What do I do with a 2.4 GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patientlywaiting17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to SDN so please excuse me for being ignorant about certain things.
I'm currently a junior in undergrad and I will be graduating with a 2.4 GPA at most.
I do realize that I will not be applying any time soon and will have to enroll in a post-bacc.
However, even if I do raise my gpa (probably 2.7?) how likely is it that I will get in?
Will a high DAT and 200+ shadowing/experience hours suffice? (All of this may take me 2-3 years to accomplish). During the gap years I plan to study (DAT + post bacc) and work in a dental office as a dental assistant to gain experience.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into dental school? Note that I am serious about this and I will do anything it takes to eventually get into dental school. I'd appreciate some advice and direction on what to do. The premed/predent advisors at my school pretty much shot me down and told me to change my career path when they saw my GPA. So...yea. :/

Much help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You work your butt off for the rest of your undergrad. Salvage what you can and if it gets over 3.0, then you can do a formal post-bacc or masters and do extremely well in that. Good luck. Think hard about if this is what you truly want to do. It's going to a long journey. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
If you graduate with 2.4 you will struggle with gaining an acceptance into post-bacc or SMP. I highly suggest that you take some extra classes and raise that up somewhere near 3.0, and then enroll into post-bacc/SMP

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very unlikely that you will get in anywhere if you graduate with a 2.4. Even 2.7 will not improve your chances very much. Most dental schools will not see that you have what it takes to succeed in a much more difficult setting.

If you want it, then fight for it. Do a post-bacc, get straight As in upper level science courses, to get your GPA up to a 3.0 so you can apply for a graduate program then maintain above a 3.8+ GPA. You will need to have stellar DAT scores.

I've had several classmates drop from my program. It isn't easy. You need to prove your capacity as a doctoral student.

You will most definitely have to go and do a post-bac or a masters program in addition to having a very solid application (essays, LORs, etc.). Also you will have to destroy the DAT 22+ on AA. I graduated with a 2.69 in compSci, had work exp, went back to school, got a masters, scored a 23AA, and got accepted this year after 2 cycles. It is definitely possible. It just comes down to how much you want it. Best of luck.

Reactions: 7 users
Being realistic, I think it's not going to happen even with a post-bach or masters program. You're too far down the hole. What will you do if you don't get in? I'm not saying that to be a douche, but considering your chances are slim even if you do manage to do a complete 180, what are you going to do if you still can't get in? A post-bach or masters costs a lot of time and $ and if you're doing a science related one the employment prospects are low.

Thank you all for the replies.
Technically speaking, if I do get all A's with an exception of 2-3 B's senior year (which is extremely hard...but nothing is impossible) then I can graduate with a 2.78 -2.80 gpa.
The reason why I said 2.4 gpa (at most) initially, was because I was basically assuming I would continue to get B's and C's (better to underestimate than to overestimate). I am trying really hard to improve on my studying skills so that this doesn't happen. But this would be what will happen if I don't get my act together by then. I am determined to improve though.

I'm in no rush; the avg age to attend dental school is like 24-26? I just barely turned 21...come on. How can I give up so soon?

P.S. To those who are telling me to just change my career: lol no.

Reactions: 2 users
Technically speaking, if I do get all A's with an exception of 2-3 B's senior year (which is extremely hard...but nothing is impossible) then I can graduate with a 2.78 -2.80 gpa.
The reason why I said 2.4 gpa (at most) initially, was because I was basically assuming I would continue to get B's and C's (better to underestimate than to overestimate). I am trying really hard to improve on my studying skills so that this doesn't happen. But this would be what will happen if I don't get my act together by then. I am determined to improve though.

I'm in no rush; the avg age to attend dental school is like 24-26? I just barely turned 21...come on. How can I give up so soon?

