This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are my chances?

• Great!

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Good, but some areas could be improved

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • You're a pretty average candidate, so it could go either way

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • Not great, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Have you considered under water basket weaving?

Votes: 68 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks....I just see people up-thread wringing their hands over 3.6 and 3.7 GPAs....I'd kill for that :( I know I'm a long shot with my undergrad grades, especially with TAMU who uses a sorting software to "rank" applicants prior to interview offers. I did use the Explanation portion to discuss those grades, but if no one reads that, I'm screwed. I feel like my experience and familiarity of the profession make me a desirable candidate...I just played around too much as an undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks....I just see people up-thread wringing their hands over 3.6 and 3.7 GPAs....I'd kill for that :( I know I'm a long shot with my undergrad grades, especially with TAMU who uses a sorting software to "rank" applicants prior to interview offers. I did use the Explanation portion to discuss those grades, but if no one reads that, I'm screwed. I feel like my experience and familiarity of the profession make me a desirable candidate...I just played around too much as an undergrad.

Considering your strengths, I'm sure they will look at the explanation portion.

Although I'd recommend changing your train of thought from 'playing around as an undergrad' to 'making thoughtless mistakes that I have since learned from tremendously' so on so forth, something about 'focusing my efforts on preparing myself for an academically rigorous program.' Or something.

Y'know, that whole sell yourself thing. =) If you really think it, then there's no way it's going to come out in your writing.

Hi!
I’m a senior (graduate in 2012), first time applicant, 21 years old. I’ll graduate with a BS in Biology, and I’m applying to Virginia Maryland (in-state), North Carolina, University of Pennsylvania, Auburn, and University of Tennessee.

Total GPA is 3.83
Last 45: 3.82
GRE: 1350 (Q:720, V:630, W: 5.0)

Experience:
Small animal general practice: 1827 hours
Small animal emergency: 90 hours
Animal shelter volunteer: 3758 hours
Therapeutic riding center: 9 hours

Research:
Gastrointestinal Parasites of Lumholtz’s Tree Kangaroos (128 hours, possible publishing, presented at scientific conference)
The Correlation between the Presence of Algae-eating Red Sea Urchins and the Health of Coral Reefs in St. John, US Virgin Islands (48 hours, presented at scientific conference)
Antimicrobial Properties of the Uropygial Gland in Waterfowl (In progress)

Scholarships/awards:
Honor roll: 6 semesters
Batten Scholarship for Leadership (full tuition)
Judith Gregory Smith award for Excellence in Science
Best Buy Scholarship for volunteering
Omnicrom Delta Kappa Honor society for Leadership
Black Belt in Karate
Calvert County Humane Society scholarship for pre-veterinary students

Activities
Martial Arts Club: Vice president- 3 semesters, president- 2 semesters
Student government: Senator: two semesters, Parliamentarian: two semesters, Senate Vice Chair: this year

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
You look like a strong applicant to me! Just make sure you spell "Omicron" Delta Kappa correctly. ;)

Considering your strengths, I'm sure they will look at the explanation portion.

Although I'd recommend changing your train of thought from 'playing around as an undergrad' to 'making thoughtless mistakes that I have since learned from tremendously' so on so forth, something about 'focusing my efforts on preparing myself for an academically rigorous program.' Or something.

Y'know, that whole sell yourself thing. =) If you really think it, then there's no way it's going to come out in your writing.

Totally forgot I'd posted in this thread. Oops.

Hopeful, I think the way I worded it in my PS was something along the lines of "my maturity level wavered" and that "attending graduate school was the best option for me" so I could "acquire knowledge from a different aspect of the agriculture industry". And that I am now pursuing the veterinary dream "with the utmost dedication". :D

Gosh, the amount of hours and the high GPAs are really intimidating me.

Current stats

Employment: 2005-2011
2008-2010 Worked as a respite provider to my brother and to other clients. I have experience in working with special needs children of all types and spectrums.

2005-2008 Worked at a internet clothing store called gojane.com

2010-present: Worked for multimedia services providing customer service, equipment check in/out, and printing thesis and posters for students.

2010-present: Working at mcdonalds. I am a grill girl jockey.

Volunteering
Petsmart cat adoptions and care: Estimating 40-60 hours.
Bunny Bunch SPCR: 30-40 hours
Westend Animal Shelter: 30 hours
Heartland Humane: 10-15 hours.
Clinical experience: 6 hours

School GPA: 2.9
Major: Animal Sciences
Minor: Fine art and business

School desired: Oregon State University
Specialized field: Small exotic mammals and general exotic avian/reptile medicine

Take note I wont apply for another 4 years. So it's a skeleton right now.

How much do they look on background? I haven't been able to study as hard or volunteer/shadow as much due to a number of events and things that have impacted my life. For 2 years I was playing the role of mommy for my autistic brother and dealing with my mom's harassment until she left me psychologically abused enough for me to leave (and to get me arrested, thats another story).

I suffer from extreme anxiety and possibly have ADHD. I have severe test anxiety, and its to the point where I can't even look or correct my own tests anymore without it ruining my day (and reason for my C's in some of my classes). I am currently awaiting for my results to come back to get an official diagnosis. I am currently also getting counseling and therapy for my anxiety.

In addition to my anxiety problems, I do not get help from my parents to pay for college. In order to make ends meet and pay for school I work 2 part time jobs, one on campus and the other at mcdonalds. I had to drop part time this year in order to be qualified for in-state tuition. I can't even afford to pay out of state full time, hence why its taking me a very long time to graduate.

