What are my EC's worth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaw93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off just my quick info:
  • Sophmore at University of Arizona
  • Finance Major (a little untraditional)
  • Chem minor
  • 3.6 overall gpa (and climbing. I got a 3.15 my first semester as a freshman and have been fighting back up since)
  • 3.9 BCPM gpa (got A's in bio, chem and ochem. got a B in calc and ochem lab)

I know my biggest deficit for apply to med-school is my EC's. I lack clinical experience or research right now. My first 1.5 years in college I focused on education as my EC's. I have been a preceptor and tutor for Bio for a year. I also had a paid job through my school where I would lead, plan and facilitate collaborative and interactive study sessions for up to 20 students in Bio. The position was called a Supplemental Instructor if anyone has heard of the SI model of teaching.

My other EC's
  • Played on the school's rugby team for a year (stopped due to injury)
  • I have been a youth wrestling coach for the last few years. I have about 250-300 hours with this
  • Leadership positions within my fraternity and other various community services
  • Eagle Scout

Ok now on to my real question:
Because I am a finance major which has nothing to do with med I have to find time to take my sciences. Because of this I have taken summer school every summer, and I will again this upcoming summer. This has taken away valuable time for clinical experience. even if I start next semester (fall of my junior year) do I have time to get significant clinical/research experience? I feel like it wont be enough time to for me to show the depth of the experience. If this is the case, are my other EC's strong enough to help my candidancy. I have aspirations to go to a mid to top tier school and I hope to have my GPA around 3.8 by the time I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

First off just my quick info:
  • Sophmore at University of Arizona
  • Finance Major (a little untraditional)
  • Chem minor
  • 3.6 overall gpa (and climbing. I got a 3.15 my first semester as a freshman and have been fighting back up since)
  • 3.9 BCPM gpa (got A's in bio, chem and ochem. got a B in calc and ochem lab)

I know my biggest deficit for apply to med-school is my EC's. I lack clinical experience or research right now. My first 1.5 years in college I focused on education as my EC's. I have been a preceptor and tutor for Bio for a year. I also had a paid job through my school where I would lead, plan and facilitate collaborative and interactive study sessions for up to 20 students in Bio. The position was called a Supplemental Instructor if anyone has heard of the SI model of teaching.

My other EC's
  • Played on the school's rugby team for a year (stopped due to injury)
  • I have been a youth wrestling coach for the last few years. I have about 250-300 hours with this
  • Leadership positions within my fraternity and other various community services
  • Eagle Scout

Because I am a finance major which has nothing to do with med I have to find time to take my sciences. Because of this I have taken summer school every summer, and I will again this upcoming summer. This has taken away valuable time for clinical experience. even if I start next semester (fall of my junior year) do I have time to get significant clinical/research experience? I feel like it wont be enough time to for me to show the depth of the experience. If this is the case, are my other EC's strong enough to help my candidancy. I have aspirations to go to a mid to top tier school and I hope to have my GPA around 3.8 by the time I apply.

You will definitely need at least some clinical experience and possibly research to get into most any medical school, especially as a finance major. They don't want your entire idea of medicine shaped around House or Greys Anatomy.:laugh:

I would suggest trying to find some shadowing at a local hospital ASAP, and research isn't necessary for the lower tier MD schools, but you'll need it if you're shooting for a top tier. Take a gap year if necessary.

Thank you for you response. If I can end up with a year of research and shadowing a doctor before I apply would that be enough to make me competitive? I am trying to avoid taking a gap year if at all possible. With all the years of school ahead of me I don't want to push the whole process back a year

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for you response. If I can end up with a year of research and shadowing a doctor before I apply would that be enough to make me competitive? I am trying to avoid taking a gap year if at all possible. With all the years of school ahead of me I don't want to push the whole process back a year

As a finance major that has spent no time in a clinical setting with patients, all medical schools will wonder what I'm wondering "why do you want to be a doctor?". Ned schools like people with different majors that biology and the sciences as long as you know what you are getting into. After getting a years worth of clinical experience, I feel that will still be lower than average. Your GPA is also pretty average, so unless you completely rock the MCCCAT it will still be a gamble. In addition to no clinical experience, most medical school applicants also have a lot of research expereiences. What schools are you hoping to attend? What type of score do you aim for on the? These are important questions that could help people give you better advice. Also, I don't know why you are so resistant to taking a year or two off and doing something meaningful. The vast majority of people I met interviewing have done this. I took two years off in order to continue really meaningful activities because I absolutely loved them - you would have much more to gain from the experience than I did.

Your current profile would land you an interview at my school, and then a low-wait list position. You have to show AdComs that you're interested in being around sick and injured people, because this will be your career for the next 30-40 years.

I'm also less than impressed by your stating that the only time you can find to do yoru ECs is during the summer. Even if you working full time, you should have time to do some volunteer work. This means patient contact experience. We expect you to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Every medical school can fill their seats with 4.0 automatons, but we're more interested in turning put good, altruistic, humanistic doctors.

I know my biggest deficit for apply to med-school is my EC's. I lack clinical experience or research right now.

Thank you for your feedback.
in reply to Goro
I do agree with you that my current profile is lacking, although I am fortunate that I am not applying for another year. I am actively looking to start volunteering in a clinical setting as we speak. Would you agree that a years worth of clinical experience would be lacking when the time comes for me to apply?

October88:
thank you for your insight. I am shooting for a 32+ on the MCAT but it really does me no good speculating a score. I would love to be competitive for either campus of my home school of U of A. As an Arizona resident I have an advantage there. I would like to go out of state as well, but it may not be cost effective if I am able to get into my state schools. As far as my GPA is concerned my overall gpa is a little low, but I have had two consecutive semester above 3.8 and I see no reason why I can't continue that trend to improve my GPA at application time. And My science GPA one of my few strengths. I absolutely do not doubt that there is much to be gained from a gap year. As you stated I could use the time to get more meaningful experiences and broaden my scope on the field of medicine. All that being said, if it is at all possible for me to be admitted to a decent mid-tier school without taking a year off then I would prefer that. I am eager to start my training to become a doctor and would like to face the challenges as soon as I can. If at the end of the day I am not competitve and I need to take a year to gain experience then I will do so, but not after trying to be admitted immediately following my graduation from undergrad.

Oh no, a year's worth of clinical experience (let's say, 100 hrs) should be fine. Be sure to add shadowing a physician, because you need to see what a doctor's day is like. Other things to consider would be volunteering at a nursing home or hospice, Habitat for Humanity, camps for sick.disabled children, soup kitchens, and rehab centers.

I do agree with you that my current profile is lacking, although I am fortunate that I am not applying for another year. I am actively looking to start volunteering in a clinical setting as we speak. Would you agree that a years worth of clinical experience would be lacking when the time comes for me to apply?