I mean not to be mean but what do you really expect people to react whenever they see 2.4 GPA like yes of course there's always those underdog stories where people can definitely make it. But it's extremely difficult and not really a laughing matter. I understand that you want dentistry but dentistry is definitely a very competitive field that allows for little or no mistakes. It takes planning and if you mess up then it takes many more years for you to correct your mistakes. I wish you luck in your endeavor for dentistry but being completely honest you're going to have to aim to be completely perfect from this point onwards not just with GPA DAT but also plenty extracurriculars. I just hope you know how much work you're going to have to put from this point onward.

Honestly, if you're really determined and KNOW dentistry is for you, don't give up! It's honestly not too late for you as long as you have that motivation. But you have to start now in turning yourself around. Get as high of GPA as you can now, then when you graduate you probably need to do take graduate science courses as a Non-Degree student in order to get your GPA up to a 3.0 to apply to a Masters/SMP. You need to get As in all these classes. Get close to a 4.0 as you can in the Masters and have a solid DAT score. A girl in my program had a 2.5 undergrad, got a 4.0 in her masters, and now is one of the top in our class. Don't listen to the people who say you can't do it...you can. It's all about how much you want to work for it.

Here are my questions for you:

Why are you so set on dentistry?

You claim that you said 2.4 because you are not confident in your ability to get above B's and C's for the rest of your time in school. If you don't have the confidence to get above a C or B in UNDERGRAD why are you confident in your ability to actually pass the classes in dental school?

Now GPA isn't everything, but it does show your long-term ability to produce high-quality work. If i were an admissions committee and i saw disappointing performances all throughout undergrad and you're squeaking by with a majority C's and some B's (if you're trying to get B's and C's to get to a 2.4 i can assume your GPA is probably below 2.4 right now which is why i'm saying a majority C's unless you failed a class) you don't show the ability to consistently provide work with high enough quality to pass your dental school classes long term.

in my opinion (and i don't claim to know everything just an opinion) if you want to get into dental school you need to finish your last few semesters with all A's. Then you need to pray that you can get into a 2 years masters program. you need to murder the masters program with a 3.8 or above. Then you need to have a very high DAT score. After all of that if you succeed and also have a ton of shadowing and volunteering experience i think you'll have a shot.

Aim to get nothing but A's from here on out. If you can manage to graduate your Undergrad with a B- GPA (2.7 or higher), then apply for some Masters programs. Most require a 3.0, but who knows, people get lucky, right? Do well on the DAT. Keep fighting until you win. People succeed at greater odds. Why can't you?

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fairly new to SDN so please excuse me for being ignorant about certain things.
I'm currently a junior in undergrad and I will be graduating with a 2.4 GPA at most.
I do realize that I will not be applying any time soon and will have to enroll in a post-bacc.
However, even if I do raise my gpa (probably 2.7?) how likely is it that I will get in?
Will a high DAT and 200+ shadowing/experience hours suffice? (All of this may take me 2-3 years to accomplish). During the gap years I plan to study (DAT + post bacc) and work in a dental office as a dental assistant to gain experience.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into dental school? Note that I am serious about this and I will do anything it takes to eventually get into dental school. I'd appreciate some advice and direction on what to do. The premed/predent advisors at my school pretty much shot me down and told me to change my career path when they saw my GPA. So...yea. :/

Much help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
HI! you should apply to a masters program at Barry Univ. Thier biomedical sciences program is amazing and well worth it!

Find out what easy classes are offered at your school and take them! You should try to graduated with at least a 3.0, even if this means delaying your graduation or taking summer courses like don't leave until you have a 3.0

Good luck :))

Unless you really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really love dentistry, I would go into something else. The amount of classes you'd need to take to raise your GPA to an acceptable mark (3.0+) would cost you tens of thousands of dollars. Then on top of that, you'd need to apply to a LOT of dental schools in hope of getting in your first try (another couple thousand dollars). And in the end, you'll need to shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars for dental school.

tl;dr – your life will be set back 6-8 years from your peers and you will incur an insurmountable amount of debt. Is that what you really want?

