What are your reasons for NOT becoming a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tia_bluesky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many people give lists of why they should but my question is why one should not become a doctor. I have doubts mainly because my family and boy friend are forcing their own ideas and suggestions on me scaring me into not pursuing the profession. Would you consider the lack of a social life, lack of an opportunity to meet your future spouse and possibility of a relapse of depression valid reasons?
Can you list the reasons NOT pursue a career in MD and your counter arguments as to why those reasons hold little weight to your decision to become an MD/DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Lack of a social life? -- Guess that depends on how you define social life. In med school ans as a physician, you will socialize with other med students and doctors. Less bar time, certainly, but that may not be such a bad thing...

Less opportunity to meet your future spouse? -- Guess boyfriend's already taking himself out of the picture? Anyway - MORE opportunity to meet people in the medical professions; less opportunity to meet people outside. Again, not necessarily a bad thing. I'm old enough to remember ads for med. asst. or nursing programs that advertised the opportunity to "Work with doctors!"

Possible relapse of depression? -- Probably true. Of course, giving up on your dream job could trigger a relapse of depression also. Or believing other people's non-supportive and undermining scripts. You'll need a good amount of determination to succeed.

Your family and boyfriend know you and care about you, so don't ignore their advice entirely. But realize also that they may be reflecting their own insecurities, biases, worries, self-interests, etc. Consider what they say, and see if you agree with it. It's your life.

Reactions: 1 user