This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think another important question is where you are at with the prerecs.? Have you finished them or do you still have a bunch to finish up?

You sound like you are at the point I was at last year- I decided in June that I wanted to be a vet, started looking stuff up online and figuring out what I had left to complete. I could have applied last year, but I wasn't going to start getting vet experience hours until at least July if I dropped everything and went for it and I didn't feel that that was a smart move. I knew I needed time to figure everything out. To be quite honest, I am still not 100% sure I stand a chance this year since my vet hours are low and I have a 3.99 GPA and a 1280 on the GRE (just noticed you totally did awesome on that!). Plus I have over 7000 animal experience hours.

I know last year at this time, I thought about applying, but once I looked into it more, I realized there was no way I could realistically prepare myself for the application and everything else by October. I still feel so new to the vet med world a year later, although I am figuring it out and am super excited about applying this year.

I don't think it hurts if you want to apply this year, more as practice than anything and who knows, maybe you'll get in. I wouldn't apply expecting to get in though, because I'd say with so few vet experience hours and being new to the application and trying to scramble to get everything done, you don't stand too much of a chance. I'd say the chance is there, though, and I sometimes wish I had gone for it last year just to get everything figured out and see what the application process is like. If you think about it too, if you do get in, you do have about a year before vet school actually starts and in that amount of time, I think you can be pretty sure if you want to be a vet or not. I know I am sure now and it has been a year for me since I decided, so in that aspect, I'd say go for it.

Sorry for the long rambling post, I think I'd apply if I were you, but realize that your chances of getting in aren't too good this year.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if I came off as a turd or a jerk or crazy or out of line. I also had a crazy long day yesterday, most of it spent sitting in traffic, so I was not in the best mood when I replied. So you have my apologies, NStarz, I did not mean to offend you nor did I mean to put words, feelings, etc. in your mouth. The LAST thing I am is uncivilized, and the LAST thing I want is to be the cause of drama or to come off as a jerk, so hopefully I can be forgiven for having a "cranky old lady" episode. :)

Anyway, what I didn't articulate so well earlier is that it can be really intimidating to come on this board and see people with thousands of hours of experience. The successful applicant thread shows that it's really not necessary in order to be admitted. I also think that letting the vets you'll be working with know about your intention to get a letter of rec from them asap is important. It's cutting it close, but you'll still have plenty of time to rack up hours and build a solid relationship with the vet.

What's most important, though, is your understanding of the field and how well you can articulate that understanding. If you feel as though you're a competitive applicant and you feel as though your understanding is broad and deep enough that you're confident this is the right career for you, there's no harm in applying. The worst that happens is you get rejected, you hopefully get a file review, and you're out some money for application fees but you have one cycle under your belt and you're better prepared for the mayhem that is the VMCAS next year!

PS - There's actually a lot of sabotage that goes on amongst the pre-vet and pre-med students where I'm currently taking classes. Things like sharing the wrong notes, creating fake study guides, etc. It's disgusting, but it's pretty common. That's why I come here for advice/camaraderie. SDN'ers (with the exception of me yesterday) tend to be a fairly even-keeled bunch.

PS - There's actually a lot of sabotage that goes on amongst the pre-vet and pre-med students where I'm currently taking classes. Things like sharing the wrong notes, creating fake study guides, etc. It's disgusting, but it's pretty common. That's why I come here for advice/camaraderie. SDN'ers (with the exception of me yesterday) tend to be a fairly even-keeled bunch.

Wow that is terrible! I'm hoping no one does that in vet school and that it is a much more supportive environment. Everyone should be more understanding of what a tiresome and intimidating process it is and be supportive rather than harmful...I hate to hear that. Sounds like you try to rise above though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that is terrible! I'm hoping no one does that in vet school and that it is a much more supportive environment. Everyone should be more understanding of what a tiresome and intimidating process it is and be supportive rather than harmful...I hate to hear that. Sounds like you try to rise above though.

I can't speak for every school but my classmates are very supportive and most people share when they make or find good study guides and resources.

That's hilarious. Really, who has the time to make fake study guides? That can only happen in undergrad.

I can't speak for every school but my classmates are very supportive and most people share when they make or find good study guides and resources.

We had 1 person who used to distribute study guides only to those she liked. She joined our class from the class before us. As soon as we found out, someone would get the study guide from her and make copies/distribute to the rest of the class.

It's super rare in vet school.

That's hilarious. Really, who has the time to make fake study guides? That can only happen in undergrad.

Yep, and as a non-trad, it drives me nuts. It's a really small school, so most of these kids are going to be in classes together all four years, so why not work together? It's mostly a small group of people who definitely should be focusing on school instead of sabotage. It's good to hear that it isn't common once you get into vet school. That's why it's called a "professional" program!

