What can I do to improve my MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k4kansas

Reaction score
I have taken the MCAT three times: 496 (123/126/123/124), 496 (123/125/124/124), and 498 (125/125/124/124). I want to get my score to the 510 range.

Before, I focused a lot on how to answer the MCAT's questions and how to read the passages. I have a pretty good grip on how the exam asks questions, question stems, and what topics will appear on the exam. On practice exams (AAMC and Altius) I usually scored around my goal (510-ish). Note: I self studied for each exam I took. I had no tutors or coaching.

I think I might be lacking in content knowledge. Occasionally, I am unable to connect what I remember from content with the question being asked and the given passage. There is also sometimes disconnect between the question and the passage itself.

I want to take the MCAT again, but I am unsure how to approach studying this time around. What do I focus on? Is there a certain MCAT prep course that would help? I'd really appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You were averaging around 510 on AAMC FL exams and scored sub 500 3 times on the actual thing? That doesn't make a ton of sense. Were these exams simulating testing conditions? I.e. timed, full thing taken in one sitting, no access to outside sources of any kind? The AAMC Section Banks are really good at identifying content gaps. Did you go through those? What did you typically score?

Reactions: 3 users
It could help to balance your content review and practice questions (i.e. review a section and then do subject specific questions). If you were scoring in the 510's on your practice exams, it could also be test anxieties. If that's the case, it could be helpful to emulate the exam experience as much as possible with timed questions you haven't seen before.

-Neal, Elite Medical Prep Tutor

Hi there! Preparing for the MCAT can be daunting for sure, and you really need to make sure you are doing the right kind of practice. It sounds like you are familiar with the test and the different types of questions, and you have already identified a need for reviewing content a little further. In terms of your actual practice, let me share some strategies that you can incorporate to your routine in order to gain a better understanding of the material and improve your performance. Do content review with ACTIVE learning (taking notes is not enough. You should also draw visuals, explain the material out loud in your own words, or try to teach it to a friend). Read the passage carefully but do not get bogged down in details (remember to pay attention to timing!). Highlight key phrases as you go. Note down the main point of each paragraph and then the central thesis of the passage as a whole. Read the question stem carefully and identify the question type. If the question is passage based, return to the relevant passage section to find the answer. Before reading the answer choices, come up with your own answer. Match your answer choice to one of the 4 given choices (go for the closest match). If you do not know the answer within 1 minute, flag the question and return to it later if you have time. If you have 30 seconds or less left on the whole section, pick a letter and answer. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user