In your position, I'm afraid a masters degree would equal $40,000 down the tube and no dental school acceptances. Even on the very off chance you could get in somewhere, you'd almost certainly struggle academically in dental school. Might be time to move on. Not trying to put you down, just trying to be realistic.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 5 users
HI! you should apply to a masters program at Barry Univ. Thier biomedical sciences program is amazing and well worth it!
Everyone praises Barry's biomedical program, I'm actually considering the program myself !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using SDN mobile

Do take what they are telling you with a grain of salt and only pursue it if it's what you really want to do. I was in the same boat as you but have spent the last 2.5 years And I've raised my GPA from a 2.1 to a 3.2. It's possible but it will require a ton of work. If it's what you want to do then go for it! I've had advisors, teachers, and people on SDN tell me I have no chance; use that as motivation if Dentistry is what you really want to do with your life.

Reactions: 8 users
Do take what they are telling you with a grain of salt and only pursue it if it's what you really want to do. I was in the same boat as you but have spent the last 2.5 years And I've raised my GPA from a 2.1 to a 3.2. It's possible but it will require a ton of work. If it's what you want to do then go for it! I've had advisors, teachers, and people on SDN tell me I have no chance; use that as motivation if Dentistry is what you really want to do with your life.

You're right all it takes is hard work.

But most people aren't willing to put they're lives on hold for several years just to have a bad **** at getting in.

I give you props for sure for working hard, but it is definitely a big commitment to get back in the realm of acceptable.

I have previously attended and then worked for an SMP. We would have been very cautious about admitting someone with a 2.4 GPA or even a 2.7 GPA, especially if there was no upward trend in that person's grades. When I say "upward trend", I mean all A's over 4 semesters at least. This is because we have found that people who have <3.0 GPA with no evidence of improvement or ability to handle rigorous, graduate-level courses tend to fail out of the program. Even if they didn't fail out, they usually wouldn't get into dental school because getting even C's in these courses would be fatal to their apps. Admissions committee members know that the courses that you take in an SMP are similar to those you would be taking in dental school, so if you can't do well in the SMP, then the chances of you doing well in dental school is very low.

If you do want to go through with an SMP, you'll have to take enough courses to get over a 3.0 GPA. You will have to get A's in all of these courses, and it would be best if they were upper level science courses. Then, if you're able to get into an SMP, you'll have to get all A's and kill the DAT. This is not a simple task, and it'll cost tens of thousands of dollars just to get to the point of applying to dental school.

That being said, I have seen people do this and get into dental/medical school, but this is very rare, and they typically have something else going for them (e.g., impressive extracurriculars, extenuating life circumstances). I would really reflect on whether you are able to achieve all of this given your previous track record of mostly B's and C's with no upward trend.

Edit: Grammar. That's what I get for SDN'ing while at work :p

Last edited:
I have previously attended and then worked for an SMP. We would have been very cautious about admitting someone with a 2.4 GPA or even a 2.7 GPA, especially if there was no upward trend in that person's grades. When I say "upward trend", I mean all A's over 4 semesters at least. This is because we have found that people who have <3.0 GPA with no evidence of improvement or ability to handle rigorous, graduate-level courses tend to fail out of the program. Even if they didn't fail out, they usually wouldn't get into dental school because getting even C's in these courses would be fatal to their apps. Admissions committee members know that the courses that you take in an SMP are similar to those you would be taking in dental school, so if you can't do well in the SMP, then the chances of you doing well in dental school is very low.

If you do want to go through with an SMP, you'll have to take enough courses to get over a 3.0 GPA. You will have to get A's in all of these courses, and it would be best if they were upper level science courses. Then, if you're able to get into an SMP, you'll have to get all A's and kill the DAT. This is not a simple task, and it'll cost tens of thousands of dollars just to get to the point of applying to dental school.

That being said, I have seen people do this and get into dental/medical school, but this is very rare, and they typically have something else going for them (e.g., impressive extracurriculars, extenuating life circumstances). I would really reflect on whether you are able to achieve all of this given your previous track record of mostly B's and C's with no upward trend.

