What can I do medically related while in High School

AaVa18

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteer at a local hospital for 2 hours every weekend and I've been doing it since last year. I also temporarily volunteered at a nursing home and a camp for disabled kids. I'm part of ems club but I'm not an emt. I'm also planning on shadowing my aunt who is a doctor. For this summer, I've applied to 3 pre-med/bio summer programs that I'm not feeling confident that I'll get into. I got into an Intro to Nursing program at Adelphi but I'm not sure I should attend as its $4000 for 12 days and it's focused on becoming a nurse not a physician.

What other medically inclined activities can I do while in High School (junior year rn) to stand out from my competition? I live only an hour away from NYC yet I don't see any opportunities there...

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don't do the nursing program, it sounds like a ridiculous waste of money.

You sound like you're in good shape, no need to add anything else to your plate unless you find something you're genuinely interested in. Nothing from high school goes on your medical school application, so the things you're doing now won't help you "stand out from your competition."

Definitely don't do the nursing program, it sounds like a ridiculous waste of money.

You sound like you're in good shape, no need to add anything else to your plate unless you find something you're genuinely interested in. Nothing from high school goes on your medical school application, so the things you're doing now won't help you "stand out from your competition."

The thing is tho my gpa is in the B range and I'm not planning on going through the traditional route (4 years pre-med then apply to med school). I'm trying to get into an accelerated program (bs/md or ba/md)

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is tho my gpa is in the B range and I'm not planning on going through the traditional route (4 years pre-med then apply to med school). I'm trying to get into an accelerated program (bs/md or ba/md)
I don't know much about those accelerated programs, but I've heard they're incredibly competitive, so if you're a junior and your gpa is in the B range then it's probably not an option for you. Those accelerated programs are kind of pointless anyways.

I volunteer at a local hospital for 2 hours every weekend and I've been doing it since last year. I also temporarily volunteered at a nursing home and a camp for disabled kids. I'm part of ems club but I'm not an emt. I'm also planning on shadowing my aunt who is a doctor. For this summer, I've applied to 3 pre-med/bio summer programs that I'm not feeling confident that I'll get into. I got into an Intro to Nursing program at Adelphi but I'm not sure I should attend as its $4000 for 12 days and it's focused on becoming a nurse not a physician.

What other medically inclined activities can I do while in High School (junior year rn) to stand out from my competition? I live only an hour away from NYC yet I don't see any opportunities there...

In terms of medically-related extracurriculars, you're fine. I'm a high schooler, and I also volunteer at a hospital on weekends. In addition to that, I occasionally shadow local doctors. In high school you don't need to worry so much about extracurriculars that are related to medicine; there's gonna be plenty of time for that in college.

By the way, like walloobi said, the nursing program is probably something you shouldn't do. Four grand is a lot, especially for a 12-day nursing program.

Last edited: