What are some really good books/book series?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm curious to find out some good books or book series that are really good reads. Ok looking for something that will really make me interested and keep me hooked. It doesn't have to be about medicine necessarily. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

If I had the time, Iwould read Civil War Volumes 1-3 Box Set by Shelby Foote. He's also interviewed in the documentary TV series, The Civil War (Ken Burns) and Foote spoke as if he knew the generals personally. I feel that his voice might come through in the writing.

A friend of mine really enjoyed the Patrick O'Brian series of books, According to Amazon, "the release of the film Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World has focused even more attention on the publishing phenomenon of the late Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels about the Royal Navy in the age of Nelson. These five volumes, beautifully produced and boxed, contain over 7,000 pages of what has often been described as a single, continuous narrative."

Also, look under my post history and you'll find a few threads I've started about books. I'm not about to find the links but they are there and they are full of gems but not book series.

Reactions: 1 user
GAME OF THRONES / A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

I am a big book nerd and read all the series as a kid (Clue, Narnia, Goosebumps, Harry Potter, Animorphs, lord of the rings, etc. ad nauseum), and a big fan of all the literary classics. Game of Thrones books are excellent.

I like John Grisham novels too, very "thrilling." Salman Rushdie is great. Fav book of all time may be Catch-22. Illusions by Richard Bach is wonderful. A confederacy of Dunces is amazing. So many good books.

Something I'm reading now that is AWESOME that is not fiction is called The Power of NOW by Eckhart Tolle. Very inspiring and wonderful read. If you like religious texts, the Bhagavad Gita is pretty interesting as well. But seriously, GAME OF THRONES. Amazing.

Edit: another good modern "series" is the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series, aka The Millennium Series -- lisbeth salander is a great protagonist

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Name of the Wind

Assassin's Apprentice

Ender's Game

Split Infinity

Golden Compass (His Dark Materials)

Stuff by John Green

A woman after my own heart!!! May I also suggest anything by Bernard Cornwell, especially the Sharpe series and Saxon Chronicles.

If I had the time, Iwould read Civil War Volumes 1-3 Box Set by Shelby Foote. He's also interviewed in the documentary TV series, The Civil War (Ken Burns) and Foote spoke as if he knew the generals personally. I feel that his voice might come through in the writing.

A friend of mine really enjoyed the Patrick O'Brian series of books, According to Amazon, "the release of the film Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World has focused even more attention on the publishing phenomenon of the late Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels about the Royal Navy in the age of Nelson. These five volumes, beautifully produced and boxed, contain over 7,000 pages of what has often been described as a single, continuous narrative."

Depends on your interests.

I got really into mystery/horror/supernatural type books, so I'm fond of the Repairman Jack series by F Paul Wilson and the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (some in the series are better than others, I recommend starting with Cabinet of Curiosities).

I also like the Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow series.

If you're into Norse Mythology, check out the Ragnarok series by A.K. Morgen (first one is Fade).

And finally, if you haven't read it yet, The Princess Bride is a really good book. Even better when you learn more about the author.

Kingdom of Heaven is a good movie if you are interested in the crusade or holy war stuff.

I'm going to read Bill Frist's autobiography first chance I get. He use to be a doctor, and is now a politician. I am also interested in both medicine, as well as, politics and management so I look forward to learning from him.

I personally tend to gravitate toward biographies and autobiographies of people I admire or who inspire me. As such, I've read almost all the autobiographies of past presidents and first ladies, and many books by CEOs and human rights activists. In addition to that, I would recommend classics like Dante's Inferno, Faust, etc. if you are into those things.

As was mentioned, A Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones) ALL day. I think this is the greatest series of all time but that is just me.

Others that I really enjoy and aren't super obvious (i.e. Harry Potter, LoTR, etc.) include: Stephen King's The Dark Tower books and Asimov's The Foundation series.

Wheel of Time!

You should read "A Song of Ice and Fire", I would highly recommend to see the HBO series.

The Bird Eater is also really good if you like horror.

If you like fantasy, the Iron Tower Trilogy by Dennis McKeirnan is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Gone Series

if you don't mind post apocalyptic mutant kids killing each other

"The series is centered on the fictional American town of Perdido Beach and surrounding area, in which every human 15 and older vanishes. The town and surrounding areas become encased within an impenetrable energy barrier, with many of its inhabitants developing supernatural powers. The books follow the exploits of the protagonist, Sam Temple, as he battles antagonists Caine Soren and Drake Merwin, as well as a mysterious, malevolent creature, known as the Darkness or the gaiaphage (derived from Gaia, a Greek personification of the Earth, and "phage", a type of virus)."

A fun series that gets better over time is Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. Urban fantasy with a snarky anti-hero. Not literature, but a good time.

Haven't read the book but it was a terrible movie.
Please, never use this sentence in any conversation about a book, ever again.

I mean, the first half of your own sentence points out your statement's irrelevance to the conversation.

Also, I disagree with you. One of the few book-movies I would watch again, having read the book.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Please, never use this sentence in any conversation about a book, ever again.

I mean, the first half of your own sentence point out your statement's irrelevance to the conversation.

Also, I disagree with you. One of the few book-movies I would watch again, having read the book.

I don't understand your 2nd point.

I don't understand your 2nd point.
The first half of your statement: "Haven't read the book" points out that what you say will be irrelevant to the conversation (about books to read) because you have no basis for an opinion on the book.

A Song of Ice and Fire is an incredible series. The Count of Monte Cristo is the best stand-alone story I've ever read.

Haven't read the book but it was a terrible movie.

Haven't seen the movie, but it was a great book. As most of the books that movies get based on are. That's why they were chosen to be movies in the first place. Ask any fan of the Harry Potter books... The movies were okay, but miss out on the depth that comes out of reading the book.

Haven't seen the movie, but it was a great book. As most of the books that movies get based on are. That's why they were chosen to be movies in the first place. Ask any fan of the Harry Potter books... The movies were okay, but miss out on the depth that comes out of reading the book.
If you already like the book, the movie does a good job of recapturing the exciting bits, at least for me. It's less good at the subtle details that made the book stick so hard in my brain, but that's to be expected. It's also one of the few movies I've seen where I went 'yes, that is EXACTLY how I pictured that'.
Can't comment on how the movie would've been without reading the book, though, as I have reread Ender's Game at least 2-3x/yr since I was 10 or so.
Watching the movie got me all pumped up for the story - I literally went home and slammed through the book in 1.5hrs afterwards(which begs the question why watch the movie, if it isn't even shorter than reading the book, but that's a whole 'nuther debate!)

I'm a fan of Nancy Farmer. House of the Scorpion? Its YA but that makes it an easy read. :)

I liked the John Carter books (the movie was a flop and I hated it), but the 5 books series was pretty interesting and kept me busy..

Neil Gaiman has been one of my favorite authors since I read Coraline as a kid.

He mostly writes for adults; definitely check out American Gods and Anansi Boys. They go together and in that order.

His genre is like adding old mythology and paranormal themes to the modern day. Great stuff if you enjoy fantasy.