My drives for being a veterinarian stem from the many cases of animal neglect I witnessed as a child growing up. (mostly pocket pets and one rabbit..still have nightmares about it) I specifically want to work with small exotic mammal companions, and have a general background treating avians and reptiles. I didn't grow up in a household that cared about animal welfare. My family would be the type that would appear as the bad guys on animal cops.

How do you guys rack up so many hours without being employed in an animal job? I feel like I can never get the amount due to my work schedule. Right now I am setting up shadowing appointments for about 10 hours a week, but I cant' do anymore than that until I get time off from school. I am a workhorse and can handle school full time, but I just can't go full time right now due to financial constraints.

If any OSU vet-peeps can chime in that would be awesome.

Gosh, the amount of hours and the high GPAs are really intimidating me.

Current stats

Employment: 2005-2011
2008-2010 Worked as a respite provider to my brother and to other clients. I have experience in working with special needs children of all types and spectrums.

2005-2008 Worked at a internet clothing store called gojane.com

2010-present: Worked for multimedia services providing customer service, equipment check in/out, and printing thesis and posters for students.

2010-present: Working at mcdonalds. I am a grill girl jockey.

Volunteering
Petsmart cat adoptions and care: Estimating 40-60 hours.
Bunny Bunch SPCR: 30-40 hours
Westend Animal Shelter: 30 hours
Heartland Humane: 10-15 hours.
Clinical experience: 6 hours

School GPA: 2.9
Major: Animal Sciences
Minor: Fine art and business

School desired: Oregon State University
Specialized field: Small exotic mammals and general exotic avian/reptile medicine

Take note I wont apply for another 4 years. So it's a skeleton right now.

How much do they look on background? I haven't been able to study as hard or volunteer/shadow as much due to a number of events and things that have impacted my life. For 2 years I was playing the role of mommy for my autistic brother and dealing with my mom's harassment until she left me psychologically abused enough for me to leave (and to get me arrested, thats another story).

I suffer from extreme anxiety and possibly have ADHD. I have severe test anxiety, and its to the point where I can't even look or correct my own tests anymore without it ruining my day (and reason for my C's in some of my classes). I am currently awaiting for my results to come back to get an official diagnosis. I am currently also getting counseling and therapy for my anxiety.

In addition to my anxiety problems, I do not get help from my parents to pay for college. In order to make ends meet and pay for school I work 2 part time jobs, one on campus and the other at mcdonalds. I had to drop part time this year in order to be qualified for in-state tuition. I can't even afford to pay out of state full time, hence why its taking me a very long time to graduate.

My drives for being a veterinarian stem from the many cases of animal neglect I witnessed as a child growing up. (mostly pocket pets and one rabbit..still have nightmares about it) I specifically want to work with small exotic mammal companions, and have a general background treating avians and reptiles. I didn't grow up in a household that cared about animal welfare. My family would be the type that would appear as the bad guys on animal cops.

How do you guys rack up so many hours without being employed in an animal job? I feel like I can never get the amount due to my work schedule. Right now I am setting up shadowing appointments for about 10 hours a week, but I cant' do anymore than that until I get time off from school. I am a workhorse and can handle school full time, but I just can't go full time right now due to financial constraints.

If any OSU vet-peeps can chime in that would be awesome.

My advice would be to focus on your studies for a while. You have enough veterinary hours to know that you enjoy the field, so I would focus on your grades right now. You will need more veterinary & animal hours before you apply, but your gpa will be the hardest thing to repair. A 2.9 gpa is going to drag down your application. I would aim high, but you need to get over 3.0 at the least.

Freja, you have so many years ahead of you before you apply, that I don't think anyone can give you any good indications as to your eligibility for vet school.

I think it's wonderful that you have so many varied employment outside of vet med. That will be a definite plus on your application. And to answer your question, yes, vet school admissions committees will certainly take into account extenuating circumstances you've had in your life. That being said, it's more like they'll overlook your past with cautious lenses due to these circumstances as long as you can demonstrate that you are now able to take on vet school as well as a career in vet med. It sounds like you're currently working on making that transition from not performing well due to particular issues, to figuring out how to fix them so that you can flourish. That's a great thing, and I really wish you the best of luck. I would continue to focus on improving those things so that you can eventually have semesters in school where you are able to knock out great grades.

No matter how much you care about animals, and no matter how well you interact with them, vet schools will not take you unless you can convince them that you can take on the academic rigors of vet school. You will need to prove at some point that you can get great semester GPA's consistently in order for vet schools to overlook your past performance. So first and foremost, concentrate on that before you worry about racking up thousands of hours of experience. Unless you can really improve your GPA and do really well on your GRE's chances are, you may need to apply a couple of times (or just wait a little) before you get accepted. So you don't need to rack up all your hours now. You can always get full time employment in the vet field after you're done with school to bump up those hours. That being said, it sounds like almost all of your experience hours are in animal rescues, and I'm guessing a lot of it is in animal care, rather than veterinary care. You might want to work on getting more clinical vet experience (the broader the types of vet experience, the better). You don't need to rack up a ton of hours, but it would be nice for you to get a few hours a week here and there to really get exposure to the field of vet med. Vet med can be pretty far from what you'd imagine it'd be from an animal rescue perspective. And you might even find that there are other aspects of animal rescue that you enjoy more than the vet aspect.

You don't need to elaborate on your arrest here if you're not comfortable, but that's something you will need to explain on your applications. It's probably not something to worry about too much if it was a misunderstanding, and it's in the records as such. But if it's not, it may be something that you need a lawyer to work out before you apply. Just something to keep in mind.

Best of luck to you! And if you have any specific questions that come up throughout your journey, don't be shy to post on the forum.

