What are the best specialties to avoid the encroachment of nurses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, my professors are constantly talking about how nurses are always having to correct doctors and basically making them out to sound like idiots who don't know what they are doing. Yet they are never able to give me scientific reasoning behind what's going on.

I hate school.

When I was an EMT, I heard the same from nurses and some senior EMTs alike. At my ACLS course (which I couldn't take at my home institution for personal reasons), which was run by NPs, the was talk about MDs. I have no idea why this pops up in mid-level practitioners (actually, I have one. but I'd like to think people are better than it).

To answer your original post, I've really enjoyed passing on information to young nurses at the hospital because they are eager to learn, don't have egos, and there is it chance it will allow them to deliver better care in the future. I can't speak for most docs, but those I have interacted with (and many of these are world-class physicians and surgeons I am humbled to have had the opportunity to learn from) have generally been very open and willing to teach to mid-level practitioners.

I don't know what the nursing model is, but I can tell you the MD model is. It's rigorous training in basic science in your first year and undergraduate, which lays the foundation for disease process and treatment in your second year. Moreover, you learn how to think rationally and search the literature for high-quality relevant data, as well as how to apply it clinically. You then learn to apply these universal concepts to patient treatment and management in your third and fourth years. In residency you build on your knowledge from medical school, increasing it both in breadth and level of detail. You also have the opportunity to conduct research to answer novel questions that may help others understand the science of a disease, or clarify a better treatment. At each step in your training you are constantly scrutinized on your performance. It's probably for this reason that a former Dean of Admissions at Columbia P&S said that the best predictor of success in medical school was participation in varsity athletics (grades being equal at admission).

This all being said, there are hack MDs. Like anything, training is what you make of it.

I am sorry you're not getting the education you want. I encourage you to reach out to friendly and knowledgeable MDs/DOs/PAs and I imagine you'll get a warm reception for your curiosity.

If you can't stand your school, but aren't ready to commit to and MD, I would look at PA school. PAs are training in a medical model and most MDs feel confident in their abilities and training as associates. I think our similar training paradigms allow MDs and PAs to work more harmoniously together.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was an EMT, I heard the same from nurses and some senior EMTs alike. At my ACLS course (which I couldn't take at my home institution for personal reasons), which was run by NPs, the was talk about MDs. I have no idea why this pops up in mid-level practitioners (actually, I have one. but I'd like to think people are better than it).

To answer your original post, I've really enjoyed passing on information to young nurses at the hospital because they are eager to learn, don't have egos, and there is it chance it will allow them to deliver better care in the future. I can't speak for most docs, but those I have interacted with (and many of these are world-class physicians and surgeons I am humbled to have had the opportunity to learn from) have generally been very open and willing to teach to mid-level practitioners.

I don't know what the nursing model is, but I can tell you the MD model is. It's rigorous training in basic science in your first year and undergraduate, which lays the foundation for disease process and treatment in your second year. Moreover, you learn how to think rationally and search the literature for high-quality relevant data, as well as how to apply it clinically. You then learn to apply these universal concepts to patient treatment and management in your third and fourth years. In residency you build on your knowledge from medical school, increasing it both in breadth and level of detail. You also have the opportunity to conduct research to answer novel questions that may help others understand the science of a disease, or clarify a better treatment. At each step in your training you are constantly scrutinized on your performance. It's probably for this reason that a former Dean of Admissions at Columbia P&S said that the best predictor of success in medical school was participation in varsity athletics (grades being equal at admission).

This all being said, there are hack MDs. Like anything, training is what you make of it.

I am sorry you're not getting the education you want. I encourage you to reach out to friendly and knowledgeable MDs/DOs/PAs and I imagine you'll get a warm reception for your curiosity.

If you can't stand your school, but aren't ready to commit to and MD, I would look at PA school. PAs are training in a medical model and most MDs feel confident in their abilities and training as associates. I think our similar training paradigms allow MDs and PAs to work more harmoniously together.

I've had the PA suggestion before. I'd almost lean more toward MD based on your description. Honestly, it would be very difficult for me (as it is for possibly most people) based on what you said, but your description of learning to think rationally, the process/layout of medical school education, and learning how to apply it is something I'd...well, for lack of better words, kill to be able to do. I've never tolerated scrutiny well, but if there was anywhere I could tolerate it, med school would 100% be it based on the nature of the program and nature of the work post-graduation. Doctors are esteemed, influential members of the community. If med school student can't tolerate scrutiny in med school, they'll quite possibly be eaten alive in residency and beyond. I'm sure it's easier said than done, as well...while my professors haven't directly stated their opinion of me, the implications are clearly there, and punching them in the face would feel really good right now (it's not my nature to that, btw...I'm much more controlled than that). But while I'm probably taking the opportunity of being in a nursing program for granted a bit, I definitely can't see myself doing the same with medical school. So scrutiny, especially when it is to be expected, would roll off my shoulders MUCH easier. Again, this is speculation (I've never been there, so I can't state it as an absolute).

The other big concern would be to spend all the time trying to get the necessary pre-reqs (my BA is in German/Religion and the RN will be an ADN, so very little, if anything, will count) in with a high GPA, plus a strong MCAT score. I wouldn't want to start the process only to find out it's a waste of money because I can't achieve the grades needed. In the past, I've always had an extremely difficult time with math and science. But since my prereqs for nursing school (which I know is NOTHING compared to med school prereqs/med school proper), I crave more and more of a scientific understanding of the way things work. I despise chemistry, but I want to take the classes to better understand the body (I read a general statement in my textbooks about a certain process, and I often don't understand it because it's not broken down into the smallest components, which I would have to have a strong base in chemistry for...and further want to have, despite my prior horrors with chemistry, because I understand just how large that piece of the puzzle is).

I just hate knowing that there's more to a certain topic/statement/etc that I'm not getting. And it's even worse when asking questions about that topic results in negative responses when the questions can't be answered.

I crave more and more of a scientific understanding of the way things work. I despise chemistry, but I want to take the classes to better understand the body (I read a general statement in my textbooks about a certain process, and I often don't understand it because it's not broken down into the smallest components, which I would have to have a strong base in chemistry for...and further want to have, despite my prior horrors with chemistry, because I understand just how large that piece of the puzzle is).