Helloo, I saw this what are my chances thread and I kind of want some feedback, I'm feeling really down about myself over some of my marks and I just do not seem to have any confidence...

I am in a BSc (majoring in Biology), and I am starting my 4th year in September, my school gives us percentage grades I do not get a GPA, so far my cumulative average is 70.021%

My second year was absolutely dreadful, not only was it my programs 'core' year where we had to take Organic Chem, Biochem, etc (Everything was just awful) I was having a pretty bad time at life right then and I got into a pretty deep rut, I had a close friend die in a car accident that year and I broke up with a boyfriend (not a good excuse I know, I have since smartened up about boys) but needless to say it was a pretty emotionally and academically challenging year. My Organic prof was evil... she did not bell curve our marks (I got a 54%) the class average was 50.2% (JERK)

ANYWAYS, that year was bad, but in my 3rd year (this past year) I was able to salvage my marks, but second year has still dragged my cumulative average down, and I am confident that I can pull off some amazing marks in my fall semester this year (those marks will be submitted I believe)... (Do they look at how your marks change drastically?)

I have 1360 hours working in a vet clinic, I have 300 hours working in the same vet clinic doing Co-op in high school.
I worked at another vets office for a summer just once a week, it ended up being about 100 hours
I have 1280 hours working at a farm (petting zoo style, we have donkeys, horses, llamas, sheep, goats, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits etc...)
I have 200 hours (and counting) working at a wildlife rehab that admits all kinds of animals and 100 hours (and counting) working at a raptor rehab center.
I have also spent about 10 hours milking cows (so much fun)

I may not have as much actual working with vet experience as some people but I found that the wildlife centers have taught me a lot of vet med pertinent things (Example, I am so awesome at running raccoon and fox fecals) I also take my animals to the vet I worked at, and I am always allowed to draw the blood, so I am now able to draw blood. :D

I am a Canadian student from Ontario and I will be applying to the OVC (my home school), Glasgow, RVC, and UCDublin...
do I have a chance at all?

I also feel like I forgot to mention that I am fairly confident I will get some good letters of reference...
I worked with 3 vets at one clinic and 1 at the other clinic, I am going to pick 2 of them, or ask each clinic to do their reference together (I feel terrible asking just one of the 3 in the clinic with more than 1 vet)
My other reference (Guelph wants an animal experience reference) I have not decided on... one is the farmer I work with at the farm I work on, he is an old school farmer, he has taught me so much and I have a great deal of respect for him and I believe he also has a great deal of respect for me. Like I said he is an old school farmer, his language may not be that eloquent, but I think he knows me well enough to really give me a personal reference. My other option for this reference would be the animal care manager at one of the wildlife rehabs I work for. She seems to like me, she would call me to fill empty shifts on a pretty regular basis and knows me as reliable and good with the animals, she perhaps does not know me as well personally, but she has written letters for other girls and I think could write one with better spelling and grammar (I do not want to sound rude when I am saying this, I hope you all understand what I mean)... my gut says to go with the farmer, but I'm not sure...

Hi everyone -

I decided about 2 years ago that I was going to follow my high school dream of being a vet instead of pursuing a higher degree in art history, and have been trucking to get the classes and experience in since then (I had to start from the beginning with the sciences: art history doesn't really require them)

Here are my stats:

BA in Art History from Emory University, GPA 3.76
Science GPA is something like a 3.9 at the moment (I've made 1 B). I have 4 more pre-reqs to take before christmas and am determined to make A's in all of them.
GRE: Verbal 630 (91%), Math 760 (84%)

Experience (almost all volunteer although I've recently been hired at a SA vet):
160 hrs Emergency Vet (mostly SA)
520 hrs Wildlife Rehab Center (wild birds)
140 hrs Equine Vet
120 hrs SA Vet Clinic

Unfortunately with my class schedule the way it is for the fall I will have to drop to just 10 hrs a week of experience. I'm hoping to get in some food animal experience in the spring (after the application has been in) just so that I can speak about it in the interview if it comes up. I also might be able to get a job working in the research lab with animal care, which would be interesting.

What do y'all think? Auburn is my first choice.

Your grades look decent and if all your experience counts as vet experience that looks pretty good too. The only thing is if the wildlife center had a vet on site? I have over 6000 experience hours with wildlife and was told since there isn't a vet actually at the center, none of it counts as vet experience. Animal experience is good to have too, though and wildlife rehab is an excellent experience in my opinion, but thought I'd warn you in case yours doesn't count as vet experience.