Hey all... it's a Friday afternoon and I'm ready for the weekend to start (and I'm bored doing data analysis) so I figured I'd post my stats:

Female, 26, Wisconsin

Undergrad: BS, Major in Biology, Minor in Chemistry
cGPA: 3.61
SciGPA: 3.42
Last45 GPA: 3.46

Grad: PhD in Endocrinology-Reproductive Physiology (intending to graduate in May 2012), GPA: 3.75

GRE: 610Q, 400V, 4.0W (I know it sucks, especially considering my previous GREs for getting accepted into grad school were 710Q, 570V, 5.0W... but alas that score is 3 months past the 5 year mark)

Veterinary/Scientist experience:
10,000 hours as graduate research assistant working with rhesus macaques... it's a mix of direct scientist and veterinary experience
27 hours shadowing a large animal vet who works with research cows
1200 hours as undergraduate research assistant working with rhesus macaques and their tissues... working directly with scientist
750 hours as vet tech at SA clinic
200 hours volunteering at another SA clinic

Animal experience:
120 hours at local humane society
1120 hours as lab animal tech at pharmaceutical company (worked with rodents, guinea pigs, rabbits, dogs, cats, cyno macaques)
30 hours at equine farm
750 as kennel tech at SA clinic

Honors:
2 first author papers in review (hopefully published by January), 3 other published papers (not first author)
9 poster/oral presentations at local, national, international meetings
NIH graduate training grant
4 travel awards for meetings
NSF graduate research honorable mention
Endocrinology summer research fellow (UG research)
VP and treasurer for UG biology club
treasurer and co-founder for UG pre-vet club
UG honors college scholarship
Principle 2nd violinist for UG orchestra

Activities
Grad seminar, curriculum, and focus group committees
Judge for local science fair
UG tennis club
UG orchestra
UG biology and pre-vet clubs

Interest: laboratory animal veterinary medicine

Schools applied: WI (my #1 choice b/c WI rocks!!!!), Auburn, Purdue, UTK

Hopefully I won't jinx myself by posting my stats before acceptances are sent.

Female, 26, Wisconsin

10,000 hours as graduate research assistant working with rhesus macaques...

Sure, you have the stats to get accepted (or at least get an interview at the places doing interviews).

I have to admit to having my attention drawn to the 10,000 and 26 years old with a BS and PhD. Since 10,000 hours is essentially 5 years of full-time work, I'm wondering how you accumulated it all by 26 years old along with the degrees and the rest of the experience you listed. It seems a bit of a stretch. Are you certain you aren't stretching that number (though presumably that research work was while you were doing your doctoral)?

If not, then good on ya and g'luck with the application! But the one thing you don't want to do is exaggerate your experience.

Sure, you have the stats to get accepted (or at least get an interview at the places doing interviews).

I have to admit to having my attention drawn to the 10,000 and 26 years old with a BS and PhD. Since 10,000 hours is essentially 5 years of full-time work, I'm wondering how you accumulated it all by 26 years old along with the degrees and the rest of the experience you listed. It seems a bit of a stretch. Are you certain you aren't stretching that number (though presumably that research work was while you were doing your doctoral)?

If not, then good on ya and g'luck with the application! But the one thing you don't want to do is exaggerate your experience.

I started the PhD soon after turning 22 and have been working around 60 hours a week for the PhD, I'm not finished yet, but I'm supposed to graduate in May 2012. I know it seems like a lot of hours, but I work 10-11 hour 4 days a week, plus a 16 hour day (due to animals stuff) every week, and usually a few hours on the weekend. I calculated the 10,000 based on 60 hours a week and I even subtracted 1 month for each of the years for holidays/etc.... if my advisor had it her way I'd been working 12 hours a day 6 days a week, plus the 16 hour day... but I need a little bit more of a break than that.

Before I started the PhD, I had acquired all of the other listed vet/animal experience except for the research cow and humane society stuff while I was in either high school or undergrad.

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Illinois and I'd like some advice. I came into college with the plan to go to vet school, but I guess I got intimated and decided to drop the idea. So instead I've been planning on going to Optometry school for the past few years. I recently started volunteering at the animal shelter and I'm quickly realizing I'd like to pursue vet school, and if I don't I fear I will regret it. I'm wondering what my chances of acceptance are. I will have to take two years off, take the GRE and Orgo II and get experience. I was thinking of maybe taking a veterinarian assistant class that is offerred at my community college. Below are my stats. Any advice would be appreciated!

Degree: Molecular and Cellular Biology, Psychology
Cum GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.25 (probably higher after this year because I still have a lot of upper level biology classes to take for my degree this/next semester)
Extracurriculars: volunteering at the hospital, a group leader for Panhellenic formal recruitment, a psych research student (running fMRIs, subject recruitment etc.), working at the Main Library for two years, Hope for Vision
Experience: So far I've volunteered at the animal shelter and next semester I'm going to be a lab tech at the shelter.

I know this is not a lot to go on since I don't have a lot of experience...but I guess I'm mainly worried that my GPA is too low.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is not a lot to go on since I don't have a lot of experience...but I guess I'm mainly worried that my GPA is too low.

It's not too low, though it's on the lower side of average. Don't let that discourage you, though, if you really want to pursue it. You're right about experience: you'll need to gain quite a bit, and with at least some variety.

For someone in your position, you need to take the long view and realize that successfully applying is probably a few years off. Once you get your head wrapped around that, you can put together a plan to spend those couple years doing what will maximize your application (whether it's classes to finish out pre-reqs, gaining veterinary experience, or whatever).