I just hate knowing that there's more to a certain topic/statement/etc that I'm not getting. And it's even worse when asking questions about that topic results in negative responses when the questions can't be answered.

There exists 400 years of science in between what you're learning about a disease in nursing school vs. where the concept came from.

One says allergens/irritants cause you to cough in asthma. The other says an atopically mediated eosinophil-mast cell response secondary to IgE cross-linked of antigens at cell surface receptors lead to a histamine release with activation of Gq receptors that amplify a cell-signaling cascade leading to intracellular calcium release and bronchoconstriction, in addition to bronchial wall edema secondary to an eosinophil or neutrophil inflammatory response depending on the subtype of cough-variant asthma. And the above may be true, but only if the differential diagnoses may be excluded. These range from gastroesophageal reflux disease - which may precipitate both cough and asthma - to Loeffler's eosinophilic pneumonia from the parasites ascaris lumbricoides or strongyloides stercoralis.

They are wildly different models. Both have merits.

Members don't see this ad :)
There exists 400 years of science in between what you're learning about a disease in nursing school vs. where the concept came from.

One says allergens/irritants cause you to cough in asthma. The other says an atopically mediated eosinophil-mast cell response secondary to IgE cross-linked of antigens at cell surface receptors lead to a histamine release with activation of Gq receptors that amplify a cell-signaling cascade leading to intracellular calcium release and bronchoconstriction, in addition to bronchial wall edema secondary to an eosinophil or neutrophil inflammatory response depending on the subtype of cough-variant asthma. And the above may be true, but only if the differential diagnoses may be excluded. These range from gastroesophageal reflux disease - which may precipitate both cough and asthma - to Loeffler's eosinophilic pneumonia from the parasites ascaris lumbricoides or strongyloides stercoralis.

They are wildly different models. Both have merits.

Yeah, we aren't taught any of that. Our prereqs (which consisted of A&P 1&2 and Microbiology ONLY for the sciences) taught some of the terms you mentioned and the general functions of them (ie, eosinophils, mast cells, IgE, histamine, antigens, etc), but we didn't have to know the specific receptors or the specifics of antigen binding to the different receptors (and so far, we've had to use this material MUCH less). The depth to which you explained that history makes a huge difference to me. In lesser known diseases, having that kind of background can make a HUGE difference. Even in more well-known diseases. There are so many minute variables that I'm not getting any info on...guess med school would explain them.

And nurses still want to use the title "doctor" in the clinical setting? Based on what I'm doing now and what I've experienced thus far, nurses would look at that and run. Whereas I want more explanations that go to that level. We have so much broad information that just gets skirted over...there are too many holes and flaws in the education. Especially for nurses to gain more MD duties/responsibilities.

You're an M1. No offense but you don't even know why a shovel has a handle. Nursing has always been about knowing why. I was told "why" when I was even a nurse's aide. Try barking up another tree.

From all the posts ive read on this thread the simple conclusion i can come to is that you sir and an idiot.

fragmented and random arguments, no true aim just an unorganized cannon shooting aimless arguments proving and disproving yourself.

I'll make sure me or any member of my family steer clear of you or any1 with your attitude.

From all the posts ive read on this thread the simple conclusion i can come to is that you sir and an idiot.

fragmented and random arguments, no true aim just an unorganized cannon shooting aimless arguments proving and disproving yourself.

I'll make sure me or any member of my family steer clear of you or any1 with your attitude.

You're kinda thin-skinned aren't ya? Can't even take any ribbing, lol. Good luck on proving I'm an idiot...:laugh: especially since three shrinks have me covering their patients today.

Last edited:
Yeah, we aren't taught any of that. Our prereqs (which consisted of A&P 1&2 and Microbiology ONLY for the sciences) taught some of the terms you mentioned and the general functions of them (ie, eosinophils, mast cells, IgE, histamine, antigens, etc), but we didn't have to know the specific receptors or the specifics of antigen binding to the different receptors (and so far, we've had to use this material MUCH less). The depth to which you explained that history makes a huge difference to me. In lesser known diseases, having that kind of background can make a HUGE difference. Even in more well-known diseases. There are so many minute variables that I'm not getting any info on...guess med school would explain them.

And nurses still want to use the title "doctor" in the clinical setting? Based on what I'm doing now and what I've experienced thus far, nurses would look at that and run. Whereas I want more explanations that go to that level. We have so much broad information that just gets skirted over...there are too many holes and flaws in the education. Especially for nurses to gain more MD duties/responsibilities.

Mostly because you're being trained to be a generalist in a certain role. Do you really want to treat patients or have you thought about another field, medical anthropology, for example?

Mostly because you're being trained to be a generalist in a certain role. Do you really want to treat patients or have you thought about another field, medical anthropology, for example?

He's just venting that he's not getting the education he expected. I don't see how what you said above has any relevance to this situation. Treating patients is not mutually exclusive with wanting additional knowledge.

He's just venting that he's not getting the education he expected. I don't see how what you said above has any relevance to this situation. Treating patients is not mutually exclusive with wanting additional knowledge.

I was merely addressing his comment, "We have so much broad information that just gets skirted over..." from my standpoint as a former Assistant Professor in a school of nursing. Since he is wanting additional knowledge now he probably has a little more insight in that regards.

I have no idea where your, "Treating patients is not mutually exclusive with wanting additional knowledge" comes into play as it should be common knowledge.

I was merely addressing his comment, "We have so much broad information that just gets skirted over..." from my standpoint as a former Assistant Professor in a school of nursing. Since he is wanting additional knowledge now he probably has a little more insight in that regards.

I have no idea where your, "Treating patients is not mutually exclusive with wanting additional knowledge" comes into play as it should be common knowledge.

She, btw. ;) I think what Valadi meant was that you can gain additional knowledge in med school and still treat patients.