Do you have what you feel will be solid eLOR writers?

No, the wildlife center isn't vet experience, although we do consult with vets. My LOR will be fine, but perhaps not fantastic - I have one excellent but not personal academic reference, the wildlife center will give me a great reference, but I'm uncertain how the vet I work with views me. I can ask another vet if need be; those are Auburn's three preferred recommendations.

There actually isn't much I can do at this point besides keep my grades up and keep working. I'm going to apply this year no matter what. If I don't get in I'll request file reviews and work on my application (but hopefully it won't come to that!) Thanks for the review. :)

I am in a BSc (majoring in Biology), and I am starting my 4th year in September, my school gives us percentage grades I do not get a GPA, so far my cumulative average is 70.021%

I think you need to figure out how that will convert into a GPA. I don't know if it varies from school to school or if the standard 70=C, 80=B, 90=A applies. If that cumulative average works out to a C (=70% = 2.0) then you will struggle to successfully apply until you can do something about it. There are a few approaches you could take:

1) Be picky about schools so that you get the maximum GPA possible. Schools don't all look at GPAs the same; they use a mix of cumulative, recent, and pre-req GPAs.
2) Retake some classes in combo with #1 to maximize the relevant GPA.
3) Take more classes to drag your GPA up. Obvious downsides - it's expensive and it's hard to get a GPA higher without a lot of classes.

Maybe other people here know more about how that percentage would convert.... but your school is the best place to start.

What do y'all think? Auburn is my first choice.

Looks awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I have been focusing on how Guelph will calculate my marks and not my cumulative average, I have 80s in all of the classes they look at, with the exception of maybe one in which I got a 74...
My problem was 2nd year, I did great last year and I know I will with my classes this year my personal life and the hardest year of my program simply took a toll on me, and I hope that doesn't end up screwing me over
I will be applying for an MSc at my undergrad school as well as vet school
I also don't think it converts like that, I haven't found a reliable converter though (I read something that said they don't convert, its not the same thing? :s )

My problem was 2nd year, I did great last year and I know I will with my classes this year my personal life and the hardest year of my program simply took a toll on me, and I hope that doesn't end up screwing me over [...]
I also don't think it converts like that, I haven't found a reliable converter though (I read something that said they don't convert, its not the same thing? :s )

Finishing with two good years ought to help you, no doubt. How much is anyone's guess.

I think at some point you or they will HAVE to convert your scores/grades, because that's how Guelph/VMCAS will look at it. I'd call your school's registrar, explain the situation, and ask.

Guelph is probably a good option for you since, I believe, they look at your last year's grades as well as your pre-reqs, but not an overall cumulative? (I'm not positive I'm correct; I have a friend there that I think told me that.....)

Guelph is my home school, they take percentage grades from Canadian students... for anyone else that is interested here is Guelph's little method of looking at your marks...
They look at the average of your marks (or GPA for those whose schools mark that way) from your last 2 full time semesters (for me this will be last semester and this fall semesters)
The pre-requisites they require are:
- 3 semester length Biology courses (animal biology of some sort, 1 must be a cell bio, I think they will take Histology as well)
- 1 semester Statistics (with Calculus pre-req ...aka Science Stats)
- 2 semesters of a Social Science or Humanity
- 1 semester Genetics
- 1 semester Biochemistry

As for converting for the schools I will be applying to via VMCAS, I have started to e-mail them to see what they want me to do, I am only using it for UK schools I think, going to an American school would be WAAAAY out of my price range / probably my grade range haha :(

Oh, very interesting! I wonder what they want you to put in VMCAS, then? They must ignore it, whatever it is, but you still need to put *something* into VMCAS, I would think?

I'm sorry if I have confused you haha, only international applicants to Guelph apply through VMCAS, I use a service called OUAC provided in Ontario, thats how the 'local' students apply to Guelph
I am using VMCAS to apply to UK schools... and I have been trying to figure out what to put in there for my 'GPA' haha

I'm sorry if I have confused you haha, only international applicants to Guelph apply through VMCAS

Not your fault! I probably shouldn't have replied at all, since I don't know much about your specific situation.

I will say that I miss Toronto. It's maybe the only city I've really enjoyed as much as my home (Minneapolis area). I loved the Guelph area the two times I've been there. Anyway. Enough derailing.

Welp, I'm a wee bit of a non-trad.

First time Applicant to IS school (UTK)
26 yo, female, TN Resident (for 26 years).

BS: Biology, Concentration in Zoology, Minor in Chemistry, Conferred May 2007.