Before I started the PhD, I had acquired all of the other listed vet/animal experience except for the research cow and humane society stuff while I was in either high school or undergrad.

Excellent - then all you need to do is be a real human being for an interview. :)

I'd be prepared for some schools to ask about those hours for the same reason I did. I'd also be prepared to be surrounded by vet students who want to be clinicians. We have a few people interested in pure research paths, but they are the minority. I am not speaking for them, since I'm not in that group, but it looks to me like the more clinical orientation of our academic path in general gets a few of them down sometimes. Best of luck!!

Last edited:
So I've been lurking for a while, but figure it's finally time to post! I'm planning on applying next year, so I figure now's a good time to get some feedback on my weaknesses!

20 year old female, RI resident (One of the 4 states that doesn't contract...)

Working towards a major in Wildlife and Conservation Biology with a Minor in Animal Science and will graduate 2013

Cum GPA: 3.78
Science GPA:3.6 (Chem at my university really sucks, all my bio grades are A's, chem brings it down a bit)
I'm in Anat/Physiology and Genetics this semester and am getting A's in both of those.
Still have physics, Orgo 2, Biochem, and maybe Micro to take

Haven't taken the GRE's yet but it looks like my scores will be someplace around 740Q and 600V from the practice tests I've taken

Veterinary Experience:
- 1500 hours experience wildlife - I work really closely with the vet who volunteers her time and get to do cool things like amputate squirrel tails and reattach turtle feet.
- 600 hours small animal (currently a tech, so I'll have a lot more hours at application)

Animal Experience:
- 3000 hours fostering puppies and kittens every summer
- 1300 hours wildlife rehab at home (squirrels, opossum, owls, rabbits, songbirds, pigeons/doves, etc)
- 100 hours volunteering at a sloth rescue/rehab center in Costa Rica
- 7 years worth of horse back riding

Research:
I had a few internships in high school, one with using switch grass for ethanol, another that was more just for gaining lab experience testing the affects of different large molecules on DNA. The two together probably accumulated 70 hours of experience.
I also have 10 hours surveying for New England Cottontail in RI (read: hunting for rabbit poop in freezing weather and snow)

Extra-Curriculars:
- Not really anything to note here, I have a few hobbies like pottery, art, ukulele, guitar, piano, knitting, otherwise not a whole lot. There isn't a lot of time between a full time class schedule and work.
- Animal and vet science club at school

Awards:
Dean's list every semester
Recipient of Centennial scholarship at URI

I'm trying to get some Large animal/Equine vet experience this summer, otherwise I may try to do a research internship or one at a zoo/aquarium.

My top schools right now are Wisconsin and Mizzou. I'm really trying to go as cheaply as possible (like cheap exists with vet school...) I also really like Cornell and Tufts though.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to improve my application? I feel like my stats are pretty decent and I think I'll interview well, so fingers are crossed!

Last edited:
Looks good to me. I would try to get some other experiences. You have a good amount of wildife veterinary experience which will make you stand out along with SA but it would be a really good idea to get some other areas of experience in there as well, I would recommend large animal as you said you were looking at.

Wisconsin is extremely difficult to get into if you look at OOS applicants but mizzou is a good choice.

My plan if I assume you want to be a wildlife vet is to focus mostly on wildlife experiences and to supplement them with other areas of vetmed. Schools differ on whether they want breadth or depth but I always preferred to have the most experience in my area of interest and then supplement it with experiences in other areas. For me I want to pursue large animal and most of the hours are large animal but I have a decent amount of small animal hours.

Last edited:
Mizzou is a school that favors variety of experiences over depth in one area. They have an admissions formula and you get "full points" if you have 100 quality veterinary hours in small animal, food animal, and equine. So someone with 300 hours divided between those three fields would get more points than someone with 1,000 hours of just small animal work. So, try for 100 hours in each field, and then after that any additional hours in your area of interest are icing on the cake for Mizzou/more important at other schools.

Looks good to me. I would try to get some other experiences. You have a good amount of wildife veterinary experience which will make you stand out along with SA but it would be a really good idea to get some other areas of experience in there as well, I would recommend large animal as you said you were looking at.

Wisconsin is extremely difficult to get into if you look at OOS applicants but mizzou is a good choice.

My plan if I assume you want to be a wildlife vet is to focus mostly on wildlife experiences and to supplement them with other areas of vetmed. Schools differ on whether they want breadth or depth but I always preferred to have the most experience in my area of interest and then supplement it with experiences in other areas. For me I want to pursue large animal and most of the hours are large animal but I have a decent amount of small animal hours.

Great advice, thanks! Despite (or perhaps because of) my experience in wildlife, I doubt I'll do anything in vet med with it. I'll probably end up in small animal, though I've always loved working with horses, so who knows, maybe I'll end up in equine. I'm really open at this point with the exception of not wanting to go into wildlife/exotics. Which is strange since my back up career is wildlife biology haha.

Mizzou is a school that favors variety of experiences over depth in one area. They have an admissions formula and you get "full points" if you have 100 quality veterinary hours in small animal, food animal, and equine. So someone with 300 hours divided between those three fields would get more points than someone with 1,000 hours of just small animal work. So, try for 100 hours in each field, and then after that any additional hours in your area of interest are icing on the cake for Mizzou/more important at other schools.

Also a fantastic piece of info! Thanks a bunch!

Great advice, thanks! Despite (or perhaps because of) my experience in wildlife, I doubt I'll do anything in vet med with it. I'll probably end up in small animal, though I've always loved working with horses, so who knows, maybe I'll end up in equine. I'm really open at this point with the exception of not wanting to go into wildlife/exotics. Which is strange since my back up career is wildlife biology haha.