Edit: Grammar. That's what I get for SDN'ing while at work :p

I have to agree with that your saying. In the past 2.5 years I've basically maintained a 3.95 GPA because I had a couple of A-'s and a B in there somewhere. Its doable but takes a commitment and a lot of stress because off the bat the ADCOMS will see your poor GPA early on and even with an upward trend will question your ability/motivation. Trust me on this, I've cried myself to sleep worrying about it (not really but really doe).

I am generally in awe of all the pre dents who "know" that dentistry is for them, with little more than some shadowing experience at a random dental office. Even more impressed when chances of D school appear slim. There are many other jobs and professions that are easier to obtain, more transferable, and require far less investment. My plumber makes far more money than most dentists. My attorney can work from anywhere in the world on his laptop (no brick and mortar office required), neither of the aforementioned will require the type of tuition or investment as dentistry. Want a competitive job....apply for the DGA trainee program...college degree required.....make some movies.
Just saying that there are other options out there and putting off your life for a dream that may not happen is at best a crapshoot. And take it from me, I have been a dentist for over thirty years,.....there are plenty of unhappy dentists out there. Go to a local society meeting and meet some.

Reactions: 4 users
I have to agree with that your saying. In the past 2.5 years I've basically maintained a 3.95 GPA because I had a couple of A-'s and a B in there somewhere. Its doable but takes a commitment and a lot of stress because off the bat the ADCOMS will see your poor GPA early on and even with an upward trend will question your ability/motivation. Trust me on this, I've cried myself to sleep worrying about it (not really but really doe).

I'm having ugly flashbacks of my pre-med days when I would do the same thing :p This serves as another consideration for the OP though. Are you prepared for this kind of almost constant stress and doubt for the next 4 or so years? (I'm assuming that it would likely take you 4 years to repair your undergrad GPA and complete an SMP). It's truly heinous. Words cannot express the stress you will feel or how low your self-confidence will be.

After going through 4 years of that constant stress, I decided to change careers, and I have never felt more confident and stress-free, honestly. It's not "giving up" to choose a different career. It's smart, shows good insight and maturity, and is overall better for your health.

I'm having ugly flashbacks of my pre-med days when I would do the same thing :p This serves as another consideration for the OP though. Are you prepared for this kind of almost constant stress and doubt for the next 4 or so years? (I'm assuming that it would likely take you 4 years to repair your undergrad GPA and complete an SMP). It's truly heinous. Words cannot express the stress you will feel or how low your self-confidence will be.

After going through 4 years of that constant stress, I decided to change careers, and I have never felt more confident and stress-free, honestly. It's not "giving up" to choose a different career. It's smart, shows good insight and maturity, and is overall better for your health.

It's always nice to hear people who are happy. Only one question comes to mind when I read what you wrote: "Why are you on a pre-dental forum if you changed careers and no longer interested in dental?"

Not judging what you do with your free time. Just genuinely curious.

It's always nice to hear people who are happy. Only one question comes to mind when I read what you wrote: "Why are you on a pre-dental forum if you changed careers and no longer interested in dental?"

Not judging what you do with your free time. Just genuinely curious.

lol not to derail this thread, but it's mostly because I just click around on SDN. I was actually pre-med previously, currently due to begin my MPH in the fall, and have previously served as an academic advisor to both pre-med and pre-dent students in an SMP. I offer advice where I can since I've had such a wide range of experiences in the pre-professional fields. For this thread in particular, I saw people recommending masters/SMPs to OP, and I thought I would chime in with my experiences, especially since OP is unlikely to get into an SMP with their GPA as it is now.

Hi!
I'm glad you have found inner peace and satisfaction in life. That is most important!

Now let me tell you a bit about my educational background. I'll be honest. I never studied. I mean I never ACTUALLY studied in elementary school, middle school, or high school. "Studying" for me would be glancing at my class notes the night before exams, or memorizing facts and mathematical steps that I KNEW would be on my tests beforehand. I never REALLY understood what I was learning or doing....but I was a diligent student. So what did I get from all that? Straight A's. Teachers loved me. Got me into a selective uni (29% acceptance rate in US).