Do you mean I have insight in terms of whether or not I want to work directly with people? I've always been on the fence with this one. At times I want to, other times I don't. Based on past work experiences, I don't feel physically as bored as when I have more solitary work, so I think working with people is a bit of a better fit. I'm honestly not always comfortable around people...I don't like feeling like I'm on stage. But I also tend to do better if the pace is fast so I don't get bogged down thinking about things/hung up on who I might encounter. But based on my experiences right now, I don't want to work around other nurses. Well, based on my experiences with my professors (the other students are all nice, even though there have been some really obnoxious/waste of time questions). And from what I've read in different forums (which isn't necessarily the best indicator, but my professors have also talked about it a few times), nurses can be bitchy and backstabbing. This was my biggest apprehension about going into nursing (my parents are helping me get a useful degree so I don't live in a cardboard box with my 4 year old daughter), because working in animal hospitals was this way. The other option was electronics, which would've been ok, but I really enjoyed the anatomy/physiology I picked up from working in animal hospitals and wanted to know more. My parents convinced me, despite knowing better, that because nurses are educated more than vet techs, this would occur less. But it's a field full of women that really don't have that much more of a higher education status than a lot of vet techs, so I'm expecting to see some cat claws at this point. Which is again a waste of time and not what I care to think about/deal with.

The above cat claw issue is another reason I think I would be better suited for an MD. I like the idea that it's more autonomous. I like being more responsible/in control of things. This isn't the only reason and actually isn't something I ever thought I would find myself saying. But if I have to deal with any amount of scrutiny, I might as well get it with the degree/job title I want. Even if I'd be under more scrutiny as a doctor. *shrugs* I may be putting my foot in my mouth with this statement, with this is what all my "self-reflection" crap has brought me to at the moment.

In terms of a medical anthropologist, I'm really not sure of what they do. I've seen Bones, but I don't like to base anything on tv. It also seems like a field that would be VERY difficult to break into...I've never had luck with "niche" careers. Maybe in part because I'm still young (well, 27), don't have contacts, and my BA is pretty much useless, but luck doesn't tend to side with me as much as I'd like. But I think the forensics in the show is cool and if that were a bigger career right now, it would be something I'd probably consider more. Well, except for the lab work. Monotony in a work setting (and what I've experienced is with desk jobs) kills me. I've literally pumped enormous amounts of caffeine into my body, but by about 3PM, my eyes are literally rolling back in my head.

She, btw. ;) I think what Valadi meant was that you can gain additional knowledge in med school and still treat patients.

Please accept my apologies, madam :)

The above cat claw issue is another reason I think I would be better suited for an MD. I like the idea that it's more autonomous. I like being more responsible/in control of things. This isn't the only reason and actually isn't something I ever thought I would find myself saying. But if I have to deal with any amount of scrutiny, I might as well get it with the degree/job title I want. Even if I'd be under more scrutiny as a doctor. *shrugs* I may be putting my foot in my mouth with this statement, with this is what all my "self-reflection" crap has brought me to at the moment.

Sometimes that control is in the hands of insurance companies which BTW recently led me to write a nasty letter full of words I can't even repeat here.

In terms of a medical anthropologist, I'm really not sure of what they do. I've seen Bones, but I don't like to base anything on tv. It also seems like a field that would be VERY difficult to break into...I've never had luck with "niche" careers. Maybe in part because I'm still young (well, 27), don't have contacts, and my BA is pretty much useless, but luck doesn't tend to side with me as much as I'd like. But I think the forensics in the show is cool and if that were a bigger career right now, it would be something I'd probably consider more. Well, except for the lab work. Monotony in a work setting (and what I've experienced is with desk jobs) kills me. I've literally pumped enormous amounts of caffeine into my body, but by about 3PM, my eyes are literally rolling back in my head.

Here you go:"What is medical anthropology?
Medical Anthropology is a subfield of anthropology that draws upon social, cultural, biological, and linguistic anthropology to better understand those factors which influence health and well being (broadly defined), the experience and distribution of illness, the prevention and treatment of sickness, healing processes, the social relations of therapy management, and the cultural importance and utilization of pluralistic medical systems. The discipline of medical anthropology draws upon many different theoretical approaches. It is as attentive to popular health culture as bioscientific epidemiology, and the social construction of knowledge and politics of science as scientific discovery and hypothesis testing. Medical anthropologists examine how the health of individuals, larger social formations, and the environment are affected by interrelationships between humans and other species; cultural norms and social institutions; micro and macro politics; and forces of globalization as each of these affects local worlds."

Sounds like you might need to do some shadowing and soul-searching. Good luck whichever way you choose.

Please accept my apologies, madam :)

Sometimes that control is in the hands of insurance companies which BTW recently led me to write a nasty letter full of words I can't even repeat here.

Here you go:"What is medical anthropology?
Medical Anthropology is a subfield of anthropology that draws upon social, cultural, biological, and linguistic anthropology to better understand those factors which influence health and well being (broadly defined), the experience and distribution of illness, the prevention and treatment of sickness, healing processes, the social relations of therapy management, and the cultural importance and utilization of pluralistic medical systems. The discipline of medical anthropology draws upon many different theoretical approaches. It is as attentive to popular health culture as bioscientific epidemiology, and the social construction of knowledge and politics of science as scientific discovery and hypothesis testing. Medical anthropologists examine how the health of individuals, larger social formations, and the environment are affected by interrelationships between humans and other species; cultural norms and social institutions; micro and macro politics; and forces of globalization as each of these affects local worlds."

Sounds like you might need to do some shadowing and soul-searching. Good luck whichever way you choose.

Lol, no worries. Gender isn't exactly obvious on a computer screen. Unless, I dunno, you're watching porn or something.

Based on that definition, I wouldn't like medical anthropology. It's very liberal arts-y. I like a distanced understanding of liberal arts ideas, but going in depth, arguing over semantics, completely abstract ideas...that's not really my thing. And I've never been very effective at writing papers. Not good enough to go into a field like that, at least. It sounds like a university, become a professor type of career. I like A&P so much because it's concrete, you can see it or at least picture it pretty easily, and the abstract ideas are still concrete. Kinda like Valadi's brief description of the history of asthma. A lot of that was slightly abstract, but it all made sense because I could visualize it. Liberal arts doesn't work that way...actually, nursing doesn't either. And my nursing professors are always telling us that and test is in a vague manner in to prepare us for the real world of abstract. Which I think is bs, but oh well.

Hahahahahahaha. God, you're unreal. I don't even want to take a wild guess at your actual self-perception or the things you think that you aren't sharing with this community. It must feel satisfying to live in such a warm little bubble of delusion. Keep "confronting those idiots" and catching those wild zebras (while also being able to catch the simple stuff stupid, ******* doctors miss).

I don't know what the world would do without you Nurse. Also, remember to thank Mary Mundinger from time to time for those back pats. You make her proud little propaganda soldier.