Post-Bacc/Graduate/Professional Work (incomplete) in: Curriculum & Instruction (Graduate) and Osteopathic Medicine (Professional)

GPA
3.49 (Degree - I was so dang close to cum laude honors), 3.8 (Post-bacc), 4.0 (Graduate)
ScGPA: 3.625
GRE: 1230 (630 V, 600 Q, 4.5 A)

Experiences
Veterinary:
750 Kennel/Veterinary Assistant
10 Shadowing SA (At present - trying to schedule more hours)
I'm trying, also, to get a couple of ride-alongs with a mobile/housecall vet.

Animal:
100 Volunteer at Animal Shelter
10 Equestrian, stable help
10 Assisting PhD with Ichthyology/Conservation data collection
Countless hours raising all sorts of fowl, fostering puppies, and am currently training my second dog for CGC.

Awards/Honors
Maj. Shipley Agriculture Scholarship, 2002
Deans List (multiple, 2003-2007)
Freshman Writing Competition, Research, 2nd place

ECs
Wildlife Society, member 2006-2007
Tri-Beta (National Biological Honor Society), member, webmaster 2005-2007
4-H (4th-12th grade)
FFA (9th-12th grade) -- gotta figure out what year that was. I'm aaancient.

BTW, should I include 4H/FFA? Also, I have a C in Gen Chem 2 that I took in 2005.. should I retake/plan to retake in the spring?

Helloo, I saw this what are my chances thread and I kind of want some feedback, I'm feeling really down about myself over some of my marks and I just do not seem to have any confidence...

My second year was absolutely dreadful, not only was it my programs 'core' year where we had to take Organic Chem, Biochem, etc (Everything was just awful) I was having a pretty bad time at life right then and I got into a pretty deep rut, I had a close friend die in a car accident that year and I broke up with a boyfriend (not a good excuse I know, I have since smartened up about boys) but needless to say it was a pretty emotionally and academically challenging year. My Organic prof was evil... she did not bell curve our marks (I got a 54%) the class average was 50.2% (JERK)

ANYWAYS, that year was bad, but in my 3rd year (this past year) I was able to salvage my marks, but second year has still dragged my cumulative average down, and I am confident that I can pull off some amazing marks in my fall semester this year (those marks will be submitted I believe)... (Do they look at how your marks change drastically?)

I have 1360 hours working in a vet clinic, I have 300 hours working in the same vet clinic doing Co-op in high school.
I worked at another vets office for a summer just once a week, it ended up being about 100 hours
I have 1280 hours working at a farm (petting zoo style, we have donkeys, horses, llamas, sheep, goats, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits etc...)
I have 200 hours (and counting) working at a wildlife rehab that admits all kinds of animals and 100 hours (and counting) working at a raptor rehab center.
I have also spent about 10 hours milking cows (so much fun)

I may not have as much actual working with vet experience as some people but I found that the wildlife centers have taught me a lot of vet med pertinent things (Example, I am so awesome at running raccoon and fox fecals) I also take my animals to the vet I worked at, and I am always allowed to draw the blood, so I am now able to draw blood. :D

I am a Canadian student from Ontario and I will be applying to the OVC (my home school), Glasgow, RVC, and UCDublin...
do I have a chance at all?

Don't worry about your 2nd year. I applied and got into OVC this year (also an Ontario resident, though I went to Mac), and my 2nd year also dragged down my cGPA (I got a C+ in orgo, booo). OVC doesn't look at cGPA at all, just your 8 prereqs and your last 2 full time semesters. I applied in 3rd year so they looked at 2nd year 2nd semester and 3rd year 1st semester marks for me. Since you're applying in 4th year, they'll be ONLY looking at 3rd year 2nd sem and 4th year 1st sem GPA (along with your prereq GPA). If those marks are 85+ then you have a pretty solid chance of receiving an interview.

You have way more diverse experience and hours than I did, so I think you're fine in terms of that.

Don't worry about your 2nd year. I applied and got into OVC this year (also an Ontario resident, though I went to Mac), and my 2nd year also dragged down my cGPA (I got a C+ in orgo, booo). OVC doesn't look at cGPA at all, just your 8 prereqs and your last 2 full time semesters. I applied in 3rd year so they looked at 2nd year 2nd semester and 3rd year 1st semester marks for me. Since you're applying in 4th year, they'll be ONLY looking at 3rd year 2nd sem and 4th year 1st sem GPA (along with your prereq GPA). If those marks are 85+ then you have a pretty solid chance of receiving an interview.

You have way more diverse experience and hours than I did, so I think you're fine in terms of that.

Orgo KILLED me... but yeah my marks are pretty good for what they actually look at, I've been gearing my education towards applying to the OVC, I had an 80% average last semester, and this semester I hardcore bird course selected so that average should be awesome...