And this is when I started to struggle. You can't pass college exams with that kind of study habit. But 12+ years of never really learning how to study? The adjustment is huge and it doesn't just take 2 years to simply fix it. That's a recipe for failure!! With the newly found culture shock, it caused me anxiety, low self confidence, depression, and isolation. Now I'm in my second semester of junior year, and I'm slowly raising my exam scores. Let me tell you...it's still not great...but I'm going from low 20-30s to 60-70's on my exams (science classes). And I'm only hoping to continue to increase them.

So what I'm trying to say is that mistakes made in undergrad (when you're 18-22 years old -so young!) really shouldn't determine your entire future. As a to-be 22 year old college graduate next year, I should be finding ways to improve my application and myself to reach my goals in life. Some people don't want to become a doctor or dentist badly enough so they drop out of pre-med/predental once they get a small taste of the stress and slight depression resulted from when they receive low marks from science classes. I have been feeling like I've been sucked into black hole for the past 3 years and I still haven't given up yet I still have not lost my hope or desire to become a dentist. I'm still holding on to that rope, as a young and ambitious 21 year old. Although I should probably work on my mental well being...lol. But I'm still sane, no worries.

I posted this question on SDN to find new insights on how to improve and increase my chances of getting into dental school in the future.
Do people on here think that I haven't heard enough of "Just give up. You have no chance. Why are you even trying? With those grades you're not getting in anywhere. Look for other career options."? ....like seriously. lol

People typically work until they're 65-67 years old. Is a few extra years after undergrad REALLY that much of a waste of time? I'm working towards a stable career that I like. Sure, I can just give up right now and work in an office as an assistant or something (I'm psych major anyways)! Still a decent career...but so UNFULFILLING for ME.

So until I can find where my full potential stops, the race keeps going. If after 4 years of blood, sweat, and tears still doesn't get me into dental school, then I will explore other career options -no problem! That is because I know I have had already given myself a second chance, and I know that I have tried my best.
Still...I'd only be 26! But oh my! I must be old and wrinkly by then. Tsk tsk, I should have used those 4 years to explore and travel the world with a subpar job instead. -->sarcasm detected. What I'm trying to say is that changing careers without even trying is just as dissatisfying and depressing for ME. The only difference is that I have hope when I'm working towards my goal!

"Life is long. Don't settle for less. Always want more in life. Do whatever that makes you happy." is my motto.
Giving up is not in my happy bucket list. And that's just me, personally.

Cheers.

No don't graduate, go and declare another major
Choose something easy: like psychology! or sociology.

You will need 2 years to finish it.
and study for 2 years until your GPA reaches 3.0
Meanwhile, take the DAT during one of these summers

So it will be GPA 3.00 with double Major and also a good DAT score +shadowing.

Postgrad won't help you with anything. It's hard to get A in post grad courses if you already struggled with undergrad.]

Or Major in Geography, how about history, history is fun!

Don't go near English or Art!

Call your dental school adcoms in your state school, express your determination to pursue dentistry, and ask for advice

No don't graduate, go and declare another major
Choose something easy: like psychology! or sociology.

He needs to select a major with mostly courses that will raise his science GPA. Taking a lot of psychology or sociology courses to complete a different major is not going to benefit him, since his science and BCP GPA would remain low.

Hi!
I'm glad you have found inner peace and satisfaction in life. That is most important!

Now let me tell you a bit about my educational background. I'll be honest. I never studied. I mean I never ACTUALLY studied in elementary school, middle school, or high school. "Studying" for me would be glancing at my class notes the night before exams, or memorizing facts and mathematical steps that I KNEW would be on my tests beforehand. I never REALLY understood what I was learning or doing....but I was a diligent student. So what did I get from all that? Straight A's. Teachers loved me. Got me into a selective uni (29% acceptance rate in US).