Hahaha!

While catching the 1 zebra, probably let a bunch of horses gallop right by that the physicians will pickup.

Go take your patient comfort classes where they teach you how to convince patients you are looking out for their best interests until the shift change happens. Most NPs are lazy still on the un-professional nurse mode. They leave the hospital or clinic at 4 and then dump on residents but claim they are equals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go take your patient comfort classes where they teach you how to convince patients you are looking out for their best interests until the shift change happens. Most NPs are lazy still on the un-professional nurse mode. They leave the hospital or clinic at 4 and then dump on residents but claim they are equals.

This is really the impression I've gotten in school thus far. I do believe nurses are an essential part of the health care team and should be respected as such (pending they don't prove otherwise, such as extraneous griping or laziness). But my instructors have also proved that it's very easy to have an arrogant, "better than everyone else" attitude. I mean, devoting class time to a sample NCLEX question about "mean doctors" and taking away from lecture time to gossip to the class about "stupid doctors" and nurses being smarter than doctors? Not only does that give the wrong impression to students, it's very unprofessional and does not prove the value of nurses to physicians in any way.

If these people have really spent 20+ years in the nursing field, I would have thought they would have learned how to appeal to or speak with physicians regarding certain issues. It's quite obvious (to me, at least) that if physicians follow a different medical practice model than nurses, they will also have different values and thus communicating with physicians would be different that with other nurses. And because nurses focus on "caring" and communication (and have endless amounts of coursework on this topic), this should be obvious. Every patient is different, so apply the same thinking to physician team members/bosses and work with them, instead of promoting discrimination toward physicians to future nurses.

The "patient comfort" portion of nursing education is really pissing me off, to be honest. Having a health care communication course isn't a bad idea (I've had this and it made me see where I've made mistakes in the past working in the veterinary field...but I'm generally awkward around people, even though I'm also generally polite, so difficult client/coworker situations never turned out well for me...and thus such courses may not be beneficial to everyone). But having so much of this crap being thrown down my throat ALL THE TIME has sent me over the edge. Granted I just started and I'm complaining more about my "Nursing Fundamentals" course than my Pharmacology course (which does go a bit more into the concrete, science aspect of medicine, even though it's obvious that topics are being skirted over in that class as well), which nursing fundamentals WOULD be more about caring crap. My professors have kept saying we'll get more into science later, but as later arrives, it's still just a repeat of what I learned in my basic A&P 1&2 classes. I don't need to learn how to "reach out" to people. Honestly, I don't care about "reaching out" to people. Helping people with their health based on scientific/medical facts is great. I thought I'd be doing more than that in nursing than I actually am.

Oh, yeah, and now that we are learning about more "scientific" aspects of the medical field, it's as if I'm being toyed with. Our instructor showed us a youtube supplemental instruction video of someone draining a pneumothorax. I was pretty excited and started thinking "ok, maybe I did jump the gun on thinking nursing equals changing adult diapers." Then 2-3 other students (in succession...they weren't listening to each other AT ALL) raised their hands to ask our teacher if we would be doing that (they sounded really worried, also, which then bothered me). And then my slight mood elevation was shattered when she said we would just be assisting the physician by preparing the patient and materials and standing nearby to aid the physician. *grumbles*

My parents are paying for my education (both fortunately and unfortunately) and it's my second degree (first one was a BA in German and Religion). I'm fortunate for this because my first degree has proven useless in the crappy state of the economy and otherwise I'd be unemployed/living in a box/flipping burgers. But it's unfortunate because it is my second degree, I need a more immediate degree that can offer some form of stability, other various personal reasons which they are definitely justified/right about, they won't fund any other education besides this (so dropping this for premed isn't an option). But the positive aspect of it (just to keep myself sane) is that I definitely know I want to go in the medical field, and this at least gives me a start and some experience before/during premed coursework. My parents are supportive of me going to med school eventually, but they also want me to prove I can make it through this first (a lot of personal stuff behind this, though nothing that would prevent me from getting into med school).

Which isn't really a bad idea, because med school will be a lot harder than this (duh). I generally don't tend to do well with subjects that don't have much black and white to them, especially when the tests are comprised of questions structured in shades of gray. But on top of that, there are multiple instructors teaching one course, they don't communicate with each other, and they've told us we won't be tested on certain things that we are later tested on (surprise!). This isn't unheard of for college professors, but it's definitely no wonder that people say RN=C when the professors are intentionally being vague (or just straight lying to the students). I do think if I had a more in depth education on the human body, biological processes, micro, etc, that the shades of gray would make more sense because I would have more puzzle pieces to put together in order to get to a certain answer. But we are just told generalities, the professors don't care to explain (because this is, and I quote, "spoon feeding"), and nursing is much more of a practical mix of liberal arts and basic sciences (this is just my opinion at the moment, btw).

Anyway, while I am apprehensive of going into premed/med school based on how badly I'm doing in nursing right now (well, average...I would expect myself to prove on paper that this is easy if I thought med school should be a future option for me), I'm also keeping in mind that the models are different, my pre-nursing science classes were easy and enjoyable, and I DO have the desire/dedication required for working hard to get where I want to go. I also know I'm focusing on how flawed the textbook (which told us that antacids increase stomach acidity), program, and nursing in general is, which is clouding a lot right now. Oh, and the fact that I'm still shocked at how superficial A&P/science has been presented to us at this point. But anyway (again), I'm done with my novel/high horse/griping now.

Why are you afraid of nurses? Compete with them if you're better.

Damn. Don't tell me the USA suffers from noctors as well. I just thought it was our stupid governments way of saving money and crapping on the medical profession. (not that they actually save money).

Damn right. If I ever get some joker of a noctor coming to "treat" me when I am ill, I will not hesitate to ask for someone who has completed medical school.

It fills my heart with joy reading how much you are actually afraid of us, nurses. The simple truth is, we will continue specializing, improving our profession and taking your patients and your money. Because in the end, that is what you're crying about. It is not about us not being qualified but rather about you losing your piece of the pie.