When did they let you know you had an interview? And does Guelph invite for interviews only based on marks or do they look at everything?

Orgo KILLED me... but yeah my marks are pretty good for what they actually look at, I've been gearing my education towards applying to the OVC, I had an 80% average last semester, and this semester I hardcore bird course selected so that average should be awesome...

When did they let you know you had an interview? And does Guelph invite for interviews only based on marks or do they look at everything?

So glad I'll never ever have to take orgo again :D. I was emailed May 5th with an interview invite, so I had a week and a bit to prep (my interview was on the first day - May 16th). Supposedly they only look at prereq GPA, last 2 sems' GPA and MCAT (using the 40:40:20 ratio) in determining/ranking their top ~200 and sending out interview invites and nothing else, but I've never been able to confirm that.

So glad I'll never ever have to take orgo again :D. I was emailed May 5th with an interview invite, so I had a week and a bit to prep (my interview was on the first day - May 16th). Supposedly they only look at prereq GPA, last 2 sems' GPA and MCAT (using the 40:40:20 ratio) in determining/ranking their top ~200 and sending out interview invites and nothing else, but I've never been able to confirm that.
I thought thats what they did but I wasn't positive... I'm not sure anyone is :p which is a shame, I'm pretty confident I'll get some amazing reference letters (I'm using a vet from each clinic... I've known them for like 5 years and my boss at the farm he loves me... he's the one that took me milking cows :D ) I would just be so upset if they didn't even look!!! I'm so nervous haha and self-doubting:scared:

So, here we go.. I'm entering the "oh my gosh, do I even stand a chance?" stage of applications. Just a little feedback would be great.

First time Applicant
22 yo, female, TX Resident .

BS: Interdisciplinary Agriculture-Animal Science, with Honors/Honors Program- awarded May 2011

I'll be taking some classes (Parasitology, Animal Breeding & Genetics, and Small Animal Disease) as a Post Bacc while I apply this year.

GPA
3.48 - so close to cum laude (darn you O-Chem 2)
ScGPA: ~3.3- 3.5 (depending on the school) (a few C's in lower level science classes. I've retaken them with a B in each. Minus O-Chem 2. I've just learned to suck it up and admit that O-Chem is not my cup of tea. but Yay for an A in Biochem. :p
Last 45: Kind of Low.. ~3.3-3.4 (Depending on the school).. Bad 2nd semester Junior Year/1st semester Senior Year. boo :mad:
GRE: 1270 (600 V, 670 Q, 4.0 A)

Experiences
Veterinary:
~3000 Veterinary Assistant/Technician/Receptionist (Jack of all trades lol) (Small Animal)
~100 Shadowing Small Animal Vet during HS
~50 farm/mobile office call assistant/technician (Large Animal)

Animal:
Years of personal pet ownership: A&M allows you to list max 100 hours
~2000 Family Farm Volunteer- Summers at my Grandfather's farm/ranch
~800 hours pet sitting (only counting those that required medical attention and care
~300 Animal Shelter/Humane Society
~500 Weekend/Holiday Kennel Manager @ Small Animal Clinic
~30 Administering Sub-Q fluids to a client's dog after hours
~2 Administering vaccines & trimming hooves on goats
~6 Palpation of Steers/Heifers (for Repro Class)/semen collection & analysis

I may have more.. but I haven't quite finished apps.

Research Experience:
~300 Foraging Success/Behavior of Black Vultures in Various Environments (independent semester-long research project for Animal Behavior Course)
~75- Isolation/Identification of Bacteria of the Human Gut (Semester-long, unsupervised research project for Microbiology)

Awards/Honors
Honors Program Scholarship (2007-2011)
Greater Texas Foundation Scholarship (2007-2008)
Dean's List (multiple, 2007-2010)
Outstanding Undergraduate in Animal Science (2008-2011)
Letts-Hopper Endowed Scholarship (2009-2010)
Houston Livestock show/rodeo scholarship (2009-2010)
Electric Company's Agricultureal and Industrial Sciences Scholarship (2010-2011)
some less important ones and a few HS recognitions

EC's

Pre-Vet Society
Honors Program
Golden Key National Honor Society
National Society for Leadership & Success
Delta Tau Alpha, National Agricultural Honor Society
GrassKickers (Intramural Soccer Team)- Freshman Year (Co-Captain)
Chi-Alpha Christian Fellowship
Dorm Hall Council- Co-Event Coordinator
FFA (High School)
Soccer (HS)
Pre-Med Club (HS)

Community Service: Not going to list all of them... but I estimate ~100-150 Hours or so.

