What constitutes strong ties to a state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kjw1024

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I searched previous threads concerning my question, but none answered them appropriately. I apologize if I missed an answer however, so moderators please feel free to delete or combine this thread if this is the case!

I'm a bit confused as to how you show schools that you have strong ties to a state and what exactly constitutes strong ties.

I was born and raised in CT, and lived there until I was about 16-17 years old. My parents live in NYC, I moved there my junior/senior year of high school and also went to private school and undergrad in NY. I currently live in MD and have this listed as my state of residence. Lastly, my fiance's family has a house in Vermont that I have visited yearly for the past 8 years. Would all of these count as strong state ties?

Additionally, where on your application would you indicate these ties? Is there some way to notify the school prior to receiving secondaries? These are the questions that I'm really having issues locating an answer to!

Thank you so much in advance for any response, I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone!

I searched previous threads concerning my question, but none answered them appropriately. I apologize if I missed an answer however, so moderators please feel free to delete or combine this thread if this is the case!

I'm a bit confused as to how you show schools that you have strong ties to a state and what exactly constitutes strong ties.

I was born and raised in CT, and lived there until I was about 16-17 years old. My parents live in NYC, I moved there my junior/senior year of high school and also went to private school and undergrad in NY. I currently live in MD and have this listed as my state of residence. Lastly, my fiance's family has a house in Vermont that I have visited yearly for the past 8 years. Would all of these count as strong state ties?

Additionally, where on your application would you indicate these ties? Is there some way to notify the school prior to receiving secondaries? These are the questions that I'm really having issues locating an answer to!

Thank you so much in advance for any response, I really appreciate it!

While I certainly can't give an exhaustive list, here are a few things that would probably qualify:

1. Having immediate family living in the state

2. Having an SO (preferably long term with intent to build a life together) who lives in the state

3. Having lived (not just vacationed) in the state for >5 years (in other words, not just for undergraduate, though this point is certainly up for debate) with a strong desire to live there permanently.

There are definitely more criteria that could qualify, but certainly at my institution, I would say that blood or romantic attachments to a state tend to be taken more seriously than other kinds of attachments. Strong feelings for a state or nostalgia generally need to be backed up in a more concrete way for them to be taken seriously.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this is a subjective topic depending on the adcom. I would say you have strong ties to CT and NY. You probably have strong ties to MD depending on how long you've lived there. You definitely do not have ties to VT based on your description. Schools will usually have a place in their secondary for you to describe your ties if they care about it

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the prompt responses trino and tantacles!

This makes a lot of sense-- bummer on VT as UVM is on the top of my list. Hopefully since they take a significant number of OOS applicants, I still stand a shot :).

This makes a lot of sense-- bummer on VT as UVM is on the top of my list. Hopefully since they take a significant number of OOS applicants, I still stand a shot :).

As a New Englander, I got an interview despite no ties to the state, so it's definitely not out of the question. Just take note of their mission statement and try to cater your secondary application to them as well you can.

As a New Englander, I got an interview despite no ties to the state, so it's definitely not out of the question. Just take note of their mission statement and try to cater your secondary application to them as well you can.

Thank you tantacles! I will definitely do that, really appreciate the advice :D.

I think this is a subjective topic depending on the adcom. I would say you have strong ties to CT and NY. You probably have strong ties to MD depending on how long you've lived there. You definitely do not have ties to VT based on your description. Schools will usually have a place in their secondary for you to describe your ties if they care about it
Agree with this.

OP, you have strong ties to the two states where you used to live. You do not have strong ties to any states where your fiance used to live.

Hi QofQuimica- thanks for chiming in with your thoughts! I definitely agree with everything you guys have said and will go with my strong ties to NY and CT :).

It seems to depend on the school.

I was told by one school this year that despite having lived in this state for 15 years, voting in the state, sending my kid to local schools, having a synagogue membership, paying property tax, a GA license, a grandma who is a part time resident, and having a father who just moved here and another grandmother that is full time here, that I didn't have strong ties because my partner was temporarily a resident of another state for work. They said NH was my strong ties despite at the time I had never stepped foot in NH. They also said I had stronger ties to Florida because I was born there, had lived there for 18 years and where my mother lives, but it was a state I had not been in for over a decade. I honestly don't get it.

When my partner got a new job which would allow him to move back south, I updated the school and was given a waitlist. (Last year I was rejected)

I wouldn't worry about being out of state and applying to Vermont. They take so many out of staters that your chances are basically as good there as at most private schools anyway.

I have strong emotional ties to California. In more than one dream, I managed to find a tunnel that somehow took me from NYC to San Francisco. I wish that tunnel were real.