Also a fantastic piece of info! Thanks a bunch!

You also need to decide what area of vetmed your interested in. You dont want schools to think you are unsure of yourself, saying in your personal statement you are open to many areas of vetmed is not going to work in my opinion. Definetly make a decision on an area you want to pursue and go with that in terms of your experiences.

You also need to decide what area of vetmed your interested in. You dont want schools to think you are unsure of yourself, saying in your personal statement you are open to many areas of vetmed is not going to work in my opinion. Definetly make a decision on an area you want to pursue and go with that in terms of your experiences.

Really? I haven't applied yet, so I don't necessarily have any real experience with how things in a personal statement work out in terms of acceptances, but I think saying, yes, I have this experience, but also these interests (as long as there's something to back up that interest experience-wise, even if it isn't the majority of your experience) isn't going to necessarily hurt you. Sure, saying you really really want to do, say, equine med, but have no experience with horses will likely work against you, but I can't see how an open mind would be considered disadvantageous. Most of my vet experience when I apply will be traditional small animal clinic medicine, so this will be what I know most, but I also know there are a lot of other areas out there (specialization, large animal, government work, pathology, etc.) that I haven't had a chance to experience, and may turn out to love--I won't necessarily say I'm interested in these things, but, and this is may be getting a little sidetracked from the originally point, is it necessary to declare a specific interest within the general vet med area as part of a personal statement (since there is so much that most of us never really have a chance for as pre-vets)? I think deciding on an area you want to pursue and going with that in terms of experiences seems almost backwards to me--I'm not sure how to decide what area I want to pursue without having experienced many other options.

Then again, I'd also fall on the side of getting breadth as opposed to depth as part of pre-vet experiences.

to all current and future pre-vetters, here is my advice to you: have faith in yourself.

if you read my previous post on this thread, my stats are so not the "typical competitive pre-vet applicant". from comparing myself with the "successful" people and reading some feedback from others about my chances sometimes made me feel as if I had no chance at all and was just really disheartening at times.....but guess what? i didn't care. instead of being the "average" pre-vet applicant, i wanted to be the exception. dig deep and you'll see that you are capable of so much more than what you or anyone else thinks.

having said that, i applied to 10 schools. my motto for this whole process was to expect the worse and hope for the best. so far i have received an interview invite for one school. i was so happy and ecstatic...thinking, omg, if one school likes me, then there really is hope that other schools might like me too! so yeah, trust me, don't let anyone -family, friends, vets, SDNers- tell you that you're not "good enough". because in the end it comes down to what you believe of yourself...and then selling it in your personal statement (with the addition of awesome LORs) :]

I need to rephrase what I said: you wont necessarily be at a disadvantage if you say you have an open mind. I personally would feel uncomfortable not putting down a definitive area of interest and several of the supplemental applications I have filled out have a section where you have to choose a area of interest from a list. I am not sure if that implies they want to see a designated interest or not, but they have you do it for a reason. Granted I know your interests before vet school can change and does for many people.

I need to rephrase what I said: you wont necessarily be at a disadvantage if you say you have an open mind. I personally would feel uncomfortable not putting down a definitive area of interest and several of the supplemental applications I have filled out have a section where you have to choose a area of interest from a list. I am not sure if that implies they want to see a designated interest or not, but they have you do it for a reason. Granted I know your interests before vet school can change and does for many people.

I think you make a good point. To be a little clearer, what I mean is that my interests at this point lie in small animal, but I'm open to them changing. While I have a lot of experience with horses, I haven't had any in vetmed, nor have I had experience in govn't, research, zoo setting, or large animal. I can't say for sure without extensive experience that I definitely don't want to pursue any one of those fields. And frankly, I may not get enough experience to be able to decide before vet school. I know there are some schools that want you to declare some sort of interest upon application, but I'm sure those same schools know that it might not be the area you end up in. That being said, I would imagine you really can declare whatever you want, no one's going to hold you to it.
I think if I were completely wishy washy and really not showing any interest in one field that would be disadvantageous. But if I play it more as a here's what I'm interested in, but am open to that changing, I can't see that being a problem. Regardless, these are the things I need to think about, I really appreciate the feed back!

jtom, I pretty much agree with your rephrasing, especially the part about appearing wishy-washy and think that the difference between being wishy-washy and open-minded is really important.
I completely understand why schools are curious as to what area their applicants are interested in, though hope every school gets that some students will change their mind, even if many don't. (Though I imagine many professors hope students will change their mind to focus in that professor's main interest!)

is it necessary to declare a specific interest within the general vet med area as part of a personal statement (since there is so much that most of us never really have a chance for as pre-vets)?
I think that as a general rule, schools want to see that you have a bit more of a goal than just "I want to be a DVM." Being open to changing is good, and everyone IN vet school understands that people come in with one thing in mind and many change their minds, but when it comes to applications you want to leave them with the impression that you have purpose, intention, a goal, a plan, etc.

I completely understand why schools are curious as to what area their applicants are interested in, though hope every school gets that some students will change their mind, even if many don't. (Though I imagine many professors hope students will change their mind to focus in that professor's main interest!)

Teachers definitely do that, and it's a good thing because it shows they're actually invested in their particular field.