I work in an ICU and can give you an example of a typical "someone who has completed medical school" when they first step on our floor: new residents tend to travel in packs to decrease their chances of being asked any medical questions or, god forbid, have to make a medical decision. A typical arrogant new resident (most likely you are included in this category) walks around scared ****less and asks deep philosophical questions, like what a MAP is and what does it stand for. And suddenly, the young doctor sees that patients are REAL PEOPLE, and he actually have to touch them, and talk to them (which requires basic communication skills that are usually not taught in medical school)! O, no, how unfair! Then the newly arrived you decides to get brave and actually write a real order, like for 10mg/hr morphine drip, and gets very upset with the stupid nurse who refuses to follow your order. After all, you are a doctor and nurses should never question your orders or, even worse, express opinions and give advice.

Maybe the real practice will teach you that if it wasn't for the nurses, you fellas would be killing patients on daily basis. And most patients actually prefer to be treated by nurses because we realize that they are human beings and not just pathological conditions. So suck it up, and if you think you're better, show it in practice!

It fills my heart with joy reading how much you are actually afraid of us, nurses. The simple truth is, we will continue specializing, improving our profession and taking your patients and your money. Because in the end, that is what you're crying about. It is not about us not being qualified but rather about you losing your piece of the pie.

Superd1, I certainly am not afraid of you. As a future physician who has dedicated my 20s to learning to properly care for patients through the intense study of all aspects of the human body on the most fundamental levels, I am afraid of you passing your "knowledge" (read: clinical experience) off as equal to that of a physician's. The bottom line is that the average nurse does not receive the same intense education as the average physician. Please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and do not think otherwise. It is foolhardy on your part. I will be well-paid in the future, capable of paying off my loans and supporting my family. I will not live a life of luxury, but that's not what I wanted. You can take a piece of the proverbial pie, but don't push it beyond that.

I work in an ICU and can give you an example of a typical "someone who has completed medical school" when they first step on our floor: new residents tend to travel in packs to decrease their chances of being asked any medical questions or, god forbid, have to make a medical decision. A typical arrogant new resident (most likely you are included in this category) walks around scared ****less and asks deep philosophical questions, like what a MAP is and what does it stand for. And suddenly, the young doctor sees that patients are REAL PEOPLE, and he actually have to touch them, and talk to them (which requires basic communication skills that are usually not taught in medical school)! O, no, how unfair! Then the newly arrived you decides to get brave and actually write a real order, like for 10mg/hr morphine drip, and gets very upset with the stupid nurse who refuses to follow your order. After all, you are a doctor and nurses should never question your orders or, even worse, express opinions and give advice.

This mentality is not warranted from a new intern. It probably isn't warranted from a second- or third-year resident; however, it may be warranted from a chief. By the time that resident has been around for 4 or 5 years they very well have the same amount of clinical experience as you simply due to the hours and intensity of their work. There should be mutual respect on both parts. I am sure some of these new doctors have trouble with that, but it seems that you do, too.

As for your little jab about MAP and asking what it is: I can assure you that the average medical student receives more instruction in cardiac physiology than you could ever get on the job. That type of information can't be gained by working in an ICU. You must have run across a student who couldn't remember the formula for MAP and are attempting to pass that student off as the norm; I can assure you that he/she definitely is not the norm. As for the ability to speak to patients because they are "REAL PEOPLE": the average medical school now gives instruction on basic history and physical taking through the use of standardized patients. This instruction on basic communication skills is a big selling point for many schools. I can tell you that my school had us working with standardized patients beginning the very first week of school and continuing into my second year. We were video recorded at each encounter and watched those videos with instructors while receiving feedback on what we could have done differently. We also received feedback from the standardized patients themselves. We had to rotate with physicians in our campus clinic as well as shadow other physicians throughout the community from a variety of specialties. I can assure you that you have no idea what you are talking about and it is very obvious you haven't set foot in any medical school within the last decade.

Maybe the real practice will teach you that if it wasn't for the nurses, you fellas would be killing patients on daily basis. And most patients actually prefer to be treated by nurses because we realize that they are human beings and not just pathological conditions. So suck it up, and if you think you're better, show it in practice!

This is a common statement I read/hear from nurses. There is certainly truth to it, but not as much as you seem to imply. Patients wouldn't be dying daily due to those dumb physicians not knowing what the heck they're doing. While I was working in two different operating rooms before school, I heard numerous physicians talk about seeing patients on the floors and fixing the mistakes nurses made, some of which would have surely killed a patient. We all make mistakes, and we will continue to do so. It is disingenuous of you to attempt to paint a picture of most doctors being incompetent and killing patients while you are that ever-present intervening entity there to save the lives of those that would otherwise be taken through physician error. Give me a break.

Laughable, just laughable. Please explain to me how you save lives day in and day out and keep patients alive from those doctors you think are so inept at life. Nurses who claim equivalency in knowledge and vastly superior bedside manner often use bogus anecdotal evidence and hearsay and try and pass it off as fact because their arguments have ZERO validity. "Most patient actually prefer to be treated by nurses....." is a great example and only proves your insecurity. Would you argue this is a known fact or someone's (n=1........you) opinion?

And since when is something as simple as MAP considered a deep philosophical question like it is beyond the realm of understanding. Let me ask you, regarding MAP which is more likely to have a favorable outcome, 80 or 2 (hint there is only one right answer). Apparently the phys curriculum you learned in nursing school is as weak as your argument.

You sound like you have a huge chip on your shoulder.

Medical school is a brutalizing experience, and should not be laughed at until you attempt it. Nearly all MD graduates can pass Step 3, whereas more than 50% of DNPs outright failed.

Get over yourself, if you can be this amazing "equivalent" of a doctor, go out and prove it by at least PASSING clinical exams.

don't forget your first day as a nurse - it did not have any of the responsibility that resident has...

It takes years of experience before medical decision-making becomes second nature.

As pointed out by OldManDO2009, we all start from somewhere. A first-year resident is on the very bottom of the MD totem pole - a position I will be in this coming June. They aren't really doctors yet. This is why it takes years of training after school before we are allowed to fully practice.

Also, your statement that patients (ESPECIALLY in the ICU) would rather be treated by a nurse than a physician is interesting. I would love to see where you got this information.

Y'all make nurses sound like viruses.

We are all part of a healthcare TEAM, you know. And let's face it: Nurses are cheaper.

I would expound more...but I am ass-deep in paperwork right now...perhaps if I recieved the right prodding (March the Trolls!)

We are all part of a healthcare TEAM, you know. And let's face it: Nurses are cheaper.