--- I may have more to add but this is all that comes to mind right now. I think I'm mainly freaking out about the Last 45 Hour GPA and Science GPA. I'm hoping my post-bacc classes may help that in the end if all goes well. I'm plugging away on applications. I've gotten everything entered minus extracurricular activites/Community service. So far, I have 1 LOR finished, 2 to go. I have a pretty good personal statement rough draft (may just tweak it a bit before submitting). So, there ya go. Thanks. :luck:

So, here we go.. I'm entering the "oh my gosh, do I even stand a chance?" stage of applications. Just a little feedback would be great. [...] I think I'm mainly freaking out about the Last 45 Hour GPA and Science GPA. [...] I have a pretty good personal statement rough draft (may just tweak it a bit before submitting).

My only feedback would be to make sure you have a couple people review your rough draft. Everything else you listed gives the impression that you have it well under control.

I thought thats what they did but I wasn't positive... I'm not sure anyone is :p which is a shame, I'm pretty confident I'll get some amazing reference letters (I'm using a vet from each clinic... I've known them for like 5 years and my boss at the farm he loves me... he's the one that took me milking cows :D ) I would just be so upset if they didn't even look!!! I'm so nervous haha and self-doubting:scared:

You would be weird if you weren't terrified haha..pretty sure I developed an anxiety disorder in June while waiting for news. I hope for your sake that they do look at LORs in picking the top 200 :), some people have said that they do look at the whole package so who knows!

Okay, I'm new here, but I thought I'd see what anyone thought.

First time Applicant to UGA (SC contract)
20 years old, SC resident

Studying animal and veterinary sciences at Clemson University
All pre reqs will be satisfied by entry date if accepted

GPA
3.95-freshman year at UGA undergrad
4.0- Clemson
Science GPA: 3.97ish
GRE: 1310: 620 V, 690 Q, 4.0 A)

Experiences
Veterinary:
200 hours volunteering in kennels
512 hours Kennel worker
600 hours Veterinary Assistant (two hospitals combined--small animal and exotics)
70 hours volunteering with a large animal vet

Animal:
132 hours volunteering with a zoo--zookeeper assistant.

Awards/Honors
Palmetto Fellows scholarship
A few minor university scholarships
Dean's list

ECs--college only
Pre-Veterinary Club
Dairy Science Club

However, having serious issues with bringing a personal statement together.

Was volunteering in kennels and kennel worker with a vet? Or shouldn't that be under animal experience?

I'm really hoping to get those grades when I'm applying in the future. :)

I worked the kennels at a veterinary practice where I also did restraints and ran tests. I still got the experience of how the practice runs and everything.

Oh ok. Never mind then. Ignore what I said. haha :)

Your stats sound awesome! :thumbup: I'd focus on writing a good PS and getting some good eLORs and you should be good to go. Only thing is how many prerecs do you have left? The only setback I see for you is if you have a significant number left to complete or haven't taken upper level science classes yet.

I have only finished basic biology and organic chemistry, but I will be taking biochemistry, genetics, animal health, animal nutrition, and animal an &phys this upcoming semester. I was told that not having the upper levels yet could work a little against me but it looks good that I made A's in o chem both semesters. Hopefully they were right!

Yes I have.. I forgot about that science. I have taken everything except my biochemistry and upper level biology courses.

I think you are in pretty good shape. I wouldn't worry too much, just focus on getting everything done and done well.

Hello everyone!

First time applicant and c/o 2016 hopeful here, and I have just one thing that is really bothering me... I didn't decide I wanted to go vet med until my junior year of college so my sheer number of vet/animal experience hours has just not reached the averages in the 1000's that I have been seeing on some schools statistics. So I guess my question is- quality over quantity? I have had very hands on experience with many different species but will this matter or do schools have a sheer number of hours they look for before even considering admitting someone?

Sincerely, stressin.out. :oops:

Don't get too stressed out. I was accepted with just around 1000 hours of veterinary experience and around 200 hours of animal experience. While I wasn't accepted to ALL of the schools I applied to like some people are lucky enough to experience, one acceptance is all you need! I think as long as you show commitment to the field and that you're working towards gaining more experience, you have done a good job. No matter what, there will always be someone with more hours, a higher GPA, higher GREs, etc. Your application will be strong for reasons another person's might not be.

Do what you can in your PS and other essays to illustrate your strengths and what you have gained from the experience you do have. Make sure your LORs are being written by people who can attest to your work ethic and drive to succeed in vet med. The best thing to do throughout this process is to STAY POSITIVE. It will show through in your essays and in your interviews!

Best of luck.

Don't get too stressed out.

This.