And this is when I started to struggle. You can't pass college exams with that kind of study habit. But 12+ years of never really learning how to study? The adjustment is huge and it doesn't just take 2 years to simply fix it. That's a recipe for failure!! With the newly found culture shock, it caused me anxiety, low self confidence, depression, and isolation. Now I'm in my second semester of junior year, and I'm slowly raising my exam scores. Let me tell you...it's still not great...but I'm going from low 20-30s to 60-70's on my exams (science classes). And I'm only hoping to continue to increase them.

So what I'm trying to say is that mistakes made in undergrad (when you're 18-22 years old -so young!) really shouldn't determine your entire future. As a to-be 22 year old college graduate next year, I should be finding ways to improve my application and myself to reach my goals in life. Some people don't want to become a doctor or dentist badly enough so they drop out of pre-med/predental once they get a small taste of the stress and slight depression resulted from when they receive low marks from science classes. I have been feeling like I've been sucked into black hole for the past 3 years and I still haven't given up yet I still have not lost my hope or desire to become a dentist. I'm still holding on to that rope, as a young and ambitious 21 year old. Although I should probably work on my mental well being...lol. But I'm still sane, no worries.

I posted this question on SDN to find new insights on how to improve and increase my chances of getting into dental school in the future.
Do people on here think that I haven't heard enough of "Just give up. You have no chance. Why are you even trying? With those grades you're not getting in anywhere. Look for other career options."? ....like seriously. lol

People typically work until they're 65-67 years old. Is a few extra years after undergrad REALLY that much of a waste of time? I'm working towards a stable career that I like. Sure, I can just give up right now and work in an office as an assistant or something (I'm psych major anyways)! Still a decent career...but so UNFULFILLING for ME.

So until I can find where my full potential stops, the race keeps going. If after 4 years of blood, sweat, and tears still doesn't get me into dental school, then I will explore other career options -no problem! That is because I know I have had already given myself a second chance, and I know that I have tried my best.
Still...I'd only be 26! But oh my! I must be old and wrinkly by then. Tsk tsk, I should have used those 4 years to explore and travel the world with a subpar job instead. -->sarcasm detected. What I'm trying to say is that changing careers without even trying is just as dissatisfying and depressing for ME. The only difference is that I have hope when I'm working towards my goal!

"Life is long. Don't settle for less. Always want more in life. Do whatever that makes you happy." is my motto.

Cheers.
That's why you have that 2.4 GPA. I am not trying to be harsh or anything but even if you do a SMP or a postbacc you will not be successful. You have to change your study habits.

Hi!

Cheers.

Great to see your positivity, keep up the good work!

Hi!

Cheers.

I was in the EXACT same situation as yours... I breezed through high school to the point where I passed most science APs in sophomore year without much studying at all. After leaving high school sophomore year and finishing my associate degree with mediocre grades and transferred to a ~35% acceptance rate university, I suffered HARD in the large-sized lecture halls where I can't keep myself motivated and ended up getting Ds, Fs, and Ws the year right after transferring.

For me motivation is a big thing... For the past two quarters I have been doing the best in my education career (getting straight As, A+ and at worst B+). Here are a couple of tips from my personal experiences:
1. Don't overload yourself with science courses. Take 2-3 upper div science courses at most a quarter/semester. And for the first quarter/semester right after very bad grades, try 1-2.
2. Take a course that you really really like each quarter. For me it's taking Japanese. Courses that you really like can keep yourself motivated to stay more energetic throughout the day as well as getting a good grade in that course.
3. Take some filler courses or seminars that are very easy to get As. Science courses are even better. This is very important to keep you confident in yourself!

By following these steps I've managed to turn my 0.00-1.00 quarter GPAs (almost got kicked out) into 3.9+ quarter GPAs and about to graduate with a 3.80 GPA (after retaking the Ds and Fs). If I can do it I'm sure you can too!

You have a whole year left in undergrad and I was in your situation junior year too so I'm sure you can pull your GPA above 2.4. If you want to raise your GPA even higher AFTER you can get good grades you should follow other posters' advice and take a minor or second major to increase your GPA then take on a post-doc/master's (which is what I am going to do next year as well). Good luck to both of us!