I would expound more...but I am ass-deep in paperwork right now...perhaps if I recieved the right prodding (March the Trolls!)

Yep, and I just admitted 3 patients since 6pm and filled up the unit. Poor nurses. Poor me tomorrow when I have to do H&Ps and see everyone and then do floor consults. :(

Sorry guys, but as an observer of the back and forth between the Medical Vanguard and the Nurse, I would have to say the nurse won.

You know, I am in the service (Naval Hospital Fleet Marine Force Corpsman [not a medic!]), and I share an office with the battalion surgeon (obviously a MD) to whom I pepper relentlessly with questions and comments about my future field (medicine).

He, like most providers, are scared to death of the "encroachment of the evil nurseseses," but myself, not so much. It is understandable that he is not wild about the idea, as he is looking forward to a anesthesiology residency post-service and the CRNAs have pretty much established a foothold in the area. I, myself, do not mind sharing a bit of the load with the nursing brethern, IF...and this may sound prickish, but IF they know their place.

FP NPs, fine. I can dig that. Runny noses, low-grade hypertension, "owwy, I pulled a butt muscle." Have at it! As long as I can precept your charts, we are gravy. Ped NPs, go at it. "Yes, you child is hitting the benchmarks and his boo boo is healing nicely." All you, as long as you know your limits and consult accordingly. But once you hit that ceiling where you think, "ok, wtf," it's time to call in the big guns.

Look, physicians are drowning in patients and gasping for air. I do not see why we SHOULDN'T let highly trained nurses share the load! Sure, the pay model will change, sure, physicians will not get paid as much in the future, but thankfully, there are doctors out there that don't do it for the money, like hopefully this guy. I would do it for McDonalds manager pay, and I am not BSing that.

In a capitalist society, this is the way of the future. We shouldn't expect those 300k a year jobs as a right anymore. It's just the way it is. Healthcare is expensive and the US economy is buckling under the weight. We have to do our part to allievate the burden, or the highly touted quality healthcare we proclaim as supreme throughout the world will only be assessible to the rich!!

And I, for one, will not stand for it. I value the craft over profit. I guess I am overly idealistic in my old age, but hey...it's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Last edited:

Then, know your role in the team and don't overstep your capacity. The last thing nurses should be doing is pretending to be equivalent to physicians (which is what the NP/DNP movement's main message is).

Not only that, it doesn't look like nurses are "cheaper" than physicians. One of the biggest goals of the NP/DNP movement is to get equivalent pay as physicians. And they achieved this already in one state, if I remember correctly. So, how's that cheaper? It sucks for patients because they're getting less-trained practitioners and paying the same cost as they would if they were seeing a physician. So, all they get is increased risk and no benefit.

Look, physicians are drowning in patients and gasping for air. I do not see why we SHOULDN'T let highly trained nurses share the load! Sure, the pay model will change, sure, physicians will not get paid as much in the future, but thankfully, there are doctors out there that don't do it for the money, like hopefully this guy. I would do it for McDonalds manager pay, and I am not BSing that.
Except for the whole part where they're not highly trained...the cream of the crop DNPs at Columbia took a watered-down version of Step 3 (which is considered the easiest of the Steps and for which most interns don't even study for) and had a 50% fail rate. And these are considered the "best" DNPs. Yea, you're right; they're so highly trained. :rolleyes: (I wish I was there to see the look on Mundinger's face when she received the news)

A medical student by the end of 3rd year has more basic science training and clinical hours of training than any NP/DNP school provides. That's a fact, not an opinion. You don't see them clamoring for independent practice. You know why? Because they understand how difficult the practice of medicine is and that they're nowhere close to being able to competently practice on their own.

There are no shortcuts to becoming a competent clinician.

MrBeauregard, I hate to tell you this...but unless you haven't updated your status...you are still a medical student.

And your reply to me had so many assumptions and poorly based statements on the little information you know about me that it really isn't worth addressing line by line. But I WILL ask you and Kaushik this: how well do you know the curriculum for NP/DNP? What are you basing your "they don't really learn anything" off of?

Also, your medical terminology razzle dazzle fails to impress me. I know more medicine then you assume, but I couldn't expect you to know that, again, because that entire diatribe was just based on what you ASSUME my knowledge level is.

I certainly pray you don't do such things as a physician, that kills people. Trust me, I know...but again, couldn't expect you to know that.

ANYwho, I will reply to Mr. Kaushik. Do I believe that DNPs/NPs should be paid equal to an actual MD/DO? Hell no. I base that off of years/time/blood/sweat/tears invested to actually become a full-fledged physician, and the amount of liability and the level of complexity the job requires.

Do I think that there is such a thing as simple medicine, yes. Not every miss-fire that inflicts the body requires the full talents of a physician. I never understood how physicians can complain on one hand that they are drowning in bull**** patients and Dx's, and on the other hand complain if anyone "steps on their turf."

And they are fighting for independent practice? I don't see the problem here. The key word here is "independent," which to ME implies, "if you **** up, have fun with the malpractice suit. Leave me out of it." ...anyone else seeing the benefits here? Give them their DEA numbers, their license numbers, and their offices. Once the profession has experienced the wraith of the long arm of frivolous lawsuits, they will stick their heads back in.

The winds of change is coming, either sail with it, or get blown away by it.

Last edited:
Well, Mr. Beauregard, let me respond to your questions.

1) Those quotations where meant for paraphrasing. It is completely acceptable to use quotations when framing a paraphrase. But thank you for the hip-pocket english lesson. What I was referring to was your ability to draw conclusions based on little or no evidence. Your response to me was 80% assumption based on...what exactly? Let me list them.

a) "Just because you share an office with a battalion surgeon does not mean you know anything about the practice of medicine." (That was a good one, warmed my heart, but I think claiming that I don't know ANYTHING about the practice of medicine, even though I work along side doctors daily and are expected to do EVERYTHING while my MD just looks over my shoulder and my notes [yes, this includes minor surgical procedures, SOAPs, and research] may be overreaching, but I suppose that, since you believe that people that don't attend medical school should not proclaim to know ANYTHING about medicine, this won't amount to much either.)