24yo, female, Oregon resident

B.A. in psychology with a minor in organic chemistry

cGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.52
Last 45 cGPA: 3.83

GRE: 167V, 159Q, 4.0W
(percentile equivalent to 720V, 750Q, so 1470 total)

Animal experience:
- 500 hours shelter volunteer
- 200 hours working on farm

Veterinary experience:
- Still in progress

Other stuff:
- Hospice volunteer
- Worked 20-40 hours a week in disability services throughout undergrad
- Run a pet photography business
- Clinical psychology research assistant
- Studied abroad for a year

Grades-wise I had a big rough patch during my junior year where I got a bunch of no pass marks. I've had a strong upward trend since then but I got a C and C+ in organic chemistry. I did retake both terms and got A+'s though.

I'm not sure if it's going to be worth applying once I accumulate enough veterinary experience or if I should take additional upper division biology courses to further bolster my GPA. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's going to be worth applying once I accumulate enough veterinary experience or if I should take additional upper division biology courses to further bolster my GPA. Any advice would be appreciated.

Your GPA is already in the realm of reasonable, so if you're otherwise ready and wanting to apply, you should do so once you have the necessary vet experience. Some of your extra-curriculars were pretty intriguing, too. Be sure to draw on them for your personal statement and/or interview.

undergraduate B.S. 2.69 cGPA
graduate school MPH 3.22 GPA + dissertation
Work experience: 3 years of working with a small animal veterinarian and 4 years working as a public health official.
GRE score 1160 on the first try.
applied to 4 schools
Univ of Florida, Tufts, Tuskegee, and Ross. Do I have a shot of getting in anywhere?:xf:

I don't know those schools' specific evaluation process. Did you choose them because the way they evaluate people best matches up with your strengths?

You clearly don't want a place that's going to look at that cumulative UG GPA, because unfortunately that's not very competitive. There are places that only look at your pre-req courses GPA along with a most recent (often 45 credits, I think) GPA. If those GPAs are better then you'll have better luck.

The work experience is certainly compelling. It's a really nice combo of two important areas of vet med.

Numbers (GPA) don't tell the whole story but unfortunately that's what some schools look at the most. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get in somewhere.

Numbers don't tell the whole story, but schools don't have a whole lot else to go on, and people do better if they accept it and do what they can to improve their standing - which sounds like exactly what you're doing by retaking some classes. There's a whole lot of people who wouldn't do that and would just go with wishful thinking ("oh, they'll look beyond that and see my other wonderful qualities....."). The fact is they do need applicants to prove themselves academically.

That said, schools evaluate people differently, and if you're already thinking about paying OOS tuition it would be smart to investigate individual schools' processes so you can find the ones that favor you the most. If you can't get the info online, don't hesitate to call them and say "Would you walk me through your evaluation process?"

Purdue University senior

Overall, science, last 45 GPA ~ all around 3.90

GPA : V.690 Q.770 W.3.5 (i suck at writing)

vet experience ~250 hrs

animal experience

- 3 different research project with live animals ~350 hr
- wildlife center intern ~150 hr

Applied to a lot of schools! my top choices are Purdue, U penn, Tufts, Illinois, Wisconsin

Other schools I applied are : Iowa, Western, Michigan, Mississippi, Minnesota

Do you think my stat will get me into any schools?

Purdue University senior

Overall, science, last 45 GPA ~ all around 3.90

GPA : V.690 Q.770 W.3.5 (i suck at writing)

vet experience ~250 hrs

animal experience

- 3 different research project with live animals ~350 hr
- wildlife center intern ~150 hr

Applied to a lot of schools! my top choices are Purdue, U penn, Tufts, Illinois, Wisconsin

Other schools I applied are : Iowa, Western, Michigan, Mississippi, Minnesota

Do you think my stat will get me into any schools?
You obviously have a great GPA and test scores, but I don't know how much your light experience will hurt you...? Each school is different in that aspect too... best of luck!

Okay, I am pretty insecure about my stats... be gentle :(

Cum GPA: 3.46
Last 45: 3.34 (transferred my junior year and didn’t adjust so well... heh)
Science: 3.6
(Should all be higher after this semester.. not like that matter!)

GRE: 1150 I took it twice too *sigh* lol

Vet Experience:
1000 hrs working as a vet tech/receptionist at small mixed practice clinic

Animal Experience:
500 hrs volunteering at a local humane society
160 hrs volunteering in Australia at a wildlife sanctuary
750 hrs working as a kennel employee

Research Experience:
1000 hrs working in a reproduction lab on campus
200 hrs working as a paid lab technician (same lab – just a summer job)
60 hrs training with a visiting veterinary from Spain – I learned how to do in vitro fertilization in mice! (again same lab… just another summer thing)

eLors:
Vet from where I work
Vet from Spain who I trained with this summer
My academic advisor
My labs PI

Schools I applied to: Tufts (my IS), Cornell (parents made me, I know I have no shot!), UPenn, Mich, Tenn, Purdue, Miss, Western, UFL, and WSU

Vet Experience:

What do you mean by vet tech/receptionist? Reading what you wrote I could see either, you worked as the receptionist and helped with some restraint or maybe just saw tech stuff happen? Or you worked as a tech and also did some receptionist duties.

Cool research stuff. Good luck!

What do you mean by vet tech/receptionist? Reading what you wrote I could see either, you worked as the receptionist and helped with some restraint or maybe just saw tech stuff happen? Or you worked as a tech and also did some receptionist duties.

Cool research stuff. Good luck!

The clinic I work for is so small that everyone does everything... I see how that can be kind of confusing when you read it :oops: there is 1 full time and 1 part time receptionist, and 1 full time and 1 part time technician... all other employees are trained both in the hospital and in reception and really just work wherever they are needed

Cum GPA: 3.46
Last 45: 3.34 (transferred my junior year and didn’t adjust so well... heh)
Science: 3.6
(Should all be higher after this semester.. not like that matter!)

