isn't great and GPA repair may be a valuable option for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! Really?! I wonder why that is so haha. Oh well, so much for affirmative action for me. That is actually the score I was aiming for the first time around. I know I probably can get away with the 504 and just go DO, but I have the time to do it, and don't want to wander "what if" if I don't make it in the end and could've gotten a better score (a bit pessimistic, but just trying to be honest). Thank you guys for informing me, I probably should've looked this up, but honestly kind of assumed that Cubans are an URM. Was thinking more towards DO regardless as my Scribe position places me in a very underprivileged neighborhood (the ghetto put nicely) and I have a lot of experience comforting families who have very sick children. To my understanding, DOs put more emphasis on ECs and less so on MCAT and GPA right?

Again thank you for the quick response guys. Love SDN, I don't know where I'd be without this site!

Yea, it really does seem like there isn't a hierarchy when it comes to DO schools. Preference as to where you want to go seems to be based mostly on either length of establishment, and location. Since well, there is no official ranking system for those schools.