b) "As such, part of the difficulty here is that we future physicians work so hard to learn all we can in order to properly treat and care for our patients, while these nurses, who are not educated in the intricacies of the human body, want to claim they are equally trained and thus can practice equally." (Nurses, even at the post-bacc level, are not educated in the intricacies of the human body? Truely? I would have agreed that the DEPTH in which they are trained is not equal to that of a physician, but not educated at all, hm? I would whole-heartedly disagree. Perhaps you should ask your NP school friends. I suppose that all they learn at graduate level nursing is just a better way to start an I.V. or the science of no-sodium food trays.)

c) "Again, this illustrates your ignorance to the subject. Do you realize how difficult it is to adequately manage "low-grade hypertension" (I have yet to see low-grade as a classification for hypertension in any text, which further proves my point). I bet you also think it's pretty easy to manage diabetes, don't you?" (Woops, I meant stage I hypertension there. My apologies. Didn't mean to let my ignorance hang out there by giving it the wrong adjective. And come on, man, managing certain levels of hypertension and certain types of diabetes is not THAT bloody difficult. You do the studies, figure out the why, then treat the why. When you are learning about it while you are in the weeds, I suppose that it would seem daunting, but in actual practice? I would think not.)

d) "You have obviously never worked with a primary care physician, because much of what you see will not be "owwy, I pulled a butt muscle". (Oh yes, obviously I never worked with a primary care physician, hahahahaha. Oh man, that's good stuff. That was a genuine laugh there. And the "owwy, I pulled a butt muscle" was my attempt at humor. I think you would be shocked how much time I spent with FP physicians, both on the clock and off, and how much of my work in the military has been FP related. But I don't like to toot my own horn.)

e) "Much of it is hypertension; non-compliant type 2 diabetics with resulting diabetic nephropathy and CKD, peripheral neuropathy and retinopathy; those with NYHA Stage 3 congestive heart failure; those with significant PAD/PVD; etc. It's really easy for you to say that those can be taken care of by the NP, let the docs manage the hard stuff. But you see, this is the hard stuff." (I agree, since most diabetes, treated early enough, doesn't result in diabetic nephropathy, CKD, peripheral neuropathy and retinopathy. That is at a pretty advanced stage, where the viscosity of the blood destroys the blood vessels and causes those systems to fail. When caught and managed early enough, the patient shouldn't see significant eye and nerve damage, but what do I know? Stage 3 hypertension, is that the majority of complaints the average FP doctor will run into? I am AA, I have lived with high systolic values for the better part of my adult life. I can run 3mi in 18mins, I am 16% body fat, don't eat fatty foods, low LDLs, and work out everyday. Would you reckon my BP is hard to manage?)

f) "This role should not, however, be one of independent practice, and this is the issue. Physicians needs to be there to supervise, and that's that." (Ah, and there it is. No one can practice medicine unless you are a doctor. I mean, how did we get by without such loftly professionals? How do people in rural areas live without doctors? Most physicians are not willing to practice in the inner-city, out in the boondocks, or in isolated communities where the pay won't put a dent in your student loan bills, so I guess these people are ass out of luck. I mean, really, what would a DNP be thinking, bringing affordable healthcare to the less fortunate, or sharing some of the load of, yes, EASY medicine. Let them be, I think they can manage without your big, sexy brain.)

g) "You scare me. You know why? Because you are willing to let an unequally trained NP/DNP enter the room of an unsuspecting patient and attempt to treat independently. And when something goes wrong, just let the system take care of it. You have shown a blatant disregard for any patient's well-being that you allow this to happen to. Good job, sir." (Now that one hurt. Not only did you call me uncaring, which my track record would certainly dispprove, but you make it sound like I am willing to unleash the unholy hounds of inadequency upon the unsuspecting townspeople. Number one, the patient knows if he/she is dealing with a nurse or a doctor, they are not stupid. Number two, "the system?" Really? When did I become a broker of "the system?" Is your regard for anyone that did not attend medical school SO low that you think that anyone that doesn't have MD/DO behind their name will do nothing to benefit or improve the patient's condition? Who kills more patients in hospital settings? Who covers who's ass day to day? And they don't, by and large, "attempt" to provide quality healthcare, they provide quality healthcare. They have a scope of practice, and unlike MANY physicians I know, they know their limits. If something exceeds them, they call in a doctor, much like when a primary care physician gets smoked by a difficult case, they consult and refer. The DNPs are not attempting to perform surgery, man. And I think the ones that are showing "a blantant disregard for the patient's well-being" are the ones that allow a broken system to remain broken for the sake of one's ego. Physicians are not the end all to medicine. Your ego scares me, medi-pup.

2) So you have more room to speak of these things because you are a medical student? Interesting. I suppose that I shouldn't have any room to speak of medicine because I am not a medical student yet, please excuse me for having an opinion and asking questions. I suppose years of experience in clinical environments ranging from hospitals to clinics to Aid stations, as well as years of experience being the sole medical provider for a company of Marines both in garrison and during deployment shouldn't really amount to much. I mean, hey, you are the guy with the book and sitting in the lectures, SURELY you know more about these things then I do. I apologize for questioning your obvious superiority.

Last edited:
From a nurse competition perspective only I'd say rads and path since their skill set is pretty much their brain. They have their own threats just not from nurses

Any procedural specialty/clinic based specialty is at risk. Surgery would be the safest though.

I've been an Interventional Radiology Special Procedures Technologist for decades. At the large hospital where I work, the departmental director (in charge of both technologists and nurses) was always a technologist. That changed a few years ago when the "Powers That Be" decided that I.R. was going the way of the rest of the hospital, "nurse driven." One of the IR nurses was promoted to Director and the Chief of Interventional Radiology (who once promised us that a nurse would never be in charge of the technologists) has pretty much been relegated to the posititon of Figurehead.

It used to be that nurses only worked in the "pre": working up the patients, going through their incessant and endless list of lists, as well as working in the labs monitoring patients under anesthesia. Soon, In spite of the fact that Technologists are trained and perfectly capable of pushing meds under the supervision of a Radiologist, as the dept went nurse driven, more nurses had to be hired: one for each lab, at least five to six for the pre, and four more for the clinic; and then there were arbitrary rules, like there must be a nurse in the room for every PICC, etc. (However, when you call the director out for giving too many nurses the day off and leaving the dept short, she'll say that it's okay for a nurse not to be in the room during the PICC as long as there are two technologists....the amount of technologists in the labs when the nurses started.)