It's easy to become overwhelmed and think, "Geez, I don't have that many. Should I even apply?" If you have a few hundred hours, sure you're not quite up to par with the average, but it's not insignificant either. Do your research and figure out how you can be most competitive with the opportunities you have. Plus, when you apply, you can always update schools with any new experiences you've had after you hit the submit button.

I applied with about 700 hours (I think... maybe not even that much) and got in, but I tailored my experience to what my in-state likes. Mizzou prefers students with more breadth (range of experiences - small, food, equine, other) than depth (lots of hours in just one area), so that's what I did. I shadowed multiple mixed-animal vets, an avian vet, and a small animal vet, which made me competitive for their standards. If I had applied somewhere else that wants you to have a lot of experience in the are you want to pursue, I might not have done so well.

I only applied to my IS school, and I had a bit more than 400 vet hours. I had 48 hours shadowing an equine doc, and one *day* shadowing a large-animal doc. So not really much in the way of variety. (My remaining hours were all SA and were split between canine rehab at our teaching hospital, and shadowing a SA doc.)

Variety is an excellent goal, and more hours are obviously better, but don't get so focused on comparing yourself to the people on the upper end of the spectrum that you talk yourself out of thinking you're competitive. There's much more to the application than just your experience, so you have plenty of other ways to stand out.

Hello everyone!

First time applicant and c/o 2016 hopeful here, and I have just one thing that is really bothering me... I didn't decide I wanted to go vet med until my junior year of college so my sheer number of vet/animal experience hours has just not reached the averages in the 1000's that I have been seeing on some schools statistics. So I guess my question is- quality over quantity? I have had very hands on experience with many different species but will this matter or do schools have a sheer number of hours they look for before even considering admitting someone?

I had about 1400 vet hours and 600 animal hours. And my experience wasn't even diverse (only vet experience was SA/exotics - zero experience with LA/food/zoo/research)! I was really stressed about this as well since my experience was definitely the weakest part of my app, but I did mention that I wanted to be a SA vet so I think that's why it was okay. If I had said I wanted to go into equine with 0 vet experience in that field, they would've thrown out my app. So just make sure you get experience in the field you want to go into.

I had about 1400 vet hours and 600 animal hours. And my experience wasn't even diverse (only vet experience was SA/exotics - zero experience with LA/food/zoo/research)! I was really stressed about this as well since my experience was definitely the weakest part of my app, but I did mention that I wanted to be a SA vet so I think that's why it was okay. If I had said I wanted to go into equine with 0 vet experience in that field, they would've thrown out my app. So just make sure you get experience in the field you want to go into.

thats probably what i would like is small animal vet.............i was just going to focus on shadowing for that ..............do you think that would hurt me instead of diversifying?

thats probably what i would like is small animal vet.............i was just going to focus on shadowing for that ..............do you think that would hurt me instead of diversifying?

I think the bulk of your vet experience should be SA if you're going to declare an interest in it but getting diversity couldn't hurt either. The only reason I have so little diversity is because I live in the middle of suburbia with no car and the closest LA/food/zoo vet is at least a 1.5-2 h drive away :(. So if non-SA options are available to you, definitely pursue them because it can only help you to show diversity on your app. I was just telling you about my experience to show that not having diversity doesn't mean you're automatically disqualified :).

I'm just looking for some feedback on my chances. I'm not sure if I even have a shot this year. So here goes:

Graduated from Purdue in Biology
GPA: 2.98
GRE 1090
(pretty crappy academic stats)

Experiences:
Currently working FT at the Salk Institute as a Lab Animal Technician
15000+ hrs small animal veterinary experience (7 years at one practice)
15000+ hrs large animal veterinary experience (mostly horses, but also cows, goats, etc. from ambulatory vet, working on a ranch and race track over a few summers)
100 hours marine experience volunteering at an aquarium during college
700 hours laboratory animal experience

I have done a ton of volunteering in the community (Habitat for humanity, therapeutic horseback riding, and working in orphanages abroad)
I was also the President of a volunteering club and the Vice President of a community service honors society.

Any thoughts on my chances or good ideas of schools to apply to?? THANKS!

Hey, 26 year old non-traditional student. Took a year off working as a vet tech and am now going back to school to finish my last pre-req (physics ) and take some upper level science classes.

Overall GPA =3.36
Last 45 hour GPA = 2.56 :(

Vet experience= 5,534 ( vet-tech for mostly emergency clinics focused on dogs and cats, and 1.5 years working in an emergency/neurology clinic which has been cool )

Animal Experience >5000 in mostly dogs, cats, and goats. I did 4H, raise puppies to be future guide dogs, some classes working with cows and horses and other farm animals, and worked at a boarding kennel.