Last edited:
That's why you have that 2.4 GPA. I am not trying to be harsh or anything but even if you do a SMP or a postbacc you will not be successful. You have to change your study habits.

LOL yes, clearly I have to change my study habits. Thanks, I didn't realize that!

How did you study for your courses ? Any tips that you can offer to help others along the way ?

How did you study for your courses ? Any tips that you can offer to help others along the way ?

do the basic stuff...
take good notes, go to office hours, ask questions, read the book, find a tutor, join a study group

I did not do most of those things and I ended up with a really low GPA. During my postbacc I changed my study habits. I studied the book religiously, went to office hours. I started recording the lectures and that really helped. Most of the time I listened to the recording right after lecture. Everyone is different. You have to try out things and see what works best for you. I tried cramming in undergrad and that didn't work for me, so I knew I had to change something or it was going to be the same thing all over again.

Hope that helped.

I was in the EXACT same situation as yours... I breezed through high school to the point where I passed most science APs in sophomore year without much studying at all. After leaving high school sophomore year and finishing my associate degree with mediocre grades and transferred to a ~35% acceptance rate university, I suffered HARD in the large-sized lecture halls where I can't keep myself motivated and ended up getting Ds, Fs, and Ws the year right after transferring.

For me motivation is a big thing... For the past two quarters I have been doing the best in my education career (getting straight As, A+ and at worst B+). Here are a couple of tips from my personal experiences:
1. Don't overload yourself with science courses. Take 2-3 upper div science courses at most a quarter/semester. And for the first quarter/semester right after very bad grades, try 1-2.
2. Take a course that you really really like each quarter. For me it's taking Japanese. Courses that you really like can keep yourself motivated to stay more energetic throughout the day as well as getting a good grade in that course.
3. Take some filler courses or seminars that are very easy to get As. Science courses are even better. This is very important to keep you confident in yourself!

By following these steps I've managed to turn my 0.00-1.00 quarter GPAs (almost got kicked out) into 3.9+ quarter GPAs and about to graduate with a 3.80 GPA (after retaking the Ds and Fs). If I can do it I'm sure you can too!

You have a whole year left in undergrad and I was in your situation junior year too so I'm sure you can pull your GPA above 2.4. If you want to raise your GPA even higher AFTER you can get good grades you should follow other posters' advice and take a minor or second major to increase your GPA then take on a post-doc/master's (which is what I am going to do next year as well). Good luck to both of us!
Is that your aadsas GPA right now? Because I know that you have to still count your D's and F's so I am wondering how it's still that high. I had one D and and F (retook them) and couple C's in college but still ended up with an aadsas GPA of 3.1-3.2

LOL yes, clearly I have to change my study habits. Thanks, I didn't realize that!
I didn't mean to be harsh or anything. My undergrad GPA was 2.5 and when I went in to the my postbacc program's adviser office with my transcripts she threw it in the trash can. She said I had no chance of getting in even if i got a 4.0.... i got in first try....

Reactions: 6 users
Is that your aadsas GPA right now? Because I know that you have to still count your D's and F's so I am wondering how it's still that high. I had one D and and F (retook them) and couple C's in college but still ended up with an aadsas GPA of 3.1-3.2
Nope that's my degree GPA on transcript, which would qualify me for latin honors. My aadsas GPA would be around 3.27 for science and 3.43 overall. Those Ds and Fs really hurt... Without them I am looking at 3.6-3.7 for both.

That raises another question.. When you are applying for post-bacc and master's do they look at aadsas GPA or undergrad institution's GPA on transcript?

I know for master's and phD degrees at my school they look at institution's GPA, but I'm not sure about SMPs and post-bacc..

If you really love dentistry why not just settle for being a hygienist? There's other ways to practice what you love ya know

I am generally in awe of all the pre dents who "know" that dentistry is for them, with little more than some shadowing experience at a random dental office. Even more impressed when chances of D school appear slim.
Curious to see what unique experience sparked your interest in dentistry then

A few years ago I was in the same position as you but was afraid to post on SDN because of the negative responses I was likely to hear. If you really want this, you will have to tune out the negativity and from this point forward do everything in your power to do well in your classes. No more laziness, no more excuses. Talk to classmates, talk to professors and figure out study habits that work for you. For the rest of undergrad, you will need to get straight As. This is what I told myself all throughout my postbac. Failure is not an option at this point and you will not get second chances. You seem to have the right mindset.