You're probably wondering how all this has worked out? Well, the Department is definitely nurse-driven, all right, driven into the ground. IMO, the model should be called, "Nurse Drivel". The Department is disorganized and chaotic, patient safety issues arise just about every other day, the patients are kept waiting for long periods of time, referring physicians get pissed, the nurses are always whining about one thing or another and general morale is in the toilet.

More to the point, you're probably wondering what all of this has to do within the context of your discussion; afterall, it's really only the technologists who've been downgraded to the veritable 'non-essential' class, right? Well, you could look at it that way, but it would be a short-sighted view. Since the 'takeover," conditions within the Department have gotten so bad that four of our best physicians left. The numbers are way down, so when and if the physicians want or need funding for a new program, education or even equipment, they get laughed at. And I feel really, really sorry for the fellows and residents--the few physicians we have left are mostly overwhelmed and dealing with mishaps and 'things not going right' on a daily basis; thus the poor fellows and residents are often left to flounder and find themselves in potentially dangerous situations when learning a procedure because the physician is not readily available and the rest of the department is so dysfunctional that it is laughable.

And believe me, there's been talk of the nurses getting an additional radiology credential which could allow them to do some filming, etc. However, at this point, I'm not too worried about that as I see how inept they are at even the simplest things and for them to even go there would actually require work. In addition, I'd like to think the nurses realize they don't know ionizing radiation from their blow dryers, but I've seen them come up with some pretty stupid ideas, so who knows.

Thanks for reading the vent if you made it this far.

What training do you have in pushing meds? Just wondering as I used to review charts for malpractice lawyers. I had to nail a rad tech as he didn't check to make sure the IV wasn't infiltrated before pushing the dye. Patient came in with a headache and left minus his arm.

I should be asking you what training you have as a rad tech. Why in the heck would a malpractice lawyer ask you to review a chart and nail a RadTech? ARE you one? If not, the malpractice attorney was commiting malpractice. You can only testify as an expert witness about the standard of care within your own area of expertise. You can't be say, a cardiologist, and review a chart to determine whether a radiologist violated the standard of care for his specialty. To answer your question, I went to an excellent hospital-based radiologic school which was a two-year program, excluding hospital rounds. In addition, there was the training for ACLS certification, as well as ARRT approved continuing ed to requirements to renew my RT and CV certifications every year. But if you were hired to "nail" (poor choice of words) a rad tech, you should know all of this.

Well, you just told us a lot about yourself. I consulted for malpractice attorneys to make sure they were going after the "correct" person, in this case a rad tech who didn't make sure the IV was patent, which was his job since he was about to inject. I didn't have to know jack about his background, only that he was the last person to harm the patient. Pick your low self-esteem up off the floor and now tell me what medication training rad techs get. I don't care about your certifications.

Well I should have low self esteem if I didn't make it clear that training for pushing certain meds was part of and incorporated within the radiologic program. I assumed it would be inferred, so my bad. What more can I give you, course names? I graduated in the 80s, so that's not happening. So why don't you just get to the point you're trying to make--hopefully--within the context of my post. Is it that nurses are absolutely indispensable in radiology because they could never have made the same mistake?

Well I should have low self esteem if I didn't make it clear that training for pushing certain meds was part of and incorporated within the radiologic program. I assumed it would be inferred, so my bad. What more can I give you, course names? I graduated in the 80s, so that's not happening. So why don't you just get to the point you're trying to make--hopefully--within the context of my post. Is it that nurses are absolutely indispensable in radiology because they could never have made the same mistake?

Well I've been in healthcare for over 40 years and I know better than to take anything for granted. I also know there might be a reason nurses are in your deptartment. The fact that the nurses in your department aren't any good, according to you, doesn't mean they aren't very good elsewhere. Ranting is fine and serves a purpose. My point continues to be the same as I merely wanted to know what med training rad techs have. Apparently it will be easier for me to just go check out the curriculum.

There are many institutions where rad techs push meds. They received their training on the job via radiologists or PAs. They look for all the signs, as anybody else would. It was unfortunate that that happened to the pt. We were always taught to check for these kinds of problems. He/she made a bad mistake and should receive proper discipline. In the the departments where I have worked, the techs preferred the nurses stay in the pre/post treatment areas. We feel it works much better that way.

My point wasn't that nurses shouldn't be in the department or that they are not valuable elsewhere. The problem is that the "nurse driven" model is not conducive to a radiology department. In a radiology dept with strong techs and physicians, trying to put nurses at the center of it all is somewhat redundant and usually a pain in the ass. There is a different idealogy between nurses and technologists and nurses seem to have a really hard time understanding the concept of what we do, that some procedures require deeper sedation than others, and that in the end it's really about what's best for the patient.

One thing I should explain about the ranting. Ever since there's been a nurse in charge of dept. administration, there IS more and more attitude floating around from the nurses that they are the end-all-and-be-all, the cog in the wheel. They are shocked to leam that the technologists can and have actually pushed meds and are at least equally educated in anatomy, physiology, etc. They act like the hospital just pulled us all off the street from valet parking jobs. The truth is we can run the department without a nurse, but they can't run the department without technologists and the physcians. BUT that doesn't stop them from complaining that they're working too hard, they don't want to take call, blah, blah. They sit around up front, half dozen at a time, and can't even run the board properly because they don't know anything about the cases or the equipment. They don't care one iota about diagnositc radiology--they're in it because it's a heck of a lot easier than being on a unit. In the meantime, some really good technologists, who really took pride in providing good service through our profession, are, quite frankly, embarrased when we see what patients, families, referring physicians, and student doctors see and have to go through during an encounter with our department.

Thanks. Hope it gets better for you and the other techs. I almost dated a rad tech when I was younger but was afraid she'd see right through me.

Thanks. Hope it gets better for you and the other techs. I almost dated a rad tech when I was younger but was afraid she'd see right through me.

Hah, hah, hah! Can't say I never heard that one before, but you've got da hospital humor - good for you.

All I can say is, what some my graduating students said one year, "Thanks for the tips." See attachment.

Attachments

• Thanks4theTip2-RSd (640x272).jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
At the end of the day, we are all here for patient care. I am a Family Medicine resident in Minnesota, and here the RNs have a lot of power. I plan on learning as many procedures as I can to enhance my future practice, so I don't really feel threatened by nurses. Just my two cents.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2