But anyway, about your residency dilemma- I believe it varies from state to state. You'd have a stronger case for a specific state if you paid taxes there, voted there, had a bank account there etc.
Here is a California form for residency. It might give you some clues:
http://registrar.ucsf.edu/sites/registrar.ucsf.edu/files/Reclass.pdf

It seems to depend on the school.

I was told by one school this year that despite having lived in this state for 15 years, voting in the state, sending my kid to local schools, having a synagogue membership, paying property tax, a GA license, a grandma who is a part time resident, and having a father who just moved here and another grandmother that is full time here, that I didn't have strong ties because my partner was temporarily a resident of another state for work. They said NH was my strong ties despite at the time I had never stepped foot in NH. They also said I had stronger ties to Florida because I was born there, had lived there for 18 years and where my mother lives, but it was a state I had not been in for over a decade. I honestly don't get it.

When my partner got a new job which would allow him to move back south, I updated the school and was given a waitlist. (Last year I was rejected)

Wow-- I think this really highlights how random and also individualized residency is for certain schools/states. I certainly didn't realize how strict it could be! Thanks for offering your experience; best wishes and good luck!

I wouldn't worry about being out of state and applying to Vermont. They take so many out of staters that your chances are basically as good there as at most private schools anyway.

Ah, I hope this is true! Really digging this school. Thank you for assuaging some of my fears :).

I have strong emotional ties to California. In more than one dream, I managed to find a tunnel that somehow took me from NYC to San Francisco. I wish that tunnel were real.

But anyway, about your residency dilemma- I believe it varies from state to state. You'd have a stronger case for a specific state if you paid taxes there, voted there, had a bank account there etc.
Here is a California form for residency. It might give you some clues:
http://registrar.ucsf.edu/sites/registrar.ucsf.edu/files/Reclass.pdf

Thanks for the link to the Cali residency form, it definitely helps to understand more concretely what schools are looking for to constitute residency!

A huge thank you again to everyone who has contributed to this thread, the insight into residency/strong ties to a state has been great! :clap:

You're welcome and good luck.

For the record, NH said I had no ties to them and was GA/FL, Florida said I had weak ties to FL and strong ties to GA.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I even had a paper signed by a judge stating I was a resident of GA. Go figure, or maybe Mercer is just really weird. MCG was like, "Can you produce 2 or 3 pieces of evidence that you live in state? Yes? Cool... you're a resident."

Members don't see this ad :)

I second what SN said..
definitely go for it if you love UVM!

Fun fact: there are not enough people living in Vermont who want to go to med school for UVM to build a class with few OOSers, so don't worry.

I second what SN said..
definitely go for it if you love UVM!

Fun fact: there are not enough people living in Vermont who want to go to med school for UVM to build a class with few OOSers, so don't worry.

Thanks for the support and encouragement terp720 and moop!

For the record, NH said I had no ties to them and was GA/FL, Florida said I had weak ties to FL and strong ties to GA.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I even had a paper signed by a judge stating I was a resident of GA. Go figure, or maybe Mercer is just really weird. MCG was like, "Can you produce 2 or 3 pieces of evidence that you live in state? Yes? Cool... you're a resident."

Did you get this feedback about your state ties during your application cycle (ie: during interviews)? Or did you call specific schools to determine qualifications for residency/state ties?

So interesting and strange to see how different states make these decisions-- sounds like you had a difficult experience with this, sorry!

Lol. It's the complete opposite in California.

Man, the Cali application process scares me sometimes haha :inpain:!

Did you get this feedback about your state ties during your application cycle (ie: during interviews)? Or did you call specific schools to determine qualifications for residency/state ties?

So interesting and strange to see how different states make these decisions-- sounds like you had a difficult experience with this, sorry!

It was during the interview for Mercer.

And I inquired for NH and FL for the schools I was applying to.

It was during the interview for Mercer.

And I inquired for NH and FL for the schools I was applying to.

Thank you for your responses familyaerospace-- I've seen some of your posts in the past and I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that things work out this cycle!!

Last edited:

It sounds to me like they were trying to cobble together an excuse to reject you while covering their tracks.

It sounds to me like they were trying to cobble together an excuse to reject you while covering their tracks.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to be honest.

Last year they interviewed me and told me at the interview that I was going to be rejected because they are concerned because I was out in my personal statement (it was very tied into "why medicine" and "why now" but of the thousands of patients I have seen, I only think two people knew as I don't talk about it to patients because it is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS). It was the same interviewer who just asked me random questions like what the capital of North Dakota was, who my favourite early modern European monarch was, steady state vs big bang theory, what the root of twitter was (don't know, I hate twitter).

This year, the interview there was better, but the issue of Georgia loyality came up. Then I ended up on the waitlist (they do reject post-interview). I did just in my "update" letter tell them my husband was currently in the state.

All of this begs the question, why for the love of G-d would they interview me the second round? If one does not like a personal statement, just reject me. My feelings will be hurt, but it is what it is.