Anyways, depending on the amount of units you have taken, GPA repair for a 2.4 will be very costly. I would recommend inputting your grades into an excel spreadsheet or use an online GPA calculator to see how many units of straight As you would need to take in order to raise your GPA to even a 3.0. You will need to kill the DAT. Master Yoda gave good advice above.

I've taken about 65 units of postbac getting straight As, just to raise my GPA by 0.25. Again, GPA repair is very costly. Consider all these things.

I had a 2.9 at the start of junior year and I thought that was hard.

If you really love dentistry why not just settle for being a hygienist? There's other ways to practice what you love ya know

Careful, last time I suggested someone look into becoming a dental therapist instead a few people flipped out.

Careful, last time I suggested someone look into becoming a dental therapist instead a few people flipped out.
Well if they get mad it just means they don't love dentistry.. if they truly wanted to be a dentist they would of taken the time to get proper grades.

Look, I'll be honest here, I'd change careers. I've got a 3.4 and 20 DAT and didnt get an interview this year...

There are loads of careers in STEM that are engaging and interesting. Look into C.S. or Engineering.

Besides, you dont need fantastic grades if you have an engineering degree. Just the undergrad degree. You can just switch majors.

If it's what you are going to die doing and you KNOW it, you need to get strait A's, no exceptions, do a masters in something while studying for a YEAR for the DAT to get a 24+ and you can get in. It's just a lot of extra work for someone that hasnt proven that they can get strait A's in STEM classes. I'd rather be a realist with you and tell you what I really think.

Besides, you cant just "take your time", a lot of schools will look at your course-load also and be like... can this guy handle the equivalent of 26+ university stem course credits at once?

Last edited:
He needs to select a major with mostly courses that will raise his science GPA. Taking a lot of psychology or sociology courses to complete a different major is not going to benefit him, since his science and BCP GPA would remain low.
\

True, I should have added that he needs to retake his science pre-requisite courses, but he needs to declare another major a more friendly major.

You realize his gpa is too low! no most undergrad schools won't even accept him if he had such score in a community and wanted to transfer. I am trying to be realistic here!

I mean, he needs to start all over again. Telling him to take post grad won't do him any good since he didn't do well in undergrad anyway.

He better stays at school than graduate because

If he declares another major since he already has a lot of credits he'll always get to register for classes first, that means he gets to choose the best professors available instead of registering at the end and taking what's left.

Also, I am not sure if he'll get financial aid, but not graduating is better financial aid wise if he hasn't reached the limit yet.

Look, I'll be honest here, I'd change careers. I've got a 3.4 and 20 DAT and didnt get an interview this year...

There are loads of careers in STEM that are engaging and interesting. Look into C.S. or Engineering.

Besides, you dont need fantastic grades if you have an engineering degree. Just the undergrad degree. Switch majors.

If it's what you are going to die doing and you KNOW it, you need to get strait A's, no exceptions, do a masters in something while studying for a YEAR for the DAT to get a 24+ and you can get in. It's just a lot of extra work for someone that hasnt proven that they can get strait A's in STEM classes. I'd rather be a realist with you and tell you what I really think.

Besides, you cant just "take your time", a lot of schools will look at your course-load also and be like... can this guy handle the equivalent of 26+ university stem course credits at once?

As if C.S is easy. C.S is harder than what most of the people here studies
it requires someone who is smart in:

1) logic
2)math
3) has sufficient coding background

CS is the future, and it's not for everyone. It needs dedication, passion, time, intelligence and thinking outside of the box.

It's a great career, but if he's not good in math and logic, he won't survive there. Same applies for engineering.
Saturation is real in engineering. They want to hire people with high gpa.