DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Wright

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am Canadian student living in Ontario. I am planning to apply to US DO schools in the upcoming cycle. My cGPA is 3.85 and MCAT is 505 (126/125/127/127). Here is a list of my extracurricular activities:
- Research in Lab (100 hrs)
- Hospital Volunteering (200 hrs)
- Executive member of 2 clubs at the university for past 2 years
- Community center volunteer (40 hrs)
- NGO that helps women empowerment in Africa and Asia (100 hrs) *I did not travel*
- NGO that helps the immigrant families (300 hrs)
- Shadowing MD family physician in Canada (100 hrs)
- Shadowing Cardiologist in Canada (40 hrs)
- Shadowing 2 DO doctors in USA (40 hrs each)
- Shadowing MD doctor in USA (40 hrs)
- Volunteer at Temple (80 hrs)
- Volunteer at Old Age Home (100 hrs)
I know being a Canadian will limit my choices but I want to know if I have a decent shot at any DO schools. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA/MCAT/ECs are solid. Apply early and broadly to all schools that take canadians and youll net an acceptance

All the best friend

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Fellow Canadian here,

I came across something interesting at MSUCOM regarding a Canadian Initiative. I'm ineligible as a dual-citizen, but I like to spread the advice to Canadians struggling with the competitive nature of Canadian admissions.

Hi! Fellow Canadian here,

I came across something interesting at MSUCOM regarding a Canadian Initiative. I'm ineligible as a dual-citizen, but I like to spread the advice to Canadians struggling with the competitive nature of Canadian admissions.
What do you mean by ineligible as dual citizen? Does that mean if you have Canadian/American dual citizenship, you cannot apply to MSUCOM? Dual citizen here, but living and doing undergrad in US. Please explain, thanks!

What do you mean by ineligible as dual citizen? Does that mean if you have Canadian/American dual citizenship, you cannot apply to MSUCOM? Dual citizen here, but living and doing undergrad in US. Please explain, thanks!
I think he means that you won't be considered for the Canadian Initiative where they accept 20-25 Canadians per cycle. MSUCOM accepts very few OOS applicants and most are either Canadian or within Michigan.

Stats and ECs look good fellow Canadian! I applied this year with slightly lower GPA (~3.6 cumulative and ~3.7 science) and higher MCAT (510+, multiple tries) and got 6 II (visited 4) and 4 Acceptances.

Good luck and if you need any advice or someone to ask questions PM me :)