GRE: 1150 I took it twice too *sigh* lol

Vet Experience:

Animal Experience:
500 hrs volunteering at a local humane society
160 hrs volunteering in Australia at a wildlife sanctuary
750 hrs working as a kennel employee

Research Experience:
1000 hrs working in a reproduction lab on campus
200 hrs working as a paid lab technician (same lab – just a summer job)
60 hrs training with a visiting veterinary from Spain – I learned how to do in vitro fertilization in mice! (again same lab… just another summer thing)

eLors:
Vet from where I work
Vet from Spain who I trained with this summer
My academic advisor
My labs PI

Schools I applied to: Tufts (my IS), Cornell (parents made me, I know I have no shot!), UPenn, Mich, Tenn, Purdue, Miss, Western, UFL, and WSU

Your stats remind me of mine:)
I just want to ask if there was a veterinarian in your repro lab. I work at a repro lab too, and your time there can be counted as veterinary hours if there's a vet there.
I am also curious about why you only list one vet experience when you have two LORs from vets at different places.
I've come to realize that success applying has a lot to do with how you represent yourself.
As someone who was denied last year with very similar stats I just want to give you some of the pointers that I received from the adcoms. Hopefully you will get in this year and not need them!!:luck: You also applied to a lot more schools than I did last year so you will have a better chance.

1. You have small animal covered as far as veterinary experience, so you might want to start trying to get large. Equine and bovine go a long way with showing that you have diversity.

2. Your Gpa looks fine. I don't know where you are in school, but if you havent graduated yet you can always try to get some great recent grades. Like I said though, I think you look alright there.

3. Your animal experience is large and varied so I would focus on vet experiences or even LA non-vet.

4. You don't say how your GRE score breaks down but if your quantitative score is low (like mine is;)) you might want to try to improve that. My verbal score rocks, but my Q score is below average and I think that is a major reason why Out of state schools pass over my application.

Good luck this year!! I think you are well on your way!

Your stats remind me of mine:)
I just want to ask if there was a veterinarian in your repro lab. I work at a repro lab too, and your time there can be counted as veterinary hours if there's a vet there.
I am also curious about why you only list one vet experience when you have two LORs from vets at different places.
I've come to realize that success applying has a lot to do with how you represent yourself.
As someone who was denied last year with very similar stats I just want to give you some of the pointers that I received from the adcoms. Hopefully you will get in this year and not need them!!:luck: You also applied to a lot more schools than I did last year so you will have a better chance.

1. You have small animal covered as far as veterinary experience, so you might want to start trying to get large. Equine and bovine go a long way with showing that you have diversity.

2. Your Gpa looks fine. I don't know where you are in school, but if you havent graduated yet you can always try to get some great recent grades. Like I said though, I think you look alright there.

3. Your animal experience is large and varied so I would focus on vet experiences or even LA non-vet.

4. You don't say how your GRE score breaks down but if your quantitative score is low (like mine is;)) you might want to try to improve that. My verbal score rocks, but my Q score is below average and I think that is a major reason why Out of state schools pass over my application.

Good luck this year!! I think you are well on your way!

Aw thanks!!

To be honest.. I think I made a HUGE mistake in my VMCAS (in terms of representing my experience)

I did not list the majority of my research experience, because it has been done through independent studies... and I feel like when they take a brief look at my application they won't realize how much research experience I really have! I mentioned it a bit in my explanation statement, and also hopefully my PI talked a bit about my research in his eLOR for me ;)

I didn't realize that research could be considered vet experience if there is a vet working in the lab! We have a visiting professor from Spain in our lab who is a veterinarian (taught me in-vitro), but he is only here for 1 year... so he hasn't been in the lab the whole time I have been there. Also, other than my training with in-vitro techniques I don't really work with him ever because my honors project is on something completely different.

In terms of my GRE my quant score was like 620.. I'm not really sure what is average (I should know that).

Last spring, I started shadowing a large animal vet, because a knew I needed more large animal experience... but then I had a few personal things happen (death in the family etc.) and it was just too much for me to handle at that time.. and then before I knew it I was applying to schools with no LA experience :( hopefully someone gives me the chance to prove myself!

Just wanted to post my stats and get some advice from you all about what I could work on over the next 8 months before I apply...

28 yr old male (Washington and Alabama resident due to military)
Prior School: US Navy Nuclear Machinist Mate "A" School; Nuclear Power School; Nuclear Prototype

Qualifications: Engine Room Supervisor; Quality Assurance Inspector; EPA R-114 Refrigerant Worker; Propulsion Gage Calibration; Submarine Warfare

Awards: 3 Pacific Fleet Admirals Letters; 1 Navy and Marine Corp Achievement Medal; 2 Good Conduct Medals; 2*Sailor of the Quarter
Current School: Microbiology major at University of Washington (Will have completed my major in under 3 years)
Overall GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.92 (Still have the last quarter of biochem left and 2 physics courses)

Animal Experience: 70 hours at Wildlife Shelter

Veterinary Experience: 300 hours (work at a clinic 10 hours per week) SA
30 hours Equine
Attended 2011 WSDOH Zoonotic and Vector Borne Disease Conference

Research Experience: 120 hours Environmental Impact of Carrier Availability (Puget Sound Naval Shipyard- basically did a bunch of data analysis and came up with cost effective means of streamlining and reducing waste stream produced while USN Carriers are in dry dock); Begin undergrad microbiology library research this winter with continuation of laboratory research in the spring and summer

Current Employment: USNR- Surgemain- Leading Petty Officer and STC Training Coordinator
Banfield Pet Hospital - Pet Nurse

Other Responsibilities: Mortgage; Wife; Newborn baby girl!; Dog

Last edited:
Just wanted to post my stats and get some advice from you all about what I could work on over the next 8 months before I apply...