I guess Im just really worried about my last 45 hour GPA. I started out with great grades then I had a bad summer and year... Pulled things kinda together the last semester and graduated and took time off and worked as a vet tech. ( I also worked starting a little before things started to go down hill while going to school...) I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have since gone on medications and I feel so much better! and ready to go back to school and be able to concentrate and learn.

Im taking 14 credits this semester and working full time, and am taking the GRE's soon. If/when I dont get in this year I'll take another mostly full time semester and that should increase my last 45 and overall GPA's. But with an average overall GPA and a lot of experience do you think I would be at all competitive this year?

The number one thing I can say is that you have to devote everything to doing well in your courses from here on out. You have to show admissions that you are turning over a new leaf. Your overall gpa is below average but still not bad but the last 45 is troubling as they might think you are going down hill. Depending on your financial situation, I would cut back on working as your experience is more than sufficient.

Second, get the highest GRE score possible to outweight the gpa's.

Yeah, not too thrilled about my GPA anymore... The classes I've signed up for this semester really interest me and health wise Im feeling much better so Im going to do my best. Im going to take pathophysiology, toxicology, molecular biology and physics ( because I never got around to taking it during my undergrad )

Do you think that the schools would look and see that I did really well almost all the way through and give me a chance for my Fall grades to prove that my last year was just a bad year?

Im feeling like I probably wont get in this year with my last 45 hours being that horrible, but I'd like to see what happens. Next year I think I would be a stronger candidate.

I'm in the process of trying to change my hours from overnights to swing shifts which would put me on a normal sleep cycle which I think would help me with classes. Fall/winter is usually slower so I'd probably end up with a few less hours, I can see if they'd consider dropping me to barely full time ( 30 hours ) I agree, working less would probably help.

Thanks for the input :)

Do you think that the schools would look and see that I did really well almost all the way through and give me a chance for my Fall grades to prove that my last year was just a bad year?

They're going to do the academic assessment based on the grades you actually turn in on your application; classes from this fall aren't going to help this go around. So no, I don't think that's likely.

With the last 45 GPA, I think you ought to expect that your chances this cycle are not very good, even though you have tons of great experience. That experience, though, does mean that if you can do really well this fall and next spring you could be reasonably positioned for the app cycle starting in fall 2012.

Hey guys, can I still pick your brains on how I'm looking for this application cycle?

23 y/o first time applicant, LA resident, applying to UGA, A&M, LSU, and OK State.

Graduated in 2010 w/ BS in Biology. Planned to go to med school, then realized I didn't really want to. Happened upon a job at a SA vet clinic as a Vet Tech. Life's passion to be a veterinarian, totally reignited.

GRE: 1100
Q 560 (I suck at timed math)
V 550
AW: 5.0

Unfortunately, I'm taking it again on 29 September, but only LSU will accept the new form this cycle.

CUM GPA @ graduation (2010): 3.42
probable CUM GPA @ end of Fall '11: 3.44
Last 45 GPA @ fall '11: 3.66
SciGPA: 3.42ish

Experience:
(veterinary)
3600 hrs at 2 SA clinics
30 hours for a LA Veterinary Techniques course
8 hrs shadowing a SA surgery specialist

(Animal)
3000 hours being a farm hand
3000 hours being a camp counselor

(Employment)
1000 hrs at a human hospital

Extra Curriculars:
Pre-Med society (AED) and
Habitat for Humanity junior/senior years
Gay-Straight Alliance fresh/soph years (what are everyone's thoughts about including this?)
SADD and BETA Club in HS
Horseback riding and SCUBA diving as hobbies
Assisting in Therapeutic Horseback Riding

Awards/Honors:
State-issued scholarship and univ-issued scholarship (academic)
Favorite Counselor several times (at the camps I worked at during middle and high school)
Valedictorian at my HS

Any suggestions on what I shouldn't include? I'm really not sure about including the GSA thing because of the closed-mindedness of so many Southern states.

I'm getting my advisor and several others to read over my PS, so (although right NOW I'm not terribly confident in my PS) I think it will rock in the end. Speaking of PS, what are you guys' thoughts on including the career-path change from med school to vet school (does it make me seem wishy washy, or like this decision was well-thought out?).

ELoR's are from:
Both doctors at each SA clinic I've worked at (4)
A HS English teacher
The owner/operator of the farm I rode/worked at

I think they will all be pretty good. :)

Thoughts and/or comments/suggestions? I really appreciate it, guys!

twelvetigers might be able to answer this better, but OK State might take that new GRE score after you take it- I seem to recall their deadline being mid January for GRE scores. Something to check into.

Status
Not open for further replies.