I would kill to know where I am on their waitlist and my other school who had also interviewed and waitlisted me last year.

Thank your for your responses familyaerospace-- I've seen some of your posts in the past and I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that things work out this cycle!!

Thank you.

I am only getting back into SDN, I took a little over a year off for my sanity. ;) Adcom friend said to run screaming away.

At three rounds, I just cannot really afford to apply again. Can't afford the discounted MCAT fee to retake the test as mine are all about to expire. If I could afford it, I'd try round four, but at a point this becomes ridiculous.

Thank you.

I am only getting back into SDN, I took a little over a year off for my sanity. ;) Adcom friend said to run screaming away.

At three rounds, I just cannot really afford to apply again. Can't afford the discounted MCAT fee to retake the test as mine are all about to expire. If I could afford it, I'd try round four, but at a point this becomes ridiculous.

I can definitely understand taking time off-- though I've also found sdn to be an amazingly supportive forum as well in my short time participating here.

I'm so impressed by your perseverance in your pursuit of medicine. Some adcom really needs to take notice of this and take you off the wl!!

I can definitely understand taking time off-- though I've also found sdn to be an amazingly supportive forum as well in my short time participating here.

I'm so impressed by your perseverance in your pursuit of medicine. Some adcom really needs to take notice of this and take you off the wl!!

From your lips to their ears. One of the two WLs has had major movement but the other not a word. There are significantly more things that they should be impressed by in addition to me applying for three years. I was homeless when I was studying for the mcat (as well as during part of college) and overcame a few other major issues.

My life has been many things, easy not one of them.

From your lips to their ears. One of the two WLs has had major movement but the other not a word. There are significantly more things that they should be impressed by in addition to me applying for three years. I was homeless when I was studying for the mcat (as well as during part of college) and overcame a few other major issues.

My life has been many things, easy not one of them.

Wow, I can only say that I really hope someone out there is paying attention and that you achieve your dreams familyaerospace! :nod:

Wow, I can only say that I really hope someone out there is paying attention and that you achieve your dreams familyaerospace! :nod:

Thanks, both waitlists are moving now and moving without me. Sigh.

Hello! I know this thread is a few years old so I'm not sure if anyone will see this in time for it to help me out (this is my first post on SDN woo), but I have a couple questions related to state ties if anyone that knows things can help me.

1. Does every secondary, or at least all of the public school ones, have somewhere to talk about state ties?

2. From the posts above, it seems like you really need STRONG state ties to be sure something will count for that. I've lived in the same state my whole life and don't have a significant other living anywhere else either. Is it better to leave the state ties section blank if you don't have really strong state ties or better to come up with something that looks like you actually like the state or the school?
Examples:
- I'm planning on applying to Iowa. My mom went to Iowa for undergrad so I grew up a big Hawkeyes fan. I also know several people that went to Iowa including many friends and my brother's fiancee.
- Also planning to apply to Michigan. My best friend went there and I visited several times and love Ann Arbor. Also been rooting for them in sports the last few years.
- Last one. Applying to Ohio St. No real ties at all. Big football fan, though, so I could say it would be cool to have a reason to be an Ohio St. fan.

I realize those are all pretty weak ties, with my ties to Iowa being greater than my ties to Michigan which are greater than my ties to Ohio St. I was curious if any, or all, of those weak ties are worth mentioning in my application or if I'd be better off leaving that part blank.

Sorry for the long post. New to this game. Any help is much appreciated!

Hello! I know this thread is a few years old so I'm not sure if anyone will see this in time for it to help me out (this is my first post on SDN woo), but I have a couple questions related to state ties if anyone that knows things can help me.

1. Does every secondary, or at least all of the public school ones, have somewhere to talk about state ties?

2. From the posts above, it seems like you really need STRONG state ties to be sure something will count for that. I've lived in the same state my whole life and don't have a significant other living anywhere else either. Is it better to leave the state ties section blank if you don't have really strong state ties or better to come up with something that looks like you actually like the state or the school?
Examples:
- I'm planning on applying to Iowa. My mom went to Iowa for undergrad so I grew up a big Hawkeyes fan. I also know several people that went to Iowa including many friends and my brother's fiancee.
- Also planning to apply to Michigan. My best friend went there and I visited several times and love Ann Arbor. Also been rooting for them in sports the last few years.
- Last one. Applying to Ohio St. No real ties at all. Big football fan, though, so I could say it would be cool to have a reason to be an Ohio St. fan.

I realize those are all pretty weak ties, with my ties to Iowa being greater than my ties to Michigan which are greater than my ties to Ohio St. I was curious if any, or all, of those weak ties are worth mentioning in my application or if I'd be better off leaving that part blank.

Sorry for the long post. New to this game. Any help is much appreciated!
Just start a new thread