28 yr old male (Washington and Alabama resident due to military)
Prior School: US Navy Nuclear Machinist Mate "A" School; Nuclear Power School; Nuclear Prototype

Qualifications: Engine Room Supervisor; Quality Assurance Inspector; EPA R-114 Refrigerant Worker; Propulsion Gage Calibration; Submarine Warfare

Awards: 3 Pacific Fleet Admirals Letters; 1 Navy and Marine Corp Achievement Medal; 2 Good Conduct Medals; 2*Sailor of the Quarter
Current School: Microbiology major at University of Washington (Will have completed my major in under 3 years)
Overall GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.92 (Still have the last quarter of biochem left and 2 physics courses)

Animal Experience: 70 hours at Wildlife Shelter

Veterinary Experience: 300 hours (work at a clinic 10 hours per week) SA
30 hours Equine
Attended 2011 WSDOH Zoonotic and Vector Borne Disease Conference

Research Experience: 120 hours Environmental Impact of Carrier Availability (Puget Sound Naval Shipyard- basically did a bunch of data analysis and came up with cost effective means of streamlining and reducing waste stream produced while USN Carriers are in dry dock); Begin undergrad microbiology library research this winter with continuation of laboratory research in the spring and summer

Current Employment: USNR- Surgemain- Leading Petty Officer and STC Training Coordinator
Banfield Pet Hospital - Pet Nurse

Other Responsibilities: Mortgage; Wife; Newborn baby girl!; Dog
You didn't post your GRE, you have a great GPA, would be nice if your GRE matches it.

Otherwise, animal and vet experience is your biggest issue. Since you will be adding another 300 hours, that gets you more reasonable in the vet experience area.

Question is, what type of vet med are you interested in. It is unclear from your post, and it might help to show that you have some focus (depending on the school). I would look for some more general animal experience there. Is it wildlife? or SA? or research? Just make sure you have an app that displays you have thought about it clearly. I get more the impression you are just trying to cover all the bases right now, and that might not cut it (but then again, it may!)

I want to specialize in pathology...so I'll use my research opportunities coming up over the next 3 quarters to add to that specific area...also I'll be shadowing at a veterinary pathology lab probably twice to three times a month...alot of that will just depend on how much time I have...

This entire thread has always bothered me a little. Not the part where we give applicants advice on what they might consider improving or addressing in their applications - that is fine - but the part where random folks out there seem to think that we have ANY idea what their chances are for admission into a veterinary school. We don't. I mean, I know *I* don't I'll tell you what an adcom might notice as a red flag (to the best of my knowledge) but no one really knows if you, random applicant, have "any chance" of getting in.

I'm not hating on anyone that's posted here - I definitely get where y'all are coming from! I just wanted to remind everyone that, in the end, no one knows. The only thing you can do is try your best and see what happens.

This entire thread has always bothered me a little. Not the part where we give applicants advice on what they might consider improving or addressing in their applications - that is fine - but the part where random folks out there seem to think that we have ANY idea what their chances are for admission into a veterinary school. We don't. I mean, I know *I* don't I'll tell you what an adcom might notice as a red flag (to the best of my knowledge) but no one really knows if you, random applicant, have "any chance" of getting in.

I'm not hating on anyone that's posted here - I definitely get where y'all are coming from! I just wanted to remind everyone that, in the end, no one knows. The only thing you can do is try your best and see what happens.

I agree. However, I think what most people are looking for is just some feedback on their profile. It's always nice to hear what other students and pre-vets think. I don't know... I definitely posted on here when I first joined SDN.
But yes, you never know what is going to happen, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

I am wondering how badly my low GRE score will hurt my chance of getting accepted. UF says that a high GPA (mine is 3.79) will make up for a low GRE (mine was 950...terrible...I don't do all that well on those tests:(). Is my GRE score still much too low?

Secondly, if I do not get accepted, do they give you reasons why?

I am wondering how badly my low GRE score will hurt my chance of getting accepted. UF says that a high GPA (mine is 3.79) will make up for a low GRE (mine was 950...terrible...I don't do all that well on those tests:(). Is my GRE score still much too low?

If I were you, I would definitely try and improve my GRE score. A 3.79 is a good GPA but next to other vet school applicants with the same GPA and higher test scores, it will not look as great. You are right that UF mentions the "sliding scale" so to speak, but you still have to look at what they consider a competitive GRE. Their website says a "minimum (suggested) academic criteria" GRE score of 1100 (or 300-304 for the new GRE) so a competitive GRE is even higher than that. http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/dvm-specifics/
Why is it that you aren't doing well on the GRE? Are you not familiar with the format? Are you not brushing up on the material? What makes you so nervous when you test? And what can you do to try and improve these issues. Telling an adcom your score is low because you don't test well, isn't going to encourage them to put you into a rigorous academia with tons of tests. I would definitely not say it is impossible for you to get in, but If I were you, I would try and strengthen that part of your application. I took the GRE and freaked out that the questions were getting so hard (technically a good thing) and christmas treed half of it because I gave up. One month later, I relaxed and told myself it was a good thing and improved my score by 150 points. Try and figure out the root cause of your testing problem, and see what you can't do to improve it! Best of luck!:luck:

I am not sure about UF specifically, but many schools offer file reviews for unsuccessful applicants.
Some only review waitlisted applicants (Colorado State), but you would have to look into each school to see their policies on file reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.